Blizzard to Remove "Sexy" Tracer Pose in Overwatch - Update

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 16 NEXT

Blizzard to Remove "Sexy" Tracer Pose in Overwatch - Update

tracer over the shoulder

Blizzard has responded to controversy surrounding a victory pose from Overwatch's Tracer.

Update: Jeff Kaplan has clarified his earlier statement:

While I stand by my previous comment, I realize I should have been more clear. As the game director, I have final creative say over what does or does not go into the game. With this particular decision, it was an easy one to make-not just for me, but for the art team as well ... We wouldn't do anything to sacrifice our creative vision for Overwatch, and we're not going to remove something solely because someone may take issue with it.

You can read his full statement here.

Original Story: A few days ago on the Blizzard forums, a post was made by a user named "Fipps". The user praised Overwatch's female cast of heroes, but was critical about a particular in-game pose by Tracer. It's recommended that you give the entire thing a read for yourself to understand the topic.

"So I wanted to start off by saying, I think the development team has done a pretty great job with the cast of female hero's in Overwatch. They are diverse, interesting, and compelling. From Mei to Zarya to Widowmaker the female cast reflects a large spectrum of personalities and player fantasies," Fipps stated.

Fipps first complimented Blizzard on what they thought the team did right. But later in the post, Fipps says "Then out of seemingly no where we have this pose," linking to this image.

Fipps talks about this aspect of one hero of Overwatch for the rest of the post, arguing that Tracer's pose reduces her to a "female sex symbol" symbolically. "What I'm asking is that as you continue to add to the Overwatch cast and investment elements, you double down on your commitment to create strong female characters. You've been doing a good job so far, but shipping with a tracer pose like this undermines so much of the good you've already done," Fipps said in closing.

Today, the thread received a response from the Game Director for Overwatch, Jeff Kaplan. "We'll replace the pose. We want everyone to feel strong and heroic in our community. The last thing we want to do is make someone feel uncomfortable, under-appreciated or misrepresented. Apologies and we'll continue to try to do better."

This responsive decision by a game developer is one in a series of recent controversies. Last November, a slap animation was removed from R. Mika in Street Fighter V, and in January of this year it was discovered that a petting mini-game was one of many localization changes made for the Western release of Fire Emblem Fates.

Overwatch's customization system is optional, and the cosmetic rewards aren't a mandatory feature. When leveling up your character, you earn loot boxes that have an array of skins, sprays, victory poses, and voice emotes options that you can acquire.

Source: Original Post
Response

Cue the cries of "censorship" and "SJWs ruin everything" (which, naturally, wouldn't occur if we were talking about something like a male character thrusting his ass at the camera) in 3, 2, 1....

Seems fair. The pose is still very much in game for other characters both male and female, it's just being changed because it was pointed out that it doesn't fit Tracer's character.

Did she really just trot out the "think of the/my children" argument? Is she a 40-something bible thumping mom or what?

That pose is super tame, what the hell is even wrong with it? The amount of characterisation being read into it seems like a mental masturbation excersise, not a reasonable argument being made.

On one hand I really don't care about a single pose being removed from the game

On the other hand having looked at the pose I have to say, really? That pose is hilariously tame

I'm just in a run for my life now. I know where this shit goes

You also have male characters thrusting their ass in to the camera with the same pose.
Oddly i don't hear "think of the children" for these.

All I can think of looking at that image:

Wait, I'm confused. Is the pose character specific or is it a general pose available for all the characters to employ?

No more guys acting macho either. That's offensive to me.

If Deviantart has taught me anything, it's that you can't stop the sexy...

I don't...whatever, I don't really care too much, but frankly I do think its stupid to remove a pose, I mean seriously? If you don't like the pose don't bloody use it, we are now in a situation where one person has resulted in a change that has effected tons of other players that have now had their game changed

The Rogue Wolf:
Cue the cries of "censorship" and "SJWs ruin everything" (which, naturally, wouldn't occur if we were talking about something like a male character thrusting his ass at the camera) in 3, 2, 1....

