Warcraft Movie Trailer Features Goldshire's Lion's Pride Inn

Warcraft Movie Trailer Features Goldshire's Lion's Pride Inn

If you've ever spent time in World of Warcraft's Lion's Pride Inn, this trailer will look awfully familiar.

There's a brand new behind the scenes trailer for the upcoming Warcraft: The Beginning movie, and for those of you who spent a lot of time playing Alliance, you might see something familiar within.

Rob Kazinsky (who plays Orgrim Doomhammer in the movie), narrates the one minute short, and explains how the set is very similar to the game's version of the Lion's Pride. There's even a wanted sign for kobolds.

No word yet on whether there will be night elves dancing on the tables, but I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

ffronw:
No word yet on whether there will be night elves dancing on the tables, but I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

The question is rather whether this'll be an RP-server version of Goldshire. Though the lack of an R rating answers that.

Anywho, as a big Alliance player back in the day it really warms my heart to see that set. That definitely is an awesome attention to detail. Now as long as the actual movie is good...

Hopefully not Moonguard's Goldshire inn.

Ref: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIsIHgVWP7g

Peh, newbs. Back in my day Goldshire Inn was just a sprite in an RTS game called Warcraft: Orcs and Humans. :p

This genuinely tugs at my WoW loving heartstrings. The movie looks like goofy dumb fun (which fits the tone of WoW at least), and this set at least appears to genuinely be Lion's Pride.

bawwww Goldshire. Now if the movie dropped into Andorhal with a certain time-displaced "gnome" ahem, then my nostalgia button would really be pushed.

I never played WoW, but even I have heard of furries and possibly night elf girls with giant throbbing enchanted longsword.

Considering the reputation that goldshire has, I'm surprised anyone would even want to mention it in anything official. At least this leaves lots of opportunities open for jokes.

Those Easter-eggs would probably be a lot cooler if they didn't make a trailer specifically drawing attention to them.

Halyah:
Considering the reputation that goldshire has, I'm surprised anyone would even want to mention it in anything official. At least this leaves lots of opportunities open for jokes.

It's been a long time since I played WoW, so what reputation is this?

I love how he's like "I've spent a lot of time in this inn". Oh HAVE you now, Mr Kzinsky? Say no more, say no more.

I'm still not really sold on the movie, but the sets are very, very well put together. The attention to detail is clearly very well adhered too.

FirstNameLastName:

It's the alliance go to location for shit ERP. Get in, get your quests, get the fuck out. Don't make eye contact, do not accept gifts, do not give other people gifts, stay behind the red line, do not speak to anyone speaking to you.

FirstNameLastName:
Those Easter-eggs would probably be a lot cooler if they didn't make a trailer specifically drawing attention to them.

Halyah:

Not quite sure how to sum it up in a way that doesn't leave something up, but basically imagine the worst of worst RP, ERP and geberal bad behaviour(that would get you punched in extremely painful spots if you acted like that towards someone in RL) that hits the Adult Only rating so hard it breaks the ceiling all rolled into one place. Thats how it was during the worst of it. Since I generally avoid the place and only go there if I have to, I don't know if its still that bad, but with the playerbase having shrunk so much, I'd hope its at least a little bit better.

elvor0:

FirstNameLastName:

It's the alliance go to location for shit ERP. Get in, get your quests, get the fuck out. Don't make eye contact, do not accept gifts, do not give other people gifts, stay behind the red line, do not speak to anyone speaking to you.

Halyah:

FirstNameLastName:

Halyah:

Not quite sure how to sum it up in a way that doesn't leave something up, but basically imagine the worst of worst RP, ERP and geberal bad behaviour(that would get you punched in extremely painful spots if you acted like that towards someone in RL) that hits the Adult Only rating so hard it breaks the ceiling all rolled into one place. Thats how it was during the worst of it. Since I generally avoid the place and only go there if I have to, I don't know if its still that bad, but with the playerbase having shrunk so much, I'd hope its at least a little bit better.

I don't remember any erotic connotations, but now that I think of it, I do remember it having a reputation for being a hive for socialization, roleplayers, and others who aren't really interested in the actual game aspects. I remember it having a slightly cringy reputation as some kind of "casual zone".

