J.J. Abrams Addresses Lack of Rey in The Force Awakens Merchandise

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

J.J. Abrams Addresses Lack of Rey in The Force Awakens Merchandise

rey action figure

J.J. Abrams says it is "preposterous" that Rey is being excluded from various The Force Awakens merchandise sets.

Merchandising is such a massive part of Star Wars, that it should come as no surprise that The Force Awakens has brought with it a new wave of Star Wars toys, Star Wars clothing, and Star Wars oranges. However, fans were quite dismayed to discover that main character Rey was absent from multiple merchandise sets, including Hasbro's official Star Wars Monopoly. Turns out even director J.J. Abrams has a few things to say about that, as he has called out the lack of Rey merchandise as "preposterous".

"I wish I had more details about merchandising and the schedule," Abrams told Entertainment Weekly. "I'm learning things as you are. I will say that it seems preposterous and wrong that the main character of the movie is not well represented in what is clearly a huge piece of the Star Wars world in terms of merchandising."

Abrams continued to explain that he "read that she wasn't in the Monopoly game and was quickly making phone calls about this because if it were true - and it is true, and now Hasbro, of course, has said they're going to put Rey in - it doesn't quite make sense why she wouldn't be there. She's somewhat important in the story."

This is important because toy manufacturers were pulling the "we wanted to avoid spoilers" line when discussing the lack of Rey figures. But if Abrams, with his known aversion to spoilers, is upset about it, then it's kind of a moot point.

Source: Entertainment Weekly

'This is important because toy manufacturers were pulling the "we wanted to avoid spoilers" line when discussing the lack of Rey figures.'

Haha. You make it sound like there's some sort of conspiracy here. Pretty sure they made the decision for fairly transparent reasons. I mean should they cut the black guy to include the woman? It's all really very silly.

I'd be curious to see what sort of toys are missing Rey. And what is included in those toy lines. For example, if Rey isn't in the Monopoly game, but Finn and Poe aren't either, I wouldn't have an issue with it. However, if Finn and Poe are in the Monopoly game, it seems pretty sad to not include the fucking main character.

Of course, Rey should have action figures and be included in some, if not all, play sets that come with figures.

I'll also add that my eight year old cousin saw Episode VII and loved it. She's a huge Star Wars fan. I asked her who her favorite character was and she told me it was Rey. So, it would be a huge loss to a little girl like her if her favorite character wasn't readily available in various toys she might want.

Steven Bogos:
However, fans were quite dismayed to discover that titular character Rey

I do not think that word means what you think it means.

Saltyk:
I'd be curious to see what sort of toys are missing Rey. And what is included in those toy lines. For example, if Rey isn't in the Monopoly game, but Finn and Poe aren't either, I wouldn't have an issue with it. However, if Finn and Poe are in the Monopoly game, it seems pretty sad to not include the fucking main character.

Of course, Rey should have action figures and be included in some, if not all, play sets that come with figures.

I'll also add that my eight year old cousin saw Episode VII and loved it. She's a huge Star Wars fan. I asked her who her favorite character was and she told me it was Rey. So, it would be a huge loss to a little girl like her if her favorite character wasn't readily available in various toys she might want.

The characters in the monopoly game were Finn, Luke Skywalker, Kylo Ren and Darth Vader. So Rey isn't in it but to be fair Poe isn't either so... eh?

Steven Bogos:

Saltyk:

The characters in the monopoly game were Finn, Luke Skywalker, Kylo Ren and Darth Vader. So Rey isn't in it but to be fair Poe isn't either so... eh?

Well, that seems odd. I mean, I kinda get Finn being in it as the trailers seemed to be implying he was the main character. And I did see something saying that the game came out months ago. So I am willing to give them some benefit of the doubt, as it is possible that Hasbro didn't know that she was the hero. They should certainly add her to all future versions of the game, though. It is kinda weird that it lacked any female characters, though. I mean, not even Leia?

Also, why does it only have four characters? Doesn't Monopoly usually have several to choose from? I found old images of the original Star Wars Monopoly that had several different characters.

eh, this is still dumb. Well, complaining about a lack of characters is fine, it's the accusations of sexism that are dumb.

