Five Nights at Freddy's Creator Apologizes for Newest Game

Five Nights at Freddy's Creator Apologizes for Newest Game

"I got too eager to show the things that were finished, that I neglected to pay attention to the things that weren't."

Despite giving a release date of February 19, Five Nights at Freddy's creator Scott Cawthon released his newest game, RPG FNaF World, yesterday. While releasing games ahead of schedule is nothing new for Cawthon, he has now penned an apology on the game's Steam page, stating that this is the first time he feels that he's released a game before it was ready.

"You know, I've been accused of rushing my games ever since FNaF 1, but I've never felt that I'd released a game too early... until now," Cawthon wrote. "There are a lot of features that this game should have had before release, features that I was told about, but ignored and didn't implement. Features such as being able to see what abilities do during battle, or being able to see a stats page for your characters. These are features that any good RPG would have."

"I got too eager to show the things that were finished, that I neglected to pay attention to the things that weren't."

Cawthon has promised to fix the issues with the game, adding updates with the above features "in the coming weeks."

"So I say this to a community that I've enjoyed and respected for over a year and a half now- I'm sorry," Cawthon continued. "I will continue to add features to the game and make it right."

Whatever your opinion of the FNAF games, I think its respectable that he's willing to admit his fault and endeavor to do better.

However! I watched Jim Sterling play this game, the constant flashing and movement started to annoy my eyes and I'm pretty sure it can agitate someone's epilepsy

I'm of the mind he's earned enough goodwill that a mistake of rushing release isn't going to sour the fanbase. Especially since he did exactly what pretty much all AAA publishers fail to do and own up to his screwups, publicly and in a timely fashion with absolutely no jargon that sounds like a half-assed apology wrapped in language that somehow implies the customers are actually at fault.

A developer going "My bad, I released it too soon and I'll fix it, I'm so sorry"?!

...Wow. That's a rarity these days.

And if a triple A studio did this, everybody would flip their shit and go bananas about how they're driving the games industry into the ground.

....Has anyone even had time to complain about this stuff? Dudes fast on the turnaround in acknowledging he could have done it better, which does lend to the impression he's legitimately sorry about it.

So can someone explain to me why an independent developer can do this but a major player cannot?

Micah Weil:
So can someone explain to me why an independent developer can do this but a major player cannot?

For once, the game isn't broken - he just wasn't fully satisfied with the release.
Second, he stated that after about one day, not one week or one month.
So I think everyone could get away that way.

Tomorrow's headline: "Scott Cawthon To Release Six Free DLC Packs In Apologies For Early Release - All Available Later This Afternoon"

Areloch:
....Has anyone even had time to complain about this stuff? Dudes fast on the turnaround in acknowledging he could have done it better, which does lend to the impression he's legitimately sorry about it.

Actually early word from youtubers and reviewers is that the game is.......pretty terrible. :P

Don't know if their complaints have anything to do with it being rushed by Scott's perspective, though he does say there's features that were intended that didn't make it into the final game, so it might have something to do with why people are currently crapping all over it.

chocolate pickles:
And if a triple A studio did this, everybody would flip their shit and go bananas about how they're driving the games industry into the ground.

Micah Weil:

I'm not seeing any evidence of such a double-standard. Does anyone have evidence of this?

That statement right there, made him a better person than most of the AAA industry combined.
THAT is how you treat your customers and fans, not by toeing the line with vague statements and certainly not by chiding gamers or calling them entitled.

aegix drakan:
A developer going "My bad, I released it too soon and I'll fix it, I'm so sorry"?!

Well, it's not like he can fire himself right? He's a one man operation.

Just watched Jim Sterlings video and by god that looks bad.
I mean I didn't play the Fnaf games anyway, since I am not a horror fan, but all of them looked well made, their mechanics worked well and, at least from what I saw on the Internet, they contained a lot of hints towards a greater intruiging backstory. I didn't like them myself, but it was clearly evident why others did and they seemed very well made.
This is just bad. Practically no rpg-mechanics, pathetic fighting system, ugly graphics, generic looking menus and buttons. It just all looks cheap and not good. I mean good for Scott to admit he did it wrong, but I honestly don't see this turning into a good game, not matter how much longer he spends working on it..

Areloch:

I've checked out the steam store page for FNAF World and while it's got over-all positive reviews, the first several are all negative and most of them mention the lack of details when it comes to what attacks do and stats and whatnot.

---

Like everybody else seems to have said, it's something of an oddity that Scott is willing to own up to a mistake rather than release the fix as a post-launch patch or DLC. I was going to wait until this game went on sale before I got my copy but it looks like I have a bit more of a reason to continue waiting. Although the Squirty-Play I saw of it did reinforce my hype for this release...I loves me some RPGs...

Areloch:

Well I was reading the reviews on steam and its mostly positive. Those who don't like seem to be the types who didn't like FNaF in the first place, with less than an hour on record for this game. I'm guessing they just want to post negative reviews.

But the positive ones seem perfectly happy with the game. Very little in the way of bugs seem to be reported.

Silentpony:
Those who don't like seem to be the types who didn't like FNaF in the first place, with less than an hour on record for this game. I'm guessing they just want to post negative reviews.

Which means that they actually paid money to buy the game just so they could trash-talk it on Steam. Which is hilarious.

The Rogue Wolf:

Silentpony:
Those who don't like seem to be the types who didn't like FNaF in the first place, with less than an hour on record for this game. I'm guessing they just want to post negative reviews.

Which means that they actually paid money to buy the game just so they could trash-talk it on Steam. Which is hilarious.

Some of them even say they have never liked FNaF and don't get the appeal of any of it. Yet they still bought the game, played a little bit, reviewed it and presumably refunded it.

aegix drakan:

I may be overlooking potential sarcasm here but I'd say it isn't exactly rare given all the screw ups we've seen this past year alone. The developer actually doing something about it is the rare part.

"Features such as being able to see what abilities do during battle, or being able to see a stats page for your characters."

Yeah I hear those are kind of important bro. xD

I love this guy. I really do. Cawthorn comes off as such a nice person, and even though I'm not a FNAF fan myself a success story like his can't help but be inspirational, but my stars! He is a prime example of somebody who needs to be working with a team to keep him under control, because he quite clearly operates on a creative level than is not quite in this dimension.

The Enquirer:

aegix drakan:

I may be overlooking potential sarcasm here but I'd say it isn't exactly rare given all the screw ups we've seen this past year alone. The developer actually doing something about it is the rare part.

Responding quickly with a degree of humility and contrition is worth taking note of and respecting in any case.
Traditionally it seems you're meant to bury your head while quietly hoping it'll all go away or start work on throwing a twitter shitfit.

I'm not a fan of the FNAF series in the slightest, but the dev seems like a decent guy.

The Enquirer:

aegix drakan:

I dunno, as someone pointed out, many developers are either slow or indirectly suggest that it's really the consumer's fault.

Though I'll agree that a lot of developers seem to have real issues actually fixing the problems. Anyone can get down on their knees and apologize and then take their sweet damn time actually achieving anything. We'll have to see if Scott doesn't join those ranks...

Given how fast-paced the combat was, I'd assumed (from watching Jim's video) that the game was intentionally streamlined and stripped of menus. On another note, the lore of the FNAF games, which I never got into personally, can translate pretty well into an RPG format. Not so sure about the audience. I'd be interested to see if there are any other changes based on the brief feedback Scott received besides menus.

chocolate pickles:

A triple A studio admitting they did something wrong... HA! I see your joke there.... Good one.

Even though I never played a FNAF game, it's refreshing to hear honesty from a developer these days. Scott is a pretty awesome fellow.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here