Twitter Considering New 10,000 Character Limit

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Twitter Considering New 10,000 Character Limit

Twitter logo

Twitter is considering a new feature that would upgrade its 140 character limit to a more robust 10,000.

Right from the start, Twitter's most unique feature was its most frustrating: A 140 character limit for all public posts. But apparently that's something Twitter itself is considering changing. Following news that the social media giant saw little growth in 2015, various sources within the company claimed the Twitter will soon move beyond the 140 limit. The final count isn't clear, but reports suggest it might run as high as 10,000 characters.

A 10,000 character limit - 71 times higher than what Twitter currently offers - would allow individual tweets to be roughly 2,000 words in length. This is currently the limit Twitter imposes on Direct Messages, so extending that to public posts shouldn't be too difficult. Right now, writing tweets beyond 140 characters requires third-party services like Twitlonger, which display the posts introduction with a link to the full-length post.

Twitter has yet to comment publicly on these claims, but even early reports suggest the feature is still under consideration. That said, we'll have an answer soon, with sources claiming the feature will be introduced by the end of Q1 2016.

Source: Recode

Yaaaay. More characters for people to be offensive, offended and be a major narcissistic arsehole.

Bring on more stupid Hashtags

Then its a blog.

Sure it will cure the people that think its a good idea to start a long ass argument in a system where you will end up segmenting it in 5 different posts but it will also destroy the entire point of being quick and direct.

josemlopes:
Then its a blog.

Sure it will cure the people that think its a good idea to start a long ass argument in a system where you will end up segmenting it in 5 different posts but it will also destroy the entire point of being quick and direct.

Or rather, it'd basically just becomes Tumblr, what with the "choose the content you get to see" and retweeting/reblogging of stuff to your own followers.

Yeah, it'd sorta defeat Twitter's (nebulous) purpose.

This is a joke, right? This really would defeat the site's purpose entirely. Guess they'll have to change the name from "Twitter" to "Squawker".

Parasondox:
Yaaaay. More characters for people to be offensive, offended and be a major narcissistic arsehole.

Bring on more stupid Hashtags

My thoughts exactly.

Increased character limit? I can see that.
10k characters? No, that's just silly.

Increase to 200 characters, maybe. Sounds reasonable, overall. But ten THOUSAND, that I just can't buy.

THAT'S OVER 9000!

O, mean, uh...that's kind of...insane.
But, good for them...I guess?

"Iceberg dead ahead, Captain!"
"It'll move, we have right of way!"

Boy howdy they might just sink the ship. Wasn't the whole tweet catch supposed to be a compressed statement? Fuck if I know how this shit works, I don't even use it.

Doesn't that like completely defeat the purpose of Twitter? Like why not go to bloggers if it's still there?

most tweets i read these days are connected to a twitlonger link anyways so i don't see any problem with this

I don't get the fuss. Do people need to limit themselves to these tiny lengths then? Can they not control or trust themselves not to ramble or, god forbid, explain something properly? It just becomes facebook but still slightly more annoying now. Nothing to get all up in a panic about.

Now we get to read to everyone's lifestory!

Xsjadoblayde:
I don't get the fuss. Do people need to limit themselves to these tiny lengths then? Can they not control or trust themselves not ramble or, god forbid, explain something properly? It just becomes facebook but still slightly more annoying now. Nothing to get all up in a panic about.

I kinda like the creativity the character limit brings out in some tweets. That's just me though. Didn't think people were panicking though.

Xsjadoblayde:
I don't get the fuss. Do people need to limit themselves to these tiny lengths then? Can they not control or trust themselves not ramble or, god forbid, explain something properly? It just becomes facebook but still slightly more annoying now. Nothing to get all up in a panic about.

I think it's that they're taking the most unique thing about the site and essentially removing it. Consequently that 140 character limit forced people to give concise, to the point questions, which is what made it such an effective platform for people to ask questions and receive answers to them because they couldn't afford to ramble on.

