Final Fantasy VI Hits Steam Next Week

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Final Fantasy VI Hits Steam Next Week

It might not be the good version, but at least it's something

If there's one game I could never get tired of, Final Fantasy VI is probably it. While some have their (ridonculous) issues with it, I consider it to be one of the best RPGs ever made and easily the finest entry in the Final Fantasy series. Unfortunately, being an older game, it can at times be a bit tricky to find a way to play it. While it has been re-released over the years, there are platforms that it's never made it's way to. Next week however, we'll be able to cross a big one off of the list.

Joining other titles from the franchise like Final Fantasy IV and V, Final Fantasy VI will be released on Steam next week on December 16th. The game will cost 10.99 pounds sterling (about 16 US dollars) and will be subject to a ten percent discount during its first week in the storefront. The PC port is based on the mobile version of Final Fantasy VI which released back in 2014.

While a PC port of Final Fantasy VI is obviously good news, there's a good chance that fans will be disappointed that it's based on the mobile version as opposed to the original SNES game. Setting aside problems like typos in the dialogue from its opening scene, the mobile version of VI was given a visual makeover which added in new backgrounds and character sprites that many considered to be uglier than the pixel art from the 1994 release. In other words, if you have any way of playing the SNES game, you should do that. If you're new to VI though and only have a PC, there are probably worse ways you could spend your time.

Source: Steam

Ugh look at screenshot #3, horrible interface for PC. I could live with the graphics of the mobile version but they couldn't even spend time to update a simple battle menu to something more appropriate?

A trash port of an excellent game. Such a shame that Square Enix still hasn't figured out how to put any care at all into PC ports.

P.S. Thanks

That is an ugly ui, still... I have wanted to play though ff3 again.

I love the game, but that's just the IOS port, which had tons of game breaking bugs.
Ten bucks says they didn't fix them or indeed the control options to not say "Tap screen to do X"

I'd love to buy it for the PC, but it the ugly "improved" version, so I'll pass. Sorry Sabin, no train tossing on my PC for you.

Worgen:

You'd probably be better off just getting a SNES emulator then. I mean, you'll still have to deal with the menus within menus within menus so not really an improvement in the UI department, but it's certainly cheaper and it's available right now. :P

I myself won't be getting it because I just KNOW those sprites are going to bug the hell out of me, even if the character portraits look WORLDS cleaner than the SNES version (not much of an accomplishment though, FF3 was released in the states what, 20 some-odd years ago?)... they just too so... alien in that world... I'll admit they looked pretty out-of-place in the SNES version too, but this just takes it too far. :/

Just saying, the bugs in the iOS were fixed some time ago. I personally love the game on ios, but meh.

They could have ported any other version, but they used the ugliest one of them all. It's painful to see what they've done to my favorite ff game.

Seriously, i'm playing it on my vita and it looks amazing... the IOS version looks terrible.... Why not just port the original version to steam when it's obviously superior.

Worgen:

Truth Cake:

I myself won't be getting it because I just KNOW those sprites are going to bug the hell out of me, even if the character portraits look WORLDS cleaner than the SNES version (not much of an accomplishment though, FF3 was released in the states what, 20 some-odd years ago?)... they just too so... alien in that world... I'll admit they looked pretty out-of-place in the SNES version too, but this just takes it too far. :/

...though ff3 again.

...FF3 was released...

...FF3...

GET OUT

Just kidding. More seriously, that touch screen UI needs to go, and I do agree that the original character models looked better.

Oh well, so much for hoping for a decent port. Probably keep an eye on this one for a special.

snekadid:
Seriously, i'm playing it on my vita and it looks amazing... the IOS version looks terrible.... Why not just port the original version to steam when it's obviously superior.

How does the PS1 version run on Vita, if you don't mind my asking? I've heard it had loading time problems when it originally released, but I've been hoping the digital edition might not have that problem. I have the GBA port, but I'd rather not have to dig it out when I could just play it on my Vita.

StewShearer:

snekadid:

How does the PS1 version run on Vita, if you don't mind my asking? I've heard it had loading time problems when it originally released, but I've been hoping the digital edition might not have that problem. I have the GBA port, but I'd rather not have to dig it out when I could just play it on my Vita.

I just did a quick test on my vita.

It takes 4 seconds to open the menu and 6 seconds to close it.

snekadid:

Probably something to do with Nintendo having rights to that version. They still sell it on their virtual shop. That's the only reason I can think of for them to just ignore that or even the GBA version. Or porting the IOS version is less work, or they person in charge of these decisions is plain ignorant and assumes the newest release must be the best.

Not only does it look like crap (the snes-version is beautiful but this looks horrible) but that price is downright insulting. I wonder if Square-enix will ever realise that a lower price would enable them to sell more copies which would probably offset the lower price and also create more ff-fans that are more likely to buy your other games. 16usd for a more than 20 years old game is just insulting.

Kekkonen1:
Not only does it look like crap (the snes-version is beautiful but this looks horrible) but that price is downright insulting. I wonder if Square-enix will ever realise that a lower price would enable them to sell more copies which would probably offset the lower price and also create more ff-fans that are more likely to buy your other games. 16usd for a more than 20 years old game is just insulting.

This has been their modus operandi for all the classic Square games released on steam. The real confusion comes from Final Fantasy VII and VIII being cheaper.

I still say this is the best the game has ever looked. Yes, the sprites have their charm, but these new ones look exactly like their artwork.

