Report: Zelda: Twilight Princess HD Will Have "Amiibo Exclusive" New Dungeon

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Report: Zelda: Twilight Princess HD Will Have "Amiibo Exclusive" New Dungeon

zelda twilight princess HD

According to a listing on Amazon France, Zelda: Twilight Princess HD will have a new dungeon accessed via the new Wolf Amiibo.

Love 'em or hate 'em, it's become clear that amiibo has become a very important part of Nintendo's bottom line. Usually unlocking small bonuses in game like skins and items, they have sometimes been used to gate-off entire levels, as in Splatoon's case. Now, if a listing from Amazon France is to be believed (via NeoGAF), the upcoming HD remake of Twilight Princess will also have an amiibo-gated level.

"Unlock bonuses with The Legend of Zelda amiibos: Tap all the amiibos for the Zelda series to unlock bonuses in the game, such as regenerating your life, or getting arrows for your bow. The new Wolf Link amiibo even allows you to get into a new dungeon: 'The Twilight Cave'. The data recorded on this amiibo can even be transferred to the next episode on Wii U," claims the listing.

At this point, we can't tell how substantial the dungeon will be, or if it will be available via any other means (such as an eShop purchase). For comparison, the additional levels granted by Splatoon amiibo are as of now not available any other way.

Other information revealed the the Amazon France listing is a new "Hero Mode" which will immediately be unlocked right from the get-go, and the fact that the game's inventory screen has been moved down to the Wii U's gamepad.

We've reached out to Nintendo for confirmation.

Source: Amazon France via NeoGAF

I'm not concerned with this as a sign of DLC-abuse. Its probably mostly unused assets from Twilight Princess, a dungeon that was scrapped from inclusion when development was already underway, than any sort of genuine new content. It'll probably be pretty empty and unexciting. If anything I'm more concerned that people will think that it'll be a super duper awesome level and will totally justify the cost of the amiibo.

One way or another, this is what we call a "dick move."

erttheking:

This is indeed what is often known as "a festering pile of horseshit."

I wonder how many of those thing will they produce? 10?
Must be awesome to have content gated behind that.

Create limited DLC in the shape of a cute toy and people won't hate you for it, cuz look, a cute toy.

Nintendo truly is the only company that's still all about games... and bullshit DLC. And worse yet, people are celebrating this practice, showing off their dumb amiibo collections.

erttheking:

Sorry, on Rick and Morty withdrawal fitting as it may be. Nintendo is really abusing this whole amiibo thing. It's almost like-

Casual Shinji:
Create limited DLC in the shape of a cute toy and people won't hate you for it, cuz look, a cute toy.

Yeah. Like that.

edit: forgot the error in "translation error." I think it's bed time now.

If the "Twilight Cave" just another one of those small caves spread throughout Hyrule with the only difference being it's slightly larger than the next largest and has some unique art assets, or it has less "character" than the Ice Cavern in Ocarina of Time, big whoop.

If the new dungeon is rather large and/or has some nifty item inside, locking it behind an Amiibo (especially one that may be hard to find within a few weeks of release) is a total dick move, worthy of nomination for the annual Dick Move Awards.

I hope this is a mistake on Amazon France's listing or a translation error. The possibility of a decently sized new dungeon does sound great, but it is piss poor when Amiibo literally become keys to unlock on disc DLC.[1]

Seriously, if any game pulls this again, it needs a reasonable in-game way to unlock what the Amiibo can. I wouldn't care if you had to do the typical Zelda trading sequence to get into this hypothetical dungeon, but having to get a high score in some annoying and/or hard minigame to do the same would be as bad as not having the option.

[1] Granted, I've read about some Nintendo games that do use Amiibo in interesting, non-cosmetic ways.

Casual Shinji:

Nintendo truly is the only company that's still all about games... and bullshit DLC. And worse yet, people are celebrating this practice, showing off their dumb amiibo collections.

