Telltale to Make an Episodic Batman Series

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Telltale to Make an Episodic Batman Series

A Telltale Batman series was revealed at The 2015 Game Awards.

Telltale is tackling the Dark Knight in an upcoming Batman series, slated for 2016. The announcement was made tonight at The 2015 Game Awards. A blog post on Telltale's website states that the episodic series will be available digitally on home consoles, PC, Mac, and mobile devices, although specific platform details have not yet been announced.

"At Telltale, we've been honored to bring our unique approach to interactive storytelling to some of the biggest entertainment franchises in the world, and we're excited to announce that we'll soon be exploring what it means to be Batman in an all-new series starting next year," said Kevin Bruner, Co-Founder and CEO of Telltale Games. "This iteration of Batman will give fans a first-hand opportunity to dive deeper into the complex life and mind of Bruce Wayne, the duality of his own identity, and the struggle of responsibility in saving a city overcome with corruption and villainy."

"Telltale has an established track record of creating award-winning content for some of the best properties in the world," said David Haddad, President, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. "We look forward to working with the team as they deliver a new interactive way for fans and gamers to experience the rich narrative world of Batman."

We'll see a FNAF Telltale adaptation sooner than the second season to The Wolf Among Us.

Imre Csete:
We'll see a FNAF Telltale adaptation sooner than the second season to The Wolf Among Us.

I don't think that's ever going to happen at this rate, if only because they've already confirmed second seasons for even more recent properties... I just made myself sad...

OT: I think this could turn out pretty well, but I'll wait until all the episodes are out before considering picking it up.

The TellTale formula would work well with Joker's villainous plans: you're screwed whatever choice you make!

Let's just hope Frank Miller isn't involved

"Press 'A' To Say Something Racist."
"Press 'B' To Say Something Sexist."
"Press 'C' To Say Something Homophobic."
"Press 'D' To Say Something 'Goddamn'."
"Press 'E' To Say Something Racist."
"Press 'F' To Say Something Growl."

O, FM, without you I'd never get to have fun posting about Batman.
XD

Marvel, Game of Thrones, Minecraft, now Batman. Making The Walking Dead was easily one of the smartest moves by Telltale, they're getting game deals left and right.

OT: Though I hope the Marvel game comes first, I'm sure looking forward to this one too. It would be cool to do the dual character system, with one being a cop and the other a new vigilante, With the main cast acting as supporting characters.

Christ...I'm gonna second(third,fourth, etc) the Wolf Among Us deserving its second season. Tales and GoT were ok, but ultimately snorefests for me. Give me back my fairy tale creatures living in the Bronx...

Secondly, screw this noise, getting sorta sick of this cashcow hopping business...especially when their engine and stories have been getting steadily dated with each release for the most part...

Urrrgh.

Really? Fucking Batman?

Talk about a waste of talent.

I mean ok, granted, they actually managed to make bloody Borderlands appealing for a moment there, but there have got to be more interesting properties out there than this.

I'm over Telltale. They have nothing original left in them.

I've never played a Telltale game (though I often watch playthroughs), nor am I a superhero conissuer by any means.

Am I a bad person for feeling let down that of all the DC heroes Telltale could have chosen, they chose Batman? As in, yet another Batman game? :(

At this point, it would be easier to list the properties Telltale isn't making games for.
But seriously, I'm worried they're taking on too many projects. Their engine is definitely showing age - I'd much rather see a year off of such frequent releases for an upgrade that would allow more variety between games and a face lift. I'm sure their writing team will do Batman well (fingers crossed for a Mr. Freeze or Hush setup), and hopefully Telltale's style lends to bringing back detective Batman. But the existing architecture needs a revision, at least for model/animations and new content workflows.
It does shine with comic book style adventures though.

Looks promising, but Batman can be all over the place, and while it's clear it's avoiding the Adam West series, there's still a lot of incarnations and tones that could make or break this (as already said, the Frank Miller route would kill it).

That said, I think it's time Teletale drops the episodic release stuff. It isn't just because I hate the format and waiting times, but they get so buggy by the end because their working with many many pieces that don't work elegantly when stitched together.

And I'll agree that the moody bit is tired. Borderlands was batshit insane fun and a nice change of pace to the "oh god, don't make me choose" of the rest of their lineup. Maybe something like Mortal Kombat, or Harry Potter if you want to try for something serious but light, or Disgaea, Neptunia, or Saint's Row for open comedy. Hell, I'd take My Little Pony at this point.

Hmm. I suppose it's probably wayyyyy too much to hope that they'll take a step back from the "all of your 'choices' get routed through a very narrow number of 'gates' with the occasional back-reference to fool you into believing you made a difference" route at this point.

I've enjoyed Telltale games in the past, and they've gotten rather good at what they do, but it's getting a little stale. "Game of Thrones" is sitting one episode in on my desktop because I don't think I have the patience to watch a whole cast of protagonists be miserable and/or killed while the game blames me for it.

Hawki:
I've never played a Telltale game (though I often watch playthroughs), nor am I a superhero conissuer by any means.

Am I a bad person for feeling let down that of all the DC heroes Telltale could have chosen, they chose Batman? As in, yet another Batman game? :(

No, I think anyone with a passing knowledge of DCU is annoyed to all hell that we get *yet another* Batman game.

