Next-Gen CPUs Will Likely Require Windows 10

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Next-Gen CPUs Will Likely Require Windows 10

Intel 4770K Social

Microsoft is doubtful that next-generation CPUs will run on Windows 7.

Windows 10 has been receiving a much warmer reception than its predecessor, Windows 8, but that still doesn't mean it's perfect, and many PC gamers are understandably sticking with Windows 7 for now. However, those of you holding out may not be able to do so for much longer, as a recent article from Microsoft discussing Windows 10's compatibility with Intel's sixth-gen Skylake CPUs, suggests that it will be next to impossible to get the chips working on Windows 7.

"Windows 7 was designed nearly 10 years ago before any x86/x64 SOCs existed. For Windows 7 to run on any modern silicon, device drivers and firmware need to emulate Windows 7's expectations for interrupt processing, bus support, and power states-which is challenging for WiFi, graphics, security, and more," wrote Windows and Devices Group Executive Vice President Terry Myerson.

"As partners make customizations to legacy device drivers, services, and firmware settings, customers are likely to see regressions with Windows 7 ongoing servicing."

For those of you worried that Microsoft will straight-up drop support for the OS, Myerson assures us that Windows 7 will be supported for "security, reliability, and compatibility" on previous-generation CPUs until January 14, 2020. You just probably won't be able to upgrade to the shiniest newest stuff. As an example, he said that Intel's upcoming Kirby Lake, Qualcomm's 8996, and AMD's Bristol Ridge will only support Windows 10.

Source: Windows Blog via PC Gamer

They're being really vague about what "support" means here too. Most likely, it'll continue to work, but they won't provide any formal support, such as graphics drivers (which could definitely be an issue if you're using integrated graphics) etc.

P.S. Thanks

Covarr:
They're being really vague about what "support" means here too. Most likely, it'll continue to work, but they won't provide any formal support, such as graphics drivers (which could definitely be an issue if you're using integrated graphics) etc.

P.S. Thanks

What this guy said. "Emulating Windows 7's expectations for interrupt processing, bus support, and power states" likely won't happen, but if you fail to uphold 7's "expectations", then what? Probably just a loss of minor features and some functionality.

I feel Microsoft is increasing their use of scare tactics to forcibly encourage people to accept the windows 10 update they installed last week when we weren't looking. If they simply mean you need software that makes use of the newest fanciest hardware, that has been the case forever.

drkchmst:
I feel Microsoft is increasing their use of scare tactics to forcibly encourage people to accept the windows 10 update they installed last week when we weren't looking.

"We do worry when people are running an operating system that's 10 years old that the next printer they buy isn't going to work well, or they buy a new game, they buy Fallout 4, a very popular game, and it doesn't work on a bunch of older machines. And so, as we are pushing our ISV [Independent Software Vendor] and hardware partners to build great new stuff that takes advantage of Windows 10 that obviously makes the old stuff really bad and not to mention viruses and security problems."

This was a quote from Chris Capossela, Microsoft's chief of marketing. Not technology, not research- marketing. Microsoft isn't even trying to disguise their desperation to get everyone on Win10. I wonder how hard they leaned on these manufacturers to get them to dump support for anything previous?

Absolute. Bollocks.

It'll all most likely work just fine with Windows 7, as that's still the largest market. And the thought that these new CPU's won't also support Linux in any way is laughable.

Microsoft is extremely nervous that people aren't making the plunge into Windows 10 all at once like they wanted. I've seen article after article from various tech sites such as PC Gamer, praising Windows 10 to no end! This being one example.

Windows 10 offers NOTHING to users except DirectX 12 being exclusive. But even that is pointless, with Vulkan being widely accepted by the entire industry. Even flippin' Nintento has signed on with Vulkan!

This is all a ploy to get you used to the idea that switching to Windows 10 is an inevitability. But it isn't. Windows 7 will continue to work fine until 2020, after which your best bet will be switching to Linux, which is already gaining HUGE ground when it comes to gaming. In fact, a third of all games released on steam now are Linux compatible, which is simply astounding considering there were 0 just a couple years ago.

Well duh, this is Microsoft we're talking about. They've been pulling the whole "planned obsolescence" con since Windows 3.1.

Notice this is coming from Microsoft not Intel. It doesn't work like that. the manufacturers provide the drivers. The best microsoft can do is make the drivers unsigned. More likely its more Microsft horseshit speak like the Kinect. They do this shit all the time. It's a scare tactic.