I get people wanting Rey, but I come on, there's only 4 playable pieces, and it's already split between 1 from each trilogy and 1 from each faction. There was literally one piece that could be swapped out for Rey in that model, and then we'd just be left with accusations of racism instead.

The only reasonable complaint is that only having 4 pieces is shit to begin with. Should have been at least 8, or new trilogy only characters if they really wanted to stick with 4.

In any case, perfect opportunity for them to capitalize on expansion sets of characters.

You think Disney would've learned from the Black Widow merchandising thing but they didn't even need that lesson. Rey is the main character, hands down. She is Luke Skywalker for the new trilogy. How do you not merchandise your main character? Thats like Robocop merchandise not containing Robocop. Thats like Alien merchandise not containing xenomorphs. Thats like merchandising Metroid and Kirby and only producing Space Pirates and Waddle Dees. Its like making Pokemon merchandise and having it all be of the human characters. This is a special kind of stupidity. Its pretty clear that a person involved in making this decision got to their position in the company not based on merit.

WhiteTigerShiro:

Steven Bogos:
However, fans were quite dismayed to discover that titular character Rey

I do not think that word means what you think it means.

Well who do you think is awakening in the film? It isn't the beeping soccer ball.

Rey isnt being ignored by manufacturers because she is female. She is being ignored because she is a boring, Mary Sue character who doesnt inspire female nor male children. The more time passes, the more people will get over the buzz, and realize Rey isnt really a Star Wars-worthy character.

Greymarch10:
Rey isnt being ignored by manufacturers because she is female. She is being ignored because she is a boring, Mary Sue character who doesnt inspire female nor male children. The more time passes, the more people will get over the buzz, and realize Rey isnt really a Star Wars-worthy character.

You're right, why would they merchandise a bad character? No one ever does that, and now Disney is finally catching up. In fact, they were wrong to put Kylo Ren in the game too, since he's a sissy pansy poopy. And Luke does nothing but look sad, sooo lame. And Vader is like the worst character in the whole movie, just sitting on the desk, all without a body and shit. Why are any of these characters being merchandised at all? Sooo stupid...

You know, they shouldn't merchandise the Hulk anymore either for the Avengers. He's barely a character, he isn't worthy to be a Marvel star. I mean, he's a green monster, not a young white male, what the hell is he doing here???

Greymarch10:

Both Luke Skywalker and Han Solo are more Mary Sues then Rey. Or Kirk from Trek. Or Ripley from Alien.

My point being the popular characters in the most Sci-Fi films are all Mary Sues to the same (or a larger) degree as Rey.
Just loooked the term up to see if I missed anything, and apparently Mary Sues are also Self-Insertion characters for the author, I don't think JJ Abrams or Geroge Lucas see themselves as teenage girls.

To me the Mary Sue argument/accusation in pretty much any context seems a way to dismiss a film or character without having to point out anything specifically wrong with them.

And there are far more valid criticisms to be made such as

MarsAtlas:

Well who do you think is awakening in the film? It isn't the beeping soccer ball.

Most people seem to be under the impression that Finn is the main character. Probably because the movie follows his story and unlike Rey he actually has an arc his character goes through, something Rey did not have going for her. He also had a much stronger screen presence then her, and while I don't know which one had more screen-time and more lines it sure felt like he was the one who had more focus from the movie.

If the three writers (Abrams amongst them) where going for her being the titular character and the protagonist, they sure failed to accomplish that.

Dominic Crossman:

Both Luke Skywalker and Han Solo are more Mary Sues then Rey. Or Kirk from Trek. Or Ripley from Alien.

Ripley would have been a much more interesting character if dropped into the movie.

Though I really have to ask why you think Luke or Han are more Mary Sues then Rey given Rey was better at using the force then Luke was at the end of Jedi and she was a better mechanic then Han, to say nothing of her unjustified piloting skills.

