See The Warcraft Movie, Get the Game and All Expansions - Maybe

See The [I]Warcraft[/i] Movie, Get the Game and All Expansions - Maybe

WoW Ultimate Movie Edition

A thread on Reddit has revealed that Blizzard is considering giving away World of Warcraft and all the expansions to anyone who goes to see the Warcraft movie in June.

You should always be skeptical of emails coming to you supposedly from game companies asking for things from you - especially ones that have a typographical error in them. But apparently, the possibility of a World of Warcraft Ultimate Movie Edition is real, despite the typo.

A Reddit user posted an image of an email he received from Blizzard offering the package as a possible perk to anyone who goes to see the upcoming Warcraft movie when it is released on June 10. All you have to do is answer a couple of feedback questions. The package would include:

• World of Warcraft
  • The Burning Crusade
  • Wrath of the Litch King
  • Cataclysm
  • Mists of Pandaria
  • Warlords of Draenor
  • One month of free game time
  • An exclusive in-game item

Here's the catch: Wrath of the Litch King. Yes, I spelled it exactly the way it was in the email. How could Blizzard make a silly mistake like that on one of it's core expansions? It has to be a phishing scam, right? Apparently not. Blizzard Customer Support member Araxom showed up in the Reddit thread to confirm that the email was indeed legit, and that the typo had been fixed for future mailings.

We've reached out to Blizzard to see if we can get some more details, such as what the in-game item might be (mount or pet?) and when we would know for certain if this was actually going to happen. We'll update if we hear back from them.

Personally, it seems like a great idea. With WoW's dwindling subscriber base, it seems like a great way to bring some people back and maybe even get a few new users prior to the launch of the next expansion, Legion, later this year. And I could always use another pet for my collection.

Source: Warcraft Reddit

Shouldn't they give away the first game as that's what the movie is loosely based on?

John Keefer:
You should always (be) skeptical of emails coming to you supposedly from game companies asking for things from you - especially ones that have a typographical error in them. But apparently, the possibility of a World of Warcraft Ultimate Movie Edition is real, despite the typo.

You mean kinda like the suspicious lack of the word "be" in the above paragraph? :P

OT: "To thank you for coming to see our first major motion picture release, we'd like to give you a potential addiction! The first taste is free, after that you pay far out the ass to play in our magical world of elves and trolls!"

Gee, thanks Blizzard. Can't say I'm very keen on receiving a commitment bordering on a 2nd job as a thank you gift. >.>

SirSullymore:
Shouldn't they give away the first game as that's what the movie is loosely based on?

Holy Sargeras no! If they remade it and released it as a special bonus for moviegoers, I'd say yeah... but its kind of a mess and not something that would interest people. I mean yeah there are people who'd be happy to get a retro copy, but the game itself has not held up well and would be a kind of let down. Plus its marketing, they want more people to feed the mmo machine, WC1 would probably turn newbies off and wouldn't bring in the older players who've quit.

RJ 17:

John Keefer:
You should always (be) skeptical of emails coming to you supposedly from game companies asking for things from you - especially ones that have a typographical error in them. But apparently, the possibility of a World of Warcraft Ultimate Movie Edition is real, despite the typo.

You mean kinda like the suspicious lack of the word "be" in the above paragraph? :P

uh ... yeah ... exactly like that. The typo has been fixed in all future versions of this story. And can I get you account name and password? ;)

Imperioratorex Caprae:

SirSullymore:

Holy Sargeras no! If they remade it and released it as a special bonus for moviegoers, I'd say yeah... but its kind of a mess and not something that would interest people. I mean yeah there are people who'd be happy to get a retro copy, but the game itself has not held up well and would be a kind of let down. Plus its marketing, they want more people to feed the mmo machine, WC1 would probably turn newbies off and wouldn't bring in the older players who've quit.

Fair enough, I just want Blizzard to make more Warcraft RTS's.

Imperioratorex Caprae:

SirSullymore:

Not to mention that back then Blizzard's way of balancing was simply to have both factions have identical stats for each equivalent unit. Literally the only difference between factions back then were what spells the casters used.

SirSullymore:

Imperioratorex Caprae:

SirSullymore:

Fair enough, I just want Blizzard to make more Warcraft RTS's.

I'd love to see a Warcraft Trilogy Revamp, so they can clean up the lore a bit, modernize the games (but keep it more like WC3 with updated graphics engine and such). And of course another WC RTS. It'd be nice.

If this real they are desperate. They're still pushing Warlords alone for at least double the price of a ticket.

RJ 17:

Imperioratorex Caprae:

SirSullymore:

Not to mention that back then Blizzard's way of balancing was simply to have both factions have identical stats for each equivalent unit. Literally the only difference between factions back then were what spells the casters used.

Wich made the Alliance so much more powerfull since they would get the healing spells and the Orcs would get a bunch of useless crap like a mine spell, a bloodlust spell that damaged your own units and in warcraft 2 you could summon useless skeletons that had decaying HP if you actually bothered to micromanage death knights.