Post Tenebrae Morte:
I still say this is the best the game has ever looked. Yes, the sprites have their charm, but these new ones look exactly like their artwork.

Really? To me they just look like generic RPG Maker sprites. Less depth too.

I wish they'd done LESS work. A straight up 1 to 1 port would have been better than this. -_- I'm sure I'll buy it anyways, but I wish they'd have a classic mode toggle.

Yeah... I'll just stick with the original version[1] or maybe the GBA version. Extra stuff (if there is any) isn't worth the trade offs of the mobile version. It's just another game to wait to be apart of a massively discounted bundle years down the road.

thanatos388:

Kekkonen1:

This has been their modus operandi for all the classic Square games released on steam. The real confusion comes from Final Fantasy VII and VIII being cheaper.

VII and VIII might be cheaper because they had PC ports from the 90s. All that was probably done was some optimization for modern versions of Windows and Square slapping their own DRM onto the games.

[1] Vanish/Doom FTW

Silentpony:
I love the game, but that's just the IOS port, which had tons of game breaking bugs.
Ten bucks says they didn't fix them or indeed the control options to not say "Tap screen to do X"

I beat it on the iPad, I didn't run into any bugs. What bugs are you referring to?

WeepingAngels:

Silentpony:

I beat it on the iPad, I didn't run into any bugs. What bugs are you referring to?

Likely the initial bugs before the updates, had issues including bugs preventing progress into the world of ruin.

thanatos388:

Post Tenebrae Morte:

That's the thing, such chibi artwork from ff6 and other games inspired that style and, while similar, these sprites are of higher detail. Go and compare the terra sprite on iOS to her official chibi artwork, it's actually quite close.

thanatos388:

Post Tenebrae Morte:

Did it occur to you that the inspiration for RPG Maker sprites comes from 16 and 32 bit RPG's?

Post Tenebrae Morte:
That's the thing, such chibi artwork from ff6 and other games inspired that style and, while similar, these sprites are of higher detail. Go and compare the terra sprite on iOS to her official chibi artwork, it's actually quite close.

I agree that apples to apples the new ones look better, but it just doesn't fit with the world around them which looks like it was airlifted straight from the SNES with *maybe* a bit of touching up (I mean seriously, look at those mountains from the airship... no work was put into those...). Look at the environment around the characters in any of the pictures and then look at the character sprites- it's like they're from 2 different games.

If they were going to just do a straight-up copy-paste port to PC, that's fine I guess. They'd have to give a reason why we couldn't just emulate it if we're getting the exact same appearance, but fine. If they're going to update to make it look better though, they gotta update EVERYTHING to make it all look better as a whole, not just the character sprites because then either A- everything is compared to them and looks like ass, and/or B- the characters look alien in their own world. Neither of those are good things. :/

CALLED IT!

And of course, I now have no intention of buying it. I have the GBA version PLUS the Wii VC version of the original NA release. Why the hell would I buy this crap?

Oh. Yay. My second least favorite Final Fantasy title is on Steam now. Well, you guys have fun with that, I'm going to enjoy a better one, like 3 or 4.

Before you ask, no I didn't play it when it came out, so no I don't have the nostalgia goggles, and yes, I played the SNES port to PSVita, not the even MORE garbage iOS port.

Hey Square, if you are going to take the time to redo FF7, can you do the same for FF6 please?

And people wonder why im worried about FF7 being remade. Any other port of FF6 would have been fine, but Square decides to port the most broken version out there with the worst sprites and interface.

Truth Cake:

Post Tenebrae Morte:

I agree that apples to apples the new ones look better, but it just doesn't fit with the world around them which looks like it was airlifted straight from the SNES with *maybe* a bit of touching up (I mean seriously, look at those mountains from the airship... no work was put into those...). Look at the environment around the characters in any of the pictures and then look at the character sprites- it's like they're from 2 different games.

If they were going to just do a straight-up copy-paste port to PC, that's fine I guess. They'd have to give a reason why we couldn't just emulate it if we're getting the exact same appearance, but fine. If they're going to update to make it look better though, they gotta update EVERYTHING to make it all look better as a whole, not just the character sprites because then either A- everything is compared to them and looks like ass, and/or B- the characters look alien in their own world. Neither of those are good things. :/

I agree, they could've done more. It was odd, especially considering they actually did all that for ffv on iOS.
And once again, for those complaining about bugs: they've all been fixed.

-Dragmire-:

StewShearer:

snekadid:

Hmm... that's disappointing. Almost instantaneous in the cartridge versions.

Would prefer the old sprites but i like the higher resolution text even if the battle UI is a little silly.

Would rather they just put the high res text and UI boxes into the Ps1 port.

GBA Version is best version. They should have ported that to iOS and then PC.

Also, Sabin looks like Guile from Street Fighter II in the left side of the YouTube screen. Bleh.

Also also, this looks awful. The pixel art of the original sprites and head-shots was one of the best parts of the game.

So what you're telling me is that I need to hunt down a GBA port of Final Fantasy VI? That's fine by me...Final Fantasy IV advanced is freaking awesome and honestly I need to hunt down FFV-Advanced. It's a shame that Square Enix doesn't take care to craft a better PC experience for these classic games.

Think someone will mod it to look like the SNES version? I wonder if they'll just say 'emulation will cover it' and not bother. Anyway, I'm considering it.

StewShearer:

-Dragmire-:

StewShearer:

Hmm... that's disappointing. Almost instantaneous in the cartridge versions.

Beats the Fallout 4 load times. ;)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or