C'mon, I played monopoly as a child. It had WAY more pieces than 4 to play as. I know the figures are big, but come on! They could have added Rey with her staff, and Phasma who would have balanced things out nicely, and probably wouldn't have spoiled crap.
Maybe even Leia, and the top soldier guy who's name I forget atm.

Hell, it would have been way more awesome if they had open hands to grip weapons, or something. That way people could replace Rey's staff with a blaster, or light saber later on. Heck, a lost light saber from the set, or a lost anything could warrant future purchases of game copies.
I just hope the people who bought the game before can opt to have just the new pieces shipped to them.

Rey has figures out there. People dedicate websites to it, and I actually found some, and have 1 (the 3.5 inch unmasked Rey as I hate her masked figure.) Problem is, they're either stupidly popular as they're flying off the shelf so hard that it should blow away every financial excuse against female figures out of the damn water (Even if scalpers are buying them, the stores are still selling them, thus the demand goes up), she's horrendously shortpacked (I.E. her figures come 1 to every 50.), or they're short packing her into oblivion in that her merch exists, but it may as well not because they don't care to make her which you can draw your own conclusions from.

So, either the toy companies are screwing Rey fans over 9and probably the actress as she's going to get far less royalties off her stuff if she is getting them), or they really need to stop listening to the:
"Boys only want to play as boys!"
"Girls don't buy our product!"
etc. crap and start marketing female characters better.

Hasbro is catching on with their marvel legends line having Spider Gwen (i so frikking want! Especially found in a brick, and mortar), Scarlet Witch, Gamora, Valkyrie, Misty Knight, White tiger, May Parker, Spider Woman (Ultimate, and normal universe), Arana, Wasp, the female Beetle, and more. I fucking collect the hell out of those. Plus they're saving so much frikking money with them as they can reuse molds so easily like the Jubilee BaF which is the base for a lot of the women.
I really hope that despite the heavy price point, younger fans of both genders are getting them, and enjoying them, and I wish they'd continue the half sized marvel legends stuff. I have Red Shehulk, and I'm interested in more beyond that.

But anyhow, seriously, I want to see more Rey stuff in physical locations! Not just for my sake, but for the sake of all her fans, collectors, and anyone that might enjoy owning her merch.

P.S. Nice to see the usual crowd of people that are telling us not to care when they would in out shoes, and the people that are basically hating Rey because she's a capable woman calling her a "Mary Sue" when there's been a ridiculous amount of Gary Stus they just happen to not hate for the only fathomable reason being they're guys.

Edit: Lets do away with a chunk of mystery as to why Rey's talented, yeah? Here's what I imagine is her official bio straight from starwars.com which a lot of people probably overlooked.
http://www.starwars.com/databank/rey

Zontar:

Dominic Crossman:

Ripley would have been a much more interesting character if dropped into the movie.

Though I really have to ask why you think Luke or Han are more Mary Sues then Rey given Rey was better at using the force then Luke was at the end of Jedi and she was a better mechanic then Han, to say nothing of her unjustified piloting skills.

To be fair, more might be pushing it, but as much as...
Luke - Dispite never having piloted a X-Wing is able to fly it like an expert and destroys the Death Star and

Han - You mean the guy all the fans want to be because he's such a bad ass, who only completely fails once (vs Vader and Lando's betrayal) and can otherwise shoot or talk his way out of any given situation. Who saves the protagonists life twice that I remember. Who gets the Princess by being a bit of a dick. Who causes a dozen stormtroopers to retreat for backup on their hometurf of the Death Star. Who finds Luke in the middle of a snowstorm with no tracking device while Luke is wearing winter camo against impossible odds. Who wins the trust of the Rebels so easily that they trust him (and Leia) to lead the assualt on the mission critcal shield generator. As for the mechanic thing that's Chewies department more so then Solos

Side note: None of this is to say I'm a massive fan of character or anything, I just hate the Mary Sue argument, ESPECIALLY when they're far more valid compliants.

Greymarch10:

Even were that the case, you'd still make merch.