But hey... back then it was still an awesome game... just gaming itselfe has come a long way since then.

As for this promotion... if its true its simply genius... not only do they get people to try out WoW when they havent (since you need a new account aparantly) they dont actually give out this years expansion. Since they dont make money of off old expansions anyways its a win win situation for them to do this.

Karadalis:

RJ 17:

Imperioratorex Caprae:

Wich made the Alliance so much more powerfull since they would get the healing spells and the Orcs would get a bunch of useless crap like a mine spell, a bloodlust spell that damaged your own units and in warcraft 2 you could summon useless skeletons that had decaying HP if you actually bothered to micromanage death knights.

Yeah, the only thing that The Horde had going for them were Tornado and Death and Decay...and Tornadoes were just as likely to blow back and kill your own units as they were to go where you actually wanted them to.

Death and Decay was nice...it's just too bad Paladins get Exorcism which one-shots Death Knights. :P

Their subs must be writhing in the gutter right now if they're willing to do something like this. Damn.

Yeah that seen rather desperate from their part. Normally it would be go see it and get an exclusive ingame item in WOW or some crap like that?

SirSullymore:

SHHHHHHH. Don't ruin it for the rest of us.

RJ 17:

Karadalis:

RJ 17:

Yeah, the only thing that The Horde had going for them were Tornado and Death and Decay...and Tornadoes were just as likely to blow back and kill your own units as they were to go where you actually wanted them to.

Death and Decay was nice...it's just too bad Paladins get Exorcism which one-shots Death Knights. :P

Forget that, it was mages' polymorph that was the real fucker. It was an effective instant kill that turned your unit into a critter.

Dimitriov:

RJ 17:

Karadalis:

Forget that, it was mages' polymorph that was the real fucker. It was an effective instant kill that turned your unit into a critter.

And as I recall it was a permanent "debuff" and back then there was no dispel ability to get your unit back.

That's the problem with trying to just say "all units are the exact same except for casters!" This "balance" inherently creates an imbalance because it just becomes a question of "Ok, which faction's are the most OP?"

Blizzard emails always had the official header and certainly never had spelling mistakes. Account Hijacking usually used the 'free mount' tactic. I am sure if such a thing existed it would be highly publicised on their official site anyway.

Heh honestly seeing this, what I am really seeing is:

Our game is dying! We need to keep this cash cow going somehow. But everyone is hating the game now. Lets try bribing customers back? Yeah that has bound to work. I mean... EA tricks their customers back to them constantly.

Now the real clever thing about this is they're still charging for their next expansion, you know the one with the demon hunters, so pretty much all they are giving you is "world of farmville"(garrisons) except you have to pay a subscription to play it. I honestly can't think of a worse way to introduce people who might not play Wow to your brand as Draenor had a fantastic start but an absolutely ABYSMAL endgame.

Nilanius:

Our game is dying! We need to keep this cash cow going somehow. But everyone is hating the game now. Lets try bribing customers back? Yeah that has bound to work. I mean... EA tricks their customers back to them constantly.

How long have people been saying that the game is dying? 3 years? 4 years? Since BC?
I guess it is dying, just like each and every one of us is slowly creeping towards death. I actually resubbed and played WoD for a whole 4 weeks before quitting again. I suspect that WoW will last many more years before they close it down. I wouldn't be surprised if it was going well past 2020.

Even if this is a hoax, it wouldn't be a bad idea - in Australia at least the cost of a movie ticket is nearly the same as the Blizzard Battle Chest so if they included a month of free game time, I could see this bringing in a few new players. Though I personally expect they'll just offer codes to redeem for a mount or game time or something.

Li Mu:

Nilanius:

How long have people been saying that the game is dying? 3 years? 4 years? Since BC?
I guess it is dying, just like each and every one of us is slowly creeping towards death. I actually resubbed and played WoD for a whole 4 weeks before quitting again. I suspect that WoW will last many more years before they close it down. I wouldn't be surprised if it was going well past 2020.

Going purely by numbers? Since Cataclysm where it peaked. That said "dying" for an mmo is much akin to a dying empire. Sure they're declining, but it'll take a helluva long time before it'll actually reach death valley. Wouldn't surprise me if the game kept going for another decade or two at least.

Fappy:
Their subs must be writhing in the gutter right now if they're willing to do something like this. Damn.

Actually, I was wondering would this be aimed at? I went with the following people

1. you've never plaid WoW,
- you don't want to see the movie - would you really go to the release in order to get the game for free?
- you want to see the movie - I doubt "seeing movie" would equal "wanting to play the game". I'm pretty sure most people who'd go to see the Warcraft movie would know what Warcraft, and by extension, World of Warcraft is. I'm pretty sure that not playing WoW was a concious decision for them. So why would they want the game?