Mr.Savage:
Absolute. Bollocks.

It'll all most likely work just fine with Windows 7, as that's still the largest market. And the thought that these new CPU's won't also support Linux in any way is laughable.

Microsoft is extremely nervous that people aren't making the plunge into Windows 10 all at once like they wanted. I've seen article after article from various tech sites such as PC Gamer, praising Windows 10 to no end! This being one example.

Windows 10 offers NOTHING to users except DirectX 12 being exclusive. But even that is pointless, with Vulkan being widely accepted by the entire industry. Even flippin' Nintento has signed on with Vulkan!

This is all a ploy to get you used to the idea that switching to Windows 10 is an inevitability. But it isn't. Windows 7 will continue to work fine until 2020, after which your best bet will be switching to Linux, which is already gaining HUGE ground when it comes to gaming. In fact, a third of all games released on steam now are Linux compatible, which is simply astounding considering there were 0 just a couple years ago.

Considering on top of this there's compatibility issues and bugs with windows 10 gaming, you have to be a desperate early adopter to be using it right now.

Mr.Savage:

Indeed. I use 2D and 3D painting and animation software that only works on Windows but getting Photoshop and Corel Painter to run on Wine is supposedly easier than ever with minimal performance impact and 3DS Max 2014 will probably be far outstripped by Blender 3D by then. Maya already runs on Fedora so the transition to Linux should be painless, except for ZBrush. I hope they get that working on Linux.

Not entirely unexpected. Microsoft has been making it clear that they want the entire Windows ecosystem under a single version rather than having to deal with the very fractured nature of Windows right now, where a version from 15 years ago still holds about 10% market share! The fact that Windows 7 is even receiving support this long after release is quite amazing. Apple and most of the major Linux distros (or at least Ubuntu and its derivatives) would have stopped caring a long time ago.

MysticSlayer:
Not entirely unexpected. Microsoft has been making it clear that they want the entire Windows ecosystem under a single version rather than having to deal with the very fractured nature of Windows right now, where a version from 15 years ago still holds about 10% market share! The fact that Windows 7 is even receiving support this long after release is quite amazing. Apple and most of the major Linux distros (or at least Ubuntu and its derivatives) would have stopped caring a long time ago.

A couple problems with that when you upgrade windows to a newer version there is NO guarantee for compatibility where as Linux keeps all compatibility from earlier versions with little problems somehow. And the less we talk about the process of updating Windows AT ALL the better(How is it that a clean install is easier than upgrading baffles me). Linux Distro Upgrade process, Click Software update-> would you like to install x.xx->yes->wait(Less than hour)->restart and done.
Price Linux(Free-20$) OSX(20$-New expensive Mac) Windows (200-500$ Full version can upgrade computers motherboard, 100-170 OEM AKA per motherboard version).
As for support can't blame you there Linux tends to support a LTS of 5 years and the in between 6 months-1 year depends on the maker for the distro and OSX is dropped once a new one comes out.

snintendog:

MysticSlayer:

A couple problems with that when you upgrade windows to a newer version there is NO guarantee for compatibility where as Linux keeps all compatibility from earlier versions with little problems somehow.

No, it doesn't. Heck, from my experience (and the experience of almost everyone I know), hardware compatibility can't even be fully maintained from update-to-update, let alone from version-to-version. Even the Ubuntu community largely agrees that less experienced users should stay away from short-term releases and wait some time (I think at least 8-10 months) after an LTS release to give the more experienced users time to find and fix hardware compatibility issues (among numerous other bugs).

And sure, normally stuff works, but I know I've personally experienced far more problems with hardware incompatibility on Linux than I have on Windows, and I've used Windows far longer than Linux. And given the experience of most people I know who dual boot (i.e. don't use a VM), the same can be said of all but the most experienced users. Even then, I'd imagine the most experienced users are just less phased by problems and can fix them quicker, not that they don't run into them.

And the less we talk about the process of updating Windows AT ALL the better(How is it that a clean install is easier than upgrading baffles me). Linux Distro Upgrade process, Click Software update-> would you like to install x.xx->yes->wait(Less than hour)->restart and done.

Clean installs are seen as superior on every system. Even in Linux it is advised to always back up data and do a clean install with each upgrade.

