BioWare Ponders "Dragon Age - Tactics"

BioWare Ponders "Dragon Age - Tactics"

BioWare producer Mark Darrah has asked fans if they would play a Dragon Age tactical RPG spin-off.

Tactical RPGs are all the rage these days, with XCOM 2 and Fire Emblem Fates being released to fairly positive reviews. This has got BioWare producer Mark Darrah to thinking: what about a Dragon Age tactical RPG? ""Would you play a Dragon Age Tactics game?" asked Darrah on Twitter, with 48% of people responding that yes, yes they would.

In a separate Tweet, he confirmed that this potential Dragon Age game would be a turn-based affair, ala XCOM and Fire Emblem. He also clarified that if this game were to happen, it would not replace the mainline Dragon Age series.

He also stated that it would be a "full game" dispelling a concern from a fan that it would be a "microtransaction generator" like The Last Court or Heroes of Dragon Age.

Darrah seems pretty keen on the idea and to be honest, so do I. I'm a big fan of tactical RPGs like XCOM, and seeing the same concept taken to Dragon Age sounds like a perfect match.

Source: Twitter via GameSpot

I personally think there aren't enough Tactics games at the moment, and Dragon Age actually would lend its self quite well to this type of game.

As long as its done as a full game then I'm all for it and will look forward to seeing more.

Isn't Mass Effect better suited for this? I'd play the shit out of a Mass Effect XCOM clone. Holy fuck, just thinking about it gives me a boner.

Heh, let's face it, both Dragon Age and Fire Emblem have the whole romance thing down to a fine art. Don't see why Dragon Age couldn't take gameplay inspiration from Fire Emblem as well. :)

Wasteland 2 on the xbox was a lot of fun. I want more of this.

No please. Just make Dragon Age 4. Don't try to cash in and then end up delaying the main game.

. . . Wouldn't Mage's range completely destroy the balance of the game? I mean unless you're playing as a Dwarven commander with some mage mercenary's but other wise?

. . . . You know what I think that that would actually work rather well. You are a "Commander" of a battalion of the Legion of the Dead. You are sent out by King Aeducan to carve out some passages of the Deep roads to further contact with Kal-Shorak. However after a titan induced earthquake the passage behind you collapses. It is now a race for survival as you carve your way through the darkspawn horde to safety.

Or you know, you could get rid of the MMO combat of Inquisition in favor of something with actual tactics on it.

I'd be in favor of it. Combat's always been the weakest aspect of Dragon Age, to me, and changing it out with a tactical, grid-based movement system would be to the series' benefit, in my opinion.

Adam Jensen:
Isn't Mass Effect better suited for this? I'd play the shit out of a Mass Effect XCOM clone. Holy fuck, just thinking about it gives me a boner.

Dragon Age needs it more though. Dragon Age 1 was supposed to be a sort of modernization of Bulder's Gate and other old school RPGs, it makes sense to actually fix the flaws of those games (retarded AI for example) than to make it real time and fill it pointless fetch quests (the bane of those old school RPGs) while giving you useless AI companions who serve as meat shields at best (looking at you Mass Effect). And DA isn't exactly going to win an award for originality.

DA: Origins was a cliche storm, decent story wise but still a cliche storm.
DA2 Was a grating cliche storm with pathetic pretences of trying to be different and "less epic" while trying to 1-up Origins. But hey, the dwarf doesn't have a beard, how original.
DA: Inquisition was an extremely boring and drawn out cliche storm.

Being a tactical game might actually force Bioware to ease on everyone sucking up to the player character, if only so they'll stop giving jobs that could and frankly should be done by city guards to a "random refugee". At the very least it won't a single player MMO but something with actual tactics.

Willinium:
. . . Wouldn't Mage's range completely destroy the balance of the game? I mean unless you're playing as a Dwarven commander with some mage mercenary's but other wise?

Not if they're competent at balancing the game, which to be fair is a pretty big "if".

If they treated it with roughly the same regard for complexity/variation as XCOM:EW? Then abso-frikkin'-lutely I'd love to see a turn-based combat game set in DA's 'verse.

...of course, as others have mentioned, they could just add proper strategic combat back into the mainline DA games, but I suppose that's never going to happen after DA:I's puddle shallow spamfest (Tactics scripting really needs to make a return in DA4, no matter how arcadey the combat).

Regardless, there's not nearly enough TB combat on console, so I'd love it. Just don't have us fighting darkspawn, because they're truly boring as fuck, now.

Darth Rosenberg:
If they treated it with roughly the same regard for complexity/variation as XCOM:EW? Then abso-frikkin'-lutely I'd love to see a turn-based combat game set in DA's 'verse.

