Almost Twice as Many PS4s Have Been Sold Than Xbox Ones

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Almost Twice as Many PS4s Have Been Sold Than Xbox Ones

PS4 Xbox One

EA says that lifetime sales of the Xbox One and PS4 have hit 55 million, which, minus Sony's 36 million, leaves Microsoft with just 18 million.

While Sony is eager to boast about how many PS4s it has sold, Microsoft has been a tad more quiet - a move people were attributing to the possibility that the Xbox One isn't selling quite as well as the company had hoped. Well, if these numbers from EA are to believed, it looks like Microsoft has had every reason to not reveal its figures.

During an earnings call, EA CFO Blake Jorgensen let slip that lifetime sales for both the Xbox One and PS4 combined are estimated at 55 million. If you minus Sony's reported 36 million sales, it leaves Microsoft with just 18 million - a little more than half of what Sony has shipped.

"I think our business seems to be operating pretty consistent as it has been over the last couple of years," said Jorgensen. "The console purchases are up through the end of calendar year '15. Our estimate is 55 million units out there which has exceeded virtually everyone's forecast for the year and now almost 50 percent higher than previous console cycle so, all of that is very, very positive."

While Sony's lead is quite signifigant, Jorgensen says that both consoles are actually out-performing their predecessors when you look at the sales at the same point in their life-cycles. So much for the whole console gaming is dying doom-and-gloom...

So the bottom line is that while Sony is very clearly winning this war, console gaming is still in a very good place.

Source: Ars Technica

Sony Has Sold Almost Twice as Many PS4s Than Xbox Ones

I never imagined otherwise, considering Sony doesn't sell Xbox One.

freaper:

Damn, beat me to it! But yea, I could've predicted this back at the beginning of this console cycle, what with MS so determined to keep the kinect bundled in. But with such similar hardware and almost entirely stock PC parts, easing compatibility issues that plagued the PS3, nobody's really coming out a loser this gen.

Remus:

freaper:

Damn, beat me to it! But yea, I could've predicted this back at the beginning of this console cycle, what with MS so determined to keep the kinect bundled in. But with such similar hardware and almost entirely stock PC parts, easing compatibility issues that plagued the PS3, nobody's really coming out a loser this gen.

Was my first thought upon reading the title as well :P

And yeah, not too surprised it's doing well considering it (in my opinion) has a whole lot more interesting exclusives than xbone.

Maybe this is a dumb question but how would EA know that? I'm sure they could estimate based on their multiplatform games and how they sell but I can't imagine that could be concrete proof. Am I missing something?

That title.

Okay, looks like I'm unoriginal. Anyway, I'm not surprised by this at all. Sony had basically won this generation by not trying to fuck over consumers (unlike Microsoft) so now they get to coast on the wave of momentum that the initial goodwill created for another couple years.

freaper:

But... 0x2=0...

so they've sold no PS4s... what's this thing next to me then?

RejjeN:

Remus:

freaper:

Was my first thought upon reading the title as well :P

And mine. Also, is it just me or is the word "than" grammatically wrong in that headline, even it it had been meant to say that Sony sold half as many Xbones as they sold PS4s??

Morti:

freaper:

But... 0x2=0...

so they've sold no PS4s... what's this thing next to me then?

It's two ps2's taped together obviously

Seriously though is anyone surprised by this? Microsoft stumbled out of the gate this gen while Sony hit the ground running

Which is excellent, since Sony is enjoying some well earned success, but Microsoft is still offering enough competition to keep them in line.

Wait, so sales are proportionate to the console power ratio this generation? Interesting.

Steven Bogos:
While Sony's lead is quite signifigant, Jorgensen says that both consoles are actually out-performing their predecessors when you look at the sales at the same point in their life-cycles. So much for the whole console gaming is dying doom-and-gloom...

At the rate these console games are steadily declining in quality and content and utter lack of split-screen, I kinda wish it WAS dying. Seriously, besides split-screen, what can consoles do well that PC's can't? The only thing consoles offer these days is no hardware requirements for games. But some games these days are so badly built, they run WORSE on consoles than on PC.

And this is coming from an Xbox 360 lover, so yeah.

Arnoxthe1:

Steven Bogos:

At the rate these console games are steadily declining in quality and content and utter lack of split-screen, I kinda wish it WAS dying. Seriously, besides split-screen, what can consoles do well that PC's can't? The only thing consoles offer these days is no hardware requirements for games. But some games these days are so badly built, they run WORSE on consoles than on PC.

And this is coming from an Xbox 360 lover, so yeah.

And the PC ports are always good? Ubisoft and WB games are even less optimized on PC to the point they are borderline unplayable (Arkham Knight...)

What is exciting consumers so much about the PS4 anyways? Its 3D parallelogram shape? Word of mouth? It certainly isn't the few-and-far-between exclusives.

Xman490:
What is exciting consumers so much about the PS4 anyways? Its 3D parallelogram shape? Word of mouth? It certainly isn't the few-and-far-between exclusives.

