The Cards Against Humanity Black Friday Sale Is Insane, and it's Working

The Cards Against Humanity Black Friday Sale Is Insane, and it's Working

cards against humanity

The Cards Against Humanity Black Friday sale involves you giving them money, and getting nothing.

For Black Friday last year, the mad geniuses behind Cards Against Humanity, the "party game for horrible people," sold people bull shit - literally - and people actually bought it. Interestingly enough, we all learned that you can ship poop in the mail that day.

This year, the company has taken down all of its products from its website and are instead asking people to give it $5, in exchange for absolutely nothing.

"On Black Friday, everybody is selling something," the company writes in the FAQ section. "We're the only company to offer the superior Black Friday experience of buying nothing."

Why would anyone just give them $5?

"Because the greatest Black Friday gift of all is buying nothing. We're offering that for the rock-bottom price of $5. How can you afford NOT to seize this incredible opportunity?"

As of the time of this posting, they have somehow managed to bring in over $28,000 during this sale, if the ticker on the website is to be trusted.

It looks like a sense of humor really does pay off.

I can already hear the stockholders and marketing team at EA exploding in rage

"they're getting money for giving out absolutely nothing?!?!?! WHY HAVEN'T WE BEEN DOING THIS FOR YEARS, FUCK THESE SEASON PASSES AND MICROTRANSACTIONS"

*in 2016*

"star wars: Knights of the new battlefront: filled with nothing but hot air edition"

OT: Funny, but I'm surprised that many people are giving them that money...*if the ticker is to believed*

I can't imagine that ticker is real, if it is I hope the cards against humanity guys donate this money or something. I get that their whole shtick is being "against humanity" but if they're really just taking tens of thousands of dollars for nothing and not donating that kinda sucks. But maybe that makes it funny, if it does I don't really understand the joke.

A sense of humor and VERY succinct knowledge of how people don't seem to recognise patterns it seems.

Still a better deal than paying money for, say, Fifty Shades.

When people are willing to pay $5 for absolutely nothing, I now understand how Max Temkin can drop $27k at Desert Bus like it's nothing.

edudewired:
I can't imagine that ticker is real, if it is I hope the cards against humanity guys donate this money or something. I get that their whole shtick is being "against humanity" but if they're really just taking tens of thousands of dollars for nothing and not donating that kinda sucks. But maybe that makes it funny, if it does I don't really understand the joke.

While they haven't disclosed what the money will be used for quite yet, I wouldn't be too worried. Most times like the CAH guys do something like this, it tends to have a charitable bent to it. For example, last year's went to Heifer International, a charity primarily aimed at ending hunger.

seems they had a merry Christmas with the money

https://cardsagainsthumanity.com/blackfriday/

robert022614:

I just read through that whole list and I fell in love with all of them. Oh Cards Against Humanity, why won't thou ship to my inferior country? I want to pay you for your awesomeness!

It's exactly stuff like this that makes me love Card Games Against Humanity. Not only is the game evil fun, but the people who make it have a evil sense of humor. Selling Bullshit and nothing? Genius.

I know this phrase is supposed to be used with care but... I just lost my faith in humanity. Of course, some of it went to charity, but they also bought a shitload of stupid crap like a golden fucking vibrator. Unless they lied, which is just as crazy.

I don't think there is any other company that could pull off something like that!
Nice one!
Would not spend again! (and didn't ;))

Not sure there's much humor to be found there, but sure. Whatever makes people happy, I guess.

The "selling bullshit" thing was actually funny, though. This is literally nothing.

I stand by my statement, I guess some people will find this funny, I don't get/see the joke. I think it's pretty bad that they took money for nothing and bought themselves fancy things. I imagine that a few of people who paid the $5 expected better. Hopefully they don't do this again.

