Deadpool Will Get A "Raw" Director's Cut, Despite R-Rating

Deadpool Will Get A "Raw" Director's Cut, Despite R-Rating

Deadpool may be R rated, but apparently its most intense scenes were left on the cutting room floor.

Deadpool is already a unique superhero film just for embracing an R rating, as its latest trailer proved. Here's the thing: Despite all those gory decapitations and lewd language, worse scenes were cut from the finished film. But they won't stay away for long. Deadpool will eventually get a director's cut with everything Fox thought was too intense for theaters, even within an R-rated movie.

The information was confirmed by TJ Miller, who plays as Weasel in the finished movie. "It's the idea that, when you see the full director's cut of [Deadpool], that's going to be even more raw," Miller explained. "That's pretty heavy duty."

So how bad are these scenes, exactly? No idea, but the theatrical release is reportedly banned in China for its violence, nudity, and graphic language. Now consider that Deadpool is 1 hour and 46 minutes long - one of the shortest comic book movies ever produced. This means either Deadpool's writers are incredibly efficient storytellers, or a ton of content was dropped from the film.

Either way, Deadpool is looking to a hilariously violent and raunchy film, whatever the edition. The theatrical cut will be available on Feb. 12, 2016.

Source: Comic Book Resources

I am stupid excited for this. I shall of course be going on opening night and this might end up being the first Blu-Ray I have bought in quite a long time with this news being released...

I don't think 1hr 46min is anything to balk at. It is right around the right length. Movies are getting too long, I remember back in my day when you paid a nickel, you got popcorn a drink the news several shorts and the main feature which was only 5 minutes

So in another word, the Blur Ray will be jammed pack with the uncut stuffs!

I'm beyond excited for this movie.

Hopefully the stuff they cut didn't diminish the final cut too much, but still, that means more Deadpool in the Director's Cut! :D

Shit... It's too bad you "can't" release the Director's Cut in theaters... I think it's because you can only do one or two showings a night or something...

Other than that, more pending Blu-Ray hype for me, then! *pelvic thrust*

As long as the unrated Director's Cut actually adds something, I will be happy. I've seen way too many "unrated" movies where I couldn't tell if anything was actually added.

Otherwise, I know plenty of people who will want to see this film. It'll probably be a group movie night.

Deadpool needs to succeed; Hollywood can't be scared of R rated super hero movies. The fact that fucking Suicide Squad is going to have a PG-13 rating is all kinds of bullshit.

Its time for the "PG-13 or flop" mind set to go away.

i wonder if the same version will be released all around the world. i know australia isnt that crazy with crazy violence movies.

I'm a "child of gore", never have read Dead Pool or played the game. But one reason I've never seen any Marvel movies afaik, it was because it felt extraordinarily stupid that these people barely shed any blood by accident.

Yeah, I'm talking "realism" in a Super Heroes theme.

Metalrocks:
i wonder if the same version will be released all around the world. i know australia isnt that crazy with crazy violence movies.

dont forget germany.

Director's Cut huh? I wonder if this will be closer to Kingdom of Heaven where a mediocre movie turns gold overnight after the Director's Cut is released or more like The Lord of the Rings trilogy where a good movie becomes even better (albeit waaaaaaaay longer) when they reintroduce the stuff left on the cutting room floor?

Metalrocks:

And yet you come up with this...

... which later spawned this.

Please don't ever make sense Down Bellow.

I am getting less and less excited for this movie because of stuff like this tbh.
Not that I mind violence or sexual humor (and my ideal Deadpool movie would have plenty of both) but it's not why I like Deadpool and stuff like this is just making me wonder how GOOD the humor or violence is.

Sexual humor especially is really easy to fuck up if you assume just putting sex in or trying to be shocking is enough.

There is some dark stuff in the Deadpool comics I really enjoy from a story telling POV, like his twisted relationship with Blind Al, but the way it was told didn't go over the top gore and was effective nevertheless.

I dunno, I guess I feel like I like Ddeadpool for totally different reasons than most of the fans?

Brian Tams:
Deadpool needs to succeed; Hollywood can't be scared of R rated super hero movies. The fact that fucking Suicide Squad is going to have a PG-13 rating is all kinds of bullshit.