My guess is lower entry price, enough cross-platform games and exclusives combined, with being available in more regions, less of the always-on/no pre-owned fuckery, not including a peripheral that's a creepy hybrid of HAL9000 and a 1984 Camera, and not having so many features walled behind the borders of the United States.

This is not to say they can't have them, but I seem to recall Microsoft making a big deal about them and a solid part of their audience in both Europe, parts of Asia and Australia collectively going "Yeah, so fucking what?".

Orga777:

And the PC ports are always good? Ubisoft and WB games are even less optimized on PC to the point they are borderline unplayable (Arkham Knight...)

Arkham Knight plays great now, just unfortunate it's not a good game... How are the drops to 18 frames per second in Just Cause 3? 15 minute load times in Fallout 4 improve yet? Maybe the drops to 0 frames fixed? Last I heard the console fix for 15 minute load times from Bethesda was "Get an SSD."

Xman490:

It's more accessible then a PC, it's more powerful then a WiiU, and it's not an Xbone. It didn't need to reinvent the wheel to dominate the market. It just needed to be less then $500. Microsoft and Nintendo just handed it to them this generation.

Bloodborne and Persona 5 didn't hurt in my case, though.

Xman490:

The majority of people just want a box to play fifa and the likes and are just picking the one that costs less.

Xman490:

PS4 exclusives: 23
31 upcoming with a 2016-2017 release date.

Xbox One exclusives: 14
5 upcoming with a 2016-2017 release date.

Wii-U has them both beat but has a lot of shovelware exclusives as a result of Nintendo's 3rd party practices.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_exclusives_(eighth_generation)

Both Sony and Nintendo have focused on producing games this generation while Xbox focused on watching TV on a gaming console. This is why Xbox is trailing behind.

Please stop all references to 'console wars'. It really angers me. There is no war, we are not ravenous fanboys who attack people who are fanboys of opposing consoles. The only console war was Nintendo vs Sega.

Any article that refers to this 'console war' just makes me believe that the person who wrote the article, has little integrity and is just using buzzwords. Hell, Sony and Microsoft have been congratulating each other on their latest launches.

Honestly, I do not care that the PS4 has been outselling the Xbox One. It doesn't matter to me at the end of the day. I am fully aware that this comment might get deleted or reports to the moderators, but I have alot of respect for this site, but I just really hate references to a war that doesn't exist

Well, that's about as expected. Sony was selling a gaming system, Microsoft was selling a home media system that at launch insisted on phoning home daily to keep your rights to use it. Along with a lot of other consumer unfriendly shit they insisted was utterly necessary but somehow managed to do without when they kept getting shit on for it.

There is a lesson here but as I saw in the EA suck up thread yesterday, Microsoft will likely respond to it with "Message not understood, got stuck in washing machine."

I have a PS4, and while i have enjoyed my time with it, I think I have seen the light of Gaben. And by that I mean I am sick and tired of Sony's shit. First it took me 3 months just to get a replacement $50 PSN card because some people are apparently quite skilled at guessing shit (or Sony is crap at making redeemable cards, I dont know which possibility is worse, its 2016 people), they automatically renewed my unwanted PS+ (which is complete bullshit by the way, online play is still inferior to the Xbone and the free games are all indie games that honestly no one give a crap about) without asking me, and now me and my friend both have problems with our PS4's disk slot.

THE GODDAMN DISK SLOT.

Its a fucking console for God's sake! How the hell do you screw that up!?

When I go to college, I am getting a laptop to play games with (and have normal laptop work). Anything to get away from subscription-required multiplayer and crappy customer service.

Strelok:

Orga777:

Arkham Knight plays great now, just unfortunate it's not a good game... How are the drops to 18 frames per second in Just Cause 3? 15 minute load times in Fallout 4 improve yet? Maybe the drops to 0 frames fixed? Last I heard the console fix for 15 minute load times from Bethesda was "Get an SSD."

Hahahaha. Nearly pissed myself laughing about that ssd bit. Thank you good sir. You just made my day.

OT: and not a single fuck was given (by me). Owned a console once. Hated it. Gf bought a ps3. Hated it. I started as a pc gamer and I guess once you go pc u never go back. Not to say pc's are better by definition but I like the costumization and added functionality of a pc over console. There is not a single thing that a console can do that a pc can't. Other way around... Not so much. So yea... Not a single fuck given.

Ps/disclaimer: Im not turning this in a pc vs console thread. Both have their merits. If I could I would have just thanked the good sir. Did not want to get a low content warning so I added my opinion.

tippy2k2:
Maybe this is a dumb question but how would EA know that? I'm sure they could estimate based on their multiplatform games and how they sell but I can't imagine that could be concrete proof. Am I missing something?

Publishers pay a licensing fee to Sony/Nintendo/MS/Maybe whoever else to put a game on their system. I'm guessing the number of systems you've sold comes up in the agreements as to how much the license is. It probably also comes up when they're trying to secure exclusive.

