No Post-Credits "Stinger" For The Force Awakens

No Post-Credits "Stinger" For The Force Awakens

john boyega star wars episode vii

You'll be able to leave the theater as soon as the credits start rolling.

One of the more annoying/fun little things that is cropping up in more and more movies these days is the post-credits "stinger" - a short scene that plays after the credits, either hinting at a sequel or just showing a silly little bit of footage that may not have fit in anywhere else in the film. Most prevalent in super hero movies, there is now a website dedicated to letting you know if you have to stick around after the credits. Thankfully/regretfully, director J.J. Abrams has revealed that Star Wars: Episode VII will not have a post-credits scene.

While it was pretty unlikely we would be getting a teaser for Epsiode VIII so early on, some fans were hoping to get a sneak peak at 2016's Rogue One at the end of the film.

Abrams, speaking to several journalists at a press conference (as reported by Screen Crush) went on to stress that every scene he wanted to put in the movie was in it, eliminating the need for a "secret" post-credits scene. "All of the scenes are actually in the movie," he said.

Personally, I'm overjoyed at this. I hate sitting around in a theater awkwardly when the credits start rolling, asking around "does anyone know if there's a stinger?" or looking it up on my phone.

Source: Screen Crush

My bladder thanks you in advance

Isn't it kind of sad we need these now thank to Marvel? And hell, some people won't believe it (I know some people for a fact stayed after Age of Ultron despite the announcement there was no post-credit scene)

good. i never liked sitting through the credits either, unless the music is actually good to listen too. which so far with marvel movies was never the case. for me at least. but i was surprised that there was no scene after the credits. many sat behind and were surprised by it as well.

I'm in the 'fun' camp, apparently, and a fancy little teaser after the credits would've been nice in a new Star Wars film, especially if it was something genuinely surprising and/or badass.

I guess I'm "that guy," as I sit through the credits of every movie I watch, stinger or no. Unless the film really sucks, in which case I bolt as soon as possible.

In any case, I'm glad Star Wars won't have this. It will allow me to bask in John Williams' no doubt epic score that much better.

Zontar:
Isn't it kind of sad we need these now thank to Marvel? And hell, some people won't believe it (I know some people for a fact stayed after Age of Ultron despite the announcement there was no post-credit scene)

ah but there was a mid credits scene for age of ultron..........so somebody mite wanna run back to mr abrams and ask him to clarify that just incase hes being very specific about the term post credits.

Neverhoodian:
I guess I'm "that guy," as I sit through the credits of every movie I watch, stinger or no. Unless the film really sucks, in which case I bolt as soon as possible.

In any case, I'm glad Star Wars won't have this. It will allow me to bask in John Williams' no doubt epic score that much better.

I'm also "that guy" who sits through the credits... even during the movies I end up not liking because it gives me ever more reason to look up my first name in credits, at least...

Anywho, cool to know, I guess... Glad I got that "spoiler" out of the way... :p

Another one here for the 'sitting through credits' brigade. A friend and I have made it tradition.

Either way, I'm not overly fussed on there being a stinger or no, good to know in advance though I guess.

Or, you know, people could actually pay their respects by taking five minutes out of their lives to acknowledge the existence of all the hard working cast and crew. It used to be considered extremely rude to leave before the credits finished, tantamount to leaving a performance while the performers come out to take their bows.

Yes, yes, thank you yes!

I am still waiting for an apology from Abrams for Star Trek: Into Darkness.

But, how will we know how it ties into the rest of the Marvel universe?

delroland:
Or, you know, people could actually pay their respects by taking five minutes out of their lives to acknowledge the existence of all the hard working cast and crew. It used to be considered extremely rude to leave before the credits finished, tantamount to leaving a performance while the performers come out to take their bows.

And then people realized that none of the people are actually there, and thus can't be offended by you walking out in front of them. Just like how clapping at a movie doesn't actually make the people feel any better, because they aren't there. They're likely off doing something fun while your sitting there looking at words going by on a screen.

I don't trust this news.

We know J.J's a firm believer in "do everything in your power to have surprises." He will lie if it means someone will see something unexpected. I still think a stinger is likely.

delroland:

The cast and crew already got my money, I doubt they're complaining

I was expecting Sam Jackson to waltz in after the credits and say "Let me talk to you about the next movie".

zombiejoe:
I don't trust this news.

We know J.J's a firm believer in "do everything in your power to have surprises." He will lie if it means someone will see something unexpected. I still think a stinger is likely.