Price Linux(Free-20$) OSX(20$-New expensive Mac) Windows (200-500$ Full version can upgrade computers motherboard, 100-170 OEM AKA per motherboard version).

Fair enough, but at least right now the upgrade to Windows 10 is free for Windows 7 users, and at least Microsoft is informing us of this stuff before that free upgrade period is over rather than after. If they had waited until the free upgrade offer was over, then I can understand the outrage. Even I would be outraged at such an anti-consumer practice, and I'm already on Windows 10! But under the current circumstance, at least consumers are being informed about the next four years (when Windows 7 officially loses support) so that they can make an informed decision about whether or not they'll wait until 2020 or take the free upgrade.

Misleading and taken out of context.

Of course new CPUs will work on old Windows OSs (all the way back to 3.1)
But the new features are something that won't be "supported"

Last time I had this feeling in my gut all the L.I.M.B. clinics gave out bogus biochips. Why do I feel like as soon as enough people switch to 10 M$ is going to pull some kind of devious rug woven from sinister schemes and nasty plots?

Steven Bogos:
However, those of you holding out may not be able to do so for much longer, as a recent article from Microsoft discussing Windows 10's compatibility with Intel's sixth-gen Skylake CPUs, suggests that it will be next to impossible to get the chips working on Windows 7.

Then why does the article you source guarantee Skylake compatibility until 2017?

Ah, sure, Microsoft. I'll totally switch over to your completely not suspect OS. I mean, it's not like it tries to share my wifi passwords with people- OH WAIT.

i have a good gaming rig and i keep win 7 on it for as long as possible. i have switched off updates just to make sure its not preventing me from using my stuff and also for giving me the option to update win to 10. i have read enough topics about people complaining about some games not working on win 10 so i stay far away from it.
however, i do have win 10 on my laptop since win 8 is just a disaster and so far no complaints. works faster too.

but this compatible talk here is just a forced scare marketing scheme to lure people to get the latest version. not falling for that.
hell, even lots of companies still use XP. only some use win 7. so i think this isnt going to change anyones mind soon.

Alleged_Alec:
Ah, sure, Microsoft. I'll totally switch over to your completely not suspect OS. I mean, it's not like it tries to share my wifi passwords with people- OH WAIT.

[Citation needed.]

(And no, the pic with the damn HL2 metrocop doesnt count!)

BeerTent:

Alleged_Alec:

[Citation needed.]

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/wi-fi-sense-faq

Where's my tinfoil hat...

If I don't get to opt out of data-monitoring and collection, then I'm not interested. I'm not surprised it isn't, but it should be very illegal.

Steven Bogos:
"Windows 7 was designed nearly 10 years ago before any x86/x64 SOCs existed.

People you're missing the point (or the article is wrong). The statement goes for SOC systems and I highly doubt that normal computers will use SOC chips.

As for IOT devices and phones... I don't really care what OS they run on.

Alleged_Alec:

BeerTent:

Alleged_Alec:

[Citation needed.]

You realize if you actually read that website it says that what you are claiming is total BS.

Alleged_Alec:

I suggest you read your citation as it clearly states how Wifi Sense is an optional feature and that the user has the control, heck in point 3 of "How can I share my network with my contacts?" it says:

"Select one or more of these check boxes-Outlook.com contacts, Skype contacts, or Facebook friends-depending on which groups of contacts you want to share networks with."

It also tells you how to set your network so that it cannot be shared by someone already authorised on the network:

"If you don't want Wi‑Fi Sense to connect people to your open Wi‑Fi network or allow people to share access to your password-protected network, you can opt your network out of it by including _optout somewhere in the Wi‑Fi network name (also called the SSID)."

I've been using Windows 10 since the insider program started, do I think Windows 10 is perfect? No, no nothing is, but it's not the "throw all security out the window and let everyone see your files and join your network at will with no control over it while Microsoft digs through your files trying to find incriminating evidence" that some people make it out to be. If you have people joining your network without permission or your sharing data with Microsoft that you don't want to share, then it's your own fault for not reading the information that Microsoft clearly gives you during Windows 10 setup.

I thought the Itanic already set sail once before. Lets see if this ship sales again. No one liked Itanium when it cut out support for all the old, and required all the new. That 64 bit ship sank, and left Carly and HP without a life preserver. AMD became king for a time in Server world because of this. If AMD doesn't decide to cut off its nose to spite its face as well then maybe it'll be King one more time.

