Kojima And del Toro Will Host a Conference at DICE Summit

Kojima And del Toro Will Host a Conference at DICE Summit

deltorokojima

Kojima and del Toro will host a keynote address at this year's DICE Summit offering insight into their creative vision.

Hideo Kojima and Guillermo del Toro were the video game dream team that almost was, and now it has been announced that the pair will share a stage at this year's DICE Summit. In a session titled "A Conversation with Hideo Kojima and Guillermo del Toro," the pair will offer insight into their creative vision, and the driving force behind their artistic pursuits.

The session will be moderated by longtime gaming personality Geoff Keighley, who most recently was giving Konami the finger by telling everyone that the company barred Kojima from accepting an award for his own game. It will reportedtly " revisit some of their fondest memories from their own individual careers as well as some of the pivotal moments from each other's work that remain a constant source of inspiration," according to the DICE Summit website.

What is really exciting about the pair sharing a stage is that del Toro stated last year that despite the Silent Hills fiasco, he was still collaborating with Kojima on a yet-unannounced project. The Summit seems like the perfect time to lift the veil on said project.

The event will take place from February 16-18, 2016, at the Mandalay Bay Convention Center.

Source: DICE Summit

Permalink

Fuck. I read the headline as "Kojima del Toro" and thought they combined into one person and formed a new studio or something.

I thought del Toro swore off game development after Silent Hills was canned. Maybe he just meant Konami?

What is it with the double posts recently?

"We are proud to announce, with the combined talent of Kojima and del Toro...Quiet Mountain. It is a new survival horror game that in no way may sound familiar to something else that the entire internet lost its mind over when it was cancelled by a company that decided it wanted to blow its own head off."

Please, please, PLEASE tell me they found a way.

These two should make a silly over the top MECH game first just to get warmed up. Then after that go and melt heads with horror. The Mech genre has really been stale and pushed back as a niche thing at the turn of the decade.

Mute Undulations announcement or GTFO.

Hey, when did Kojima start modelling for Calvin Klein adverts?

Del Toro is looking increasingly like an "enlightened" Peter Griffin.

Ok, i'll stop. But the PT demo still remains on my HDD. ***I want to believe***

Total missed opportunity. The panel should have been "Fuck Konami". Or "Konami Tears". I mean the panel is practically a great big middle finger to Konami, seeing as they even have Geoff Keighley moderating it.

008Zulu:
I thought del Toro swore off game development after Silent Hills was canned. Maybe he just meant Konami?

Well, it has been stated by both him and Kojima that they really hit it off. They legitimately liked working with each other and really do want to work on some project together. Kojima has also stated that his new studio will likely produce things other than games, though the first project is a game. So, we have no idea what the two may be working on together in the future. I think del Toro will be involved in this new game, but they could also be planning some movie together as well. It is well known that Kojima always wanted to make movies, he has said as such in interviews.

Sniper Team 4:
"We are proud to announce, with the combined talent of Kojima and del Toro...Quiet Mountain. It is a new survival horror game that in no way may sound familiar to something else that the entire internet lost its mind over when it was cancelled by a company that decided it wanted to blow its own head off."

Please, please, PLEASE tell me they found a way.

Dammit. I was literally planning to post something almost exactly like this. Even down to calling the game "Quiet Mountain". Are you in my head?

Breaking news, in a couple of weeks, Kojima en Del Toro might have actual news to tell the world.

Pseudonym:
Breaking news, in a couple of weeks, Kojima en Del Toro might have actual news to tell the world.

I mean, in this case that's pretty big news. Kojima and Del Toro not only still hanging together when we know Kojima wants to make a new game, but being moderated by Geoff Keighley?

If this site was made up of only strict press releases and game announcements, they might as well just be a monthly newsletter. Stuff like this is relevant.

sid:

Pseudonym:
Breaking news, in a couple of weeks, Kojima en Del Toro might have actual news to tell the world.

I mean, in this case that's pretty big news. Kojima and Del Toro not only still hanging together when we know Kojima wants to make a new game, but being moderated by Geoff Keighley?

If this site was made up of only strict press releases and game announcements, they might as well just be a monthly newsletter. Stuff like this is relevant.

Yeah, I mean the announcement that they are on a panel together, does imply future collaboration, which is cool. I'm personally not a big fan of Kojima, but hey, if he and Del Toro enjoy working together, then more power to them.

Everyone is looking for a Quiet Mountain, but I'm wanting myself some Screaming Plains, but maybe that's just me.

This will be worth watching, two people who deserve to be listened to as masters of their arts.

008Zulu:
I thought del Toro swore off game development after Silent Hills was canned. Maybe he just meant Konami?

He did, though it's not hard to imagine that was just an outburst born of frustration with the debacle over Silent Hills. And given what we've seen about that situation, that would be understandable. If you ever listen to interviews or DVD commentaries with Del Toro, he's a pretty passionate guy, so it wouldn't be out of character.

I love Kojima and all, but I'm hoping that del Toro may be able to 'contain' him a bit. I personally felt he overshot things with Metal Gear Solid V, strictly speaking from a story perspective. Either way, I look forward to whatever these guys end up putting out, be it a video game or a movie. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a movie first, as Kojima has always been pretty adamant about working on one.

Unless they are going to say 'We collectively paid for the rights for Silent Hill + its Engine. We will go forward with making the game' just fuck off.

ThatDarnCoyote:

008Zulu:
I thought del Toro swore off game development after Silent Hills was canned. Maybe he just meant Konami?

He did, though it's not hard to imagine that was just an outburst born of frustration with the debacle over Silent Hills. And given what we've seen about that situation, that would be understandable. If you ever listen to interviews or DVD commentaries with Del Toro, he's a pretty passionate guy, so it wouldn't be out of character.

Yeah, I remember seeing some interviews with the cast from Pacific Rim, and they all commented about how enthusiastic he is, and how fun it is to work with him. Because he's basically a giant fanboy for all the stuff he makes, and it's apparently infectious to be around him.

Kyogissun:
Unless they are going to say 'We collectively paid for the rights for Silent Hill + its Engine. We will go forward with making the game' just fuck off.

These two people have too much talent individually to please only you. In fact, it's extremely bratty to not settle for them using all the same assets and ideas under a new IP.

 

Reply to Thread

Log in or Register to Comment
Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  
  
Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here