Especially if that were the case, you'd make merch. Who would design a character who is basically wish fulfillment, and not make merch? Let me put it this way. I actually have Star Wars merch. Because I'm not a poser. I have an entire fucking book and associated clippings about the entire history of C3PO and the filming process. I have a large doll of fucking 3PO. I had a little R2-D2 toy, my brother had an R2 moneybox, the other brother had a Anakin moneybox, from the goddamn podracing segment in Phantom Menace. I have Luke's landspeeder from A New Hope. The fucking landspeeder, that's hardly the most iconic thing in there. You can get random bounty hunters who only appeared in the lineup in Empire. I'm pretty sure you can get the Bith members of the Cantina band. I have Darth Maul's speederbike, which appeared for bare minutes of screentime. You're engaging in obvious motivated reasoning. You know it's untrue, "search your feelings".

Rey is a Star Wars worthy character, in the exact same way that you're not a Star Wars worthy fan.

Dominic Crossman:

To be far more might be pushing it, but as much as...
Luke - Dispite never having piloted a X-Wing is able to fly it like an expert and destroys the Death Star and

Luke was explicitly piloted a T16, which is referenced several times before he ever gets into the cockpit, and when he confronted Vader after years of knowing about the force he got his ass kicked, Vader toying with him and, when he finally got serious about their fight, immediately cut off his arm. It wasn't until after he finished his training that he stood a chance, and even then the only reason he won was a combination of letting his anger control him coupled with catching Vader off guard.

Rey, on the other hand, is an even better pilot then Luke was despite being a starving scavenger...

Han - You mean the guy all the fans want to be because he's such a bad ass, who only completely fails once (vs Vader and Lando's betrayal) and can otherwise shoot or talk his way out of any given situation. Who saves the protagonists life twice that I remember. Who gets the Princess by being a bit of a dick. Who causes a dozen stormtroopers to retreat for backup on their hometurf of the Death Star. Who finds Luke in the middle of a snowstorm with no tracking device while Luke is wearing winter camo against impossible odds. Who wins the trust of the Rebels so easily that they trust him (and Leia) to lead the assualt on the mission critcal shield generator. As for the mechanic thing that's Chewies department more so then Solos

Yes, the imperfect character who spent years working with the rebellion (a rebellion with people not much more trustworthy then him), saved the protagonist just as the protagonist saved him, caused 5 stormtroopers to retreat when they thought a group of enemies where rushing them (then turning on him once they realized he was just one madman with a blaster), who tracked Luke while knowing his general area after god knows how many hours of searching (they dunked Luke in a bacca tank but not Han, I think he was out in the cold for a bit more then 5 minutes), and leads an assault after proving over the course of years that he is a competent and trustworthy leader for the rebels.

Yes, the character who had depth and actual character, who had faults and, quite frankly, would be hard to see be made as a new character in a big budget movie these days given how the general shift away from wider audiences wanting character depth in movies means it would be hard to make a male rogue character who isn't a villain not cause certain groups to chastise the makers of a movie for doing so.

Side note: None of this is to say I'm a massive fan of character or anything, I just hate the Mary Sue argument, ESPECIALLY when they're far more valid compliants.

There are many legitimate complains about the movie, and Rey being a Mary Sue is very much one of them.

A bit off-topic, but what if Finn actually IS a main character, and modern trilogy is more of a story about a human being becoming a person, while Rei is just a distraction because you HAVE to have a Force user as a "face" of a SW movie? And maybe JJ is upset because she is his creation? Just a thought.

Also, I find it funny that people are buffled by the fact that Finn became a traitor. Empire is basically a Nazi Germany in disguise, right? By the time WWII started, Nazi party was in control of Germany for about 20 years (maybe slightly less). During this period of time, a whole generation of people grew up with these ideals pouring at them from every possible source of information. But if you will tell me now that every single young person of this time in Germany was a hardcore Nazi, I will say that you are bananas.

Fortunately, this story has a happy ending- Rey will be added this year

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/star-wars-monopoly-game-to-add-piece-based-on-rey-after-8-year-olds-note/article28056819/

Dunno why they would limit themselves to four game pieces. Doesn't most Monopoly games come with 6 pieces?

