Star Wars Episode VIII Gets Teaser And a Cast List

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Star Wars Episode VIII Gets Teaser And a Cast List

Star Wars Episode VIII has begun filming, and Laura Dern and Benicio Del Toro have joined the returning cast.

Disney and Lucasfilm released a short trailer today to announce that filming for Star Wars Episode VIII had finally begun, while dropping news that Laura Dern and Benicio Del Toro will be joining the cast.

The trailer isn't much, showing a closeup of a brooding Luke Skywalker on his island, looking at Rey as she offers him his old lightsaber. That is quickly followed by "Cut," and a quick celebration shot of Episode VIII "The Production Begins" announcement.

From the studio:

"Rey took her first steps into a larger world in Star Wars: The Force Awakens and will continue her epic journey with Finn, Poe, and Luke Skywalker in the next chapter of the continuing Star Wars saga, Star Wars: Episode VIII, which began principal photography at Pinewood Studios in London on Feb. 15, 2016."

Dern, who starred in Jurassic Park and Enlightened, and Del Toro, an Oscar winner for Traffic, will be joining the cast, along with newcomer Kelly Marie Tran. There was no reveal as to who they would be playing, but we also know that Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Anthony Daniels, Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, and Domhnall Gleeson are returning. Even Gwendoline Christie will be back as Captain Phasma.

The script is being written and directed by Rian Johnson and produced by Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy and Ram Bergman. Executive Producer J.J. Abrams apparently loves the script.

The film is scheduled to be released on Dec. 15, 2017.

Source: Entertainment Weekly

I swear if the script is just a copy of The Empire Strikes Back, there's gonna be some SERIOUS panning of this movie being done. By me.

For the love of god, I thought we were going to have more time before they tried to start the next hype train. Are we really going to have to put up with two years of this AND Rogue one? ****

Is that a new rendition of the main theme?
Also, I'm already hyped! I just hope this movie is more unique and even more awesome!

Arnoxthe1:
I swear if the script is just a copy of The Empire Strikes Back, there's gonna be some SERIOUS panning of this movie being done. By me.

You know its going to be. Captain Phasma is coming back, and has a bone to pick with Fynn. So what do you wanna bet she'll hunt him down and put him in carbonite. And whats her name will be training with Daddy Dearest until she has a vision and Luke will tell her she's not ready to face Darth Emo, and then she runs off to Cloud City(just...again) and gets her left hand cut off. So its totally different than Luke and his right hand.

Just started production? Did they think Episode VII was going to flop?

I suppose having to hire a new director tosses a few wrenches in the gears but seems a bit daft.

Either way, I don't see how this is... news.

Abomination:

I suppose having to hire a new director tosses a few wrenches in the gears but seems a bit daft.

You don't see how adding Benicio Del Toro into the cast list is news?

I was a bit worried when I saw "Teaser" because I still haven't seen a full trailer for Rogue One. Kind of want to get that out of the way first before I even think about the next episode. But this was nothing new, so I'm okay with it.

On a side note, still no mention of Billy Williams? Come on guys, he's one of two people who is ALWAYS willing to renew his role in Star Wars. He did it for Rebels, twice, and even for the Lego Movie. Are you honestly telling me you can't find a way to at least have him have a small cameo or something?

Hope the script is more original than the last, Phasma DOES something, explain how Luke's old saber was salvaged from a gas giant, and give us a better villain than temper-tantrum Kylo Ren.

Seriously, he looks more like the poster-boy for Rebel propaganda posters.

Silentpony:

Arnoxthe1:

You know its going to be. Captain Phasma is coming back, and has a bone to pick with Fynn. So what do you wanna bet she'll hunt him down and put him in carbonite. And whats her name will be training with Daddy Dearest until she has a vision and Luke will tell her she's not ready to face Darth Emo, and then she runs off to Cloud City(just...again) and gets her left hand cut off. So its totally different than Luke and his right hand.

Are you being serious? I genuinely can't tell.

They like making money, which is why they won't do something stupid like that which would hurt the popularity of the series and brand. Episode VII was a restart of a series that had been in stasis for over 30 years with enormous nostalgia, which many fans felt had been derailed by later installments; so it sorta had to play it safe to show it was the Star Wars people knew and loved. Now that they've reassured fans the series is in safe hands there's not much need to do that, and their not blind to the criticism that Ep VII was similar to Ep IV either.

So... Does that mean the Blu-rey version of The Force Awakens is coming out in March or April?

Other than that, I'm with Sniper Team 4 on this one... Where's my Rogue One trailer? And is Billy Dee going to be in it??

Olas:

Silentpony:

Arnoxthe1:

Are you being serious? I genuinely can't tell.

