The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Wins Game of the Year at 2015 Game Awards

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Wins Game of the Year at 2015 Game Awards

witcher 3 social

The Witcher 3 was named Game of the Year at The 2015 Game Awards.

At the 2015 Game Awards Thursday, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt won the title of Game of the Year. Other nominees included Bloodborne, Fallout 4, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain and Super Mario Maker. The Witcher 3 was nominated for a total of seven awards, taking home three wins: Game of the Year, Best RPG, and Developer of the Year.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt released on May 19 on PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One, and sold more than 6 million copies in its first six weeks.

WHAT?! How did Shower With Your Dad simulator lose out?!

Not surprising, it set the new standard for open world RPGs for me. The only thing bad about it is how much worse it has made other games in comparison for me. Easily my own GOTY.

good, maybe this will be a slap in the face to some other companies who are always worried about their bottom line and shortcutting every chance they get while CD projekt basically takes an opposite approach.

It certainly isn't a "skinny kid at a fat camp award" considering the lineup of competitors. I'll be sure to play it again once I upgrade my computer hardware.

(Mario Maker is questionable though..)

No game is more deserving of this honor, and no developer is more dedicated to gamers than CD Projekt Red at this current time. It's sad that I have run quite a few articles praising CD Projekt Red for deciding to NOT fuck people over with shitty business practices and half-assed bug filled games.

Steven Bogos:
It's sad that I have run quite a few articles praising CD Projekt Red for deciding to NOT fuck people over with shitty business practices and half-assed bug filled games.

EA, Konami and Warner Bros. are reading this in stunned silence, trying to grasp the concept of being nice to their customers.

For me Bloodborne is my GOTY but Witcher 3 was a great game and deserves it's praise. Really need to play the dlc I've downloaded and not got around to playing

Of all the games this year and developers, it deserves it the most. So kudos.

Even... if its completely and absolutely inferior to the books (and CDPR would do good to fix some of their lore/logic rape).

Well deserved. Amazing story and combat, fantastic open world. Even though there have been other great games this year, Witcher 3 is by far the best.

So when will we see the release of Fallout 4: Almost Game of the Year Edition?

Dominic Crossman:
For me Bloodborne is my GOTY but Witcher 3 was a great game and deserves it's praise. Really need to play the dlc I've downloaded and not got around to playing

You need to get on that! I found it to be a better questline than the Bloody Baron's. The runewords are underwhelming, but the story is easily the best in the game so far. The boss fights are also probably the most interesting.

Bloodborne is my personal Game of the Year, but The Witcher III is definitely a deserving winner.

I hope Cyberpunk 2077 ends up being as well made.

Mine is Bloodborne, but fair play to Witcher 3. It should be commended for being the only big release this year that managed to stay consistently popular and well-liked after the first few weeks of release without any kind of backlash. The same can't be said for Bloodborne (30 FPS console exclusive Dark Souls reskin!), Fallout 4 (dummed down buggy casual mess!) or MGSV (#FucKonami)

All the more disappointed that I have to wait 6 months before I can play it due to living conditions. At least I still have Undertale.

RedDeadFred:

Dominic Crossman:

You need to get on that! I found it to be a better questline than the Bloody Baron's. The runewords are underwhelming, but the story is easily the best in the game so far. The boss fights are also probably the most interesting.

Eh, personally I'm waiting for all the DLC to release to do my New game+ run, I spent 120 hours on the first run and kind of burnt myself out on the game, by the time all the DLC is released I'll probably be ready to sink another 80+ hours into it.

OT: Not surprising, and this wasn't even a sparse year like 2014, Witcher 3 was up against some good competition, but the game certainly does deserve to be, if not on top, then at least on pretty much everyone's top 5 list for the year. The game isn't perfect, the difficulty falls off a cliff late game even on the hardest difficulty setting, the loot system makes treasure pointless once you've got a decent set of Witcher gear, the combat is kind of simplistic and makes the late game fights feel kind of flat compared to the start of the game, and the story kind of rushes way too much in the third act and the ending between the last boss and the epilogue feel kind of half assed.

Even then, it's still a damn good RPG, and if nothing else, CDPR is still one of the best companies for fixing annoying gameplay flaws fast, like the clunky crafting system and UI at launch.

In a year with quite a few good to flatout great games, Witcher 3 is definitely a contender for any GOTY award being voted on this year.

Charcharo:

Even... if its completely and absolutely inferior to the books (and CDPR would do good to fix some of their lore/logic rape).

pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft it's called adaptation mang live with it

Not my personal GOTY, but great pick none the less. As long as its not MGS V: The Phantom Fart and Fallout Boy 4, I would've been completely fine with whatever the award went with.

Kingjackl:
Mine is Bloodborne, but fair play to Witcher 3. It should be commended for being the only big release this year that managed to stay consistently popular and well-liked after the first few weeks of release without any kind of backlash.

I mean, there was that whole "downgrade"backlash and iffy performance on consoles (as well as sequence breaking quests can permanently ruin your playthrough)

008Zulu:

Steven Bogos:
It's sad that I have run quite a few articles praising CD Projekt Red for deciding to NOT fuck people over with shitty business practices and half-assed bug filled games.

EA, Konami and Warner Bros. are reading this in stunned silence, trying to grasp the concept of being nice to their customers.

I don't think they give a shit. Those companies aren't run by gamers so they don't see their games as something deserving of an award. They just care about the bottom line.