Smilomaniac:
Where's my tinfoil hat...

If I don't get to opt out of data-monitoring and collection, then I'm not interested. I'm not surprised it isn't, but it should be very illegal.

With the exception of telemetry data that doesn't even contain personally identifiable information, all the data collection features of Windows 10 can easily be turned off. They even have a well-identified "Privacy" section under Settings to do just that. On top of that, programs that rely on data collection (e.g. Cortana) are (from what I remember from setup) entirely opt-in with a clear warning of what you're getting into. Beyond that, features like One Drive can only collect data if you use them, and even at that, Microsoft has made it clear that they aren't opening your files to steal your data. You just simply can't have features like cloud storage, online search, and email without sending some data (either yourself or indirectly) to the company providing the service.

In short, the scare around data collection on Windows 10 is a complete boogeyman. Microsoft doesn't care about your data beyond they're ability to provide certain services to you, and those services are clearly marked and either completely opt-in or easy to opt-out of.

MysticSlayer:

In short, the scare around data collection on Windows 10 is a complete boogeyman. Microsoft doesn't care about your data beyond they're ability to provide certain services to you, and those services are clearly marked and either completely opt-in or easy to opt-out of.

First towards your previous arguments:

It doesn't matter what you can opt-in or opt-out of. These features are there and the trust is gone. Since the whole PRISM scandal, I don't believe a single word they say about secure privacy. There is no way that this trust will return.

Now to the quote:

After all these backdoor-scandals and spy scandals, how can you believe MS is acting in such a good faith? Even if they wanted to?

Something Amyss:

Then why does the article you source guarantee Skylake compatibility until 2017?

Thats when devices using the Skylark SOCs hit the shelves.

gxs:

Steven Bogos:
"Windows 7 was designed nearly 10 years ago before any x86/x64 SOCs existed.

People you're missing the point (or the article is wrong). The statement goes for SOC systems and I highly doubt that normal computers will use SOC chips.

As for IOT devices and phones... I don't really care what OS they run on.

You have to rewrite the the hardware allocation layer to get the SOC version running on windows and that costs money. Microsoft are not going walk away from supporting the biggest chip manufacture in the world especially when the most common application for the new SOC chips are going to be laptops. So fundamentally Microsoft dont have choice but to rewrite Win10 so that the SOC chips works. What they are not going to do is spend millions of dollars on rewriting an older OS, especially when they gave 10s of millions of free upgrades.

Metalrocks:

but this compatible talk here is just a forced scare marketing scheme to lure people to get the latest version. not falling for that.
hell, even lots of companies still use XP. only some use win 7. so i think this isnt going to change anyones mind soon.

They will when the next hardware cycle comes around and they find they can't buy non SOC laptops without paying for gaming laptops.

I sometimes wonder if this is some sort of long con Microsoft is running to see how much it takes to derail Windows' inertia.

Also:

So the actual title here is "Microsoft is cutting support for all but Win 10", which really is not surprising since they are doing this in all fronts since their existences. The only real news here is they have the balls to come out and scare people into buying their next product... quite the move.

CPU power hasn't been a limiting factor for games for quite some time now. Gamers will be perfectly happy with i7 chips, thank you very much, Microsoft, or even AMD if it comes to that.

"Hey, I'm Intel, I'm a pc hardware company, I sell hardware".

"Hi Intel, I'm your consumer, I buy your hardware. Look at the OS market share distribution for what we are using".

"Wow consumer, a lot of you sure are using Win7 (over 55%) and heck, there are more people using XP (11%) than using Win8 (10.3%). Win10 (9.96%) is still in 4th place. Guess that means I'm going to make sure I cater to you."

"Great Intel, that means most of us will continue giving you our business. Cheers"

Look, Microsoft can say a lot of things, but hardware manufactures aren't going to release a new chip that is only compatible with less than 10% of machines out there. In fact, there is almost no reason to prevent any OS from being compatible with it. They are in the business of selling chips. I think Win10 will do far better than win8 but we won't be looking at a majority in market share for several years if ever. To be entirely honest, Microsoft knocked it out of the park with Win7. If Win11 were basically Win7 but with all the actual updates under the hood then that would be the next majority. This is different from WinXP which was a great OS but clearly inferior to Win7. Win10 has clear disadvantages along with its advantages and that's a problem. They primarily need to give control back to the user. Allowing for skins again would be nice too. It's cute of them to want to force the metro style every chance they get but it is tedious and the forcing of it is what is pissing people off. All the way up to Win7 you could even have a '95 skin of all things. No reason why they'd take that ability away too.

