Creative Assembly Details Total War: Warhammer's Post-Launch Content

Creative Assembly Details Total War: Warhammer's Post-Launch Content

warhammer

Total War: Warhammer will have a combination of free and paid DLC, which the developer explained in a post today.

In a post today, Creative Assembly detailed the post-launch content updates that will be made available for Total War: Warhammer, with both free and paid DLC that includes new heroes, units, legendary lords, and more.

The "Free-LC" will include things like new units, Heroes, the "occasional new Legendary Lord," and even an entirely new playable race, which will be added "toward the end of the year." There's even a convenient graphic that shows off the plan, which is a "rough idea of our plan on this, subject to change."

warhammer

Meanwhile, there will also be paid DLC.

Lord Packs will include two playable legendary lords, with their own quest chains, bonuses, and items, Race Packs add either a new race or full unit rosters, heroes, lords, and legendary lords, and Campaign Packs are "supercharged version of a Race Pack" which contains a new race and a new challenge campaign. More details on each of these packs can be found here.

"With both Rome II and Attila we were able to release playable factions, new formats and even a free campaign expansion as a thanks to players for supporting Total War," said Rob Bartholomew, Brand Director at CA, in a press release. "The Warhammer Fantasy Battles World is gigantic, and we're looking forward to exploring it over the forthcoming trilogy. But that incredible cast of characters and monsters also provides us the chance to make lots of interesting Free DLC to support our games over time."

Total War: Warhammer releases on May 24.

Let the whining begin...

Same as with Rome Total War 2 and Attilla then.

Hope it's not as bad as it was with Atilla however the Free-lc seems quite limited.

I'm hedging bets and think they're going to do the Bretonnians for free after a while because they are already in the base game.

The only factions care about is Bretonnia, the 3 Elven factions, and Ogre Kingdoms.

Don't care about Lizard and Rat people.

Why didn't they just call it Total Warhammer?

I bet that the 'New Playable Race' is the Warriors of Chaos preorder bonus.

Samtemdo8:

Well thats a shame, because the Lizardmen and Skaven are probably the most original factions in WFB, unlike everything else ripped from what passed for pop culture at the time.

Also, Doomwheels.

008Zulu:
I bet that the 'New Playable Race' is the Warriors of Chaos preorder bonus.

@008Zulu it's actually not. it's most probably Bretonnia or wood elves thats the flc faction. Chaos is day one dlc

Bombiz:
Bretonnia

While I do like the idea of an Arthurian themed race, I would like to see something like Dark Elves, or maybe the Lizardmen. Just for some variety.

I'll be completely unsurprising and say I want Neferata and her vamps as a playable faction in their own right. They're pretty much my favorites in warhammer fantasy.

That said a bigger map with more of the world would be nice too. The Total Warhammer map isn't that big, but then again I guess I've been spoiled by the warhammer fantasy mod for CK2.

Halyah:

That said a bigger map with more of the world would be nice too. The Total Warhammer map isn't that big, but then again I guess I've been spoiled by the warhammer fantasy mod for CK2.

There is a warhammer fantasy mod for CK2? Looks like i got no reason to buy this game now and will just play that!

Strazdas:

Halyah:

There is a warhammer fantasy mod for CK2? Looks like i got no reason to buy this game now and will just play that!

Yeah it has a lot of factions available with some bending and extrapolations added to make things playable(and in some cases so they have any flavour at all). Certain factions aren't added due to the issues with portraying them though(such as the skaven and most things not on their current map). A new big patch for CK2 was out not long ago however so they're working on incorporating it in addition to other things so the mod isn't compatible with that one yet. Not much of an issue granted since paradox puts old patches on steam for those that need to go back to an older one.

The mod is fun and tends to lead to some rather nutty scenarios as is usual for CK2. I know that from experience given what happened to one of my last ones.

Politrukk:

Hope it's not as bad as it was with Atilla however the Free-lc seems quite limited.

I'm hedging bets and think they're going to do the Bretonnians for free after a while because they are already in the base game.

Yeah almost certain it will be Bretonnia. Their army is the least complex and has one of the smaller unit rosters, so makes sense they will be the free inclusion.

As much as people will gripe about this stuff, I think most of the race packs etc should hopefully be good value given the how unique each of the base factions are. The legendary Lords and Units on the other hand, probably will be a rip off.

Strazdas:

Halyah:

@Strazdas I don't see why you wouldn't still buy Total war warhammer if you're playing CK2. They're 2 totally different games.