Samurai Jack gets resurrected, Psychonauts 2 finally gets announced and Bethesda game doesn't win a GOTY.
Someone call Satan, ask him if he doesn't need warm blankets?

Witcher 3 is the best Single Player Game of the year, no doubt about it
Splatoon is the best Multiplayer and Shooter game of the year

Great success for the awards to lineup with my tastes for once.

008Zulu:

Steven Bogos:

Not just stunned silence but the very mechanics by which their brains biologically function does not allow them to understand, they cannot understand. The only thing we can do is a rag, some chloroform, a shovel, and no guilt as we do the objectively right thing and put them out of our misery.

I approve of CD Projekt Red's award.

That is good. Well deserve. Even though I never play/care about this game but I acknowledge its accomplishments.

I am not a fan of 'the developer award' itself. I felt it just blind fanboyism rather than being level-headed/skeptic towards any developer studio.

Thyunda:

Charcharo:

pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft it's called adaptation mang live with it

*sigh*
You will never understand. No matter what I do, no matter what language or explanation I use or give you :(

Adaptation =/= stupid or simplified. It should not mean that. If I take what you are saying by the letter... you are telling me exactly that. I am a jaded elitist asshat, but I do love the the things I am complaining about/at times hyping myself. That is how I work.
For example, talking about our old Fallout 4 arguments... if it was CoD: The Next One that had those perceived issues, I would not give a flying fuck. But since it is Fallout fucking four, I give a good amount of fucks :P

Being cold, silent, passionless or settling for less... that is not how I operate when I give a good ammount of fucks :P

Charcharo:

Thyunda:

Charcharo:

*sigh*
You will never understand. No matter what I do, no matter what language or explanation I use or give you :(

Adaptation =/= stupid or simplified. It should not mean that. If I take what you are saying by the letter... you are telling me exactly that. I am a jaded elitist asshat, but I do love the the things I am complaining about/at times hyping myself. That is how I work.
For example, talking about our old Fallout 4 arguments... if it was CoD: The Next One that had those perceived issues, I would not give a flying fuck. But since it is Fallout fucking four, I give a good amount of fucks :P

Being cold, silent, passionless or settling for less... that is not how I operate when I give a good ammount of fucks :P

And I look forward to doing this every time we share an interest in a game - you've got nearly the same avatar as me so you'd better bloody get used to me.

Thyunda:

Charcharo:

Thyunda:

*sigh*

And I look forward to doing this every time we share an interest in a game - you've got nearly the same avatar as me so you'd better bloody get used to me.

Problem is, your interest does not seem to be as ... high or earnest as mine.

The Witcher 3 has stupid faults. It is that simple. Fixable ones. Ones that CDPR CAN address. This time it is not a rave on the intrinsic inferiority of gaming compared to literature.
That is what I am talking about.

And I was Zee Captain since before it was cool :P
*Hipsterness intensifies*

Charcharo:

Thyunda:

Charcharo:

*sigh*

The Witcher 3 has stupid faults. It is that simple. Fixable ones. Ones that CDPR CAN address. This time it is not a rave on the intrinsic inferiority of gaming compared to literature.

Yep well I was here first. Have at you.

Charcharo:

Thyunda:

Charcharo:
snip

snippety

snip

AFAIK Sapkowski himself has denounced games being canonical, so it's not like REDs are obliged to stick to the lore anyways.

MrCalavera:

Charcharo:

Thyunda:
snip

AFAIK Sapkowski himself has denounced games being canonical, so it's not like REDs are obliged to stick to the lore anyways.

Thyunda:

Charcharo:

Yep well I was here first. Have at you.

Sapkowski can do that for the books. And him doing that is VERY logical (I would do it too if I were him). So it is a case of him actually doing something good for both boook and game fans.

What that means is that the games are not canon for the books, but the books are canon for the games (since Sapkowski is not CDPR's boss, he can not order them around on that).

But when did you really come ? ( ͡? ͜ʖ ͡?)
And when did you become Captain?

Not my GOTY, but I don't think any other game could really take it this year. Fantastic gameplay, one of the best stories I've seen a while, an insane attention detail, and just a damn fine company making it.

Definitely one of the best games of all time! Congratulations to CDPR for creating such a masterpiece! It's definitely my GOTY.

MrCalavera:

Sapkowski's stance is that he will happily sell the rights to anyone who comes around with a fat sack of money, but ONLY his books are canonical. The games, the upcoming movie, the shitty disaster that was the TV/film adaptation, the comic books, short stories by other authors - they're all basically fanfiction as far as canon is concerned.

OT: Great news, TW3 is easily my favourite game of this year and possibly one of my all-time favourites. It certainly deserved the award. I think it's the first piece of gaming news that I've heard from mainstream media before the gaming ones.

Disappointing.

It wasn't that good.

i havent played it yet but i think im going to skip the witcher 2 to play it once im done with fallout 4 by all means it sounds like it was well deserved

Good. They deserved this. There were many good games out this year, but Witcher 3 and CDPR certainly deserved to be on top.

Saulkar:

008Zulu:

Not just stunned silence but the very mechanics by which their brains biologically function does not allow them to understand, they cannot understand. The only thing we can do is a rag, some chloroform, a shovel, and no guilt as we do the objectively right thing and put them out of our misery.

how long untill EA exec comes out saying something like "All gamers are entitled brats for not making our Star Wars mod of Battlefield GOTY. Also buy more DLC"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here