If Microsoft wants to be compelling, they need to appeal to the consumer, not try to force what they think we want on us. They're so close and took so many good steps with Win10. But then they took other steps back.

Lastly, CPUs aren't really that important anymore. They are now the glorified switchboard operator and not the processing powerhouse anymore. That role goes to RAM and the Video Card now. If you keep updating to the newest CPU then you're likely wasting $100-$200 that you should otherwise be spending on a better card or a second card to crossbridge for far better results.

It took me forever to begrudgingly upgrade from XP to 7. It will be another eternity before I'm forced to use 10.

And this information only surfaces now?
Modern CPU's, the most important part of a computer, will cease to be supported, "Just thought you should know also buy Windows 10 so you can buy CPU's so we can monitor you and give you adverts, and not support old games and lock new games behind exclusivity".

Really going out of their way to put a smile on my face.

Naldan:
It doesn't matter what you can opt-in or opt-out of. These features are there and the trust is gone. Since the whole PRISM scandal, I don't believe a single word they say about secure privacy. There is no way that this trust will return.

Except those features that are causing privacy concerns include, among other things:
-One Drive: Which literally can't exist if you aren't sending Microsoft data. That sending of data is entirely on you.
-Bing: A search engine, which again can't exist if it isn't at least collecting your search query.
-Cortana: Which is turned off completely by default and you can't turn it on until you agree to Microsoft's privacy policy.
-Outlook: Which again can't exist if Microsoft can't have any email data to store on the computer you need it to be stored on.
-Edge: Which needs you to input data so that it can send it wherever you specify.
-Office 365: Which needs you to provide that data to Microsoft so that they can make it available to everyone else. Otherwise, you're left with email, which I've already mentioned.
-Skype: Which needs to at least send audio and text data to facilitate communication.

And on and on. Bottom line: A lot of stuff simply can't exist without some form of data transfer. Microsoft at least maintains honesty by letting you know that such data transfers are occurring. Sure, there are ways to increase security in some of these areas, but that also has to be weighed against losing convenience. For instance, many email providers that attempt to increase encryption security lose features like IMAP and, as a result, compatibility with MUAs (e.g. Thunderbird) or other email providers (at least not without some serious hassle).

Ultimately, it comes down to whether or not you want the convenience or...peace of mind?...And as far as Windows 10 is concerned, Microsoft gives you that option and also makes you aware of what your options are. If you're that paranoid, you don't have to give them anything.

After all these backdoor-scandals and spy scandals, how can you believe MS is acting in such a good faith? Even if they wanted to?

Prior to the Snowden leak, there was little incentive to challenge the government. In fact, there was every incentive to go along, since challenging the government would incur heavy costs. After the Snowden leaks, many companies began to see that people didn't like the prospect of government spying, and companies like Apple, Microsoft, and Google have taken steps to protect users' information against such spying if for no other reason than PR. Microsoft in particular has threatened to sue the government, threatened to violate laws that said they couldn't remain transparent with their consumers, have discussed moving their servers to countries with better privacy than the U.S., among other things.

In short, pre-Snowden didn't offer an incentive. Post-Snowden does, and Microsoft seems to be among the companies trying to maintain user privacy (as best as can be done with the technology everyone wants) in a post-Snowden era.

Lightknight:

Allowing for skins again would be nice too. It's cute of them to want to force the metro style every chance they get but it is tedious and the forcing of it is what is pissing people off. All the way up to Win7 you could even have a '95 skin of all things. No reason why they'd take that ability away too.

I couldn't agree more!

I still have the theme file I started using on Win 95 through 98, 2K, ME and XP.
Custom sounds, cursors, backgrounds, and all the different windows border color, width, active color, dormant color, font size, color, etc...
Sooo much too configure your way.

OT:
I used Win XP up until my last computer went bust last year (or was it the year before that?) and my new one came with Win 8 pre-installed.
I would still preferably be using Win XP if it was 64-bit.
Microsoft seems more and more arrogant about forcing you to accept IT'S way and way too greedy about your data since Vista.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here