2. You play WoW.
- you don't want to see the movie, then how would giving you what you already have[1] make you want to see it?
- if you want to see the movie - would you be THAT MUCH more incentivised to go to see it at release by, again, giving you what you already have?

Didn't really make much sense to me. Sure, you'll get some people who'd be excited by the offer. And even some percentage of them would be retained, but I don't think it's that big of a percentage overall.

However, then I realised I was missing one group of people

3. You've played WoW in the past but not now.

I think the offer might be aimed at them. This group seems to be the most likely to both benefit from this offer and also would have the most retention, as well.

All in all, if this were true, I think Blizzard would mainly trying to reclaim lost subscribers.

[1] well, I guess you'd have the one month free but it's pretty minor. If you're playing WoW, I'm fairly confident you'll have all expansions already

DoPo:

Fappy:

Actually, I was wondering would this be aimed at? I went with the following people

1. you've never plaid WoW,
- you don't want to see the movie - would you really go to the release in order to get the game for free?
- you want to see the movie - I doubt "seeing movie" would equal "wanting to play the game". I'm pretty sure most people who'd go to see the Warcraft movie would know what Warcraft, and by extension, World of Warcraft is. I'm pretty sure that not playing WoW was a concious decision for them. So why would they want the game?

2. You play WoW.
- you don't want to see the movie, then how would giving you what you already have[1] make you want to see it?
- if you want to see the movie - would you be THAT MUCH more incentivised to go to see it at release by, again, giving you what you already have?

Didn't really make much sense to me. Sure, you'll get some people who'd be excited by the offer. And even some percentage of them would be retained, but I don't think it's that big of a percentage overall.

However, then I realised I was missing one group of people

3. You've played WoW in the past but not now.

I think the offer might be aimed at them. This group seems to be the most likely to both benefit from this offer and also would have the most retention, as well.

All in all, if this were true, I think Blizzard would mainly trying to reclaim lost subscribers.

That's what they've been doing for years though. Just look at the last expansion and the new one. They're milking the TBC nostalgia as hard as they can in order to get people to return.

[1] well, I guess you'd have the one month free but it's pretty minor. If you're playing WoW, I'm fairly confident you'll have all expansions already

Fappy:
That's what they've been doing for years though.

I've not really kept up to date with WoW. Like, at all. The most of my "news" I get from a friend of mine who has now quit the game but occasionally mentions an announcement or something. Not because he's still interested in WoW, but more because he follows Blizzard.

Fappy:
Just look at the last expansion and the new one.

Which one was the one with the giant dumb reset retcon switch? That one was stupid and reminded me why I gave up on the game.

*checks the interwebs*

It was the previous one - Warlords of Draenor. I didn't like that one.

Fappy:

Well...two horrible expansions will to that to you. I mean, Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm pretty much became the new hot thing for Blizzard so I'm sure WoW fall isn't going to shake them too much but unless Legion is amazing (and since its "the Burning Legion is alive. Again." I'm doubting), the fall will continue.

Karadalis:

RJ 17:

Imperioratorex Caprae:

But hey... back then it was still an awesome game... just gaming itselfe has come a long way since then.

As for this promotion... if its true its simply genius... not only do they get people to try out WoW when they havent (since you need a new account aparantly) they dont actually give out this years expansion. Since they dont make money of off old expansions anyways its a win win situation for them to do this.

Bloodlust did not damage your own units. You're thinking Unholy Armor, which injures the unit but makes it invincible for a short period of time. Bloodlust just doubled the damage... and was so ridiculously good that it made the Horde brokenly powerful. The alliance had a terrible heal spell and something that kind of killed Death Knights. The Horde got a spell that doubled their units' effectiveness, and those runes were all instant multikills. Though they tended to Friendly Fire

Also - haste on a Death Knight made them incredibly powerful, as long as the enemy didn't have Paladins out yet (Kill them, and everything else, with Ogres)

Polymorph was a decent long-range snipe spell, but other than that nothing spectacular.

Li Mu:

Nilanius:

I doubt that. The Wrath of the Lich King was their peak of around 12 million subscribers. And it has been going downward since. And the last sub numbers released, Final Fantasy XIV has surpassed Vanilla WoW in 2 years what it took Vanilla WoW to achieve in 4 or 5 years. I was a player of WoW up until halfway through Mists of Pandaria. And even I threw my hands up in disgust with Activision-Blizzard. And much like EA, they sucker people to coming back for just a little while with a pretty expansion that ends up fizzling out after 3-4 months and people end up leaving again because they made it too easy, and extremely dumbed down with very little content. Meanwhile, MMO's like Final Fantasy XIV, are releasing every 3 months, very polished and huge content patches that give something to every style of play. Raiders, dungeon crawling progressers, storyline players, crafters, and roleplayers. You seen the teaser for FFXIV's latest patch coming out the end of this month? 3.2's trailer shows off so much more than ANY WoW trailer ever did. And that is saying a lot.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here