Warner Bros. Already Planning a Suicide Squad Sequel

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Warner Bros. Already Planning a Suicide Squad Sequel

Suicide Squad director David Ayer is already in talks to reteam with Will Smith for a sequel next year.

In an era of increasingly-bloated (both in cast and in budget), shared universe comic book movies, movie studios have become increasingly focused on not only finding the next blockbuster, but the next blockbuster franchise. It's simple economics, really; more movies equals more toys to sell, more cross-promotions with the all-new, fully-loaded Jeep Renegade, more exclusive pre-order Blu-ray combo packs, and so forth.

With a cast including such heavy-hitters as Will Smith and Jared Leto and a budget rumored to be north of 250 million dollars, David Ayer's Suicide Squad is a movie that clearly has franchise potential written all over it. So it shouldn't come as a shock that, some five months before it even hits theaters, we're already hearing rumblings of a probable sequel.

The news comes via The Wrap, who reported that Ayer and Smith would be teaming up in the fall to bring a "fantasy cop film" written by Max Landis to life -- that is, only if Ayer can fit the project in "before Warner Bros. brings him and Smith back for a planned "Suicide Squad" sequel in 2017."

Dubbed Bright, the supernatural thriller will see Smith "Set in a world where orcs and fairies live among humans...and boasts a unique protagonist in the form of an orc cop."

With Smith having just started filming "Collateral Beauty" for New Line and additionally being scheduled to shoot back-to-back Bad Boys sequels alongside Martin Lawrence, it is unknown whether this collaboration with Ayer will ever see the light of day before the inevitable Suicide Squad sequel begins filming.

Of course, all these plans will likely change if Suicide Squad happens to somehow bomb on August 5th, which...who am I kidding, that's not gonna happen.

Source: The Wrap

When will they learn? Oh well, I hope it's at least fun.

Well, Suicide Squad is a 50/50 movie right now (could be awesome, could be awful), so they may as well plan the sequel since it will make its money back.

So they're going for the Green Lantern route? Planning ahead for a sequel before the actual film come out. When it does come out and turns out to be shit, little by little forget that they says about making a sequel.

If Warner Bros. want a sequel I can't help but think they should be looking to get Jared Leto and Margot Robbie's signatures on the dotted line first. Those two have felt like this movie's MVPs from the get go, while Smith, at this point, feels almost like a liability.

Just how strong is he at the box office after the likes of After Earth? At this point it feels like Will Smith needs Suicide Squad more than Suicide Squad needs Will Smith.

For the geek audience at least - who are going to drive the online buzz in particular in the run up to and following release - this movie is going to live or die on Harley and the Joker, regardless of who actually has top billing.

Scarim Coral:
So they're going for the Green Lantern route? Planning ahead for a sequel before the actual film come out. When it does come out and turns out to be shit, little by little forget that they says about making a sequel.

I don't think there was much little by little with Green Lantern, so much as a wet splattery thumping sound as bricks were shat.

Given that the movie ends on a sequel hook (Sinestro no less!) they clearly weren't expecting anything less than a mega hit. On the plus side we got Deadpool as a direct consequence of Mr Reynolds no longer being tied into an ongoing contract.

Good trade I say.

Scarim Coral:

Are you even remotely surprised? This is the studio that announced an entire cinematic universe essentially on the back of a single movie yet to be released.

This is nothing. Hell, they say "planned," but that doesn't mean the first movie has sequel bait (though I would bet good money it does) or that Warner is the party planning it. The way it's written, it could just mean Ayer is hoping they'll pick up a second movie, one he's planning on making.

Also, in fairness to DC, if Hulk and Iron Man had bombed, we'd be mocking the "Avengers Project," too.

Is anyone surprised? Marvel has plans for films until at least the late 2020s. At least this is a sequel, so I can see the rationale for it. If anything, I'm interested in Bright though.

As for Will Smith, after seeing Concussion, I'm very interested in what he's doing nowadays, so there's that.

Sixcess:

Just how strong is he at the box office after the likes of After Earth? At this point it feels like Will Smith needs Suicide Squad more than Suicide Squad needs Will Smith.

Hell, this is probably why Smith is willing to put on a mask.