This actually doesn't look too horrible. Free dlc are always nice, however insubstantial they might be. On top of that new Factions in this game will most likely be different enough to actually be somewhat worth their price. Not Rome 2's "Pay 15 Euros to play these people with spears wearing slighly different clothes to the other people with spears."-dlc.
That being said I still heavily doubt that I am going to buy Total War - Warhammer any time soon with both Stellaris and Hearts of Iron 4 coming out around the same time. Those should be more than enough to scratch my Grand Strategy Itch for quite some time.

ron1n:

Politrukk:

Yeah almost certain it will be Bretonnia. Their army is the least complex and has one of the smaller unit rosters, so makes sense they will be the free inclusion.

As much as people will gripe about this stuff, I think most of the race packs etc should hopefully be good value given the how unique each of the base factions are. The legendary Lords and Units on the other hand, probably will be a rip off.

The Warhammer setting lends itself to be diverse, if they drop the ball with this I'll just give up on them honestly.

Allthough they've already let it slip by only going with such a small number of factions in the base game, they're pawning it off with the notion that this other dlc and these other games are being funded by the current dlc.

However it irks me a little that they've dialed back the FreeLC this much.

Halyah:
I'll be completely unsurprising and say I want Neferata and her vamps as a playable faction in their own right. They're pretty much my favorites in warhammer fantasy.

Empire, Dwarves, Greenskins and Vampire Counts are the 4 confirmed races.

Maybe we will get Tomb Kings. That'd be nice. Might be too much to hope for Nagash himself as a playable Lord. Still, Bone Giant vs Chaos Giant.

008Zulu:

Halyah:

Empire, Dwarves, Greenskins and Vampire Counts are the 4 confirmed races.

Maybe we will get Tomb Kings. That'd be nice. Might be too much to hope for Nagash himself as a playable Lord. Still, Bone Giant vs Chaos Giant.

I know of the vampire counts(albeit I don't understand the blight mechanic as I didn't think they were like the scourge from warcraft). They're likely gonna be the main ones I play when I eventually buy it. I'd just prefer to play lahmians rather than carsteins thats all.

Also wouldn't Nagash be a tad too OP? Then again for the sake of mechanics, I guess he'd be nerfed, but I'd expect Settra as head of any tomb kings faction if they made a map with them available. Wonder if they'd include Araby in that, but then if they did that, they'd pretty much have to invent lore for them since from what I understand there's barely anything for them.

Samtemdo8:
The only factions care about is Bretonnia, the 3 Elven factions, and Ogre Kingdoms.

Oddly enough, the only factions I care about are the lizard and rat people. You can keep your metal heads, pointy ears and big fat guys.

Worgen:

Samtemdo8:

Oddly enough, the only factions I care about are the lizard and rat people. You can keep your metal heads, pointy ears and big fat guys.

I want my fantasy genre to be pure and traditional.

Lizardmen and Skaven are lame in concept they are not unique fantasy creatures they are just anthromophized animals. (Though admittedly the Lizardmen looks badass)

Besides If you want new original creatures in Fantasy look at Morrowind or Planescape Torment or Burning Crusade World of Warcraft.

Samtemdo8:

Worgen:

Samtemdo8:

Lizardmen and Skaven are lame in concept they are not unique fantasy creatures they are just anthromophized animals. (Though admittedly the Lizardmen looks badass)

Besides If you want new original creatures in Fantasy look at Morrowind or Planescape Torment or Burning Crusade World of Warcraft.

You mean you like your fantasy to be tolken.

Lizardmen and Skaven are the most interesting races in warhammer. Lizardman show up in a ton of fantasy but they tend to be cannon fodder creatures. In warhammer they made them gods and on team 'good.' Which is pretty rare. And Skaven, I don't think any fantasy has really done anything like them before, they are interesting and make a great horde of things to kill as warhammer vermintide demonstrates.

Are you sure you like warhammer?

Worgen:

Samtemdo8:

Worgen:

Lizardmen and Skaven are the most interesting races in warhammer. Lizardman show up in a ton of fantasy but they tend to be cannon fodder creatures. In warhammer they made them gods and on team 'good.' Which is pretty rare. And Skaven, I don't think any fantasy has really done anything like them before, they are interesting and make a great horde of things to kill as warhammer vermintide demonstrates.

The thing is I am completely new to the Warhammer Fantasy franchise and so far I am hoping that this game, Warhammer Total War, will be THE game that properly introduces a new audiance to the Warhammer Fantasy Universe like how Dawn of War was to the 40k universe and I am interested since I LOVE the traditional fantasy genre, I love stuff like Tolkien, D&D, Warcraft, Elder Scrolls, Magic the Gathering, etc. etc.