They like making money, which is why they won't do something stupid like that which would hurt the popularity of the series and brand. Episode VII was a restart of a series that had been in stasis for over 30 years with enormous nostalgia, which many fans felt had been derailed by later installments; so it sorta had to play it safe to show it was the Star Wars people knew and loved. Now that they've reassured fans the series is in safe hands there's not much need to do that, and their not blind to the criticism that Ep VII was similar to Ep IV either.

Clearly he's joking. Disney has shown they won't use Cloud City, It will just look 95% like Cloud City, maybe a pallet swap or something, but it'll be Oblith-Ky, or something.

Anyways they did 1.5 of the original trilogy in the first movie so they have to do the second half and all ROTJ in 8

So, Rey will leave Degobah Tython Ahch-To to fight Darth Uchiha. My money is on him cutting off her left leg. Followed by a return to Jakku to rescue Fynn. After that they find out there's second, even more powerful star killer base...

The only question is, are they going to Darth Vader Sasuke and have him return to the light side, or Pull a Jaina/Jacen and just have her kill him.

Olas:
SNIP

Actually no, I'm not joking. I have no faith in Disney or these filmmakers to create an original product. It'll be marketable and horribly successful, sure. But creative, engaging and original? No.

I would soon place my faith in Tim Burton making a Star Wars staring Johnny Depp and believing them when they said he wouldn't be wearing tons of makeup. That seems like a more believable statement than Disney saying Star Wars is in good hands.

Abomination:

They rewrote parts of the script to reflect the reception of some of the from TFA characters. Rey is supposed get more screen time, they are apparently going to have a new female lead (which is a bit worrying, I hope they're not thinking that the only reason Rey is so popular is because she is a woman) which I assume Is Laura Dern, as well as a new main male character, who is probably Del Toro.

Silentpony:

Arnoxthe1:

I certainly hope you're wrong, yet, the way you've described that does make it seem like all the pieces are in place for them to go that route if they choose. Still, I'm somewhat optimistic that the safeness of the previous film was to reel people in after the disaster known as the prequel trilogy, not an overall road map for the entire new trilogy.

Good Lord, can the Star Wars hype train ease off, even just a bit? Folks are still recovering from the year-long Episode VII media blitz.

You know, I'd really like for them to just use the Imperial Fleet for their world killing. Sorry but the amount of destructive force a star destroyer can dish out with it's guns is quite insane. Send a large number of those ships into orbit, and start orbital bombardment, you've got a devastated planet in no time. And personally, I think it would make for a more powerful scene. Giant bolts of red energy lancing down from the sky, leveling city blocks, while the people run in a panic. That's got more dramatic tension than 3 seconds worth of looking up in dread at a glowy sky, then poof, everyone's dead.

I think I'm spoiled by Babylon 5, where they have a scene where several warships use mass drivers on a planet from orbit. It was quite the intense scene, for it's more intimate nature.

Oh look, token asian-ish chick and more girlpower for the cast.

How quaint.

I wonder what their new Death-Star will look like.

Politrukk:

How quaint.

I know right? All this lack of white males is so PC, I wish they'd go back to pandering to us instead of pandering to other groups. Pssh, Hollywood these days. What a bunch of asshats.

Is that a grinding noise i hear?

Heh, you'd think Disney would at least have waited for the first film to be released on Blu-Ray before kicking off the hype train for the 2nd. I guess this is what we have to get used to, Star Wars every time, all the time, shoved in our faces

I can't speak for anyone else, but I am relieved by this news. I was worried this film wouldn't get a proper sequel after it made so little money.

Arnoxthe1:

I think Disney has proved the only way to satisfy Star Wars fans is a beat for beat recreation of the only part of the franchise pretty much everyone can agree was good.

FPLOON:
So... Does that mean the Blu-rey version of The Force Awakens is coming out in March or April?

I see what you did there. Or possibly C3P0 what you did there.

Happyninja42:

I think I'm spoiled by Babylon 5, where they have a scene where several warships use mass drivers on a planet from orbit. It was quite the intense scene, for it's more intimate nature.

In fairness, Bab 5 was super practical and Star Wars is "rule of cool." I mean, practical in the way it handles space combat. The ESPP is totally unrealistic and that's not what Vorlons really look li...I've said too much.

I know right? All this lack of white males is so PC, I wish they'd go back to pandering to us instead of pandering to other groups. Pssh, Hollywood these days. What a bunch of asshats.

What are you, some sort of Status Quo Warrior? I bet you support quotas demanding a mandatory minimum of straight white men and other majorities, right? Well, I say the right actress for the job, no matter who she is!

Politrukk:

A penis, thus confirming that Disney is taking on the Patriarchy.

Previous film isn't even out on dvd yet.

Something Amyss:

Happyninja42:

In fairness, Bab 5 was super practical and Star Wars is "rule of cool." I mean, practical in the way it handles space combat. The ESPP is totally unrealistic and that's not what Vorlons really look li...I've said too much.

