Lightning Models For Louis Vuitton's Final Fantasy Inspired Line

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Lightning Models For Louis Vuitton's Final Fantasy Inspired Line

Final Fantasy XIII's Lightning has returned to modeling, this time for Louis Vuitton's spring collection.

Let's say you're Lightning, protagonist of the Final Fantasy XIII series. You've saved the world, fought through multiple sequels, and even crossed dimensional boundaries for a Final Fantasy XIV event. But with no new game appearances on the horizon, what can you do next? Apparently, the answer is return to the fashion industry and take up modeling. That's right - if you look at promo materials for Louis Vuitton's spring collection, you'll find Lightning sporting a wide variety of new outfits.

This isn't the first time Lightning has "modeled" for the fashion industry - her likeness was used by Prada back in 2012. But that just makes her a natural fit for creative director Nicolas Ghesquiere's new line, which draws from a range of manga, anime, and video game related content. (It even managed to squeeze in some Minecraft references and a sci-fi version Pulp Fiction's Mia Wallace.)

Lightning herself appears to have a prominent place in the line, complete with multiple outfits and accessories in recent advertisements. Perhaps that's appropriate, given Ghesquiere's Instagram posts which state: "Reality and fantasy become one". It's not clear whether Lightning's outfits are a central part of the entire line, but her pink motorcycle jacket, black skirt, and sandals have appeared on a real world model during a recent fashion show.

This sort of thing is increasingly normal in a world where Halo's Cortana also supports Microsoft products, but it's still a little strange to see gaming characters bleed into high fashion. But hey, if there are any Final Fantasy players out there who also happen to be Louis Vuitton customers, they'll probably have a field day with this spring collection.

Source: Quartz

Of all Final Fantasy ladies, of ALL OF THEM, they picked the most boring one. Goddamnit, Final Fantasy VII is overused, but I'd rather see Aerith and Tifa as models. Or, prefferably, Yuna, but FFX is not as famous.

So is this DLC or... ?

Well, Japan. No surprise here.

I don't have a problem with Lightning, and she is a pretty character, so I guess it works out. I mean, if Gendo Ikari can sell shaving cream, then why not?

Mister K:
Of all Final Fantasy ladies, of ALL OF THEM, they picked the most boring one. Goddamnit, Final Fantasy VII is overused, but I'd rather see Aerith and Tifa as models. Or, prefferably, Yuna, but FFX is not as famous.

To be fair the last game ended in Paris, or a place with the fucking Eiffel Tower at the least. Regardless I do agree they could have chosen a better character.

Any chance we can get Tifa to model a line of bikinis?

As typically creepy as this is, and as facepalmingly self indulgent of certain people; what is going on with the series 4 model?? It looks like they've accidentally rendered her lower half the wrong way round, her butt is on the wrong side!! Argh, i can't look at it anymore...it's hurting parts of my brain that i forgot i had.

Mister K:

That's because they were going with the huge Japanese fan favorite female. Also, FF10 is a HUGE fan favorite game in Japan. Why do you think FF10 started the whole subseries stuff in the first place.

Plus this works better than what Nintendo did with Bayonetta and had a Playboy girl cosplay as her in Playboy Magazine to promote the game.

Is it me or do some of the pictures look a little off? Like the poses look unnatural or like she is badly Photoshopped into the clothing? Especially the one where she is holding the purse behind her head while looking back over her shoulder.

Otherwise, all I can say is: Why?

I mean, I don't even hate FFXIII, but I see no reason to use Lightning to advertise this. With the recently announced FFVII Remake, why not use Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, or even Elena for this? It feels like that would be more relevant. It would also work to earn Square money and advertise the game. Two birds with one stone.

Freya would have been a better choice.

Saltyk:
Is it me or do some of the pictures look a little off? Like the poses look unnatural or like she is badly Photoshopped into the clothing? Especially the one where she is holding the purse behind her head while looking back over her shoulder.

Otherwise, all I can say is: Why?

I mean, I don't even hate FFXIII, but I see no reason to use Lightning to advertise this. With the recently announced FFVII Remake, why not use Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, or even Elena for this? It feels like that would be more relevant. It would also work to earn Square money and advertise the game. Two birds with one stone.

I believe it's because of three reasons:

1. The fashion guy (Nicolas Ghesqui?re) wanted Lightning and only Lightning

2. Sakurai already is doing the promotion with Smash

3. Japanese fans eat this up because she's a huge deal over there.

Xsjadoblayde:
As typically creepy as this is, and as facepalmingly self indulgent of certain people; what is going on with the series 4 model?? It looks like they've accidentally rendered her lower half the wrong way round, her butt is on the wrong side!! Argh, i can't look at it anymore...it's hurting parts of my brain that i forgot i had.

It's the pattern on the shorts; they give a weird "rounding" illusion that makes it look like they're protruding when they're not. It bugs me too.

Huge advertising risk there, getting a plywood board to model for you.

Brian Tams:

You're not being very fair here. I mean, a piece of plywood could at least be described as wooden. Which is more personality than lightning has.

Can't be FF inspired, there's not enough useless zippers and belts. :D

I didn't know fashion was so into what homeless people and drifters are wearing right now. Bottom halves of black trash bags and hand wraps are in, people! (Seriously, if it wasn't for the dotted pattern...)

You know, i can almost see Lightning taking up modelling in the new world (post LR) after she becomes more "Claire" again. I mean, just look at Lumina (ie an excised portion of her psyche) - I'm just saying it could fit, is all.