Hawki:
Is anyone surprised? Marvel has plans for films until at least the late 2020s. At least this is a sequel, so I can see the rationale for it. If anything, I'm interested in Bright though.

As for Will Smith, after seeing Concussion, I'm very interested in what he's doing nowadays, so there's that.

Marvel has plans out to 2020 on the back of a super successful franchise. They didn't announce the whole thing after Iron Man or Incredible Hulk in 2008. In fact, they didn't even sign up Nick Fur...Errr...Samuel L Jackson for the long run for another whole year after that point.

DC has announced ten movies up to 2020 based on the back of one moderately successful movie and the promise that their new franchise movie will be big bank.

With that number of cast you have to already be planning it.

Trailers still look slightly cheap at times, keeps worrying me. But I know alot of DC fan boys/girls dying for this to be good. We will see but this film should have been a 15/18(or R rated for those in the states) like Deadpool, think this film walks a very fine line to actually be good.

Something Amyss:

Hawki:

Marvel has plans out to 2020 on the back of a super successful franchise. They didn't announce the whole thing after Iron Man or Incredible Hulk in 2008. In fact, they didn't even sign up Nick Fur...Errr...Samuel L Jackson for the long run for another whole year after that point.

DC has announced ten movies up to 2020 based on the back of one moderately successful movie and the promise that their new franchise movie will be big bank.

Well that's because of two reasons first 2008's 'The Incredible Hulk' bombed and second Marvel was working and being financed with separate companies that may not have been interested in a unified universe.

Once Hulk bombed though and Universal who at the time where having a bad run realised they needed some money back on the licence fee they spent on Hulk after two bombs working with Paramount became more accepted then of course Disney stepped in and bought Marvel and paid off Paramount who only had a distribution licence rather than a licence to make films.

P-89 Scorpion:

Once Hulk bombed though and Universal who at the time where having a bad run realised they needed some money back on the licence fee they spent on Hulk after two bombs working with Paramount became more accepted then of course Disney stepped in and bought Marvel and paid off Paramount who only had a distribution licence rather than a licence to make films.

Actually Paramount and Disney simply allowed the contract to reach its end without having a new one be made, which is why Paramount distributed all Phase One movies even after the Disney buyout. Marvel's contract was for 6 movies distributed by Paramount with one that would be produced in cooperation with Universal.

Zontar:

P-89 Scorpion:

Actually Paramount and Disney simply allowed the contract to reach its end without having a new one be made, which is why Paramount distributed all Phase One movies even after the Disney buyout. Marvel's contract was for 6 movies distributed by Paramount with one that would be produced in cooperation with Universal.

Nope Paramount got a pay out that's why they are in the credits for the Avengers even though Disney distributed it.

Something Amyss:

Hawki:

Different scenarios. In theory, every MCU is able to stand on its own within the confines of its own namesake (not that that was ever true in reality). My point was that a "Sucide Squad 2" has more basis behind getting greenlit this early in that (in theory) it would be based on the context of its own predecessor rather than the DCEU as a whole.

The funny thing is WB wanted to do in a couple of years what Marvel spent nearly a decade on (the earliest plans for this were back when they were STARTING the ulitmate comics), and yet with all their failed attempts they have managed to waste a good decade on some pretty bad to passable movies.

They basically keep wanting to build a universe on the merits of one movie, ie the opposite of marvels "use a team of movies to build up to a huge event". Not a terrible idea, just flawed when you don't KNOW the quality of the core movie to build from.

Hawki:

I don't know what to make of Will Smith. He is a good actor when he wants to be. Look at Pursuit of Happiness, or, as you mentioned, Concussion. The problem is that his action movie roles have all felt... samey lately. When he started his career he was The Fresh Prince, and all of his action roles felt vibrant and energetic. He was cocky, but endearing. Now he's too serious, and has a scowl stuck to his face.

Compare this:

To this:

Will Smith is at his best when he doesn't take himself too seriously. I'm curious to see how he handles himself in this, as the straight man surrounded by a bunch of nutters.

All in all, I'm really excited for this movie. Some people will ignore it just because it's DC, but the actual trailer looked pretty good. I'm more excited for this then I am any of the new Marvel films.