Well, many, if not most, of the people who spent several months worth of rent and groceries on their collections don't ever use them. Nintendo just thinks "derp, we sold tons of Amiibos, it's totes okay to pull this kind of crap," since the numbers are high.

If this rumor is really true, maybe it's time for another tsunami of tweets, Facebook posts, angry emails, and stupidly arrogant petitions. Those messages seemed to somewhat give Big N a kick in the ass to make more Amiibos of the characters they thought wouldn't sell well. Then again, Nintendo is the pinnacle of stubbornness, when it comes to game companies.

So uh you basically have to buy a 10 dollar toy, just to unlock an extra dungeon? -slow clap- Brilliant move Nintendo! You truly know how to suck money out like a vampire! No doubt some fans and non fans will buy the amiibo for the extra dungeon.

I will buy the Amiibo for the extra dungeon.

Edit: I have pre-ordered the limited edition of the game.

Sure Nintendo might be over a decade behind on persistent multi console online accounts, but you gotta give them some credit for developing the worst microtransaction system I have ever seen. Oops, did I say credit? I meant endless well earned mockery.

HD as in more stupid over-done lighting? Now with locked away cheats and content? They are just going to get worse now.

Eh, despite my gut reaction, I'm inclined to wait and see how large this "dungeon" really is before casting judgement. Not that it really matters to me as anything other than something to potentially shake my fist angrily at, since I don't own a Wii U anyway, nor have I really cared about Zelda since the N64.

I'm kind of reflexively angry at this, but if I'm honest, my heart isn't in it. Twilight Princess is not a fun game; it's slow and ponderous, like a dimwitted giant trying to remember if he left the keys to his castle up the beanstalk. The dungeons are exercises in tedium without anything new or interesting to make the formula less monotonous (explore dungeon; find area you can't get to; find dungeon item; go back and use it to get to area you couldn't get to; use item on boss so you can hit boss with sword; hit boss with sword), so being promised another dungeon to be bored by doesn't do much for me.

I do like the sword combat, though. Unlocking the moves is dumb, but using them is great. I love the mortal draw and the helm splitter.

WolvDragon:
So uh you basically have to buy a 10 dollar toy, just to unlock an extra dungeon? -slow clap- Brilliant move Nintendo! You truly know how to suck money out like a vampire! No doubt some fans and non fans will buy the amiibo for the extra dungeon.

Sadly the wolf link Amiibo is about 50-60$ but you know there isn't a Scalper that isn't going to at least jack that up to 100$.

I remember when people praised Nintendo for not being dumb with DLC, sadly some are saying the same freaking thing these days when they're charging way too much for DLC or stuffing it in rare ass toys. I mean, be far it from me to call Nintendo out on on-disc DLC but ...it's on Disc DLC and they deserve as much crap as Ubisoft, Capcom, EA or whoever else swings this crap.

I'm just sitting here and smiling while looking at Nintendo fans being angry. This is the company you were defending all this time, people.

And it's only going to go downhill from there. Marvelous.

JimB:
I'm kind of reflexively angry at this, but if I'm honest, my heart isn't in it. Twilight Princess is not a fun game; it's slow and ponderous, like a dimwitted giant trying to remember if he left the keys to his castle up the beanstalk. The dungeons are exercises in tedium without anything new or interesting to make the formula less monotonous (explore dungeon; find area you can't get to; find dungeon item; go back and use it to get to area you couldn't get to; use item on boss so you can hit boss with sword; hit boss with sword), so being promised another dungeon to be bored by doesn't do much for me.

I guess it makes sense then that the game actually has a dungeon with a dimwitted giant that forgets the location of the key item.

RealRT:
I'm just sitting here and smiling while looking at Nintendo fans being angry. This is the company you were defending all this time, people.

And it's only going to go downhill from there. Marvelous.

Hardcore Nintendo fans never get angry (except at Sony and Microsoft), they get creative with excuses as to why whatever bullshit Nintendo pulls is actually them setting a new, positive trend. That or it's the evil third-party Illuminati.

