If Zebras' Stripes Aren't For Camouflage, What Are They For?

Pages PREV 1 2

The White Hunter:

Dragonbums:

The White Hunter:

Can Hyena's see in colour? Cuz they don't seem to have problems murder zebras for food.

Hyena's also have the benefit of having some monstrously strong jaws to boot. I'm not saying it's 100% failsafe (since Lions have successfully hunted and killed Zebras.)

But comparing our feline friends to hyenas are a bit unfair. The little laughers are somewhere around 70% successful in all their hunts while Lions are a poor 30%. So failure to catch zebras are the least of their worries.

Hyenas kill the most shit on the African continent, they're by far the most successful chase predator, Lions tend to scavenge their kills a lot. They have also been recorded having actually killed a Hippo, which is fucking scary tbh.

It's possible for them to kill hippos if they manage to get one alone by itself on the land. But otherwise it seems that their relatively thick hides and preferences to being near water (which means quick getaway.) usually make them way too much the effort to even bother most of the time. Plus one nasty bite from it's jaws and it's game over.
At least that's what I think of it when I see any lions interacting with hippos on documentaries. It's usually just one or two lionesses getting a half assed bite in here and there and then they just fuck off.

Dragonbums:

The White Hunter:

Dragonbums:

Hyena's also have the benefit of having some monstrously strong jaws to boot. I'm not saying it's 100% failsafe (since Lions have successfully hunted and killed Zebras.)

But comparing our feline friends to hyenas are a bit unfair. The little laughers are somewhere around 70% successful in all their hunts while Lions are a poor 30%. So failure to catch zebras are the least of their worries.

Hyenas kill the most shit on the African continent, they're by far the most successful chase predator, Lions tend to scavenge their kills a lot. They have also been recorded having actually killed a Hippo, which is fucking scary tbh.

It's possible for them to kill hippos if they manage to get one alone by itself on the land. But otherwise it seems that their relatively thick hides and preferences to being near water (which means quick getaway.) usually make them way too much the effort to even bother most of the time. Plus one nasty bite from it's jaws and it's game over.
At least that's what I think of it when I see any lions interacting with hippos on documentaries. It's usually just one or two lionesses getting a half assed bite in here and there and then they just fuck off.

It's one recorded incident in a national park involving a lone Hippo and 4 Hyenas. It's not a common occurence by any means but I found it impressive, give Hippos are monstrous things.

There's some stuff floating around about their camoflauge being adapted to confuse and deter tsetse flies; key vectors of sleeping sickness in both humans and many grazing animals.

Zacharious-khan:
Wait... is it not so we can scan them and find out how much they cost?

If I could give you rep for this, I would.

Personally, I'd say that they just enjoy looking FABULOUS!

"In World War 1, for example, warships were painted with strange, confusing designs, that made them seem as if they were moving in different directions than they actually were, frustrating torpedo operators.

Possibly, zebras' stripes fulfil the same function - when they run, a predator's eyes have a hard time tracking them. No one can say for sure just yet."

Gonna geek out just slightly here and mention that the stripes on ships was not just to obfuscate direction, which is easily sussed out by an observant captain, but to make it more difficult to find the water line in a periscope which was one of the primary ways that you used to verify distance to target. Even a small deviation would be enough to throw off a torpedo calculation.

As for the rest, I thought this was understood about the stripes for a while now. Adding further to the mix is when you have the animals herding together they can be hard to tell apart with the striping and since zebras are herd animals whose primary safety is sticking to the pack that can make the difference.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.