Potentially it might also relate to how many copies they press in a run for each system (after all, there's no point in EA paying to make 30 million Xbone discs if there's only 18 million Xbones), though I think that would be more on a retailer's end.

Bob_McMillan:
and now me and my friend both have problems with our PS4's disk slot.

What would these problems with your disc slot be? Maybe this link can be of help;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUDx9TOT8VU

Guys, I'm not even a native speaker and I can still see that even after editing it, the title of this article is still grammatically wrong. Please try...

OT: Was really to be expected. At launch the PS4 was already clearly going in a better direction than the Xbox.

bluegate:

Bob_McMillan:
and now me and my friend both have problems with our PS4's disk slot.

What would these problems with your disc slot be? Maybe this link can be of help;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUDx9TOT8VU

Thanks for the link. I will try it out, but from what I hear, the solutions arent permanent.

Zenja:

Both Sony and Nintendo have focused on producing games this generation while Xbox focused on watching TV on a gaming console. This is why Xbox is trailing behind.

True and that hurt the XB1, which consistently has lesser video quality to the PS4 on cross platform games. But overall sales of both consoles are doing well.

And while we can tear our hair out about the Wii U and the Vita, plenty of games came out for them to the point that I'll never fully play them all. Maybe somewhere out there is people that can speed run this stuff and are asking, "where the heck are the next games?" but that isn't me.

Meh we will see in a year how things are going. Last gen it was Sony who was behind and busted their asses to make a huge comeback while MS rested on their laurels. This gen MS is really trying to please their customers while Sony is swimming in their money bin. They just need to get rid of that stupid parity clause and hope people eventually forgive and forget the pre launch clusterfuck

Microsoft isn't taking it too well either, they keep paying for timed exclusive deals on multiple popular titles. Stop hogging Elite:Dangerous and Ark survival evolved! Just be a good sport, ole chap...if you love something, set it free! Don't hold it behind your money for as long as is legally allowed, you fucks! *Ahem* Not bitter or impatient at all. But with Elite's confirmed PS4 release date of *(pending on MS's blessing)*...it is a touch frustrating..

Xman490:

It's cheaper, it's also objectively superior when it comes to multi platforms.

Call of Duty, FiFA, Madden, that's what half the gaming world cares about and little else, all of these game have identical content on each platform, but they look better on the PS4. It's not at all like last gen where some games ran better on one or the other, the PS4 and Xbone are almost identical inside, except the PS4 has faster versions of the same chips and better suited RAM.

As with last gen Microsoft cheaped out on the hardware, not quite as catastrophically as they did with the 360 but they still cheaped out.

Zenja:

Xman490:

PS4 exclusives: 23
31 upcoming with a 2016-2017 release date.

Xbox One exclusives: 14
5 upcoming with a 2016-2017 release date.

Wii-U has them both beat but has a lot of shovelware exclusives as a result of Nintendo's 3rd party practices.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_exclusives_(eighth_generation)

LIES! Xbox has 84,729,103 exclusives! You are a Sony Fanboi! Xbox is the bestest consold evar! Check your statistix.
You don't no nuffin. Yor a lier! Y do U make up lies!? Evry1 nos that Xbox is the best fing ever!

[in before reality deniers]

The only thing I regret about buying my ps4 is buying it right before (like a month) the prices dropped by $100 (grrr).

It seems to be the clear best choice if your only going to get 1 of the newest gen consoles. I still have not picked up a Wii U, and may never do so (Especially if the next nintendo console has backwards compatability). Even after all this time there is only a handful of games I would want to play on the Wii U, and it's not worth getting a system for them.

Xbox One does have a few games I would like to play (sunset overdrive for one), but again it's not worth the price for a couple of games I can't play on my ps4. Meanwhile the ps4 was the cheapest (even when it hadn't dropped in price) and can play all the multi-platform games (that are not on my pc as well), and had bloodborne.

Total no brainer for me, and there are a ton more ps4 exclusives coming out soon, including rpgs and platform games (my favorite genres).

The ps3 easily won the contest for last gen consoles for me (I have them all), with the WII actually beating out the xbox360 by a small margin. The ps2 of course may be the greatest collection of games of all time and easily won that generation, and while nintendo gave the playstation a run for it's money, I'd still say the original playstation won as well. So it's been a pretty clean sweep for sony in my opinion, and that also leads people to feel safe in buying their system. Doesn't hurt it's cheaper though.

No surprise there, it's been outselling the competition 2 to 1 for about a year now.

Xman490:

It's basically due to the PS4 being more powerful and cheaper than the Xbox One. Microsoft dropped the ball by adding a stupid peripheral that no-one wanted that raised the price of the Xbox One by $100. I think they later decided to sell the XBox One without the Kinect, but by then people were buying the PS4 so they could play with their friends who had bought the PS4 earlier.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here