Regardless, there's not nearly enough TB combat on console, so I'd love it. Just don't have us fighting darkspawn, because they're truly boring as fuck, now.

I swear that with how oftan I hear people complain about the deep roads(not you) and fighting Darkspawn I swear that it seems like I am one of a few that actually loved both of those aspects. Anyhow I do think it might work. As an example scenario:You are a "Commander" of a battalion of the Legion of the Dead. You are sent out by King Aeducan/Harrowmont to carve out some passages of the Deep roads to further contact with Kal-Shorak. However after a titan induced earthquake the passage behind you collapses. It is now a race for survival as you carve your way through the darkspawn horde to safety.

Willinium:

Assuming the game is turn-based, they could maybe make it so that particularly powerful Mage spells require a turn (or maybe even two) to 'conjure up'. Baldur's Gate did a similar thing with Mages. Higher-level Mage spells were crazy powerful, but they required time to prepare (during which the spell could be interrupted), so you needed Fighters to protect them while they were doing their incantations.

They should have had the poll option of "Add more tactics to the next Dragon Age game and make a tactics spin-off for Mass Effect".

Ihateregistering1:

Willinium:

Assuming the game is turn-based, they could maybe make it so that particularly powerful Mage spells require a turn (or maybe even two) to 'conjure up'. Baldur's Gate did a similar thing with Mages. Higher-level Mage spells were crazy powerful, but they required time to prepare (during which the spell could be interrupted), so you needed Fighters to protect them while they were doing their incantations.

You can also balance mages by numbers. Have mages be powerful, but you only have one mage for every 10 people. It would be neat if they went large scale with this as a way to kind of separate it from Xcom.

They probably have XCOM in mind with this, but I would much prefer something like Final Fantasy Tactics. I would probably play it either way, unless it was a mobile game.

Willinium:

Actually in Tactics games it's the melee that tend to snap the balance in half. The deadliest combination in FF Tactics was either giving a knight the dual wield ability or giving a ninja heavy armor. All those fancy spells don't mean much when you can just blitzkrieg the guy and turn him into goo before he's finished casting.

Willinium:
I swear that with how oftan I hear people complain about the deep roads(not you) and fighting Darkspawn I swear that it seems like I am one of a few that actually loved both of those aspects.

C'mon, what are they? They're just bland orc swaps with even less possible culture. I didn't mind them in Origins at all, as from the very opening quote the Blight and their - ahem... - origins has novel context. But in 2 and Inquisition they're just the most filler of filler mobs to slaughter.

Anyhow I do think it might work. As an example scenario:You are a "Commander" of a battalion of the Legion of the Dead. You are sent out by King Aeducan/Harrowmont to carve out some passages of the Deep roads to further contact with Kal-Shorak. However after a titan induced earthquake the passage behind you collapses. It is now a race for survival as you carve your way through the darkspawn horde to safety.

I really hope - if they try this whole idea - they don't lock it into ho-hum spawn slaying in the Deep Roads (which I actually liked/like, btw) as a bunch of dwarves. That immediately makes the potential forces limited and fairly boring.

To be honest, the more I think about a turn-based BioWare game based on one of their properties, I'd kinda just prefer Mass Effect; with all the specifics classes it's ready made for small, potent squad combat featuring lots of scope for hybrids due to tech and biotic powers. Doing Dragon Age seems far trickier in terms of balancing melee and ranged gameplay.

Adam Jensen:

Well Fire Emblem and Xcom are 2 very different Games, I'd say there's room for a Dragon Age Tactices in the style of Fire Emblem and a Mass Effect Tactics in the style of Xcom

I could easily buy such a game. Turn based tactics games are fun, and Dragon Age would lend itself extremely well to such a system.

Willinium:

. . . . You know what I think that that would actually work rather well. You are a "Commander" of a battalion of the Legion of the Dead. You are sent out by King Aeducan to carve out some passages of the Deep roads to further contact with Kal-Shorak. However after a titan induced earthquake the passage behind you collapses. It is now a race for survival as you carve your way through the darkspawn horde to safety.

Well, in games like FFT, mages had decent range, but required time to cast the spell. During this time, the mage was extremely vulnerable. I'm pretty sure they took extra damage while casting, and they already had the lowest health in the game. On the other hand, spells could target multiple enemies, and some could even distinguish friend from foe.

Basically, Mages done right would need support from fighters to cast their spells.

Willinium:

You know, that actually sounds like a neat idea honestly. The Dwarves are criminally under-used in the Dragon Age universe for having a largely foreign culture as far as Dwarves in fantasy go. Add in some rogue-lite/like elements and I think that'd be a pretty interesting game.