I honestly think that probably sums up the argument of people against having it there. Also literally every other thing Blizzard has done having something MUCH more risque than something as innocent as the Tracer thing somehow passing muster for those with that mindset.

Kajin:
Wait, I'm confused. Is the pose character specific or is it a general pose available for all the characters to employ?

from the looks of these photos in this spoiler tag it appears to be a generic stance.

Isn't the taunt optional? What if I find Hanzo's left nipple out of place? Should that too be removed? What about Roadhog's belly? Replace it with the purple-black missing texture?
The entire thing just seems like a successful trolling.

Nick Monroe:
"We want everyone to feel strong and heroic in our community. The last thing we want to do is make someone feel uncomfortable, under-appreciated or misrepresented. Apologies and we'll continue to try to do better."

The correct response here would have been to do nothing, since I sincerely doubt that this pose offended a significant number of people, and they probably would've bought the game anyway.

Now they've gone and made the people who like this sort of thing feel "under-appreciated." All they had to do to avoid disturbing this particular hornet's nest was to do nothing.

It was stupid and completely unnecessary, and now they're gonna get called out on it.

And yet they wont listen to people about removing Macro Mechanics in Starcraft 2.

Corven:

Kajin:

from the looks of these photos in this spoiler tag it appears to be a generic stance.

They're character specific, but several characters have 'over the shoulder' poses, if that makes sense.

Personally, I don't like the stance. Not because OMG buttocks, but because it's boring.
It's still an utterly ridiculous reason to remove it, though. If the fella's kid is that young that 'sexy butts' are going to damage their baby brain, they shouldn't be playing a game filled with murderous mercenaries shooting each other in the face.

Yeah, TBH, this feels ridiculous. Hardly a 'sexy' stance, its a generic victory stance for all characters. Hell the pose itself isn't even intending to be sexual, as other posters in that thread pointed out, its a generic 'shoulder check yep got them' sort of pose. The reason its called out for being sexual, is because the character has a toned ass. And honestly, that's a more worrying attitude than that the character would be in that pose, to be quite honest.
Overall, it seems ridiculous. But, W/E. That's the internet for you. Considering its optional, and both that poster and others noted that there were worse poses and characters, it just seems silly to ask for it removed, on top of how ridiculous the statement itself is.

Honestly, its not like I care, I don't even play the game, but... This whole thing seems silly, and honestly sounds like it'll do more harm than good to women in the eyes of society - women with nice bodies can't be fun and cool, they'll always be seen as sexual and have to conform to other's standards of acceptability simply because of how they look. Probably not the message the poster wanted to send, but when Blizzard remove a non-sexy pose from a character for being 'too sexy', when other characters have the same pose and its acceptable either because they aren't as good looking, or because they're overtly 'sexualised' according to that poster... That's the message it sends, and that's stupid.

Oh no, shield your virgin eyes from the sight of butt.
The only thing that really ticks me off here is

She argues that Tracer's pose reduces her to a "female sex symbol" symbolically

You see something slightly sexually suggestive and you decry the character as a sex symbol, that's just silly.

That said, I don't play Overwatch and am sure you could come up with a pose that better fits the character, unless that pose is supposed to fit her, in which case more power to ya.

Oh, I can tell that this isn't going to go over well. The comment section is probably going to get ugly soon.

*hides in bunker*

*Sigh* I remember when developers could change things without forums blowing up over it.

Those were good times.

At first I was more or less okay with removing it, since fair enough if not everyone wants their mutant character to shove their ridiculously proportioned body at the camera, until I found out these are apparently optional poses that can be changed. Why exactly is it being removed? Why not simply switch to another pose? Or is it just the thought that the pose exists, somewhere, harming the character in some non specific way.

Nick Monroe:
"We want everyone to feel strong and heroic in our community. The last thing we want to do is make someone feel uncomfortable, under-appreciated or misrepresented."

Who is "tracer"? Who are you "misrepresenting"?
Will you remove winston too? Many people feel uncomfortable around "furries".
And what about torbjorn, the idea that dwarves are a sepparate "race" rather than just people is really offensive to little pople.