True, I just mean, I found the dread and menace of the fleet of ships, hammering the planet from orbit to be a way more terrifying image, than the way the various Planet Killer weapons operate. They are by most representations, a very distant weapon. So the threat isn't very immediate. It's lightyears away in the case of the Starkiller Base. But to have a shot, where you see all of the Stardestroyers in orbit, and can see them from the ground. And then have dozens of pillar sized energy shots start raining down on a city? I just find that a way more intimidating image than some big floaty ball that doesn't actually do anything itself, It's literally just the landscape for the fights. But the fleet battle in Return of the Jedi? That was awesome. All those cap ships going at it. Just do that, but with the opening of it being them just bombarding the shit out of some planet. It would be more cost effective for the First Order, and if they lost a few ships, they could always bug out. xD

Happyninja42:

Something Amyss:
What are you, some sort of Status Quo Warrior? I bet you support quotas demanding a mandatory minimum of straight white men and other majorities, right? Well, I say the right actress for the job, no matter who she is!

You damn right I support that stuff! If it's not white male, it's crap! xD Anything less than 100% man is pandering to the bleeding heart liberals and their LGBT agenda!! We gotta stop them before they take over even more of the Happiest Place On Earth! *points accusatory finger at Amyss* You're part of the problem!! If you don't like it! You can get out of mah cuntry! ....let's see, yeah I think that covers most of the stock responses, now if you'll excuse me I have to go wash my mouth out after saying all that. I feel like I swallowed something foul. xD

Politrukk:

Something Amyss:

A penis, thus confirming that Disney is taking on the Patriarchy.

Hah!

Happyninja42:
You know, I'd really like for them to just use the Imperial Fleet for their world killing. Sorry but the amount of destructive force a star destroyer can dish out with it's guns is quite insane. Send a large number of those ships into orbit, and start orbital bombardment, you've got a devastated planet in no time. And personally, I think it would make for a more powerful scene. Giant bolts of red energy lancing down from the sky, leveling city blocks, while the people run in a panic. That's got more dramatic tension than 3 seconds worth of looking up in dread at a glowy sky, then poof, everyone's dead.

I felt that lends itself to a more powerful scene, somewhat like it did when the Sith Empire bombarded Taris in KOTOR.

The Enquirer:

Happyninja42:

I felt that lends itself to a more powerful scene, somewhat like it did when the Sith Empire bombarded Taris in KOTOR.

Yeah, again, Babylon 5 set a high mark for me. I remember another scene, separate from that orbital bombardment scene, but a different one. It's from the viewpoint of a person on the planet surface, and he's looking up as the armada jumps into orbit. And you can see the hundreds of jumpgate distortion portals appearing, very ominous, as you know what's causing them. Then they cut to the shot of all of those ships, just unloading on the surface, sending the civilization back to the stone age.

Happyninja42:

The Enquirer:

Happyninja42:

Yeah, again, Babylon 5 set a high mark for me. I remember another scene, separate from that orbital bombardment scene, but a different one. It's from the viewpoint of a person on the planet surface, and he's looking up as the armada jumps into orbit. And you can see the hundreds of jumpgate distortion portals appearing, very ominous, as you know what's causing them. Then they cut to the shot of all of those ships, just unloading on the surface, sending the civilization back to the stone age.

More than just the stone age, after Order Base Delta Zero it would be lucky if the planet could still support sentient life.

Happyninja42:

Politrukk:

How quaint.

It's not the point of "lack of white males"

It's the point of casting a very stereotypical diverse cast.

1 Black person
1 Asian person
1 Strong female (As the love interest or+possible love interest)
1 Arrogant male
1 Foolish male

All Star Wars lacks right now is a Latino and a Slav both with thick accents.

I bet it'll be just a retread of the original trilogy again. You know, there'll be a desert planet, and a protagonist, and the Millenium Falcon, and Jedi, and some space nazis, and a big thing. Literally the same thing. Now I know what you're gonna say: "what about all the big differences?" Ignore them, they're unimportant and, more importantly, inconvenient to my whining.

OT: Sure, let's get hyped. It'll probably be really good.

Politrukk:

1 Black person
1 Asian person
1 Arrogant male
1 Foolish male

So your complaint is that there's a strong, female protagonist and a black person, as well as a confidant male character and a male character who provides comic relief. Not sure who's supposed to be Asian and how you missed the fact that Oscar Isaac is Guatemalan, but okay. I guess casting directors should make sure to only cast white men to avoid this complaint then? Wouldn't want to be "stereotypical diverse" in having non-white non-male protagonists in their sci-fi fantasy epic.

Politrukk:

Happyninja42:

Politrukk:

How quaint.

1 Black person
1 Asian person
1 Arrogant male
1 Foolish male

Ok, this is going to sound snarky, but I am actually confused about who you are referencing here.