Now you're just being an asshole Nintendo.

Disc-locked content is awful, regardless of whether or not the paywall is in the form of a plastic toy. Nintendo always seems to be 2 steps behind other game companies in terms of business practices and their recent discovery of walling-off extra content behind paywalls makes this seem true. I sincerely hope there's a good amount of pushback against this.

Casual Shinji:
Nintendo fans never get angry (except at Sony and Microsoft), they get creative with excuses as to why whatever bullshit Nintendo pulls is actually them setting a new, positive trend. That or it's the evil third-party Illuminati.

Yeah, I guess you're right, but I'll be optimistic and say that they will get committed to their local insane asylum one way or another.

Casual Shinji:
Hardcore Nintendo fans never get angry (except at Sony and Microsoft), they get creative with excuses as to why whatever bullshit Nintendo pulls is actually them setting a new, positive trend. That or it's the evil third-party Illuminati.

This, I really, REALLY wish this wasn't as true as it is. In other places people are making bullshit excuses for this Amiibo saying it'll give value to Amiibos or how it just feels empty giving kids download codes for earthbound(no really that's an example they used). I wish I was using a straw man there.

*sigh*

I wonder how many will defend this practise. More than enough reasons to stick to its GC release.

Edit:
This sums up my reaction:

Casual Shinji:

I really don't get the amiibo hate. Maybe it's because I see them as figurines first and Dlc second. I mean, hell, I've spent three times as much for figures about the same size that didn't unlock any bonus content for Persona.

Besides that, The amiibo were always on-disc dlc from day one. from stupid costumes in Mario Kart to better(?) AI controlled enemies in Smash bros. It's nothing new. Doesn't excuse it, sure, and I can see why some people are a bit miffed, but it's not like it's a shocking swerve no one saw coming. Wolf Link would've had to do something to the game.

EyeReaper:

Casual Shinji:

I really don't get the amiibo hate. Maybe it's because I see them as figurines first and Dlc second. I mean, hell, I've spent three times as much for figures about the same size that didn't unlock any bonus content for Persona.

Besides that, The amiibo were always on-disc dlc from day one. from stupid costumes in Mario Kart to better(?) AI controlled enemies in Smash bros. It's nothing new. Doesn't excuse it, sure, and I can see why some people are a bit miffed, but it's not like it's a shocking swerve no one saw coming. Wolf Link would've had to do something to the game.

People want their plastic figurines... Fine. The DLC can be seen as a nice bonus in physical form. But don't gate it off from everyone else who can't get a hold of one. Just allow people to download it, however insignificant it may be. If it is just all about the figurines, what's the harm in putting that same DLC on sale in the eShop?

And no matter how unsurprising this particular amiibo DLC may be, it doesn't deserve any less ire.

loa:
I wonder how many of those thing will they produce? 10?
Must be awesome to have content gated behind that.

Have you walked into a shop recently? I can only talk for the UK, but we're not hurting for Amiibo anymore.

Honestly, Nintendo cannot win when it comes to amiibo, they unlock a minor cosmetic change and people complain that they're useless, they unlock a extra mission and people complain that it's sticking content behind a paywall. And the Smash Bros method of using Amiibo is not gonna work with every title.

And as for saying Nintendo has been all about Bullshit DLC, have you seen todays splatoon article? Free DLC coming to a close after about 6 months of constant support. Hyrule Warriors having a mix of fairly priced DLC and Free updates.

Casual Shinji:
People want their plastic figurines... Fine. The DLC can be seen as a nice bonus in physical form. But don't gate it off from everyone else who can't get a hold of one. Just allow people to download it, however insignificant it may be. If it is just all about the figurines, what's the harm in putting that same DLC on sale in the eShop?

And no matter how unsurprising this particular amiibo DLC may be, it doesn't deserve any less ire.

This is why I'd say it's too early to be getting angry, we don't know IF the content will be available separately or not.

Casual Shinji:

Can you really blame Nintendo for following what is now the market standard?