As someone who doesn't use Twitter, this news, if true, makes me less likely to avoid the site like the plague. I've always felt the character limit was one of the major contributing factors that's lead to Twitter becoming nothing but a giant outrage factory, since all the other features pretty much encourage political discussion/movements, but the character limit prevents any intelligent, nuanced discussion, and instead gives way to snark and insults. It's pretty much like natural selection; creating an environment where intelligent thought is selected against, and short bursts of sarcasm and vitriol thrive.

I don't really get the idea that this will deprive Twitter of its purpose, since it has a large enough audience to simply be "another social media site". How many people even seek out Twitter for its character limit, rather than its large inbuilt audience? It seems more like an archaic gimmick at this point. Although, I feel the overall environment surrounding Twitter it too awful at this point for an increase in the character limit to make much of a difference.

Still, I find it fascinating how heavily the actual mechanics of a website influence the culture that surrounds it.

Fantastic. I can't wait for people to start arguing their point entirely through other people's tweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeets, as if posting other people's videos wasn't irritating enough.

Finally, I can write my BarbasXTaco fan-fiction.
And then I can link them into it... the perfect eeeeeevil plan!

In all honestly.
Ain't it a little too much? I can understand if you raise it to 200 or 500, but 10K?!
That's a little too much.

I would appreciate a few more characters, but if you raise it to that much, you may as start a blog, Tumblr, or whatever.

Twitter's greatest weakness has always been that expressing yourself in 140 characters doesn't allow for much nuance in your opinions. Therefore I would be welcoming of this in general.

However, my question then is: what's the point? The strength of twitter was that the short length made it easy to use and interact with a fellow human being; with that removed why not just start a normal blog?

Or maybe it is the "normal blogs" they're targeting; even if the character limit is increased there is nothing that prevents the user to limit her/himself to 140 characters.

This article was 1301 characters, for the record.

The original limit was far too short to express any complete thought more complicated than "I like/dislike this/that/other thing" Giving a little more space for things like context or correct spelling and grammar is a good idea. Of course that would be something from 250-500 character limit, where you can write a couple sentences, and still make it concise. Even 300+ characters starts to deteriorate that some, but I'd say they would manage fine with a max of 500 or so.

100000 though, entirely defeats the entire intent of the site as one of quick snips of information. Now it is small blogs you'd see scrolling across your feed, but because of the nature of those feeds, they'd STILL be required to be as attention baiting and contextless as current tweets, since most likely they would rely on the first 150 or so chaarcters as a preview of the following blog, and people would do the same stuff they do no, only knowing that they can cram as much extra stuff after the preview as they need.

Honestly, thinking of it this way, it looks like twitter will capitalize on individual click-bait marketing. I hope it tries, the death of that site will do nothing but make the internet a better place.

I mean, I can understand what you're thinking of doing, but my glob, take it down a notch... like starting at a thousand or something...

Other than that, does this mean that "certain" Twitter accounts would get 10,001 characters... or 20,000 characters?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WadHPTfxrPc

It's happened. It's finally happened. 0_0

I don't like this.

Those of you complaining about the character limit have no idea what you're talking about. The limit imposed upon one forced a user to be creative and edit their remarks, for me anyway. Its like a fun game to restructure the sentence to fit under the limit but still contain the same meaning, and it's fun to read short little micro posts. For me anyway.

140 limit is what makes Twitter unique. Take it away and all your left with is a tumblr clone.

Also anyone bitching about Twitter in general, for god sakes, lighten up. It's fun. I've made friends through it. Also Charles Darwin's wife use to keep a personal diary for herself that was essentially a proto-twitter, she'd only write like 1-3 sentences. I look forward to one day combing through my old tweets and reading my old thoughts.

I use twitter a lot, mainly to post dumb throwaway jokes and shit. It'd be cool if they integrated something like twitlonger, so you could post the headline and link to the full thing, but it would be stupid to do a 10,000 character limit on the scroll and I don't think they would do that. I like that 140 characters forces you to get to the fucking point, but I've always thought it was just a little short. I'd welcome an increase to 160, or a change where links/photos/and @ responses don't eat into the character limit.