If I want to fully get into the game I want to get at least the Faction Races that are familiar looking like the Elves, Ogres, Bretonnia, and mabye the Chaos Demons of Khorne (unless the Chaos Warriors are the Khorne Faction)

008Zulu:
[quote="Halyah" post="7.937012.23606550"]

Imagine Nagash. He would insta-kill entire armies. He'd be an awesome cheat character. Like the console cheat rocket elephants in Medieval 2.

Halyah:
Also wouldn't Nagash be a tad too OP?

Not if they gave each side their own God level character. The Empire could get Sigmar, then you could re-create the famous battle where Nagash invaded the Empire, but was narrowly defeated.

Worgen:

You do know people can like a setting without liking everything in it right? :P

For example after the end times debacle and reading up on the skaven backstory I pretty much ended up thoroughly loathing them so much that vermintide is basically godsent since it lets me butcher them in droves. Though each to their own. I don't like 'em one bit, but others do. There's plenty in the setting to pick and choose from. So there's a chance there's something for most people if they overlook certain aspects.

008Zulu:

Halyah:
Also wouldn't Nagash be a tad too OP?

Not if they gave each side their own God level character. The Empire could get Sigmar, then you could re-create the famous battle where Nagash invaded the Empire, but was narrowly defeated.

Could just be because its early morning and my memory isn't the greatest, but I don't recall hearing about that particular battle. Its not the end times is it? >.>

Halyah:
Could just be because its early morning and my memory isn't the greatest, but I don't recall hearing about that particular battle. Its not the end times is it? >.>

It was from Warhammer 2nd Ed. Before the vampires were split off to form their own faction. Would have been very late 90s.

008Zulu:

Halyah:

It was from Warhammer 2nd Ed. Before the vampires were split off to form their own faction. Would have been very late 90s.

Ah I see. Explains why I didn't recognize it as that predates my interest in warhammer by quite a fair bit of years.

Halyah:
Ah I see. Explains why I didn't recognize it as that predates my interest in warhammer by quite a fair bit of years.

The lore in the army book for them is an interesting read. Nagash captured hundreds and thousands of Greenskins and Skaven, and used a ritual to kill them and bring them all back as his undead army. The Skaven sent an assassin to kill him as he was in a sort of hibernation after the ritual. Took him a thousand years to resurrect himself, he re-established control over most of the undead he created and marched on the Empire. Pretty much made it all the way to the Imperial capital before Sigmar flattened him with his warhammer.

I was thinking for this game; The Undead as a playable faction, and marched on the capital. A 'what if' kind of scenario.

008Zulu:

Halyah:

The lore in the army book for them is an interesting read. Nagash captured hundreds and thousands of Greenskins and Skaven, and used a ritual to kill them and bring them all back as his undead army. The Skaven sent an assassin to kill him as he was in a sort of hibernation after the ritual. Took him a thousand years to resurrect himself, he re-established control over most of the undead he created and marched on the Empire. Pretty much made it all the way to the Imperial capital before Sigmar flattened him with his warhammer.

I was thinking for this game; The Undead as a playable faction, and marched on the capital. A 'what if' kind of scenario.

Knew skaven stabbed in the back. Maybe have heard of some of the rest, but its been a while since I read into that stuff. An interesting idea for a what if scenario though.

I'm waiting to see if they add campaign packs for Lustria and the Southlands.

Bombiz:

Strazdas:

Halyah:

@Strazdas I don't see why you wouldn't still buy Total war warhammer if you're playing CK2. They're 2 totally different games.

because i dont like the direction Total War franchise is taking and given limited time in a day im fine with just one game.

Strazdas:

Bombiz:

Strazdas:

because i dont like the direction Total War franchise is taking and given limited time in a day im fine with just one game.

@Strazdas fair enough about the direction of the franchise. If you want a warhammer themed total war that isn't this one you can always try the Call of Warhammer mod for Medieval 2.

Bombiz:

Strazdas:

Bombiz:

@Strazdas fair enough about the direction of the franchise. If you want a warhammer themed total war that isn't this one you can always try the Call of Warhammer mod for Medieval 2.

yeah, Mediaval 2 has lots of great mods. The engine is a buggy and unstable though, crash every third battle (and yes my computer is more than enough to run it at any setting) and half the troops not knowing how to climb siege towers getting stuck inside walls.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here