Greymarch10:

And Kylo Ren, the character that threw multiple on screen tempter tantrums, gets a free pass?

OT: Well Star Wars gets people complaining about Rey being a Mary Sue and this. Wow.

Falling:
Fortunately, this story has a happy ending- Rey will be added this year

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/star-wars-monopoly-game-to-add-piece-based-on-rey-after-8-year-olds-note/article28056819/

Dunno why they would limit themselves to four game pieces. Doesn't most Monopoly games come with 6 pieces?

There's been a deluxe edition since 2008 that had a whopping 12 tokens.

I was playing with at least 7 tokens decades ago with the battleship, car, boot, top hat, dog, wheel barrel, thimble. Apparently a cat was added later on coz I saw it in a let's play.

I'm as baffled as you are as to why they went down to 4 tokens, even if they're larger than normal. I mean it's obscenely rare to have them all in one spot beyond starting the game, and even then not every piece has to be on the board then since pieces for players later in the order can always put their piece on later.

Like I said before, I hope people who've already bought the game don't have to buy a whole new one. Besides, it could be more lucrative to have just the tokens bought after the fact.

Zontar:
snip

Sorry post would've been too long :p

You make good points with Luke and can't really argue them

Solo on the other hand.
Tracked Luke in a snowstorm, he shouldn't be able to see 3 meters in front of him forget tracking. Not to mention he's not where his ship landed as he got dragged off so that general location is no good at all.
We have completely different interpretations of the Han chased Stormtroopers scenes so not much to say there, though of we did go with yours, he still scared off 5 of them using nothing more then his voice, and then when vastly outnumbered killed one (or two, I forgot) of them before escaping.
Also he is the archetype of a loveable rogue/jerk with a heart of gold and not much else.
It'd be hard to introduce a character to audiences who is a loveable rouge? Have you a Marvel film recently, barring Captian America that describes a lot, if not all, the male protags, or Kingsman's Eggsy (Spelling?) Or any Tom Cruise protag. In fact I'm having trouble thinking of male protags who aren't loveable rouges (in action/adventure/comedys)

And keep in mind this is the first film, she's got another two films to accumulate as many screw ups as Solo who barring getting captured by the Death Star (which he then escaped from after resucing a princess) never really messed up in his first.

Edit: Never considered myself a Star wars fan, spends two hours arguing about on Internet. Make myself laugh sometimes.

Edit 2: In case someone replys with a counterargument I just want say my original point wasn't meant to be so much X or Y is a Mary Sue, but that the term itself is vague, and that you could ARGUE that the majority of protags are Mary Sues, whether they are or not isn't my point, it's that the term has all but been rendered meaningless by it appliance to strong, whether it physically or emotionally, characters whom someone takes a disliking to (for want may or may not be good perfectly good reasons)

Am I the only one who recognized from even the early trailers that merchandising would be centered around 2 characters predominantly? Neither was Fin or Rey. They would be the cool dark sith guy with the weird red lightsaber everyone was talking about, and the new cute and funny droid ball. Honestly, I am surprised BB was lacking in the monopoly, but given they picked two heros and two villians, not too shocked. Vader and luke were inevitable there as the most iconic aspects of starwars itself, (hell, vader is dead from the 6th movie, so the inclusion is solely because of the iconic nature of his character), as was the film's main villain since they were popular pre-movie and were a fitting "evil" character to add alongside vader. Only thing left is to pick the other hero, a choice between the two new protagonists. Between the two, I got to say Fin is the more central one, given the arc he goes through and how that arc itself impacts the plot because of how his character changing affected events. Rey's arc is a bit smaller, and while it is actually there, it doesn't actually impact the plot. Now, if we were talking about the stuff in the third act, yes, that is certainly plot important, but it is less her as a character, and more her as the avatar of the plot itself.

Honestly, given things like this here, I am not envious their choice, as they were picking between a black man or a white woman in a climate where regardless their pick, they'd get backlash. They picked one, people complained about the lack of the other. If they picked the other, you can bet your ass this same thread would exist about the lack of Fin.