*blinks* Now, admittedly, I haven't followed the comics that closely, but has Quinn even once degenerated into schizophrenic tendencies in the comics/cartoons?

P-89 Scorpion:

Well that's because of two reasons first 2008's 'The Incredible Hulk' bombed and second Marvel was working and being financed with separate companies that may not have been interested in a unified universe.

Of course, neither of those are actually true, so that's a pretty bad argument.

Hawki:

Different scenarios.

My point exactly. They're literally different scenarios, so bringing Marvel up was pointless.

Fox12:

Hawki:

I don't know what to make of Will Smith. He is a good actor when he wants to be. Look at Pursuit of Happiness, or, as you mentioned, Concussion. The problem is that his action movie roles have all felt... samey lately. When he started his career he was The Fresh Prince, and all of his action roles felt vibrant and energetic. He was cocky, but endearing. Now he's too serious, and has a scowl stuck to his face.

Compare this:

To this:

Will Smith is at his best when he doesn't take himself too seriously. I'm curious to see how he handles himself in this, as the straight man surrounded by a bunch of nutters.

All in all, I'm really excited for this movie. Some people will ignore it just because it's DC, but the actual trailer looked pretty good. I'm more excited for this then I am any of the new Marvel films.

I think those examples say more about the movies themselves then Will Smith specifically.

Independence Day and Men in Black are humorous, whether intentionally (MiB) or Independence Day (cheese). Hancock and Suicide Squad (as far as I can tell) seem to have elements of humour, but Hancock was, at least as much as I saw of it, had far more sombre undertones, and Suicide Squad is still based around a...well, suicide squad. We've seen him wisecracking in the trailers a fair amount, but I'm not sure how much resemblance it can be said to have to those other films.

Whether Will Smith can pull off the "cocky guy" character would require comparing something like MiB3 to its predecessors, since it's the same actor playing the same character. Haven't seen MiB3 - have seen Focus though, and he played a cocky con-man character well enough in that.

What is it with WB counting all their chickens before they have hatched?

On a side note, Will Smith in a movie set in the modern day about orcs and fae? SHADOWRUN MOVIE CONFIRMED.

Something Amyss:

P-89 Scorpion:

The Incredible Hulk 2008 (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=incrediblehulk.htm) $263 million world wide box office on a $150 million budget it lost money that's why there was no sequel.

This feels less like a GotG/Deadpool "well we've seen the review and have already constructed an addition to the money chamber" move than "oh god please see this movie we've got nothing else. You like this stuff right? RIGHT?!"

See: Green Lantern, Fan-four-tastic

Scarim Coral:

Well making plans for a sequel isn't that big of a deal in my opinion. Comic book movies have a pretty good track record for being successful. Sure it's not 100%, but I think well over 90% of the ones made are profitable. And with Deadpool showing that comic movies don't have to be Kid Friendly, it's likely that this one will attract a similar crowd, likely in enough quantity to make a profit. So sure, why not at least plan for a sequel. Talk to the actors ahead of time and see if they will be willing/available at the time. Speak to producers to get at least some preliminary ideas on funding, etc. Seems perfectly reasonable. Now if "planning" included "we're already building sets" and other such stuff, then yeah, that's going a bit far.

P-89 Scorpion:

Something Amyss:

P-89 Scorpion:

The Incredible Hulk 2008 (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=incrediblehulk.htm) $263 million world wide box office on a $150 million budget it lost money that's why there was no sequel.

....ok not sure if you mixed up your numbers, but the way you stated those figures, it looks like Hulk almost doubled it's budget, which is the opposite of "lost money", that's making a profit.

P-89 Scorpion:

I note you left the budget out of that.

Happyninja42:

....ok not sure if you mixed up your numbers, but the way you stated those figures, it looks like Hulk almost doubled it's budget, which is the opposite of "lost money", that's making a profit.

Nope. On a 150 million dollar budget, it made 263 million worldwide. It looks like the movie almost doubled its budget because it did.

Meanwhile, you have ten movies announced on the back of a movie with a larger budget that did 66 million above production cost.

