Explore These No Man's Sky Facts Ahead of the Game's Release

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Explore These No Man's Sky Facts Ahead of the Game's Release

To get prepared for No Man's Sky's upcoming release, check out these five facts on the space-exploration title.

No Man's Sky comes out on the 21st of June, and it is going to be huge. Whether you are craving every quantum of information you can get on this massive space exploration game, or are yet to be convinced of its potential, you need to check out these awesome facts about the game's development.

User ShadowWolf9891 shared these on Imgur:

England-based developers Hello Games have previously made the delightful Joe Danger titles, which has me totally convinced we'll be using mini dirt bikes in our exploration of uncharted, alien worlds. No Man's Sky is coming to PS4 and PC.

You really need to admire how hard they're trying not to tell us anything. "This game has tons of stuff! here's some numbers" but how does it play, maaaan?

I'm looking forward to this, don't get me wrong, but the game seems so scary right now because of what they're just not talking about.

Fact: Every species will be named Dicks.

Ahh, I wasn't feeling sufficiently advertised to yet. This fixed me right up.

not saying these aren't impressive nor the game won't be impressive...

but is it just going to be a literal sandbox universe simulator? I have no interest in the game if it's just that, I need shit to do, and hopefully the pc version will be mod friendly to spice up the game if that is the case. These facts don't really mean shit by themselves, I share the same skepticism I did when the witcher 3 was boasting about its size and scope, thankfully the game had enough quality content to back it up.

I really wish they'd stop telling us how unique these planets are in obscure mathematical terms and actually bloody show us something... and all of those facts say the same thing "it has a huge number of procedurally generated worlds".

The Antarctic probably has 18 billion billion unique snow flakes but it's still all white and cold!

Proceduary generated, does not mean interesting or fun. It just means your using the same assets over and over again in a different randomly selected sequence. If you cant tell I dont have high hopes for this.

What they fail to tell you is that due to the procedural generation, you'll likely see every mixture of pre-created assets and textures within your first three or so days of playing, and that's optimistic. I'm still willing to give the game a look as long as it really does emulate the scale of its universe as well as it claims, but making this a day one purchase is asking for disappointment.

If only its developers had more confidence in literally any aspect of the game other than its size and mathematically generated 'stuff.'

So... That's an unsigned 64 bit integer. Basically you can wrap each of those planets down to 64 things which you can say are true or false. Or, say, 16 things each on a scale of 1-16. If the latter (and it's just an example but it's probably not far from the truth) then you could see everything the game has to offer in as little as 16 planets; the rest of the variation is just combinations.

Oooo, 16. ;) Doesn't sound so huge now, does it?

It's impressive and I WANT this game to be good, but I'm going to need something to go on, like a solid hour of gameplay. They're asking for sixty bucks, not saying they shouldn't, but when you ask for sixty dollars I expect the end result to be worth sixty dollars.

zidine100:
Proceduary generated, does not mean interesting or fun. It just means your using the same assets over and over again in a different randomly selected sequence. If you cant tell I dont have high hopes for this.

And I can't blame you, most games I've played that are based around something procedurally generated ended up being incredibly shallow and my biggest fear currently with No Man's Sky is exactly that. Them being very tight lipped about anything other than "kajillions of planets guys!1!!1!" doesn't help.

Fingers crossed though, Shadow of Mordor was the first game for me to show the potential of games like this and with current tech No Mans Sky can reach some high points

I'm in agreement with all these fine folks, the amount of times I've been told how it works equals the number of planets in the game.

What I want to know is, what do I do!? Some smart arse on youtube said "get to the middle" ok then what? I can name planets and animals but so what? I name real world animals anything I want but it's not exactly a thrill.

At the moment it's being very vague, like describing dragon age as "complete the story" and "you can walk". Tell me the cool shit, tell me I can have epic battles with massive dragons, the cool spells, the banter etc.

I just haven't seen the cool bits that encourage me to keep playing.

If i can't swoop down onto an unsuspecting planet inhabitd by sentient steaks of delicious meat and enslave them through religious propaganda to worship the gods; gravy and roast spuds...conditioning them to feel obliged to jump onto my plate, eager for consumption...i will be severely disappointed, Hello Games and Sean Murray, you weirdly endearing grinning frontman. Law of averages and such.

gmaverick019:
not saying these aren't impressive nor the game won't be impressive...

but is it just going to be a literal sandbox universe simulator? I have no interest in the game if it's just that, I need shit to do, and hopefully the pc version will be mod friendly to spice up the game if that is the case. These facts don't really mean shit by themselves, I share the same skepticism I did when the witcher 3 was boasting about its size and scope, thankfully the game had enough quality content to back it up.

This reminds me more of the hype leading up to the release of Spore. The ideal, hypothetical game that the advertisements and articles have enticed us to anticipate will make whatever (hopefully decent) version is produced seem underwhelming in comparison.