Max_imus:

robert022614:

I just read through that whole list and I fell in love with all of them. Oh Cards Against Humanity, why won't thou ship to my inferior country? I want to pay you for your awesomeness!

if you had purchased their Black Friday deal, they were offering free shipping to any location conceivable to the human mind

At first I thought of this thing as just an unfunny joke at the expense of the fan base. The company has a history of donating to charity so I expected the same here, which lessened the sting of the stupidity of it all. But now that I've come to learn that they spent it on gifts for themselves (and only bothered to donate what paltry amount was left over), I'm just disgusted.

I had considered buying a set for myself at some point. Now I've little interest in giving these manipulative fucks any of my money.

Those who sent in money got exactly what they deserve.

I'm just wondering how they are going to top this?

LOL.

edudewired:

The joke is it sounds like a scam, but isn't. They say exactly what they are selling (nothing) and people are still paying for it without even reading it. It is a hilarious dig at consumer culture.

McElroy:
I know this phrase is supposed to be used with care but... I just lost my faith in humanity. Of course, some of it went to charity, but they also bought a shitload of stupid crap like a golden fucking vibrator. Unless they lied, which is just as crazy.

They did not make any guarantees to anyone about what they would use the money for and are under no obligation to use it on anyone other than themselves. Good on them.

McElroy:

edudewired:
I stand by my statement, I guess some people will find this funny, I don't get/see the joke. I think it's pretty bad that they took money for nothing and bought themselves fancy things. I imagine that a few of people who paid the $5 expected better. Hopefully they don't do this again.

Vigormortis:
At first I thought of this thing as just an unfunny joke at the expense of the fan base. The company has a history of donating to charity so I expected the same here, which lessened the sting of the stupidity of it all. But now that I've come to learn that they spent it on gifts for themselves (and only bothered to donate what paltry amount was left over), I'm just disgusted.

I had considered buying a set for myself at some point. Now I've little interest in giving these manipulative fucks any of my money.

I'm seemingly going to be in the minority, but I don't understand these points of view. They spelt out exactly what they were selling and made no mention of what they were going to do with the money. In the end they still ended up donating ~$20,000 to various charities, which when coupled with their previous charitable work paints them as decent folk. Plus it seems they have large amounts of student debt, surgeries etc. to pay for, something which they are well within their right to do.

Basically, I personally think they can do whatever they want with the money, it would be nice if it all went to charity, but they are under not obligation to do so. There's also the possibility they were lying and used that money to cure cancer.

weirdee:

if you had purchased their Black Friday deal, they were offering free shipping to any location conceivable to the human mind

So I could've had my Nothing sent to Planet Butthattery in the Lovemetender Galaxy? Damnation!

Also in all seriousness:

Vigormortis:

C'mon mate, one of them used the money to pay back small part of her student debt and still donated part of her money. All in all (if that list is to be believed), they donated no "paltry amount", but a rather large one.

And you can't not love the purchase of a golden dildo, imaginary or not. Like, really.

Flames66:

McElroy:

They did not make any guarantees to anyone about what they would use the money for and are under no obligation to use it on anyone other than themselves. Good on them.

As the saying goes: "The stupid one isn't the one asking but the one paying." It's the idiots giving them money I'm disappointed with. My dislike is with today's "fan mentality" that makes this sort of thing possible. Or whatever the hell these people thought. Spending money "ironically"? Heck if I know.

Manipulative? They literally did nothing. That's like saying that those cookies took advantage of you by existing.

robert022614:

My sides! One of them literally bought a golden vibrator.

I am not angry. Just disappointed in humanity.I mean how in the hell did this work.

tiamat5:
I am not angry. Just disappointed in humanity.I mean how in the hell did this work.

Why shouldn't it? Many people aren't spending all their money anyway, and why have money if you're not going to spend it on something? Or in this case, nothing, because that's also funny (in small amounts, and they were only asking for $5.) When you have a large audience, only a small percentage need to be inclined to just give money in order to make that gift amount to a fairly large number. Some people like to reward audacity.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here