What will they show though? Episode VIII starts shooting in 2016. Rogue One started shooting in August, but doesn't tie into Force Awakens in any probable way. Also, JJ is only aboard for the first movie, and it would be silly for him to set the precedent for something the next two directors probably wouldn't follow up. Ultimately, Kathleen Kennedy is the one with the greatest control over how these movies evolve, not Abrams, as she's both producer for the sequel trilogy and president at Lucasfilm.

The Bucket:

delroland:

So you only bother to show respect if someone might complain if you don't?

Maze1125:

The Bucket:

delroland:

I think you're putting much more emphasis on me watching a ton of names i'm not going to remember than most of the people on them do. Do you honestly sit through every single opening and ending of tv shows to show respect? Do you pour over every line of publishers and other credits in the small print in the backs of books? Same with games, I hope you've never been temped to skip or walk away from credits in those

The Bucket:

Maze1125:

The Bucket:

I think you're putting much more emphasis on me watching a ton of names i'm not going to remember than most of the people on them do. Do you honestly sit through every single opening and ending of tv shows to show respect? Do you pour over every line of publishers and other credits in the small print in the backs of books? Same with games, I hope you've never been temped to skip or walk away from credits in those

Or you know, you could watch the credits to see what funny or oddly appropiate names are in there. Somewhere in the Hobbit, there is a guy named "Sword"

Anomynous 167:

The Bucket:

Maze1125:

Or you know, you could watch the credits to see what funny or oddly appropiate names are in there. Somewhere in the Hobbit, there is a guy named "Sword"

Also, the cast and crew never see a dime of your money. The lion's share of that goes to the producing company, with a pittance of that being passed along to those actors and directors (and rarely writers) savvy enough to request points in lieu of larger pay. The vast majority of cast and crew get paid the same whether the movie tanks or soars, so your patronage does nothing to show support of their work.

delroland:
The vast majority of cast and crew get paid the same whether the movie tanks or soars, so your patronage does nothing to show support of their work.

Short-term, true, but it fails to see the long-run. Patronage creates demand which gives them work and increases the value of their work. For example, Bethesda recently said that they shipped out 12 million copies of Fallout 4 to stores. They already made their money. But what if it tanked? Do you think a business that was interested in working with Bethesda would still be interested tothe same degree so after one of their recent titles fails? Or if it was the most demanded game of the year do you think it would add extra value to Bethesda's input in this hypothetical project? Bethesda is free to not really worry about it because they have enough money to publish their own games but an development studio not own by a publisher doesn't have that luxury. Depending on the movie anywhere from 0% to 100% of the people working on a film could be independent of the company publishing the film. ILM, for example, worked on the original Star Wars films. Do you think that they would've experienced the same meteoric success they had if Star Wars bombed?

MarsAtlas:

delroland:
The vast majority of cast and crew get paid the same whether the movie tanks or soars, so your patronage does nothing to show support of their work.

Short-term, true, but it fails to see the long-run. Patronage creates demand which gives them work and increases the value of their work. For example, Bethesda recently said that they shipped out 12 million copies of Fallout 4 to stores. They already made their money. But what if it tanked? Do you think a business that was interested in working with Bethesda would still be interested tothe same degree so after one of their recent titles fails? Or if it was the most demanded game of the year do you think it would add extra value to Bethesda's input in this hypothetical project? Bethesda is free to not really worry about it because they have enough money to publish their own games but an development studio not own by a publisher doesn't have that luxury. Depending on the movie anywhere from 0% to 100% of the people working on a film could be independent of the company publishing the film. ILM, for example, worked on the original Star Wars films. Do you think that they would've experienced the same meteoric success they had if Star Wars bombed?

Star Wars could have been a total failure and 20th Century Fox (now part of the Fox Entertainment Group, which in turn is part of 21st Century Fox) would still be a multi-billion dollar corporation. People will continue to go to movies even if the studios churn out garbage. So why not make the gesture to at least take the time to read the names of those that put months and sometimes years of their lives into creating two hours of entertainment for you? The potential for easter eggs is an added bonus, a thank you for those with enough class to do so.

I'll stay till the end anyways if it's good, just so I can listen to the music and see if there's anybody I recognize in the credits. But I'll be with other people so they may want to leave early.

credits that have content in them like The Good Dinosaur (in the sense that you can see some nice animation of landscapes) are also good for keeping people in their seats.

Good. Fuck those things. I don't mind the old bloopers in the side during credits, or the animations that Ice Age had, but jeez.

Anyone who Tyler Durdened the stinger into the first 10 seconds of credits (Followed by 3 frames of a flaccid penis, of course), would be doing a public service.

It's sad that this has to be news.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here