Battlefront's "Battle of Jakku" DLC Introduces Epic Turning Point Mode

Battlefront's "Battle of Jakku" DLC Introduces Epic Turning Point Mode

Star Wars Battlefront's Turning Point mode lets Rebels assault an Imperial base, starting with the starship graveyard from "Battle of Jakku".

The long-anticipated Star Wars Battlefront arrived last week, and while it doesn't have a huge range of maps, there's more than enough gameplay modes to keep players busy. In fact, DICE will be adding yet another to the game with next week's "Battle of Jakku" DLC map. This new mode is called "Turning Point", and it aims to recreate the tense experience of weakening Imperial forces before the Rebellion launches its final assault on their main base.

First, a little context about Jakku: We know it as the desert planet from The Force Awakens' trailers, where a Star Destroyer wreckage lies in the sand. But immediately following Return of the Jedi, this world was the setting of an intense battle where the Rebellion clashed with entrenched Imperial forces. Star Wars Battlefront will be recreating this engagement with its first DLC, and is rolling out the Turning Point DLC to mark the occasion.

Turning Point flips the dynamic of Walker Assault by putting the Empire on the denfensive against Rebel forces in a large-scale battle. The 40-player match opens with the Empire in control of the map, while Rebels assault three different control points. Capturing a control point unlocks a new point deeper within the map, until the Rebels can finally attack the central base. But there's one more twist separating Turning Point from, say, Supremacy: Capture percentages do not reset once you drive the Rebels away. While the Empire starts from a position of strength, the Rebels can slowly wear them down, eventually breaking through defenses to a final confrontation.

"At the edge of the map, the Empire has constructed a make-shift base as well as smaller fortifications strewn across the landscape," lead level designer Dennis Brännvall said. "Rebels need to locate and capture one of three control points in Imperial control. The clock is ticking, but if the Rebel team succeeds with a capture additional time will be added and new control points will be available for capture."

The Battle of Jakku seems like an appropriate place to launch the new gameplay mode, not to mention a great way to get Star Wars fans excited for The Force Awakens next month. DICE's "Battle of Jakku" DLC launches on Monday for Battlefront preorder customers before being unlocked for everyone else on Dec. 1, 2015.

Source: Star Wars Battlefront, via Eurogamer

Which, later on, won't even matter and they're going to begin to bleed players out again because the base gameplay will still be the same boring stuff.

Wait, they're selling map DLC ALREADY??

Wow...just wow...

kajinking:
Wait, they're selling map DLC ALREADY??

Wow...just wow...

The pre-orders were sold on the basis of getting the first map DLC for free.

Come on, this EA we're talking about here, they were selling DLC from the moment the game was announced, quite literally.

Anyway, the first DLC for Battlefront is... Rush mode. Welcome to 2008 people!

fix-the-spade:

The pre-orders were sold on the basis of getting the first map DLC for free.!

Actually the DLC's going to be free regardless, it's just that the ones who preordered can get it a week early.

The other DLC that EA's planned? Yeah, if you want to buy them you'll be basically paying for Star Wars Battlefront twice.

Can we give the Rebels tv show to the team that does the EA Pre-rendered cut scenes? The one thing they do know how to do is make things look good.

The biggest problem I see with all that is all these epic things are happening... and you're stuck as a mook running around on foot.

Ldude893:
Actually the DLC's going to be free regardless, it's just that the ones who preordered can get it a week early.

The other DLC that EA's planned? Yeah, if you want to buy them you'll be basically paying for Star Wars Battlefront twice.

Well that slightly less terrible than usual, slightly.

Fanghawk:
The Battle of Jakku seems like an appropriate place to launch the new gameplay mode, not to mention a great way to get Star Wars fans excited for The Force Awakens next month. DICE's "Battle of Jakku" DLC launches on Monday for Battlefront preorder customers before going on sale for everyone else on Dec. 1, 2015.

Yeah, going on sale for $0.00.
I'm no fan of EA, but it seems rather deceptive to say this when the DLC is apparently free.

FirstNameLastName:

Fanghawk:
The Battle of Jakku seems like an appropriate place to launch the new gameplay mode, not to mention a great way to get Star Wars fans excited for The Force Awakens next month. DICE's "Battle of Jakku" DLC launches on Monday for Battlefront preorder customers before going on sale for everyone else on Dec. 1, 2015.

I'm no fan of EA, but it seems rather deceptive to say this when the DLC is apparently free.

Isn't it just free for people who have Pre-ordered? everyone has to pay? Maybe that's what it means.

FirstNameLastName:

Fanghawk:

My bad, it's fixed.

EDIT: It turns out the DLC is free, disregard what I said (EA is still slimey though)

So basically it's assault mode from Unreal Tournament?

Well that sound like will be fun. Can't wait to play it. As much as people love to hate on this game it is fun and it was worth my money. Meh, to each their own then.

Wow, a new gameplay mode... as DLC. That is the type of shit that pisses people off. EA is fighting for that award for the shittiest company again, I guess.

Baresark:
Wow, a new gameplay mode... as DLC. That is the type of shit that pisses people off. EA is fighting for that award for the shittiest company again, I guess.