And how about you please remove kerrigan from starcraft 2, you completely butchered her character and made anyone who cared about starcraft uncomfortable by turning her into space jesus.
You know, while we're on the topic of "misrepresentation", you clowns.

What a load of gibberish.

Redryhno:

The Rogue Wolf:

I honestly think that probably sums up the argument of people against having it there. Also literally every other thing Blizzard has done having something MUCH more risque than something as innocent as the Tracer thing somehow passing muster for those with that mindset.

Yeah, I just don't get the point of making a stand on this one. Dang near all the art with Tracer on it has her twisting her ass into the frame in one way or another already. Which is a shame, since I think Tracer has a really cool overall design and tone to her. She was already designed to be attractive and had a cute accent, the ass-shots just seem kind of extraneous and sad most of the time.

Then again, it's Blizzard. Barring a handful of exceptions, most of their female character designs are awful. Boob-plates, exposed midriffs, non-armor on characters who are supposed to be badass warriors, warrior-women wearing high-heels, and so on. I like Blizzard's games well enough, don't get me wrong, but they really have trouble designing a women to fit any role other than cheesecake.

That's part of the reason I liked Tracer's design to begin with. She's in a form-fitting sort of skinsuit, sure, but it's not like she's spilling out of her clothes or anything. Her build is also decidedly lanky, and petite, and non-curvy too. Which is a nice change.

Oh well, there's still Mei at least.
:D

Meh. I don't see the problem, but if Blizz wants to avoid any potential PR kerfluffle, I guess that is their prerogative. I don't find it as bad as some things I've seen, and in context with the other poses in-game, its no big deal. Plus the game is fairly fast paced and you only see a few characters in pose form at the beginning and end of rounds. As I said at the start, meh.

Oh look. Somebody gave a mouse a cookie.

Aerosteam:
All I can think of looking at that image:

I thought the same thing too.

erttheking:
*Sigh* I remember when developers could change things without forums blowing up over it.

Those were good times.

Nope. It just used to be that back then we called changes "stupid" instead of "censorship". I don't know about you but I never switched over to the "censorship" stuff. Actually, I switched from it after having conversations with artists. Funny, listening to actual artists just made me look at their decisions in terms of positive or detrimental towards their goal instead of a free speech vs censorship battle for the developer's soul.

I'm going to be honest I'm loving some of the responses on their forums from the "I'm offended you're offended" crowd:

This is truly a sad day. A minority of misinformed and professional "offense-takers" successfully imposed their ridiculous opinions on the rest of us. For those of you that don't know, this is called Fascism, and it destroys creative freedom and individual expression. Unlike their arguments about that harmless, flirty pose from a stylized fantasy game, this is not a joke. This is a serious matter. This is a form of actual terrorism, and anyone who understands the real meaning of terrorism will know why.

What has the world come to where harmless artistic expression is BULLIED into being removed from a beautiful piece of entertainment because a few immature, politically correct, fascist, cry baby social justice warriors mistakenly identified this non-issue as a serious problem? Are you KIDDING ME?!?!?

Blizzard, where is your integrity? How could you let a tiny minority of pretentious, useless moral warriors bully you into changing a 100% harmless element of your incredible game? Stand up for what is right. They are literally just another form of terrorists. They cry and make threats to impose their ridiculous tastes on others. I DON'T LIKE IT SO NEITHER CAN YOU!!! It's YOUR creation. Do with it what YOU want to do, not what they impose. What executive so easily caved to such a ridiculous argument? I am seriously shocked and saddened that you let these horrible people have any effect on your beautiful game. For the sake of free creativity, artistic expression and integrity, put the pose you created back in, and do it proudly.

Glorious. Having an opinion different from the apparent majority is now considered terrorism. Creators should have control of their work, but if they choose to do something then apparently that doesn't count.

Fucking ruined!

Pre-order cancelled!

Blizzard have sold out to the moral crusader virgin SJW feminazi marxists! The terrorists have won!

