EA is "on a Journey" to Regain PC Gamer Trust

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

EA is "on a Journey" to Regain PC Gamer Trust

origin takes jab at steam

EA wants to get back the trust it lost to PC gamers with stuff like Battlefield 4 and SimCity.

The relationship between EA games and PC gamers has been turbulent at best, but EA is keen to try and patch things up. Senior marketing director Peter O'Reilly claims that the company is "on a journey to regain the trust of the PC gamer."

When EA's Origin first launched for the PC, a lot of gamers saw it as EA simply "taking hostage" titles like Mass Effect and Dragon Age - pulling them from Steam and forcing gamers to download its inferior platform. Then, there were debacles such as Battlefield 4 and SimCity - games that were practically broken on launch and took months to finally be fixed.

"Over the last couple of years we have focused on ensuring a great play experience from launch and bringing players a better experience on Origin with programs like the Great Game Guarantee, On the House, and now Origin Access. We're excited about the progress we've made, but are always pushing ourselves to innovate on behalf of players," wrote O'Reilly.

In EA's defense, the Great Game Guarantee, which guarantees a "no-questions-asked" refund on any Origin game within 24 hours was a fantastic step in the right direction, and actually forced Steam to adopt a similar policy. The other advancements in Origin have been numerous and consumer-focused.

That said, a lot of gamers still understandably harbor ill-will to EA, which was once voted the worst company in America.

Source: MCVUK

I heard that before. Literally. So yeah, I still refuse to buy EA games.

So, how long have they been on this journey? Three years now?

Who knows, maybe they are being honest this time. Maybe we'll also crack cold fusion this year and get a working Mars program. Not outside the realm of possibility, just incredibly unlikely.

They announce this sort of crap every few months. I don't know why they feel the need to keep pretending. At this point, they're such a low hanging fruit for angry threads and internet scorn, I kind of wish they'd just shut up all together and own it.

It worked for Activision. Bobby Kotick stopped saying stupid shit ages ago and everyone just stopped caring.

Also I will say this: for all the crap Origin copped on launch, It's actually turned out to be a superior platform to steam in a number of ways.

Rather than telling us you're going to do something just do it. Saying you're going to do something are just empty words until you follow through (and with your track record, following through rarely happens).

Also, why the shit does Origin crash every time after I exit a game? Just because you briefly lose the network connection doesn't mean your program should be crashing and bogging down my computer. Fix this!

The only thing I hate about Origin right now is the pricing in the Euro zone. Base prices fall a lot faster in the US.
EA are far from being the worst, but we PC gamers don't forget easily. I do wonder how we let Activision, Ubisoft and Square-Enix get away with some of the stuff they do.

Words are words. If you plan to do something, do it. What are you, an aspiring artist?

Well, I do appreciate that they want to do it. Whether they'll commit to it is another matter entirely.

And as the article points out, they DID initiate no-questions-asked refunds, which they should have major kudos for.

They want to regain my trust? Well, they can start by putting their games on Steam and not making Origin a requirement.
And then do a remake or sequel to Future Cop L.A.P.D.
I'll start trusting them slightly after that.

Bedinsis:
Well, I do appreciate that they want to do it. Whether they'll commit to it is another matter entirely.

And as the article points out, they DID initiate no-questions-asked refunds, which they should have major kudos for.

Just because you beat someone within an inch of their life and wheelchair bound for the rest of their lives and then give them 1 million USD each month after that, doesn't make it ok.

Dear EA, don't fuck up Mirror's Edge 2 and I will love you just a little bit for at least a year.

Bedinsis:

Considering the EU has laws dealing with refunds, I'd bet thats the real reason for it. Plus some good PR when the company reputation is in the toilet was a good bonus no doubt.

How to win back PC gamers in 3 easy stems.

Step 1: start releasing games on Steam again
Step 2: don't go Uplay on us and force us to use Origin on top of Steam if that happens
Step 3: make said new games be good

As simple as this is, I have a feeling EA's response will be this:

Yeah yeah EA. If you want to really regain trust then get walking, because you've laid out a long and hard path for yourself.

MiskWisk:
So, how long have they been on this journey? Three years now?

More like eight. The first time I remember hearing phrases like this was in the wake of Spore and it's DRM scandal.

The again after Project Sucky Sucky Ten Dollar, then again after Origin, Dead Space 3, the BF4 launch, Dungeon Keeper, usually a couple of months after they shutter a major studio. It's like listening to a politician, you just ignore whenever they say they'll be nicer and try to read between the lines.

"Stuff like Battlefield and SimCity"?

Not to be a douche, but that just irked me for some reason.

I actually kinda like EA putting out broken games. I get to buy them two years later for dirt cheap with lots of free stuff that were made as incentives and apologies. See Battlefield 4, the game has a huge amount of progress as well as free content.

Yes, and the Titanic was on a Journey to reach New York.

Then again the Titanic actually launched and was going fine until the iceberg.

This is typical EA. It will take a lot more than empty words to get back my business.