Telltale games have gotten pretty stale for me. I definitely enjoyed the first season of Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us, which had an incredibly rich world but the choices not mattering at all got old real fast for me. Until this changes, their formula is simply no longer worth my time and money. It's about time they get rid of this illusion of choice to one where choices actually make a difference.

Of course it had to be Batman as opposed to one of the other million different superheroes out there. Trying to find a novel well of presenting a Batman story at this point seems like more effort than it's worth.

I'm still holding out for the Garrus C-Sec investigaions series.

Here's hoping this fails spectacularly. I am done with Batman.

I for one am happy, would prefer a lesser known hero to get a chance in the lime light, but I am a Batman fan. I just hope they make a newer version of their engine.

everyone still loves Batman. I'd be down for this, even though I didn't play TWD season 2 and didn't *quite* like Wolf Among Us, oh well.

I'd also like to see them making an effort to blackmailing Alan Moore into writing it

Wait, is this gonna be based on The Dark Knight Return or the Dawn of Justice cos the insigna look similar to the one used in those graphic novel and film?

The only way it could work is if they focus on the detective side of Batman's adventures. Otherwise it would be better to just play the Arkham games.

Ugh another series, really? Telltale for the love of god, please stop starting up new projects and finish the ones you already have going. I just want a season 2 of TWAU. ;_;

K12:

I'm still holding out for the Garrus C-Sec investigaions series.

I would pre-order that the instant it was announced.

OT

While I've come to expect - and receive - extremely high quality games from TellTale, I'd rather they finish off Game of Thrones and The Wolf Among Us before making me cry and rage alternatively as Batman.

Well, I can at least see them churning out something decent.

That said, why couldn't we have got someone different. Maybe The Question? That would be awesome.

I'm ok with this! This looks like it could turn out good!

It has gotta suck to be a DC fan of something other than Batman, knowing that you will never get anything but table scraps after "The Bat" gets done with them.

I'm so sick and tired of batman stuff. He's got hundreds of games and movies, can we give another DC hero some love?

Am interested to see what they do with this. Have only avoided Game of Thrones and Minecraft from telltale so far, for various reasons. Curious to see where they go with this. Fresh off of Tales from the Borderlands (Yes, it is that great. Play it now, ignorant fools!) i have faith they can still surprise and inspire.

Always hated Batman for the sole reason that he's not allowed to kill someone... If I can kill someone in this game count me in. It infuriates me how the joker escapes every time, kills a bunch of people, batman punches him and puts him in jail. After the second escape the blood is on his hands.

I'm excited for this, and I can certainly see how Batman could work with the Telltale playstyle, particularly if they focus more on the detective side of Bats. I'm looking forward to interrogating Gotham's most wanted too, and hoping they can tell an interesting story.

That being said, much of the game will ride on how well they get Batman as a character. It really depends which writers work they want to base him off, and I'm crossing all my fingers and toes they don't draw inspiration from Frank Miller's Batman. I'm really annoyed the new BatsVsSupes film is trying to invoke stuff from Dark Knight Returns and hope Telltale avoids doing the same thing.

Yes this is what we need...MORE BATMAN!!!

Damn it TellTale why could you not do Superman or Wonder Woman or ANYONE.

Batman is so overdone at this point its not even funny. Honestly I think the reason these people focus so much on Batman is because they are lazy and lack imagination.

And of course writers have made so much Batman content over the years his stories are like a Sub-Universe within the bigger DC universe.

Batman lore is like a Sea. Flash lore is pretty much a pond.

Wow people really seem to hate Batman here. I'm personally very happy I've never played a telltale game before but I actually have motivation to do so now.

I kind of hope that you're playing as Renee Montoya, Harvey Bullock or any of the other more notable cops of Gotham, not as Batman himself. Have more of a crime procedural similar to the stories in Gotham Central where even basic crimes get complicated fast thanks to the presence of supervillains, mind control, weird-ass chemicals and the occasional cameo from the Bat himself. I would have thought anything else is inevitably going to be compared to the Arkham series

Meh. I'm not interested, and until Walking Dead Season 3 comes out I don't think I'll be getting into anything they put out. And even then, I'm not really looking forward to Season 3 after how boring and pointless all of your choices were in season 2. Telltale games have really just comes down to what your character's tone is for conversations, the story carries on the same way regardless.

But if you wanted to get my money using this same formula Telltale, get a license that needs a dire reboot: 007. For far too long has everyone who had the license tried to relive the glory days of Goldeneye, and it's NEVER gunna happen again.

LobsterFeng:
Wow people really seem to hate Batman here. I'm personally very happy I've never played a telltale game before but I actually have motivation to do so now.

Love Batman personally, but you've gotta admit that he's started reaching a point of over-saturation in media. And DC has a couple of other characters that would probably lend themselves better to the kind of stories they like to do.

Question as someone said, Aquaman surprisingly has a bit of interesting things that they could do things with, Martian Manhunter(my personal second favorite in the DC universe) with his dual detective "real" life and Manhunter true self providing a somewhat unique parallel to Bigby from TWAU, even Steel(I think) could provide a look into hero worship and inspiration.

Huh, weren't they gonna focus on a Marvel game in 2017? So that means they're working on both a DC and Marvel property now.

And TT proves once again they have no original bone in their body. One of the reasons I loved Life is Strange (Not the primary reason) was it's originality (If it played like a Telltale game to the letter I prob would've just ignored it).

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here