#BlizzardBringBacktheButt

Seriously though? Eh, whatever. I wasn't a huge fan of the look-at-my-butt poses myself, but I laughed at them and moved on. (A bunch of characters have them. Yes, mostly the females. Some males too, but they're not wearing skin tight trousers. Mcree has one where he's basically framing his junk for the camera, so... fair play I guess?)

Now I'm going to read through that Blizzard thread so I can harvest my weekly ration of sweet, salty gamer tears. Funny how "legit" complaints are totally cool feedback that must be listened to and acted upon while something like this is a violation of Blizzard's artistic freedom.

Corven:

Kajin:

I dunno about you but I'd call those menacing whereas Tracer's seemed playful. First of all, she's smiling. She's got more pop in her hips too and, at least to me, is not standing tall like McCree or Widowmaker there. Furthermore they're doing different things with the arms. Everybody you showed has their arms straight down to compliment their stature while Tracer seems like she's borderline shrugging her shoulders. Now, I don't really see Tracer's pose as sexual but its clearly not identical to any of the four you just posted. The similarity begins and ends at them overlooking their shoulder, while they have clearly different body language going on. Hell, I don't even see Tracer's pose as sexualized but her playful demeanour lends far more towards sexualization than half-naked Widowmaker's pose that exudes dominance and violence.

Oh noes, a woman showed a little sass. Let's twist it around and make it a thing.

Pluvia:
I'm going to be honest I'm loving some of the responses on their forums from the "I'm offended you're offended" crowd:

This is truly a sad day. A minority of misinformed and professional "offense-takers" successfully imposed their ridiculous opinions on the rest of us. For those of you that don't know, this is called Fascism, and it destroys creative freedom and individual expression. Unlike their arguments about that harmless, flirty pose from a stylized fantasy game, this is not a joke. This is a serious matter. This is a form of actual terrorism, and anyone who understands the real meaning of terrorism will know why.

What has the world come to where harmless artistic expression is BULLIED into being removed from a beautiful piece of entertainment because a few immature, politically correct, fascist, cry baby social justice warriors mistakenly identified this non-issue as a serious problem? Are you KIDDING ME?!?!?

Blizzard, where is your integrity? How could you let a tiny minority of pretentious, useless moral warriors bully you into changing a 100% harmless element of your incredible game? Stand up for what is right. They are literally just another form of terrorists. They cry and make threats to impose their ridiculous tastes on others. I DON'T LIKE IT SO NEITHER CAN YOU!!! It's YOUR creation. Do with it what YOU want to do, not what they impose. What executive so easily caved to such a ridiculous argument? I am seriously shocked and saddened that you let these horrible people have any effect on your beautiful game. For the sake of free creativity, artistic expression and integrity, put the pose you created back in, and do it proudly.

Glorious. Having an opinion different from the apparent majority is now considered terrorism. Creators should have control of their work, but if they choose to do something then apparently that doesn't count.

One person, a customer mind you, stating an opinion calmly and rationally on the developer forums that is free of personal attacks and gives high praise to the game is now "bullying".

You know what I find to be the most funny? Many of the very people who complain about companies being "bullied" are the first ones to line up against anti-bullying policies on social media. Private social media, of course. Heaven forbid social media do something about a user sending death threats to their customers. Whats next, Wal-Mart is restricting freedom of expression by kicking out the dude who is threatening to beat up anybody who tries to get into the outdoor recreation aisle?

Am I the only one who remembers when bullies used to punch you? Or when they made threats of violence against you or, heaven forbid, one of your relatives who is elsewhere in the school if you do whatever random bullshit they made off the top of their head? Or when they stole things from you? Or when they forcibly took your things and destroyed it? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

I don't get why the lady was "offended".

From all that I've seen, the pose suits her character's personality, and if she has problems with how it emphasizes her butt, well, I think her character model has the extremely detailed ass built in. In any picture of Tracer wherein her posterior can be seen, her ass crack and globes are inconceivably hanging out there, defying the laws of physics. I think her anger (well not anger, whatever her feelings are about this) is misplaced. What she really should be tackling is her appearance. Which she of course won't do.

But honestly I couldn't care. It's a bloody pose. If they changed her character itself, then maybe I would give a bit more of a shit.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 16 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here