But honestly, since it's Bioware, I don't trust them to get much other than writing down, and even that's more a "oh look, they're making references and think they're being subtle, how cute, c'mere little Jerry, that's how NOT to write for your state test" situation anymore.

I never played a Dragon Age game to give my opinion on this. But I'd be down for Mass Effect game in spirit of Fire Emblem and XCOM.

mysecondlife:
I never played a Dragon Age game to give my opinion on this. But I'd be down for Mass Effect game in spirit of Fire Emblem and XCOM.

Honestly I'm not sure it'd work with ME. I mean, if you want Mass Effect Xcom, just play modded Xcom. Also since Andromeda's annoucnement and ME3, I just don't really have any incentive for Mass Effect anything anymore. So fucking sick of Hale's voice.

Yeah, I could get behind that. The Dragon Age world is large enough that some FE/Xcom like games could work well in it.

Willinium:

Well, they could always split up the mage classes so you don't have one guy spamming massive AoE damage, debuffs, buffs, healing, tanking infinity damage and stunning everyone every turn.

They'd probably split up the other classes as well (i.e. Rogues would be Dual Wield or Archer), so having Mages be either Spirit Healers, Elementalists, Force Mages, etc. would be... well, it'd be a start towards balancing mages.

I'm not personally overwhelmed with the Dragon Age lore to dive into it headfirst anyways, but this seems like its a bit out of their strong zone. Strategy games tend to be very gameplay-first, story-somewhere behind a curtain poking its toe out to see if the waters wet.

Bioware conversely has always been fairly hefty on story (and individual characters, moreso then interchangeable units) first, and more "satisfactory" level gameplay ranging downward a fair amount of the time. Though being turn-based might stimulate them a bit, since they're sort of bogged in that tabletop style, which translates better to TB then RT.

Bobular:
I personally think there aren't enough Tactics games at the moment, and Dragon Age actually would lend its self quite well to this type of game.

As long as its done as a full game then I'm all for it and will look forward to seeing more.

This, hell I've said it for years that Mass Effect would fit PHENOMENALLY well in a turn based strategy RPG like XCOM with it's wealth of character classes, races and powers. I honestly would love to play a tactics game based on both ME and DA.

Wrex Brogan:
Yeah, I could get behind that. The Dragon Age world is large enough that some FE/Xcom like games could work well in it.

Willinium:

Well, they could always split up the mage classes so you don't have one guy spamming massive AoE damage, debuffs, buffs, healing, tanking infinity damage and stunning everyone every turn.

They'd probably split up the other classes as well (i.e. Rogues would be Dual Wield or Archer), so having Mages be either Spirit Healers, Elementalists, Force Mages, etc. would be... well, it'd be a start towards balancing mages.

They already did that come Inquisition really, with the skill trees, it would be easy to make a Generalist Mage with a smattering of all types of spells but without access to the most powerful spells down the line with limited leveling and skill points. To the quoted quote, where would the mages come from? Unless maybe you come across some Grey Wardens while you're trying to get back to city.

Watch as bioware includes a skinship function in their game and everyone applauds it for it...

But hell.. why not? I allways wanted to see a big name western developers take on SRPGs.. one of the last genres that japan had an allmost exclusive monopol on.

However Xcom i would not refer to as a strategic RPG. Its a turn based strategy game with light RPG like class progression system. There is no RPG to be had in that game.

It will be kinda fun, loved Vandalhearts and that sort of game. The theme should fit in pretty well.

Please just don't make any more Dragon Age games. Everything since one has been unworthy of Bioware

Aiddon:

Willinium:

Actually in Tactics games it's the melee that tend to snap the balance in half. The deadliest combination in FF Tactics was either giving a knight the dual wield ability or giving a ninja heavy armor. All those fancy spells don't mean much when you can just blitzkrieg the guy and turn him into goo before he's finished casting.

...I thought the Arithmetic was the most broken class in that game. What with the ability to cast spells instantly that affected who got hit based on math.

Yeah, and you could call it Dragon Age: Journeys... and.... oh, wait...

xaszatm:

Aiddon:

Willinium:

...I thought the Arithmetic was the most broken class in that game. What with the ability to cast spells instantly that affected who got hit based on math.

Yeah, it's been quite a while since I've played it, but I'm pretty certain the most busted "combo" in FFT was to show up with a party of Calculators (Arithmetics? Like I said, it's been a while) and wipe the entire enemy party before any of them got a second turn. Or a first, in some cases.

Seriously, if you looked through all the "height/character level/I forget but there were other options" choices and the number combinations, you could almost always find one that would end up casting Flare or something on like three-quarters of the enemy party. It was pretty absurd, honestly.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here