Edit*: Can I just ask, why is this a news story? What here is news or a story? There is no announcement of anything they are planning on doing. No offense but, It just sounds like a puff piece to promote EA and remind us of (sarcasm) all the awesome things they have done for us (/sarcasm)

Zontar:
How to win back PC gamers in 3 easy stems.

Step 1: start releasing games on Steam again
Step 2: don't go Uplay on us and force us to use Origin on top of Steam if that happens
Step 3: make said new games be good

As simple as this is, I have a feeling EA's response will be this:

Seeing EA and their works, I would say they image will more likely be "instructions unclear. Forced Uplay on top of Steam on top of Origin."

OT:
Yeah EA, good for you. This is the first time you said something like this. I will believe you and buy everything on Origin now.

Oh wow, this is only the tenth time I heard them say that. Right before doing something shitty. Words are worthless, EA, especially yours.

The kind of journey where EA dies of dysentery?

I support this.

Same song and dance I've seen earlier.
EA killed Westwood and turned Bioware into basement gimps
EA gleefully and smugly jumped on "PC is dead" bandwagon and treated PC gamers as thieves
And now after all of this they think that with a smile and pat on the back all will be forgiven?
Well, think again!

Doom972:
EA are far from being the worst, but we PC gamers don't forget easily. I do wonder how we let Activision, Ubisoft and Square-Enix get away with some of the stuff they do.

You forgot Warner Brothers, the worst of the bunch.

Katherine Kerensky:
Do a remake or sequel to Future Cop L.A.P.D.

It would be this all over again.

Sorry guys but Origin is here to stay and I think we all know it too. Of course Origin exclusivity is essentially akin to shooting themselves in the foot and while Origin is not as bad as Uplay at least people can choose to buy on Steam if they wish. Of course I'm sure you'll need Origin for DRM purposes with EA games but same would go for Ubisoft with Uplay as well as Valve with Steam.

Let's not forget that game development rules need to be looked at; Mass Effect 3 and DA:2 both felt rushed in many regards (seriously, don't fuck with Bioware's ability to make good games), please don't let anything like Simcity or C&C4: Tiberian Twilight ever happen again and for the love of all that is sanity, put Visceral back to work on games they're good at (e.g. Dead Space). They should not be making Battlefield sequels.

How about make quality games that don't nickle and dime your consumer base? If EA were to do a complete 180 and start down this path they'd start seeing a lot more support. Of course, they're not going to do that though.

I barely touch Origin. I loaded it up two nights ago to see if they had anything new. Not a thing, most pages are just filled with DLC. They also added a subscription thing. For 5 dollars a month, you get access to all their games. Seems a nice idea in theory but I'm just not interested in their platform.

How about getting rid of Bioware points and discount those ME2 and ME3 DLC for PC - 'bout frakking time.

That would be a nice start.

Katherine Kerensky:
They want to regain my trust? Well, they can start by putting their games on Steam and not making Origin a requirement.

Soooo much this. I was really excited for bf3 then it being stuck with origin and using a web browser as its menu system just killed it for me so I ended up not getting it. I'd have a bunch more ea games if it wasn't for origin.

Well considering they're responsible for the death of several PC-centric developers such as:
*Origin Systems
*Maxis
*Westwood Studios TT~TT
*Bullfrog Productions
*Bioware (not quite finished, but it's almost there)
Then I think it's only fair that they even things out by offing themselves.

Yes, I am very bitter about EA.

Steven Bogos:
consumer-focuesed

Focuesed -> focused.

OT:

Actions, please. I feel like I've read all this time and time again.

I'll just say that I only use GOG on top of Steam because it's a choice and provides quality.

Also, as this fellow said:

BloodRed Pixel:
How about getting rid of Bioware points and discount those ME2 and ME3 DLC for PC - 'bout frakking time.

That would be a nice start.

Off-topic:

I'll use GOG even more when they start satisfying my desire for achievements.

Pfffffffffffff. Good luck with that, O'Reilly.

im very much looking forward to play mirrors edge catalyst. this will proof to me how much they care for pc gamers. so far i still have no complaints about origin. when i asked for a refund for AC unity, i got my entire money back without any questions asked. so this certainly gets a huge plus from me. but yes, BF4 was indeed a mess and took a year for me until the game was playable.
i rather stay optimistic about it.

Steven Bogos:

In EA's defense, the Great Game Guarantee, which guarantees a "no-questions-asked" refund on any Origin game within 24 hours was a fantastic step in the right direction, and actually forced Steam to adopt a similar policy.

Weren't there laws against not offering a return policy in the first place? Or at least wheels in motion towards making some to that effect? If so it still is a positive step for their customers, sure. But to ascribe it solely to the good of EA's metaphorical heart would be beyond my capacity for optimism I fear. Ditto for believing EA's return policy to be anything more than but one factor in Valve's decision. Heck, hasn't Good old Games had one for about as long as Origin?

Yeah, I can bet it seems like they're "on a journey" when they're snorting so much crack cocaine inside of their own assholes, Keith Richards says it's not healthy.

But whatever, EA. You keep right on a-journeying and we'll keep right on a-copy pasting the words you speak right next to the actions you make.

Katherine Kerensky:

Or better yet, avoid Steam and other DRM entirely and sell their stuff on GoG

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or