Bayonetta Dev is Working on a TMNT Game

Bayonetta Dev is Working on a TMNT Game

TMNT

A classification listing for something called Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan has been discovered.

Platinum Games, best known for its work on the Bayonetta franchise, appear to be making a new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle game, according to a recently discovered classification listing on the Australian Classification Board. The new game is called Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan, and will be a "multi-platform" title published by Activision. It received an "M" rating due to violence, and online interactivity.

For some more info, the folks over at NeoGAF dug a little deeper to discover that the title was actually rated in Brazil a few weeks ago, for PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One and PC.

Unfortunately, that's literally all we know about the game. Will it be a sidescroller in the vein of the much loved Turtles arcade games? Or perhaps a fighter like the fast forgotten Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Smash Up? Only time will tell.

We've reached out to Activision and Platinum games for more info.

Source: Australian Classification Board

If this turns out to be true consider me very excited about this idea, I'm not the world's biggest TMNT fan but that is one license that could definitely use something good...especially since Micheal Bay's interpretation of them...

Side scroller? Fighter?

No no no... this is Platinum Games we're talking about here!

We're looking at a 4 player character action game, most likely in the same vein as Korra, but more so Transformers: Devestation. Since it will likely have all the Turtles playable but each with their own style of combat. And considering how much credit Activision has been giving the dev, i'm expecting not only some hype gameplay reveal, but an even lengthier budget-filled game than the last two.

JagermanXcell:

We're looking at a 4 player character action game, most likely in the same vein as Korra, but more so Transformers: Devestation.

This is what I would be hoping for, anyway. TLOK ws good, and Devastation looks like it improved on the formula. So bring it on.

Man, even when these do cheap tie in games they still blow it out of the water compared to their peers.
Now, will we see a return of the Zandatsu mechanic? I still think that was one of the best features they've ever put into their games and I really want to see them explore what could be done with that.

The image the author uploaded.

FINALLY SOMEONE ACKNOWLEDGES THE 2003 SERIES :D

Really enjoyed Transformers Devestation, so i'll be keeping an eye on this for sure

Given to that company reputation, I am looking forward to this (have they ever made a super bad game?).

Too bad apparently Hideki Kamiya (Resi 2, Devil May Cry, Viewtiful Joe, Okami, Bayonetta) has nothing to do with the game.

Johnny Novgorod:
Too bad apparently Hideki Kamiya (Resi 2, Devil May Cry, Viewtiful Joe, Okami, Bayonetta) has nothing to do with the game.

To be fair, Kamiya-san didn't have much to do with Metal Gear Rising and Transformers: Devastation (and those turned out to be game of the year material despite that).

An M-rated TMNT game? Not something I was expecting. Does Australia use a different rating system? "violence and online interactions" does seem like it would warrant an M.
Looking forward to it nonetheless.

NinjaTank56:
An M-rated TMNT game? Not something I was expecting. Does Australia use a different rating system? "violence and online interactions" does seem like it would warrant an M.
Looking forward to it nonetheless.

To be fair, the original comic was far from child friendly too.

M-rated? Would that mean that we can finally hear Mikey say "Cowabunga, motherfucker!" with great sincerity?

Other than that, would it be anything like that Legend of Korra game and/or like that Transformers game?

Oh shit, Platinum is making a TMNT game?! Wait...M rating...? That seems kinda strange considering TMNT is generally a franchise aimed at a younger audience. I wonder if this will be online-exclusive. I would hope not but I don't see how any store would have the guts to stock an M-Rated TMNT. I wonder what the game looks like if it's already at a stage that the ESRB has rated it though...kinda odd that this is the first anybody has heard of it (I'd consider that more evidence it's online/download-only)

Samtemdo8:

Props to the guys who made that show, still a great piece of entertainment. If only Fast Forward and Back to the Sewers hadn't been so wonky...
Oh, and the rights holders need to get their heads out of their arses about this series so we can finally get a proper DVD box!

OT: Loved Metal Gear Rising. Loved Bayonetta. Loved Transformers Devastation.
The folks at Platinum are, in my opinion, absolute masters at hack-and-slash and beat-em-ups, and now they're making an M-rated game about one of the greatest things from my entire childhood? This must be a dream come true. I cannot wait for more info! :D

Shoggoth2588:
Oh shit, Platinum is making a TMNT game?! Wait...M rating...? That seems kinda strange considering TMNT is generally a franchise aimed at a younger audience. I wonder if this will be online-exclusive. I would hope not but I don't see how any store would have the guts to stock an M-Rated TMNT. I wonder what the game looks like if it's already at a stage that the ESRB has rated it though...kinda odd that this is the first anybody has heard of it (I'd consider that more evidence it's online/download-only)

Well, almost all of the TMNT games of the last two decades were aimed at kids, and they rightly received critical paddlings (with the possible exception of Out of the Shadows). Maybe someone in the industry with a liking for the Turtles saw all this and thought, "Maybe we could try something different".
Hell, the TV stuff was for kids, no doubt about that, but the original comics were dark, brooding and violent pulp shlock with quite a different flair about them. The current run published by IDW is pretty great stuff, and while it's definitely a fun romp it too doesn't shy away from darkness and violence. Maybe Platinum are taking a page from that type of source material...? I sincerely hope so.