People bought many of the DLC Nintendo sells in the droves heck people wanted Nintendo for better online services. Skylanders and Disney Infinity created an entire new market.

So either we suck it up and accept it or not.

Remember the time where Nintendo said "People do not want to play Online Games" That was said from the late Saturo Iwata.

Casual Shinji:

EyeReaper:

Casual Shinji:

Nintendo did say once that every Amiibo will get a "card" version that you can get for much cheaper.
I wonder what's happening with that. Never heard anything about that.

That being said
OT:
Wouldn't "Rumor" be more fitting than "report" in the title? After all, that's just based on the French Amazon and it's not the first time they listed something wrong. Until Nintendo confirms it and/or more places have it listed, I will see this as nothing but a baseless rumor. After all, Iwata did say they would never make Zelda dungeons as DLC. Every Zelda would be sold as a finished game with no new dungeons added to it ever. So this kinda seems to go against that.

If this does turn out to be true then I have to say it won't bother me at all.It's not as if they're locking off previously existing content and given how minor most of the amiibo content has been anyway it'll probably be something small.I can't see them locking off an entire dungeon

Poetic Nova:
*sigh*

I wonder how many will defend this practise. More than enough reasons to stick to its GC release.

I don't have to defend it. ITS A BLOODY RUMOR LIKE HALF OF EVERY NEGATIVE NINTENDO ARITCLE THESE DAYS. This appeared in a description in Amazon France along with other information, then the part that said Amiibo dungeon was removed but everything else was kept. And before that it was first announced by a extreme Nintendo hater on Neogaf who then dedicated half of his OP to how much Nintendo was the devil. If this is true, then, yes, it's really stupid. But like so many other things, its currently unprovable so why do I have to defend it?

I also do like how THIS was news and not the Pokemon 20th anniversary stuff, not the fact that Nintendo is branching into movies and anime, not the fact that we got a clearly idea at what Nintendo is doing this year from the new president but a bloody rumor that is from an unreliable source that was removed.

Casual Shinji:

You sure got that right. I was reading the comments on a Nintendo-centric site and anyone who complained about this (even if they acknowledged that it is still a rumor and posted rational thoughts) received tons of replies with excuses.

"It gives you a reason to buy the Amiibo." "That's why there's a bundle" "Nintendo is rewarding you for buying the Amiibo." It kinda reminds me of the small group that wanted Microsoft to keep its demonic DRM for the Xbox. Yeah, send them the message they can do whatever they want. That sure helps us out./s

BiH-Kira:
Nintendo did say once that every Amiibo will get a "card" version that you can get for much cheaper.
I wonder what's happening with that. Never heard anything about that.

That being said
OT:
Wouldn't "Rumor" be more fitting than "report" in the title? After all, that's just based on the French Amazon and it's not the first time they listed something wrong. Until Nintendo confirms it and/or more places have it listed, I will see this as nothing but a baseless rumor. After all, Iwata did say they would never make Zelda dungeons as DLC. Every Zelda would be sold as a finished game with no new dungeons added to it ever. So this kinda seems to go against that.

I'm still waiting for news on those cards. They sure would mitigate this (rumored) issue somewhat, and people without the space or money for tons of figures would appreciate the smaller, thinner cards. But, I have this feeling Nintendo may have dropped the idea for cards for anything other than small items, such as in that new Animal Crossing game.

I generally have faith that the Zelda teams won't ever make a major dungeon as a DLC option. This rumor itself seems pretty sketchy.

Although, I'm become skeptical of any promises from industry leaders. The are quite a few times in recent years where they've turned around and done the opposite, whether just for greed or out of necessity.

Samtemdo8:

Yup. If all your friends jumped off a bridge, I could still blame you for following the trend.

JimB:

Samtemdo8:

Yup. If all your friends jumped off a bridge, I could still blame you for following the trend.

People have been asking of Nintendo to get into online gaming and people buy all these Amiibos in the 100s. And look at the success of Splatoon.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here