Like everyone else, I don't know if the outfit for Series 4 really... works, as an outfit. Then again, I'm the last woman anyone should talk to when it comes to what's fashionable.

praisegrima

It's funny this should drop, because since I'm working through FFX for the first time, I keep thinking how there a quite a few characters from X onward that look like rejects from a fashion show.

Frankly I think using a plastic doll like Lightning or even Tifa or Yuffie is pretty creepy in my view.

Some hint of a smile would do wonders.

It's kind of funny that the expressions feel to me like they say, "I am very uncomfortable and slightly annoyed about being forced to do this". Especially number 4 which says, "Just get it over with...". Can't blame her with that outfit.

At first I thought its because models are expensive so CG models are good middle ground.

Final Fantasy XIII actually being popular in Japan never occurred to me at all.

I wonder if it has to do with France's new laws regarding fashion models.

-Dragmire-:

It's kind of funny that the expressions feel to me like they say, "I am very uncomfortable and slightly annoyed about being forced to do this". Especially number 4 which says, "Just get it over with...". Can't blame her with that outfit.

I was looking for pictures of insane clothing to crack a joke at Dr.Awkward's comment, but realized something in relation to your comment. Fashion models don't smile. Ever. They just walk down the runway without any expression and then walk back. I think it might be an attempt to allow the clothes to speak for themselves and not distract from their beauty. So these pictures would be right at home on a runway.

Saltyk:

-Dragmire-:

I was looking for pictures of insane clothing to crack a joke at Dr.Awkward's comment, but realized something in relation to your comment. Fashion models don't smile. Ever. They just walk down the runway without any expression and then walk back. I think it might be an attempt to allow the clothes to speak for themselves and not distract from their beauty. So these pictures would be right at home on a runway.

That always bugged me about models who are specifically trained to be mobile manikins. If you're going to wear something flashy, I imagine you would want it to bring you some kind of happiness. By wearing the clothing with that lifelessness, it feels like they don't actually want people to desire them.

Imagine a food commercial where everyone had a deadpan glare... the food might look good but I doubt anyone would want to eat there.

PunkRex:
Freya would have been a better choice.

Not to mention Tidus.

Seriously, they should have gone with Freya. I'd pay to see that.

So people other than squeenix guys who aggressively push her "coolness" exist that actually like lightning?
Huh.

The Rogue Wolf:

Xsjadoblayde:

It's the pattern on the shorts; they give a weird "rounding" illusion that makes it look like they're protruding when they're not. It bugs me too.

Upon closer inspection, it does appear to be some badly thought out lightning lighting. But even knowing that, it still doesn't stop the brain auto-correcting her to backwards-butt mode. Something seems rather off with her top half too, but to be honest, the way she is portrayed as perfectly-sculpted-emotionless-sex-robot-model-513321 is far more worrying for the mental health of Japanese culture than any confusingly rendered clothing.

Square really is hell-bent on acting like Lightning is interesting. Which means they know she'll be forgotten as soon as FFXV is released and people start acting like Noctis is the best character ever.

Dr.Awkward:
I didn't know fashion was so into what homeless people and drifters are wearing right now. Bottom halves of black trash bags and hand wraps are in, people! (Seriously, if it wasn't for the dotted pattern...)

Now I can't see that without thinking she's wearing a trash bag.

I don't know whether to thank you or......well, I don't particularly like Lightening or FFXIII so maybe thank you some more.

I could use this to annoy the people I know who like her, but I don't know anybody who does.

Aiddon:
Square really is hell-bent on acting like Lightning is interesting. Which means they know she'll be forgotten as soon as FFXV is released and people start acting like Noctis is the best character ever.

Why does this surprise you? Square seems to think that FF XIII was interesting enough to make 2 direct sequels. Not even "This is a really cool concept ruined by god awful execution and annoying, stupid characters(except for Sazh)" but they seem to be under the impression that people actually like the damn series.

Maybe it's really popular in Japan or something?

Man, people really hate Lightning.

Yes, she is one of the most boring protagonists ever created, but she does look good. Very good if you ask me.

Barda236:

Brian Tams:

You're not being very fair here. I mean, a piece of plywood could at least be described as wooden. Which is more personality than lightning has.

Zing! Anyway, I would agree, why pick Lightning, I mean, even from a look perspective, she isn't even that interesting.

An Ceannaire:
Man, people really hate Lightning.

Yes, she is one of the most boring protagonists ever created, but she does look good. Very good if you ask me.

And herein lies the problem. She is just another computer generated fancy toy, except they couldn't even be arsed to place a semblance of human emotion within it, er...I mean her. At least the stepford wives could manage a half decent smile and a good cuppa tea. The blank, dead eyes and face just makes one shiver in horror at what could have led to such labotomization.

Mister K:

Rydia =D

How is Rydia never brought into these things? It was like, part of her character arc! Going from a naive waifu to smokin' "Hooo momma" 'monster tamer waifu.'

Who can forget Edge's reaction... xD (strangely no one has drawn him as johnny bravo so you'll have to imagine it)
Or perhaps they could use Porom, she looks like she could really use the fashion help!

also random additional gift I found hopping around looking for images

Xsjadoblayde:
The blank, dead eyes and face just makes one shiver in horror at what could have led to such labotomization.

To be fair, clothing models aren't exactly meant to exude emotion if they're doing their jobs properly, which makes Lightning perfect for the job. She's a natural!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here