Sonicron:

Samtemdo8:

Props to the guys who made that show, still a great piece of entertainment. If only Fast Forward and Back to the Sewers hadn't been so wonky...
Oh, and the rights holders need to get their heads out of their arses about this series so we can finally get a proper DVD box!

OT: Loved Metal Gear Rising. Loved Bayonetta. Loved Transformers Devastation.
The folks at Platinum are, in my opinion, absolute masters at hack-and-slash and beat-em-ups, and now they're making an M-rated game about one of the greatest things from my entire childhood? This must be a dream come true. I cannot wait for more info! :D

Well the whole series has been on Youtube for 2 years so far. But who knows how long until the it goes away:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzfSo9BAPyc&list=PL6fJmjt84zZgaB_DR1wE2O41fA8p2m7ro

Man I miss 2D traditional animation.

Samtemdo8:
Well the whole series has been on Youtube for 2 years so far. But who knows how long until the it goes away:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzfSo9BAPyc&list=PL6fJmjt84zZgaB_DR1wE2O41fA8p2m7ro

Amen to that. I do enjoy well-made CGI shows, but they're being produced in ridiculous quantities these days, while the visual quality of the remaining 2D shows is on the decline, especially regarding animation. High-quality 2D is a beautiful thing to behold, and I wish the industry as a whole would remember that, if only once in a while.

Sonicron:

Samtemdo8:

Amen to that. I do enjoy well-made CGI shows, but they're being produced in ridiculous quantities these days, while the visual quality of the remaining 2D shows is on the decline, especially regarding animation. High-quality 2D is a beautiful thing to behold, and I wish the industry as a whole would remember that, if only once in a while.

I maybe alone in this but the only style of CGI I like is photo-realistic looking CG. Like the Cinematics for Blizzard games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDerwu6x40o

I think this cartoony look is lazy and cheap.

Now I know what your thinking, if I like realistic CGI than I must like the designs for the Turtles in the recent Michael Bay movie.

They should not be CGI'd or even Live Actioned with Costumes at all. Keep them 2D please.

The original comic was rated R, for extreme violence.

A "Dynasty Warriors" style button masher would be fun with TMNT. While it would be good as co-op, certain bosses Wouldn't work well with four 3D characters all focused in on them at the same time.

Samtemdo8:
I maybe alone in this but the only style of CGI I like is photo-realistic looking CG. Like the Cinematics for Blizzard games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDerwu6x40o

I think this cartoony look is lazy and cheap.

Now I know what your thinking, if I like realistic CGI than I must like the designs for the Turtles in the recent Michael Bay movie.

They should not be CGI'd or even Live Actioned with Costumes at all. Keep them 2D please.

Oh, I love that kind of CGI, for sure! Blizzard's pre-rendered cutscenes are absolutely marvelous to behold.
However, I can give creative folks a lot of leeway when it comes to choices in visual design. Those Michael Bay Turtles? Yeah, not what I would have imagined when I first heard about a new movie being made, but I can still work the look, and it wouldn't have stopped me enjoying the film - had it been a good film. A few years ago I made a conscious effort to expand my views concerning art styles, and I ended up being exposed to and liking a whole range of visual art I wouldn't have given the time of day to before.

It's very early here, and I'm rambling. I think my point is, I can enjoy stylized CGI if the movie/show is good as a whole, but like most human beings I want variety in my entertainment, and the distinct lack of well-made 2D animation in recent years is slowly starting to get on my wick. I like CGI just fine, but you can have too much of a good thing, especially if you have too little of another.

Holy crap, this could be amazing. Admittedly, if the announcement was "Platinum working on a Dawson's Creek game" I'd probably still say the same thing, so I suppose I'm biased.

Fingers are crossed as many ways as they can. Also, I'm forcibly crossing the fingers of the guy on the bus next to me. Also, I may be going to jail for assault tonight. Because ninja turtles.

008Zulu:
A "Dynasty Warriors" style button masher would be fun with TMNT.

You might wanna look elsewhere in that case. Platinum doesn't make 'Dynasty Warriors' type games where you just mash attack, they make 'Parry Wank' games where you just mash perfect dodges. A subtle but key difference.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here