The New Gang is Here in First Image From Paul Feig's Ghostbusters

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The New Gang is Here in First Image From Paul Feig's Ghostbusters

ghostbusters logo

These chicks are anything but toast.

Much has been made about Paul Feig's upcoming, all-female reboot of the Ivan Reitman classic Ghostbusters, but for the most part, the production itself has largely been kept under wraps.

What we do know is that Feig's film will star Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon, and Leslie Jones as the titular busters and feature cameos from Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson, Annie Potts, Sigourney Weaver, and of course, Slimer. Recently, however, details from the remake set to be released on July 15, 2016 have started to leak out one at a time.

We've been given sneak previews of the new Ecto-1 and the new proton packs, and now, the first official image from the film has been released to the fansite Planet Ghostbusters. Check it out below.

ghostbusters first photo

If I'm ranking the new cast according to how badass they look, I'm going McKinnon, Jones, McCarthy, and then Wiig. What can I say? Wiig is simply too adorable to ever pose much of a threat in my eyes, even while packing a Neutrona Wand capable of causing every molecule in my body to explode at the speed of light.

An unofficial synopsis for Feig's Ghostbusters is below, via the Boston Herald:

Wiig and McCarthy play a pair of unheralded authors who write a book positing that ghosts are real. Flash forward a few years and Wiig lands a prestigious teaching position at Columbia U. Which is pretty sweet, until her book resurfaces and she is laughed out of academia.

Wiig reunites with McCarthy and the other two proton pack-packing phantom wranglers, and she gets some sweet revenge when ghosts invade Manhattan and she and her team have to save the world.

Source: The Verge

Oh that's a shame...

This looks just HORRIBLE.

Screw you Hollywood, you don't get to take the plot of a classic, suck out the jokes, flip the genders and then pretend that your reboot is anything but trash at the conceptual level. If there where any doubts that this movie would be anything other then garbage, they have been put to rest once and for all. Who the hell approved of this monstrosity and how the hell did they get high enough on the ladder to make that mistake?

If that synopsis is accurate this ...thing... will be even worse than I thought it would be.

As for the picture: it's pretty much exactly what I imagined. One to be average, one to be tough, one to be pretty, and one to be big, black, and scary.

And still nothing about this instills me with any confidence that this isn't going to be utter trash all for the sake of wrangling a few more dollars from fans. Not even the actual Ghostbusters could make a proper follow up, and these guys look like a bunch of cosplayers with a smoke machine.

And you're telling me that after Manhatten has gotten attacked on a huge scale by ghosts twice, we still get the 'protagonists laughed away by the Establishment over their insistence that ghosts exist' set up?! The fucking Statue of Liberty walked the streets on New Year's Eve! You think that'd be an image that would stick in people's memories.

I don't think the cast looks that bad, I actually kind of like the character designs...

Casual Shinji:

And you're telling me that after Manhatten has gotten attacked on a huge scale by ghosts twice, we still get the 'protagonists laughed away by the Establishment over their insistence that ghosts exist' set up?! The fucking Statue of Liberty walked the streets on New Year's Eve! You think that'd be an image that would stick in people's memories.

Though this is a valid point and something that equally confuses me.

Casual Shinji:
And still nothing about this instills me with any confidence that this isn't going to be utter trash all for the sake of wrangling a few more dollars from fans. Not even the actual Ghostbusters could make a proper follow up, and these guys look like a bunch of cosplayers with a smoke machine.

Hilariously I didn't even think about that. Or is this supposed to be a complete reboot of the series, as in the events of the original Ghostbusters (and II) never actually happened? If so, are they female versions of Egon, Ray, Venkman, and Winston, or are they new characters?

Actually, I have like no interest in seeing this, why am I asking all these questions?

Ihateregistering1:

Actually, I have like no interest in seeing this, why am I asking all these questions?

Because you put more thought into it then the people making this movie.

They look kinda goofy. Not in a good way or that the originals looked particularly cool or anything in their jumpsuits but the depiction of these feel silly. Maybe that's just me though. Hopefully the movie is good.

EDIT: Well, in the time it took me to post this apparently it definitely isn't just me.

It could also be a good movie people, just a thought.

I might give it a watch since I do enjoy the Ghostbusters, especially the cartoon series.

First impression: love the character designs, pretty badass!
Second impression: wait a minute.... they just reverse-gendered the cast??? That's it? Ok, I love it that women who don't look like magazine models get a leading role... but I hate the ol' rule of Spider-Woman, in which a cool female character can only be a reverse gendered male character...

Fiz_The_Toaster:

I might give it a watch since I do enjoy the Ghostbusters, especially the cartoon series.

Sure, and the Pre-Sequel might not have been a cheap gimmicky cashgrab.

The fact that they can't seem to stay consistent with their premise being that this is a continuation or reboot of the franchise really should tell alot though.

that screenplay is hilariously awful and that photo looks like a shot from a shitty SNL skit.

Ascarus:
that screenplay is hilariously awful and that photo looks like a shot from a shitty SNL skit.

Ah yeah, that explains part of what I thought was wrong about it. It's like the artistic directors just don't care or aren't quality. If the overall director signed off on this then it is problematic for the rest of the movie.

Depending on the budget, I'd expect they'd still get an ok ROI just from the popularity of the name. But this doesn't look good.

I'm just hoping we're not in for Adam Sandler-esque humor here.

I haven't seen anything wrong yet, so I don't really understand the belly aching. I'm distrustful of reboots of old franchises in general, but I've seen enough good ones to know its worth withholding judgement at least until the god damn thing is released.

One positive thing I can say is that McCarthy has a tendency to appear in things that appear crap on paper but are actually really good - things like The Heat, which the most formulaic of buddy cop movies...that is somehow one of the funniest things I saw that year.