I'd just like more super hero movies that aren't "Super Hero" movies. Ant Man was great because at its heart it was a heist movie, but with all the benefits of having a big dumb action sequence at the end between men in spandex. Where's my courtroom legal dramas with Daredevil and She-Hulk? What about a pulpy neo-noir detective thriller featuring a z-tier hero light on superpowers (or y'know another Constantine movie)? A "The Wolf on Wallstreet"-inspired black comedy featuring an opportunistic Tony Stark and idealistic Bruce Banner and their new startup company? How about a mob crime film with street-level villains where Batman is just a background threat? A dry English comedy featuring Union Jack attending his father's funeral with his extended family where Peter Dinklage shows up out of the blue and blackmails him over scandalous information about his dad? A boxing match between the Thing and the Hulk? Or a comedy where the Punisher gets saddled with his sister's kids for a week and he has to juggle taking care of them AND delivering street justice at the same time? A feel-good sports movie with Thor coaching a ragtag college/high school football team to pull together and win the big game against their rivals?

Why go see the movie in theaters, then?

If the real movie, with all the juicy content, is reserved for the Blu-Ray release, you'd only spoil yourself on the censored version, thus not getting the full experience.

Gottesstrafe:

Brian Tams:

I'd just like more super hero movies that aren't "Super Hero" movies. Ant Man was great because at its heart it was a heist movie, but with all the benefits of having a big dumb action sequence at the end between men in spandex. Where's my courtroom legal dramas with Daredevil and She-Hulk? What about a pulpy neo-noir detective thriller featuring a z-tier hero light on superpowers (or y'know another Constantine movie)? A "The Wolf on Wallstreet"-inspired black comedy featuring an opportunistic Tony Stark and idealistic Bruce Banner and their new startup company? How about a mob crime film with street-level villains where Batman is just a background threat? A dry English comedy featuring Union Jack attending his father's funeral with his extended family where Peter Dinklage shows up out of the blue and blackmails him over scandalous information about his dad? A boxing match between the Thing and the Hulk? Or a comedy where the Punisher gets saddled with his sister's kids for a week and he has to juggle taking care of them AND delivering street justice at the same time? A feel-good sports movie with Thor coaching a ragtag college/high school football team to pull together and win the big game against their rivals?

Or a Horror/Thriller Vision movie where Vision makes his own family and they integrate with human society
there already a comic of it.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/prev_img.php?pid=29961&pg=4

the first superhero movie since the avengers where im actually excited to see it

Gottesstrafe:

Brian Tams:

What about a pulpy neo-noir detective thriller featuring a z-tier hero light on superpowers?

Just a netflix click away. I hope this movie doesn't disappoint like PP&Z did.

This is looking like the most violent comedy movie I'll probably ever see. It's a big gamble from Marvel - hopefully it pays off.

I'm not too worried about the 1h46 run time. It just means the plot will probably be straightforward. I mean, Road Warrior is 1h34 and doesn't feel short.
That said, the pre-release director's cut announcement is weird. I can't fathom Deadpool will have a LOTR-Extended Edition turnaround, and I hope it doesn't have the Kingdom of Heaven problem. Hopefully the special cut is more like Alien's director's edit, where Scott completely reedited sequences so deleted scenes would work, as opposed to slapping in shit and ruining the pacing.

This is looking like the most violent comedy movie I'll probably ever see. It's a big gamble from Marvel - hopefully it pays off.

Some interesting thoughts

1). Is this Marvel making this movie? If so

2). How was he able to mention X Men at all I thought mutants, X Men and all that sort of stuff was locked down pretty tight?

3). How does Deadpool fit in to the expanded Universe? will we get a post credit scene that fits in with what's going on in the MCU as is typical with all of Marvel's movies, or will the very fact that this is R-Rated mean that it sits in it's own little sub universe kept locked away from the family friendly MCU?

drkchmst:
I don't think 1hr 46min is anything to balk at. It is right around the right length. Movies are getting too long, I remember back in my day when you paid a nickel, you got popcorn a drink the news several shorts and the main feature which was only 5 minutes

Truthfully, this is probably a good length. It's similar to a movie like Kung Fury. The movie was only like half an hour long however because it was so short it left myself and my friends wanting more, giving it some replayability, if that's an apt term here.

coolbond:

Metalrocks:

dont forget germany.

Germany doesn't give a fuck if a movie is violent/sexual or whatever, they only really censor videogames.

Well, if your movie isn't getting itself a bunch of publicity with how edgy it is, start making statements about how it was so edgy it couldn't go to theaters uncut. This is a pretty good bit of controversy pr.

Talk about killing two birds with one stone: gets you talking about the movie for the theatrical release and starts getting people pumped for the director's cut blu-ray.

Not able to see this the 12th as I am working.
But I'll defo watch it the 13th with a mate or two.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here