MCerberus:
This feels less like a GotG/Deadpool "well we've seen the review and have already constructed an addition to the money chamber" move than "oh god please see this movie we've got nothing else. You like this stuff right? RIGHT?!"

Well, nothing else but Superman/Batman, MOS2, Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Cyborg, SHAZAM, two Justice League movies, and a rumoured Batfleck movie. Did I leave anything out?

Not sure where the desperation implication comes in.

Something Amyss:

P-89 Scorpion:

I note you left the budget out of that.

What? the budget is right there $150 million the film world wide gross is $263 million after the 50-60% the theatre chains take out the studio received less than then $150 million they spent making the film not to mention what ever the marketing/distribution budget was.

Happyninja42:

P-89 Scorpion:

The film cost the studio $150 million

The film brought in $263 million world wide

The theatre chains take 50-60%

The studio saw at best a return of $132 million

The studio lost money

P-89 Scorpion:

What? the budget is right there $150 million the film world wide gross is $263 million after the 50-60% the theatre chains take out the studio received less than then $150 million they spent making the film not to mention what ever the marketing/distribution budget was.

And then the point remains that Man of Steel would have lost significantly more, having earned half the amount over its budget Hulk did, and ten films were announced on its back.

Your argument is special pleading, even if we ignore the asspulled mathematics you're adding to the equation after the fact. Apples to apples, Superman was a bigger loss.

Something Amyss:

And then the point remains that Man of Steel would have lost significantly more, having earned half the amount over its budget Hulk did, and ten films were announced on its back.

Your argument is special pleading, even if we ignore the asspulled mathematics you're adding to the equation after the fact. Apples to apples, Superman was a bigger loss.

What? what asspulled mathematics? go look it up.

And how did Man of Steel have a loss? $225 million budget and world wide gross of $668 million.

Wh... Suicide SPOILER ALERT!! Damn!

And here I thought everyone was gonna die because it's called "SUICIDE Squad". :c WAFL

All I have to say is "so?" Let them make a sequel; Hollywood wastes money all the time

P-89 Scorpion:

Happyninja42:

P-89 Scorpion:

The film cost the studio $150 million

The film brought in $263 million world wide

The theatre chains take 50-60%

The studio saw at best a return of $132 million

The studio lost money

Theaters do not take 50-60%, at best they get 80% of a single ticket sale about 6 weeks into a movies run, which is basically nothing. Usually when movies open (when they make all their money), theaters get barely anything, and if it is a bigger release like Star Wars or a Marvel movie, they may get 0% per ticket sale during opening weekend. The reason concessions are so expensive is because that is the only way they make any real money to keep existing. Now, the budget does not include marketing, which DOES cut into revenue of the movie, but theaters are constantly abused by Hollywood, and don't cut into their revenue at all.

Also, as for the Hulk, the rights are tied up in a weird way where Marvel is not allowed to make a solo Hulk movie, which also prevents a sequel from happening. :/ It has little to do with how much the first movie made (which isn't that good, obviously compared to the rest of the Marvel films.)

Orga777:

Theaters do not take 50-60%, at best they get 80% of a single ticket sale about 6 weeks into a movies run, which is basically nothing. Usually when movies open (when they make all their money), theaters get barely anything, and if it is a bigger release like Star Wars or a Marvel movie, they may get 0% per ticket sale during opening weekend. The reason concessions are so expensive is because that is the only way they make any real money to keep existing. Now, the budget does not include marketing, which DOES cut into revenue of the movie, but theaters are constantly abused by Hollywood, and don't cut into their revenue at all.

Also, as for the Hulk, the rights are tied up in a weird way where Marvel is not allowed to make a solo Hulk movie, which also prevents a sequel from happening. :/ It has little to do with how much the first movie made (which isn't that good, obviously compared to the rest of the Marvel films.)

BWAHAHAHAHAHA

I don't know where you got that information but it's wrong especially in non US cinema's.

JaredJones:
Dubbed Bright, the supernatural thriller will see Smith "Set in a world where orcs and fairies live among humans...and boasts a unique protagonist in the form of an orc cop."

Shadowrun would like a word.

But I'll keep an eye out anyway.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook