Titanfall 2 Will Have a Singleplayer Campaign

Pages PREV 1 2

Dalisclock:

Rommel102:

I'm happy they are going to add more content to the game, but I'm pretty skeptical that the "single player campaign" will be the reason that people go out and buy it.

The only reason I didn't bother with it was because it was multi-player only, no matter how much I like the concept. Sorry, I just don't do multi-player. I didn't complain, but I also decided I wasn't gonna bother, even with good reviews.

If the single-player campaign ends up being good, I'll put down money for it.

No, the only reason you didn't buy the game is because apparently you don't like multiplayer games.

Titanfall was a multiplayer game. I'd rather they make a 30 hour single player campaign in the Titanfall universe than waste time and resources on appending a lackluster 8 hour campaign onto Titanfall 2.

The gaming world has changed immeasurably in the last 15 years but we are still expecting single player and multi-player games to be fully fleshed out and included in the same package. This fragments the developer teams, dramatically increases the cost, and ends up being a waste for the devs as has been proven time and time again with COD and other FPS games where most people don't even finish the campaign, or beat it one time and then spend 200 times longer in the multiplayer.

Just separate them into the proper two games that they should be.

ObsidianJones:
and I'll wait until the first sale before thinking about picking it up.

Already burned from presales.

Yeah, I picked it up (with an Xbox One console!) based on the hype. What a huge mistake. I played for a couple of weeks and then picked up Watch Dogs to justify my hardware investment. Zero for two.

I may pick up Titanfall 2 if the singleplayer campaign is any good (and takes more than a handful of hours to finish). The thing that Titanfall did get right was the sense of piloting a large, uberdestructive mech, which was pretty fun. Throw in a meaningful singleplayer campaign and some destructible environments and it could be a worthwhile purchase.

Rommel102:

Dalisclock:

Rommel102:

I'm happy they are going to add more content to the game, but I'm pretty skeptical that the "single player campaign" will be the reason that people go out and buy it.

The only reason I didn't bother with it was because it was multi-player only, no matter how much I like the concept. Sorry, I just don't do multi-player. I didn't complain, but I also decided I wasn't gonna bother, even with good reviews.

No, the only reason you didn't buy the game is because apparently you don't like multiplayer games.

Okay.....how is that different then what I said?

Rommel102:

Titanfall was a multiplayer game. I'd rather they make a 30 hour single player campaign in the Titanfall universe than waste time and resources on appending a lackluster 8 hour campaign onto Titanfall 2.

The gaming world has changed immeasurably in the last 15 years but we are still expecting single player and multi-player games to be fully fleshed out and included in the same package. This fragments the developer teams, dramatically increases the cost, and ends up being a waste for the devs as has been proven time and time again with COD and other FPS games where most people don't even finish the campaign, or beat it one time and then spend 200 times longer in the multiplayer.

I'd be fine with a single player game set in the Titanfall Universe/a singleplayer version of titanfall with no multiplayer.

I don't see any particular reason that games have to have both, if you could have a single player and a multiplayer version instead. Especially if they charged $30 for one instead of $60 for the full singleplayer/multiplayer package.

Shamanic Rhythm:

"So we are doing our best to deliver a vision of grand global colonial warfare retelling the story of the American Revolution and the American Civil War in space," said Stern, giving us a little bit of a hint at what Titanfall 2's story would entail. "We imagined the next generation of immigrants moving out to the new frontier of an inhabitable planet."

It does seem a little like veering from one extreme to another. The game gets criticised for having no campaign, so for the next one they opt to retell 100 years of American history.

Well, that depends how they do it. If the SP campaign is the revolutionary war aspect with the MP the Civil War aspect, it would be doable. Although really redoing the Civil War requires a rather large re-balancing to beef up the South.

Neato! If I can play it offline than I might be tempted to pick it up when/if I get a PS4...assuming it's on the PS4. Like last time, I'm sure Respawn is anticipating a full release of Titanfall on the Bone and the PS4 so hopefully they won't find out during E3 that T2 isn't actually going to be multi-plat.

Playing offline...Ah, got what I needed for another thread!

RicoADF:

Dalrien:
I can't even begin to comprehend why tagging on an obligatory campaign to a mainly multiplayer experience somehow suddenly makes it a consideration for purchasing it.

*Roll eyes*

I can't even begin to comprehend why selling half a game for full price is somehow suddenly a consideration for purchasing it.

You have your values for games, others have theirs. I will not waste money on a game that is dead once the servers go down/players numbers drop off. I love Counter Strike Source, Unreal Tournament etc, all multi player games and all have bots and other single player offline options so I can still play them today if I feel like having a quick round. Even when the games are still new I prefer versing bots as I can't be assed to deal with people.