Was going to give my two cents but it seems like everyone else has the same opinions.

maninahat:
I haven't seen anything wrong yet, so I don't really understand the belly aching.

Ditto here. The synopsis is so barebones and broad that you can't possibly make any judgements yet. A pair of the 'busters get kicked out of academia for their theories (which is far from the worst thing that a remake could riff off of), and then there's ghosts. There's nothing to complain about yet.

The photo's decent. It's got some of the same kitschy, 80's feel of the original. Cast sames varied. Hope the Token Black Person gets more to do in this movie than in the original.

I love Ghostbusters SOOOOOO much, I'm totally withholding judgement at very least till we get a trailer. I want more information.

Supahewok:

maninahat:
I haven't seen anything wrong yet, so I don't really understand the belly aching.

Ditto here. The synopsis is so barebones and broad that you can't possibly make any judgements yet. A pair of the 'busters get kicked out of academia for their theories (which is far from the worst thing that a remake could riff off of), and then there's ghosts. There's nothing to complain about yet.

The photo's decent. It's got some of the same kitschy, 80's feel of the original. Cast sames varied. Hope the Token Black Person gets more to do in this movie than in the original.

I'm with the both of you, at least wait till we see a bad trailer before it's labeled as horrible or terrible.

Ascarus:

Where is the screenplay at? I wanna see.

The characters look cool, that green tint and drama school smoke machine effect does not.

I am not filled with hope. Just saying.

Redryhno:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Sure, and the Pre-Sequel might not have been a cheap gimmicky cashgrab.

The fact that they can't seem to stay consistent with their premise being that this is a continuation or reboot of the franchise really should tell alot though.

The Pre-Sequel? You mean, Borderlands? If so, then I actually enjoy that game.

It could mean that people have been talking about the movie and have been taking snippets about the movie without the full picture.

No one knows about the quality of the movie until it's out. Then again, this is a matter of opinion. Which is what I'm implying, really.

I find myself feeling pretty optimistic about this actually. Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones have been killing it lately on SNL and Wiig and McCarthy are proven quantities. I'm going to give this one an honest chance.

That sounds terrible.

I think I will definitely pass on this.

Well, I'll give it a shot since if I'm going to slag it off, I may as well do so from an informed position.

Man it's like Bill Murray was on to something when he said he didn't want to make and wouldn't greenlight another movie. If only they listened. Because this looks pretty terrible

Still looks better than the new Star Wars...

The original ghostbusters were always either looking like they were having fun or like they were in danger.
These guys just look miserable.

Yeah, they look like a fun cast.

So is it a reboot of the original or a continuation? I mean, if all the actors from the original are returning, are they just making cameos but as different people? Or the original characters? And if they are playing the original crew, how in the hell are people still skeptical of events from the 2 movies?

I mean I know it was the 80's, but they had fucking cameras back then. You mean to tell me nobody was able to document the events in a way that would verify their claims? Giant fucking marshmallow man stomping through the city, smashing stuff? Fucking Statue of Liberty being powered by positive supernatural goo, walking through the city?! Come on.

If it's a total reboot, then fine, at least the skepticism would be understandable. But if it's a continuation? I'm calling bullshit.

Wow, a lot of hate in the comments, what's the beef peeps?

Although, I gotta ask, why exactly are they laughed out of their academy? New York got freaking mob-rushed by a literal ghost apocalypse and they're still running with the 'lol, ghosts arn't real, git outta here underdogs' skit. I mean, if it's a prequel sure but the original Ghost Busters have cameos which I'm guessing won't be them in their younger years... I'm confused, interested but... yeah.

Casual Shinji:
Not even the actual Ghostbusters could make a proper follow up

The Real Ghostbusters cartoon was actually pretty close to the feel and "ethos" of the first movie. Its generally considered to be pretty high quality and IMO worth checking out.

kael013:
If that synopsis is accurate this ...thing... will be even worse than I thought it would be.

As for the picture: it's pretty much exactly what I imagined. One to be average, one to be tough, one to be pretty, and one to be big, black, and scary.

Which is weird because of the original Ghostbusters Winston was the pretty one. Bill Murry was kind of the goofy, comedy shtick, but still the uglyish one (well, besides Rick Moranis). Egon was the skinny, nerdy scientist type. I guess that Ray was also a suave, fantasy suit as well as Winston. This is just true for Eddie Hudson and Dan Aykroyd both.

The thing with the original cast though, is that they were all funny. Sure Murry took the stage as being the center of most jokes, but it was the whole group that brought the finishing punchlines. This new group of all-female actors aren't that funny in many of the movies they've done, so how do they expect to make Ghostbusters funny together?

P.S. They better not pull that 'Tammy' slog by making fat jokes about McKarthy yet again. Aykroyd was a bit chubby for his time compared to most actors out there, yet he was about to bring the funny without appealing to the lowest common denominator.

So... I hope the humor is played in an in-universe way just like in the first movie... except for female Bill Murray, who is okay at making "corny jokes" in order to seduce reboot-Sigourney Weaver, of course...

Other than that, where's the trailer?? How am I suppose to judge this more biasly of they're no trailer to base it on? :p

FPLOON:
So... I hope the humor is played in an in-universe way just like in the first movie... except for female Bill Murray, who is okay at making "corny jokes" in order to seduce reboot-Sigourney Weaver, of course...

Other than that, where's the trailer?? How am I suppose to judge this more biasly of they're no trailer to base it on? :p

Well, for one thing you just have to look at the ridiculous wardrobe choices and realize that someone signed off on them and at no point did the director say, "Wait a minute, this looks stupid"...

Let's hope the eventual trailer makes this an outlier.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.