Free DLC that was announced before release as being free and co-inciding {Roughly} with the release of Star Wars VII, since it uses a map from Star Wars VII.

Fault EA for the rest of their DLC, but this is actually legit and on point. Not like we complained that CD PR gave out New Game + as DLC for TW3, because it was a free addition. Same goes here.

My question is whether Turning Point will be limited to Jakku or if the mode will have other maps as well.

Beyond that, it sounds good to me. I love games focused around capturing/holding territory and the permanence of the losses/wins in this mode should help make for some tense games.

A single new map won't save this game. Going from four maps to five is not a particularly big leap.

Should've shipped with it. The fact that its free will help with the game's longevity, which is very much needed, but it still won't save it from playerbase dropoff.

Joccaren:

Baresark:

Free DLC that was announced before release as being free and co-inciding {Roughly} with the release of Star Wars VII, since it uses a map from Star Wars VII.

Fault EA for the rest of their DLC, but this is actually legit and on point. Not like we complained that CD PR gave out New Game + as DLC for TW3, because it was a free addition. Same goes here.

Sorry, my illiteracy must have kicked in at some point. I didn't realize it was free. I take it back.

Joccaren:

Baresark:

Believe it or not, some people actually did complain about that, saying the free dlcs should have been part of the base game and that it's just a PR move.

If anyone is interested in the lore on this battle, there's a Wookieepedia article.

I also would like to point out that Jakku is a silly name. I wonder of Count Dooku is from Jakku?

TorchofThanatos:
Well that sound like will be fun. Can't wait to play it. As much as people love to hate on this game it is fun and it was worth my money. Meh, to each their own then.

You have 0 clue as to why people hate the game it seems.

OT:

It's just ridiculous that this was not in the base game, no matter how they twist it.

And it's an EA special to put out "free-lc" to later make people pay for it.

Ukomba:
Can we give the Rebels tv show to the team that does the EA Pre-rendered cut scenes? The one thing they do know how to do is make things look good.

The biggest problem I see with all that is all these epic things are happening... and you're stuck as a mook running around on foot.

The Rebels team has to churn out a whole season of 20 minute episodes, and stay on budget. The pre-rendered trailers range from 3 minutes to 30 seconds, and each game gets like, 3 trailers, at most.

Politrukk:

TorchofThanatos:

OT:

It's just ridiculous that this was not in the base game, no matter how they twist it.

This DLC is free, you know that right? You are not paying for this map it is free. So why are you angry? Are you saying it should have shipped with it? Why? Yes, it is a PR move and now we are talking about the game again, so good job EA.

DaWaffledude:

Ukomba:

The Rebels team has to churn out a whole season of 20 minute episodes, and stay on budget. The pre-rendered trailers range from 3 minutes to 30 seconds, and each game gets like, 3 trailers, at most.

Give it to Genndy Tartakovsky or DHX then, couldn't get worse than the current production quality.

TorchofThanatos:

Politrukk:

TorchofThanatos:

OT:

This DLC is free, you know that right? You are not paying for this map it is free. So why are you angry? Are you saying it should have shipped with it? Why? Yes, it is a PR move and now we are talking about the game again, so good job EA.

A lot of features and requests from the old games did not get into this game and that has upset the fans immensely.

They didn't put enough effort into the game before releasing it and releasing features that should have come with the base game paid or for free is just spitting in the face of all that was expected and hoped for.

The game is now released bare boned and it hurts the eyes to see that.

Politrukk:

TorchofThanatos:

Politrukk:

OT:

A lot of features and requests from the old games did not get into this game and that has upset the fans immensely.

They didn't put enough effort into the game before releasing it and releasing features that should have come with the base game paid or for free is just spitting in the face of all that was expected and hoped for.

The game is now released bare boned and it hurts the eyes to see that.

I understand your frustration but what were we expecting? If there wasn't enough content for you then don't buy the game and don't get mad when more content comes. Don't say it should have been in the game because that is your expectation of it. That is a standard for you. This isn't Star wars Battlefront three. It never was and never will be.

I thought this map was a pre-order exclusive. I think they moved the thing to 12/8 for everyone. I need to see if I already have this or not. I've had it since launch.

EDIT: It says I have "access to Battle of Jakku DLC". Doesn't everyone?

I press the Jakku button on the interface and it says I do not have the pre-order. Odd. I bought it before it came out. No code included to purchase. I am sad.

I'm not gonna lie, whoever made that teaser deserves a freakin medal, I thought it was really well made! Too bad the game itself sucks.

Steven Bogos:
A single new map won't save this game. Going from four maps to five is not a particularly big leap.

When you think about it, it's literally an expansion of 25% more maps.

Which is really, really sad actually. 4 maps - now 5,

Compare that to Battlefront 1, which had 17 different maps, and Battlefront 2, which had 18 planet maps and 15 space battle maps, and both of which I believe had a campaign and more game modes than the new Battlefront. Neither of which required a season pass or DLCs or any of that crap either.

*Sigh* The gaming industry really is going to pot, isn't it.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here