The Enquirer:

Xsjadoblayde:

I think it's that they're taking the most unique thing about the site and essentially removing it. Consequently that 140 character limit forced people to give concise, to the point questions, which is what made it such an effective platform for people to ask questions and receive answers to them because they couldn't afford to ramble on.

Well, unless people started segmenting their posts into 140 character "chapters," which happened a fair amount. Or far as I've seen anyway.

140 is a bit low but its the point. I would think 500 would be more than enough. 10k is...well its over 9000

Something Amyss:

The Enquirer:

Xsjadoblayde:

Well, unless people started segmenting their posts into 140 character "chapters," which happened a fair amount. Or far as I've seen anyway.

At least from what I've seen those "chapters" tend to be whining about something someone did and tend to not get a response from the person they're directed towards.

I'm not saying a character limit increase wouldn't be a terrible idea, just 10k seems, as many others have put it, excessive. That can be a good 2-3 pages in a word processor. At that point just use this damn thing: http://www.twitlonger.com/

While I'd like to see the character limit raised a bit, 10k is a tad overkill. There's been a few times I've tried to post something but I needed just a little over 140 characters, about 500 would be better, or 250.

But hey, I don't really use Twitter anyway so in the end I don't even care.

I think in once sense a relatively low character limit makes good sense, it pushes people to be concise but I think 140 is rather restrictive. I would push it up to 4/5 hundred characters. Still restricts people to a couple of sentences so it won't start to overlap with traditional online journals, but would give people more room to say their thing.

Parasondox:

Exactly. What could be bad about making twitter even more internet than it already is?

The Enquirer:

Xsjadoblayde:

The thing is, facebook (as far as i'm aware) doesn't appear to have any character limit, yet most people still only stick to short sentences, memes or at the most a short paragraph. Exceptions being science or news posts (or the odd political ramble *looks around suspiciously*). Now unless there are seas of salivating opinionated minds held at the gates just waiting to be released, i honestly don't think it will change much at all, this worry and dismay comes off rather silly and vaguely humourous at a mere change of character limit, like taking the training wheels off a scared child's bike. It'll be ok. It won't be as bad as everyone appears to think it is.
As for a limit forcing creativity; well, assuming one isn't creative enough without a limit, a kitchen full of only condiments forces creativity with having to make something to eat, that doesn't make it preferable though.

#HashTag Motherfucking Jesse Eisenberg jesus christ fuck dude motherfucking Facebook movie bullshit jesus can you fucking believe this shit Goddamn created Facebook

...Can't wait to spam entire rants.
I'm joking, I've never even had a twitter account and I don't really plan on starting now. Partly because I don't have a cellphone.

The Enquirer:

I'm not saying a character limit increase wouldn't be a terrible idea, just 10k seems, as many others have put it, excessive.

Neither am I saying it's a good thing. I am merely pointing out what happens because it happens and is evidently quite common.

dear god, they're pulling a youtube comment section

...whelp, it'll be fun to see how this'll go to shit

Something Amyss:

The Enquirer:

Xsjadoblayde:

That's because those people are in the wrong place and there is already another site for them. It's called tumblr.
If you need several 140 character posts to express something, then twitter was obviously never meant for you. The only time I've seen people need more space on a regular bases is by professional victims and people attacking the professional victims. Drama queens only.
Everyone else manages to bring over their thoughts because they use the site for what it's mean. A PR stage for short messages about something new with links and/or images giving the real explanation.

Oh, gooooooooooo

oooooooooood. More spermy, spunky spam. Can't wait to see all those deep thoughts jizzing their way down my screen. Whatever, I guess I'll just deal with it by paying less attention.

BiH-Kira:

That's because those people are in the wrong place and there is already another site for them. It's called tumblr.

DSoesn't matter. They're there. In numbers. And with the number of people in "the right place" on the decline, it won't matter.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here