I mean, the film certainly looks the part, but I am still unsure if it will actually be good or not. Still very cautious.

If there's a sex scene in the movie, it should definitely take place in that Inn...

Now the question is, are there a bunch of level 100s/level 1 twinks dueling outside? That's the real cincher for an accurate portrayal.

It just can't be Goldshire without some lowbie Gnome warrior packing 5000 more HP than she should be trying to pick a fight with you because you want to learn blacksmithing.

Eh, all the pieces are there, and that's neat, but it's all dark and edgy looking. The Lion's Pride Inn in the game is bright, cheerful, and whimsical. None of the little details really matter if you don't have the aesthetic down.

If you want an updated Lion's Pride Inn, just play Hearthstone. That's where it's supposed to take place.

Metadigital:
Eh, all the pieces are there, and that's neat, but it's all dark and edgy looking. The Lion's Pride Inn in the game is bright, cheerful, and whimsical. None of the little details really matter if you don't have the aesthetic down.

If you want an updated Lion's Pride Inn, just play Hearthstone. That's where it's supposed to take place.

Dark and Edgy?

DARK AND EDGY?!!!!

If this Tavern is Dark and Edgy then the fucking Lich King and Deathwing are My Little Pony villains :P

Anyway it looks like that because A. its how Taverns would look in real life and B. the scene I assume takes place at night.

Samtemdo8:
Anyway it looks like that because A. its how Taverns would look in real life and B. the scene I assume takes place at night.

Well, that's the problem.

Warcraft is bright, cartoony, and campy. It might have some spooky ghosts and angry villains, but at it's core, it's a lighthearted romp through a whimsical fantasy world. Sure, you can make a movie with all the right names in it and fill it with the cast of Game of Thrones for mass appeal, but it's not going to have the same aesthetic as the games. That's not necessarily a bad thing (though I suspect it won't be very good), but to go and advertise how faithful the film is when it doesn't even capture the general mood of the game / setting is disingenuous at best.

Metadigital:

Samtemdo8:
snip

snip

Campy? Maybe. Cartoony? Sure. Bright? Not quite.

Besides, this is Warcraft, not WORLD of Warcraft movie. And plenty of stuff will end up being retconned from what we know.

And what's with the GOT comparison. Even at it's darkest, Warcraft is a vastly different fantasy than down-to-earth GOT.

MrCalavera:

Campy? Maybe. Cartoony? Sure. Bright? Not quite.

Besides, this is Warcraft, not WORLD of Warcraft movie. And plenty of stuff will end up being retconned from what we know.

And what's with the GOT comparison. Even at it's darkest, Warcraft is a vastly different fantasy than down-to-earth GOT.

Warcraft has always been bright.

Even the most whimsical settings need something to generate conflict. The Warcraft games do have some dark themes, but it's all rather tongue in cheek. One minute you're watching Arthas kill his dad, the next you're clicking on him so many times he starts spouting jokes.

The Game of Thrones reference was specifically a reference to the actors, many of which are also cast on Game of Thrones, and who will appeal to that part of the market (which is massive) that is currently watching the Game of Thrones series.

Personally, I think a more authentic rendition of a Warcraft movie would look a lot more like the CG cutscenes you posted (or, hell, one of the Overwatch promo videos) and less like the trailer above trying to convince us how authentic it is.

Last time I was in Goldshire, I was on my Nelf Rogue on a PvE (not RP) server. I was meeting some guildies for duels.

"track humanoids" spotted two belfs at the 2nd floor.

so I go up there, and sure enough, there's a hunter and priest, one male one female, no clothing.

so I /pvp flag myself and spam Fan of Knives and Feint until they get provoked and flag themselves to attack me. Feint, burst of speed, vanish. They think they scared me off.

Then in /1 and /y I announce: HEY THERES TWO NAKED PVP FLAGGED BLOOD ELVES ON THE TOP FLOOR OF THE INN!

So myself and about 10 other kill them. they respawn and try to escape and we kill them again. and again.

If there's a scene like that in the WC movie, I'll watch it in theaters a dozen times.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here