Should they have more characters? Well yes, but if I recall right, this is not the first time they made the game with only 4 player tokens on release, saving the others for the re-release to make more money. Still, they complaints about them only having a few tokens is generally unrelated to those complaining about the lack of rey.

Honestly, yeah, Rey, Phasa and BB should have been tossed in at the very least. But the lack of Rey in a 4 token choice where 3 were already filled, and the competition in choice of the 4th was also the main character of the movie, well, not surprised they made the choice they did, but it isn't significant of anything other than the company's decision to limit the game's first release to sell it again to you later.

So, on the one side, we have a bunch of idiots who can't figure out that they didn't include Rey because they didn't want to give away the whole 'She's the Jedi of this movie' thing and want to fight about how sexist monopoly has suddenly become. You know, because we had people actually threatening to commit physical violence against anyone spoiling even the smallest details of the movie just last week... but we'll just conveniently forget about the insanity going on in the Fandom that Internet Built to make a half-assed statement about the unfair treatment of female characters in merchandising. Newsflash... merchandising is the whoring-out of an audience's emotional attachment to an intellectual property. If you're buying this gimmicky shit at all, you're already part of the problem, whether the toy you bought is a girl or not.

Then on the other side we've got the idiots who can't seem to figure out that EVERY CHARACTER ever designed for Star Wars has basically been a two-dimensional fantasy archetype converted for use into a sci-fi adventure film set a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. I've seen more originality come out of D&D players than what has ever existed in Star Wars and I say this as someone who really fucking LOVES Star Wars.

So all-in-all, it's just another typical day on the internet. Carry on.

PhantomEcho:
Newsflash... merchandising is the whoring-out of an audience's emotional attachment to an intellectual property. If you're buying this gimmicky shit at all, you're already part of the problem, whether the toy you bought is a girl or not.

*dramatic gasp* My vinyl pop Finn bobblehead is OFFENDED by your statement.

PhantomEcho:
Then on the other side we've got the idiots who can't seem to figure out that EVERY CHARACTER ever designed for Star Wars has basically been a two-dimensional fantasy archetype converted for use into a sci-fi adventure film set a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. I've seen more originality come out of D&D players than what has ever existed in Star Wars and I say this as someone who really fucking LOVES Star Wars.

I agree with this, however; I'm not sure whether I find it more amusing that people are up in arms about Rey's "unfair treatment" or the whole "meh meh this story's just A New Hope rehashed". Like... it's Star Wars. What do you EXPECT. I'm not complaining, either. I like a New Hope.

But ah well. Rey's a Sue, Kylo Ren's a big baby, it was a long long time ago [in a galaxy far, far away] so everyone's dead anyway by our time anyway. Nihilism!

I wonder if the people responsible for the merchandising didn't know much about what was actually in the movie. The impression the trailer seems to give is that Kylo Ren is the villain and Fin is a jedi. This would explain why those two were in the Monopoly set.

While I tend to agree with the criticisms of Rey leaving her out of the merchandising doesn't make sense to me unless those making the decisions had little idea what was actually in the movie.

Maybe Disney just hate women? I mean as far as merchandising goes, they have final say.

Zontar:

Dominic Crossman:

My point being the popular characters in the most Sci-Fi films are all Mary Sues to the same (or a larger) degree as Rey.
Just loooked the term up to see if I missed anything, and apparently Mary Sues are also Self-Insertion characters for the author, I don't think JJ Abrams or Geroge Lucas see themselves as teenage girls.

To me the Mary Sue argument/accusation in pretty much any context seems a way to dismiss a film or character without having to point out anything specifically wrong with them.

The term Mary Sue, while technically inaccurate due to not be self insert, is accurate. And Luke isn't a Mary Sue, he has his ass kicked by Tuskan Raiders. He then almost has his ass kicked by Darth Vader if not for Han Solo's help. Han Solo, while borderline Mary Sue, has some dodgy morals to balance him out.

The best comparison I can make to explain it is, Han and Luke are noticed when they're on the death star, without any prior knowledge, but they are disguised. Rey manages to sneak around Star Killer base without a disguise or any prior knowledge, and not get caught. Bit of an imbalance.