A multiplayer only game Is as much a "half game" as the new Wolfenstein Is a "half game". That the triple A industry has forsaken bots entirely Is a complaint you should bring up instead of proclaiming a game being "half" due to it's reliance on other people.

"So we are doing our best to deliver a vision of grand global colonial warfare retelling the story of the American Revolution and the American Civil War in space," said Stern, giving us a little bit of a hint at what Titanfall 2's story would entail.

GIVE ME SPACE LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH.

I am completely on board with this: always wanted to play the original but I opted for a PS4. I may even take a look at the TV series if it doesn't end up with Syfy Channel grade special effects.

Excellent, good to see that publishers and devs are seeing that trying to do a multiplatform AAA multiplayer-only release is not a very good idea(Evolve's sequel is also going to have a single player campaign). Hopefully the Battlefront and Siege sequels will follow in the same footsteps.

Rommel102:

Dalisclock:

Rommel102:

Yeah I disagree with that, Siege and Battlefront not having a single player didn't help them much, as they felt extremely barebones, so I have to ask where exactly the money they saved went(with Siege, it's probably the stupid microtransactions).

Titanfall was not a GOOD MP game(it's no wonder barely anyone plays it on PC), the creators admitted they made a mistake in not having any single player content.

How do you know it will be "lackluster"? You're not psychic, saying that the "gaming world has changed" is a terrible excuse to get rid of SP.

ObsidianJones:

The complaint is as follows, and of course it will be meaningless to you if you don't see it that way.

An overabundance of weapons does not automatically improve a game. Nor does a handful of weapons actually lend itself to role fulfillment, especially when not everyone will play the role the same.

TF2 is a perfect example in both extremes.

Back in my heyday in TF2 on the Xbox 360, there were certain classes I just wouldn't play because I never liked shotguns. Just didn't care for them. That closed the door for people like me who tend to gravitate to a certain weapon style.

When the first new weapons were released for TF2 on the PC, I was ecstatic. I could play the roles I want in a manner that fit me. Or at least didn't make me feel like Demoman number 435,679,101.

Now with the plethora of weapons... yeah, too much. I won't touch it.

An overabundance does not automatically improve the game, but neither does strapping someone in and saying 'This is all you get'. I'm the type of guy who likes experimenting and trying new things or working a thing from a different angle. Personally, I never the feeling that I could do that with Titanfall.

I mean, that's fair. I understood the gist of the complaint. It's just that I personally didn't see Titanfall's core gameplay being improved in anyway by the addition of an array of weapon variants. That's all.

It's a bit like the core design of the game being built around the 6 v 6 structure of the matches. They eventually added a larger player count option, but the mode in which it was used was dramatically different from the core gameplay and modes. I felt adding a large number of variant weapons would have done the same to the core gameplay.

Naldan:

Thank you for the input. I was more talking about Titanfall 2 when saying "What's wrong with the devs." I know that it's extremely challenging, but what really puzzles me:

These campaigns are often, as far as I know, rather expensive to make. And need a lot of time. Is it really easier to build these instead of a useful AI? Since the maps have to be there anyway, because it's a multiplayer-focused game.

It comes down to two things:
1: Cost to produce.
2: Return on investment

With the complexity of the movement systems in Titanfall, and the logistics of all of the things a player has to keep in mind during any given moment of a match, I imagine it must be very difficult to create a convincing AI that can not only make use of these systems, but also do so both competently AND incompetently[1]. This makes the process of building the AI system both difficult and expensive.

Which goes into point two. If they think there isn't enough demand for AI opponents, going through the cost and effort of building such a complex system isn't worth the investment.

I'm hoping point two isn't stopping them from including decent AI in Titanfall 2, but if it is missing I'll understand why. Will still be greatly disappointed, though.

[1] The AI has to be good, but not TOO good, otherwise it will always win and frustrate the players.

Single player good, tv spin off? Ehhh....I have a feeling it's going to be absolute garbage...hope I'm wrong but again, history vindicates me

Well, now I'm actually interested in a Titanfall sequel.

This alone is why I will get Titanfall 2. I really enjoyed the MP in the first but the game ran out of fuel quickly. If it's trying to compete in the same space as CoD it's going to need the same platter of goodies to hold up. I mean....Black Ops 3 has two single-player campaigns (main and nightmare), a parkour sim, the single and MP zombies campaigns, and of course the MP itself. Which also lets you play with bots offline and split screen.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here