This might all sound great. Ya know, big numbers.
But then you realize, they actually went for quantity over quality. They are bragging that they have a lot of random stuff. It's like Minecraft bragging that it has practically infinite different worlds. Wow, huge amount of the same shit.
Instead of the 19 something billion same-ish planets, I would be happy with 3 hand made planets with interesting stuff to see.

Also you made a mistake in the title. It says "facts" as in plural instead of "fact" as singular. All the images are the same 1 fact. It's a big universe.

I have a huge interest in Space & Sci-Fi Games so I heard about this game very early on.
I've still not come to any conclusion as to what it's about or what you do in it..at all.

Which is not increasing my hype, but rather pushing me away and making me think they are hiding all kinds of flaws.

Give me a solid 4X games (of which several are now releasing and will soon be released) or some third person Space-Sim instead (screw Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen for being cockpit only and online).

Still, I do nurture a small hope that it will be something good in the end.
A small hope dosed with a lot of cynicism.

Sweet, can't wait to fly around in that shit. Then again I knew that already. Nothing this imgur guy put online is really anything new.

Also, not only is the music procedural generated, it's made from stuff from one of my favourite post-rock bands, 65daysofstatic. That's going to help to get my mood for it in order.

It's odd though, are people in this thread thinking this is actual Hello Games promotional material? Because this is just some guy on imgur, not Hello Games. Not sure why this is even an article, to be honest. It's old stuff we've known for a while now.

Pyrian:
Or, say, 16 things each on a scale of 1-16. If the latter (and it's just an example but it's probably not far from the truth) then you could see everything the game has to offer in as little as 16 planets; the rest of the variation is just combinations.

Oooo, 16. ;) Doesn't sound so huge now, does it?

That's not really representing it well. I mean sure you'll have a ton of rocky planets, a ton of planets with tree-analogues, or whathaveyou. But it's the myriad of combinations that give us that variation. So saying 16 isn't exactly fair. It's not exactly 'just' variations. I mean just look at how logic itself works. A small number of schematic letters and connectors produce infinite combinations. That shit's pretty bitchin'.

It's mostly creature variation I'm curious about at this point.

omega 616:

What I want to know is, what do I do!?

For some people, like me, it's about the exploration itself. It's why I play stuff like Fallout or WoW for instance. Most of my time in those games I spent roaming around. This basically, hopefully, is going to fill that niche and then some.

Blitsie:
[Them being very tight lipped about anything other than "kajillions of planets guys!1!!1!" doesn't help.

That's not really the case. There's been multiple of alpha play sessions on various outlets by now. The lots-a-planets shtick is getting a little old though.

Stunning the sheer numbers of what's going on in this game is truly stunning but what's also truly stunning is what the hell the game is about, what is it exactly that you do? I mean if this is some EVE style game where we could end up with vast groups of people teaming up to building, ship, fight and generally seeing how many, worlds, plants and creatures they can name after phallic referencing words then fine but so far the game seems to just show people mooching around, I mean yes you can go to a place and discover it and name it and then what? If their is a limit to the amount of stuff and things you can name then their is a point since being the first to find the world makes it an exclusives thing, others that follow will know that you really like blue badger balls but when you have potentially 18 billion billion worlds then the wonder of finding somewhere and naming it South Facing Gangplank Cock looses some of it's luster and awe when it means that not only is their more than enough worlds for others to find and name after funny everyday objects with willy names after them but the chances that any one else will actually see your world and it's oh so comical name are slim.

Cowabungaa:
snip

Except fallout and WOW have quests and things to do, it's great you get your kicks by walking but I would say the majority of people need more to latch on to.

I need to know what the game play is going to be like. Exploring is fun and all but it needs a point or this will fade away into the bargain bin within a month.

I enjoy exploring virtual spaces so as long as I can hunt, fly around, explore and find interesting things I don't care so much about 'what you do' in the game, i.e. quests or stories or missions. I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed in this game because it won't be what they expect.

From what I can see No Mans Sky is an evolution of old space exploration sims like Noctis, which has a very similar premise. You just explore and expand and discover in a functionally infinite procedurally generated universe. Not everyone's cup of tea, which is why I think a lot of people will feel let down.

omega 616:

Cowabungaa:
snip

Except fallout and WOW have quests and things to do, it's great you get your kicks by walking but I would say the majority of people need more to latch on to.

Well what I meant to say is that I happily spent time ignoring those and just wandered around at random. Maybe you're right that 'explorer-types' are a minority, so maybe this'll be a niche game. I'd be okay with that.

Yeah ok, Minecraft is also procedurally generated, it's nothing new. Same thing as Borderlands advertising that it has a trillion gazillion guns or whatever, yes they're just random stats and colors placed on a few templates. Yeah, you add +1 damage or fire rate - new gun! I couldn't care less. In terms of Minecraft, I found the news about the new biomes, animals, enemies and stuff to do more interesting than how infinitely large the world could be.