The moment that best shows her being a 'Mary Sue' is the fight with Ben, where she manages to have a stronger force pull than he does, despite him having training and her only starting to use the force that day.

Greymarch10:

That is nonsense. As if a toy manufacturer would care for such a reason... infact toy manufacturers are the least caring entities on the market.

What thy are interest in is NUMBERS and only NUMBERS. If it sells then they will make it.

Female action figures have comparatively sold worse then their male counterparts for AGES... thats the sad truth. Turns out the main buyers for action figures are still boys (or boys parents) and boys... no matter what some tumblrina SJWs want to shout into your brain till you actually believe it, are still boys that like to play with toys for boys. When it comes to the likes and dont likes of little kids i rather lean on the side of the giant toy manufarcturer corporations that have been around for more of a century then some special snowflake that wants to make me believe that gender is only a "social construct" (as if that holds any meaning whatsoever, "rights" and "freedoms" are also just "social constructs" after all) and thus not relevant for some alien backwards regressive reason.

The companies will sell what will sell in their eyes... theres no sexism or racism involved in any of their motivations...

Now.. was it stupid to not include rey into that monopoly game? Perhaps.. but only because the number of pieces is so low to begin with.. why do we need darth vader in there? Hes friggin dead... and when hes included.. wheres the emperor? Wheres hand, leya and chewy? Wheres yoda while we are at it? Sounds to me like a bad monopoly version for four players anyways.

So they choose the black guy instead...

Nowadays deciding wich characters to include into a fucking board game seems to be SJW russian roulette. Cant ignore the girl... or youre a mysoginist... cant ignore the black dude... or youre a racist.

No matter what you do.. you lose.

Now.. that ALL being said:

There should be more Rey toys... for better or for worse shes the main protagonist of the new movie and should be a big part of the toy line for that reason to begin with. They cant simply ignore her like leia for most of the time. (besides killing jabba what has she actually done? Most of the time the character was just dragged around and shot some stormtroopers)

halisme:

The moment that best shows her being a 'Mary Sue' is the fight with Ben, where she manages to have a stronger force pull than he does, despite him having training and her only starting to use the force that day.

Uhhh, no. Do you always use your full strength when you pick something up if no one's opposing you for it? When you pick up a can of soda, does it crumple under the force of your grip because you go around constantly using your full strength for no reason?

Kylo had absolutely no reason to USE his full strength when he pulled the lightsaber to him, because he didn't know anyone else was trying to get it. It's no different than if you bent down to casually pick up a broom off the floor yourself, only to have someone you didn't know was there snatch it out of your hand. Neither is any indicator of who is stronger.

Often:

Uhhh, no. Do you always use your full strength when you pick something up if no one's opposing you for it? When you pick up a can of soda, does it crumple under the force of your grip because you go around constantly using your full strength for no reason?

Kylo had absolutely no reason to USE his full strength when he pulled the lightsaber to him, because he didn't know anyone else was trying to get it. It's no different than if you bent down to casually pick up a broom off the floor yourself, only to have someone you didn't know was there snatch it out of your hand. Neither is any indicator of who is stronger.

If someone's in a fight and their weapon is knocked away from them, are they not going to try their hardest to recover it? Secondly, he's a sith, he's wounded and he knew Rey was force sensitive. Those are three reasons for him over do it, and be desperate enough to try anything. His fighting style is based around overdoing it, heavy blows with little control.

Double post, my bad.

Jadak:
eh, this is still dumb. Well, complaining about a lack of characters is fine, it's the accusations of sexism that are dumb.

I get people wanting Rey, but I come on, there's only 4 playable pieces, and it's already split between 1 from each trilogy and 1 from each faction. There was literally one piece that could be swapped out for Rey in that model, and then we'd just be left with accusations of racism instead.

The only reasonable complaint is that only having 4 pieces is shit to begin with. Should have been at least 8, or new trilogy only characters if they really wanted to stick with 4.

In any case, perfect opportunity for them to capitalize on expansion sets of characters.

Wait, racism? For cutting out Darth Vader?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here