NASA Teases Space Tourism with Retro Travel Advertisements

NASA Teases Space Tourism with Retro Travel Advertisements

"You're now free to move about the galaxy."

The California Institute of Technology's Jet Propulsion Laboratory has produced an awesome series of forward-looking travel advertisements. The poster-sized images depict possible travel destinations including 51 Pegasi b (the first exoplanet found to orbit a sun-like star) and rogue planet PSO J318.5-22, along with more familiar, "local" bodies like Jupiter and its moon Europa.

The promotional images are part of a 20th anniversary celebration for NASA's Exoplanet Exploration Program, which also features a "travel bureau" website with some fun interactive stuff for the kids.

Me? I'm packing a bag for a trip to Saturn's moon Enceladus and those ice jets. Sure, it's a bag built to hold an urn containing my ashes, as it's nearly certain I won't be getting to space in my lifetime, but it's mostly packed. Let me know when the ship is leaving, NASA.

Source: NASA/JPL-Caltech

The art deco whore inside of me wants most of these on my walls so bad.

I'm gonna see if there's an affordable poster printing place around these parts. The Venus, Titan and Europa ones are stunning. Odd though, I can only see some of the pictures on NASA's own website. Where's all of 'em?

Cowabungaa:
I can only see some of the pictures on NASA's own website. Where's all of 'em?

Odd. I thought there was a link to the full package from NASA's site, but I guess not? Here's a direct link to a page featuring all of the designs (which has been added to the article as well): http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/visions-of-the-future/

Haven't these been doing the rounds for a while? I'm sure I've seen some of them before.

Conrad Zimmerman:

Cowabungaa:
I can only see some of the pictures on NASA's own website. Where's all of 'em?

Odd. I thought there was a link to the full package from NASA's site, but I guess not? Here's a direct link to a page featuring all of the designs (which has been added to the article as well): http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/visions-of-the-future/

Ahh, thanks! I'm often quite blind as a bat when it comes to reading so maybe it was there. But now I'm sure, in any case. I mean damn they look good.

I dunno NASA. If you want people to think of space tourism as safe, maybe don't invoke Fallout and Aperture Science...
Just sayin'

These are freaking awesome. I would love to get a poster set of a few of these.

NASA has become such a joke. I wonder how much real research they still do, since all I see from them is propaganda and fake stuff in order to get funding.

Art deco + fiction = happy me

My word those are pretty...

WinterWyvern:
NASA has become such a joke. I wonder how much real research they still do, since all I see from them is propaganda and fake stuff in order to get funding.

Well, SpaceX and such are more oriented to "close" space-travel.
All the dream-fueling exploration is mostly through probes and new engines, and it's still a NASA/ESA thing.

If you feel yourself adventurous, you could also invest your money in "alternatives".
I've heard some people get huge funding for claming we can go into space on a woman-headed donkey. Or by thanking santa claus every time our sir wellington got out from the right exit. Even believing in some random guy could be enough to make you fly.
But they're still struggling to grasp the heliocentric concept, or the 13.78 billion years scale...

So yeah. There're worse ways to waste your funding than supporting NASA shenanigans.

mtarzaim02:

WinterWyvern:

Well, SpaceX and such are more oriented to "close" space-travel.
All the dream-fueling exploration is mostly through probes and new engines, and it's still a NASA/ESA thing.

If you feel yourself adventurous, you could also invest your money in "alternatives".
I've heard some people get huge funding for claming we can go into space on a woman-headed donkey. Or by thanking santa claus every time our sir wellington got out from the right exit. Even believing in some random guy could be enough to make you fly.
But they're still struggling to grasp the heliocentric concept, or the 13.78 billion years scale...

So yeah. There're worse ways to waste your funding than supporting NASA shenanigans.

I disagree.
"You should support this half-scam, because it could be worse: you could support a full scam!" How about I don't support any? :P

I actually follow the Nasa website. I hop there from time to time. I even got a survey popping up, making me wonder if it was a random occurrence or if they kept track and noticed I vist their site often.

I'm not saying they're entirely bad. But they are so concerned into propaganda to get funding, that they forgot the real purpose of science. Rather than the truth, they'll tell you a straight up lie if that lie is what you want to hear. I can't accept their behaviour.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here