Still don't know jack about what you actually do among all those 18 billion BILLION planets.

From what I have read on the wiki page it has no single player campaign, and is one of those structure-less sandbox games (Minecraft [not counting the Telltale game], Ark, etc) where the player just wanders around doing random stuff. I liked the look of this game, and how it worked. But after reading this, I am bored of it.

zidine100:

Not that this guarantees it won't be interesting either, but what really annoys me is the constant 'hype point' about how many planets there are. Billions of billions.

I mean, sure, but have you ever played a game with randomly generated levels? Be it your Diablo Dungeons or an RTS map, it's generated with logic and math. Same shit, yet you don't see them going about claiming that there's 'quintillions of maps!', because while true, it's meaningless. You have a system that can generate environments from a seed. Great.

At best, it sure as hell goes back to your original point. You're damn well going to stop seeing worthwhile new content long before the billionth planet. I'll be impressed enough if they can break into dozens and still have things interesting.

zidine100:

Pretty much this. Procedurally generated games are fine, but the mechanics need to allow for such longevity to actually translate to long periods of fun. Minecraft makes it work because exploring for resources is part of the fun, as is collecting new resources.

Dungeon games are also good at it because they're games that are driven by their mechanics being enjoyable in themselves.

Xsjadoblayde:
If i can't swoop down onto an unsuspecting planet inhabitd by sentient steaks of delicious meat and enslave them through religious propaganda to worship the gods; gravy and roast spuds...conditioning them to feel obliged to jump onto my plate, eager for consumption...i will be severely disappointed, Hello Games and Sean Murray, you weirdly endearing grinning frontman. Law of averages and such.

I can't help but feel your avatar makes your post make so much sense.

To those wondering what you actually do in this game, the devs have actually (reluctantly at times) revealed what the core gameplay loop will be like:

• travel through the procedurally generated space and planets
  • fight in space and on land
  • harvest resources from planets
  • upgrade your ship and weapons to do the above more effectively
  • continue until you stop dicking around and reach the center of the universe

• Funnily enough, the lead designer said, in jest, that his game may be seen as "Minecraft in Space" if he revealed too much information, but given their tight-lipped nature and the little information they gave, what we have so far is going to be "Minecraft in Space" but without building neat stuff. For a full-price release? I'm not sure that's worth it. I'd like to see more of the game, but it doesn't seem like the devs want to show us anything.

Plus, those preorder bonuses - especially the Gamestop ones - are really turning me away from the game.

Not that this doesn't look pretty and interesting, but a lot it sounds like a 3D version of Starbound, which was Terreria in SPACE! which itself was 2d/16 bit Minecraft.

Though Starbound kind of has an overarching plot and gating quests. The big thing it doesn't have I see here is space combat. However, I'd be happy to be proven wrong and find out it's a lot more then that.

You know what I think I may be the only person on earth with reasonable expectations for this game.(I also realized this made me sound a bit like a prick)

That being "this game will be the unofficial sequel to 'Noctis' and I will be able to fly around and walk on planets" If anybody hasn't played Noctis its basically a game programmed in DOS with a procedural universe that you could explore. It wasn't hugely diverse or anything but there was enough stuff there that you got really excited when you found a planet with life on it.

Size of an ocean, depth of a kiddie-pool.

Objectable:
    Fact: Every species will be named Dicks.

Also this.

Yes, it's big and uses procedural generation. We've known this for a long time. I'm getting more and more worried about this game since we keep getting surface details. I'm beginning to think that there will be several systems in place to provide a very basic sandbox experience and the main selling point of the game is just going to be "look at how many places you can go and see". They say unique, but I'm quite doubtful about that as well. Across the huge number of planets, I bet a ton of them are going to look quite similar. It wouldn't surprise me if there was only about 5 different distinct looks that end up having slight variations across the galaxy.

The only problem I can foresee is that having so many variables and things to see, the goal of the game would probably be just get forgotten whilst you explore one or maybe 2 systems. If there are too many requirements to do things (like elements for gear/weapon and ship upgrades) you will have to spend a lot of time farming stuff before really achieving anything, while the game does intrigue me , I am really not sure it is the sort of game I would enjoy.

Yeah RNG, makes for impressive numbers but it really never results in impressive content. I have no doubt they have endless variations of stuff, but stuff without interesting context is just clutter.
    I do know some people can be swept away with huge amounts of samey content, I've been down this road too many times however, doesn't yield entertainment for me any more.

No Man's Sky; AA production values, indie content, AAA price.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
    With Facebook:Login With Facebook
    or
    Username:  
    Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
    Register With Facebook
    Register With Facebook
    or
    Register for a free account here