Who was asian in force awakens? I didn't look up the race of all the cast members and I must have missed that one.

Also, I got the foolish male (that's Kylo Ren, right?) but who is the arrogant male? Is that also Kylo Ren?

They also don't have any gender identity or sexuality diversity characters (yet! Poe/Finn shippers unite!). And the movie did have a white guy as a main character (Han Solo) and arguably the most interesting character (Kylo Ren) who is probably going to end up being the driving force and main focus of the trilogy.

And really, everyone did a pretty fantastic job at their characters. Hard to argue that they chose crappy actors for the sake of diversity, in my opinion.

Politrukk:

Happyninja42:

Politrukk:

How quaint.

1 Black person
1 Asian person
1 Arrogant male
1 Foolish male

So fucking what? Before this movie, the only non-white person (not counting aliens) in the entire Star Wars original trilogy was Lando, and he was about as stereotypically "cool black 70's pimp" as they came back then. Fucker even had a pimp cape for fuck's sake. So now, after 40+ years of this series being around, and raking in metric fucktons of money, they decide to diversify the cast? Good, fine, who gives a shit? I don't care what the race of the cast is, or how arbitrarily diverse you seem to think their casting choice was. Who fucking cares? The actors were good in their roles, and made an enjoyable movie. Perhaps, just *gasp* PERHAPS, they picked those people because they were, now hang onto your pants on this one....the best actors for the roles. I know right?! What a fucking concept!

I thought they had already started filming Episode VIII. Seems like a tight production schedule if they are planning to get it out by the Holidays next year.

Happyninja42:

Politrukk:

Happyninja42:

1 Black person
1 Asian person
1 Arrogant male
1 Foolish male

So fucking what? Before this movie, the only non-white person (not counting aliens) in the entire Star Wars original trilogy was Lando, and he was about as stereotypically "cool black 70's pimp" as they came back then. Fucker even had a pimp cape for fuck's sake. So now, after 40+ years of this series being around, and raking in metric fucktons of money, they decide to diversify the cast? Good, fine, who gives a shit? I don't care what the race of the cast is, or how arbitrarily diverse you seem to think their casting choice was. Who fucking cares? The actors were good in their roles, and made an enjoyable movie. Perhaps, just *gasp* PERHAPS, they picked those people because they were, now hang onto your pants on this one....the best actors for the roles. I know right?! What a fucking concept!

Man, don't be jealous of Lando's Pimp Cape. He works that shit. It's not his fault we can't all pull it off.

Otherwise, let me get in on this action. [insert impotent rage at nonissue here].

LifeCharacter:

Politrukk:

1 Black person
1 Asian person
1 Arrogant male
1 Foolish male

So your complaint is that there's a strong, female protagonist and a black person, as well as a confidant male character and a male character who provides comic relief. Not sure who's supposed to be Asian and how you missed the fact that Oscar Isaac is Guatemalan, but okay. I guess casting directors should make sure to only cast white men to avoid this complaint then? Wouldn't want to be "stereotypical diverse" in having non-white non-male protagonists in their sci-fi fantasy epic.

Newly announced cast member is Asian.

The point isn't that they shouldn't be diverse it's that they're so stereotypically filling the slots.

Now for the record.

Can you name all female characters in the original trilogy minus Leia?

ThatOtherGirl:

Politrukk:

Happyninja42:

1 Black person
1 Asian person
1 Arrogant male
1 Foolish male

Ok, this is going to sound snarky, but I am actually confused about who you are referencing here.

Who was asian in force awakens? I didn't look up the race of all the cast members and I must have missed that one.

Also, I got the foolish male (that's Kylo Ren, right?) but who is the arrogant male? Is that also Kylo Ren?

They also don't have any gender identity or sexuality diversity characters (yet! Poe/Finn shippers unite!). And the movie did have a white guy as a main character (Han Solo) and arguably the most interesting character (Kylo Ren) who is probably going to end up being the driving force and main focus of the trilogy.

And really, everyone did a pretty fantastic job at their characters. Hard to argue that they chose crappy actors for the sake of diversity, in my opinion.

Poe is the arrogant male
Finn and Kylo could both be classed as foolish males (Especially Finn he suits the bumbling protagonist kinda trope).

Not saying their acting is crap, I'm just saying the new cast members seem to fill generic diversifiying roles.

Have you seen the original trilogy and the cast build-up for that?
You can't deny there's a stark contrast especially in the male:female ratio.

Happyninja42:

Politrukk:

Happyninja42:

1 Black person
1 Asian person
1 Arrogant male
1 Foolish male

No need to get so rude about it.

I don't really mind the entire thing that much it's just noticeable that they're pandering to certain tropes and stereotypical expectancies here and I wanted to point that out.

As you just so eagerly admitted the casting now is very different from what it was back in the original trilogy, if I see another different specific type of casting then I'm free to point that out right?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here