First Assassin's Creed Movie Trailer Features Leap of Faith, Jarring Music

First Assassin's Creed Movie Trailer Features Leap of Faith, Jarring Music

ac-movie-320

The first trailer for the Assassin's Creed movie looks promising, if they'd just change the music.

The Assassin's Creed movie has been the subject of plenty of rumors over the past year or so, but it looks like it is finally coming to fruition. The first trailer for the film staring Michael Fassbender is now available, and it shows off a look at the film's two settings: a quasi-modern day Abstergo and the Spanish Inquisition of the late 15th century.

At least in this reality, Abstergo has moved from kidnapping people to using those who were executed and then apparently revived. I'm interested to see how this twist on the story plays out, and what they do with the modern-day scenes in the film.

In the trailer, you'll see Fassbender in both his roles: Callum Lynch, and Aguilar - his 15th century Spanish assassin ancestor. Keep an eye out for a brief Jeremy irons sighting as well.

If the first trailer is any indication, the movie is showing some promise, although I can't for the life of me figure out why they chose to set the action scenes to I Am A God by Kanye West. Whether you like the song or not, it just feels out of place from the setting. Hopefully, the movie's actual soundtrack won't make the same mistake.

Assassin's Creed is headed to theaters on December 21, 2016.

I'm actually kind of digging it.

Not enough Seven Nation dub-step.

In almost all the games he is a lone assassin, here's I see he has much better company, ironic considering the Ubisoft controversy after AC 4 release.

I just learned that the music is from Kanye West. OF COURSE.

It's kind of weird that, what I suspect is the Animus, is attached to his but.

Bob_McMillan:
I just learned that the music is from Kanye West. OF COURSE.

I don't think I have ever listened to a Kanye song (actively), but I find his voice to be very recognizable.

I don't often say this, but that looks absolutely terrible and we should have no part in it.
Its just another generic high-octane, non stop action movie with a sexy love interest and more than its' fair share of Inception BWWAA.

Exactly what I thought Hollywood would do with a game like Assassin's Creed.

Calling it now, there will be a massive sci-fi explosion and car chase. Because Hollywood. Because all video games are the same, amirite?!

. . . . . . . . . . Needs more Creed. " I STAND ALONE! INSIDE I! STAND ALONE!"

Willinium:

And then timed perfectly with the Leap of Faith, "WITH ARMS WIDE OPEN..."

ffronw:

At least in this reality, Abstergo has moved from kidnapping people to using those who were executed and then apparently revived.

uhm... no, they didn't. That no one is looking for him now, since he is officially dead was just the cherry on top of his DNA-memory, which they would acquire no matter how.

Ok, besides that- can anyone in this movie actually talk. Mumbling into their coat does not automatically imparts gravity, as the cast seems to think.

Willinium:

Psssssst...That was Godsmack.

ffronw:

Willinium:

. . .Wait was it? . . .Well shit. . . I guess I lose my Rocker Cred card now. . . Don't I feel silly now.

That trailer was repeating itself for some scenes. And the colour palette looks awful.

The music is pretty damn awful, and I feel dirty just listening to Kanye's music.

But that trailer shows promise and I'm pretty interested to see how the Animus is used. Also, curious that they chose the Spanish Inquisition, but I suppose that it's fitting since no one would expect it. :P

Willinium:

. . .Wait was it? . . .Well shit. . . I guess I lose my Rocker Cred card now. . . Don't I feel silly now.

Nah, not knowing which songs are Creed songs doesn't hurt your rocker cred in the slightest.

I'm starting to suspect this movie was made for tax reasons, and not to actually make a successful movie.

Looks pretty faithful to the games, however, right down to the comically incompetent soldiers.

Well, that was certainly a thing. Yep. Definitely a thing.

BloodRed Pixel:

ffronw:

At least in this reality, Abstergo has moved from kidnapping people to using those who were executed and then apparently revived.

uhm... no, they didn't. That no one is looking for him now, since he is officially dead was just the cherry on top of his DNA-memory, which they would acquire no matter how.

Ok, besides that- can anyone in this movie actually talk. Mumbling into their coat does not automatically imparts gravity, as the cast seems to think.

Or, more likely, they faked his death but made it look convincing enough for them to take the "corpse" away, no questions asked. What's not clear is how Lynch makes contact with the modern day Assassins.

The action looks good, the setting should prove interesting (cue Spanish Inquisition jokes), but I also had issues with the song choice. Maybe something from the games, like this one from II:https://youtu.be/QOlSpz9kH5c

Or this one from III (yeah, yeah, say what you will about the game, but this still sounds cool): https://youtu.be/EevWu6A1LPM

Sigh, crap. I suck at embedding things here.

And this is what it looks like with music from the actual games. From 2 I think.

Like, jesus guys, the games have great music. MAKE USE OF THEM.

So.... impossible to get a female protagonist (remember all the outrage), and in the movie they seem to go straight for a stereotypical super hot chick sidekick? Nice going Ubi.... NOT!

I see unfitting trailer song is the latest fad nowadays.

ffronw:

Willinium:

Which was also featured in the other, not ran to the ground, Ubi franchise.

Actually looks ok, minus kanye "the king of rock" wests shite! and why dd they have to make the animus a giant moving arm thingy that looks stupid, why didnt they follow the game more and have him lying in a machine it makes more sense.

But will the film have this? I'm not watching it unless it features the best aspects of an AC game...the glitches.

BWAAAAAAH's, BEEEEeeeeew's, Kanye West music, and recycling the same shots in the trailer.

Yeah, nah, even if the action looks promising, the trailer has convinced me that this movie is going to be cookie-cutter garbage.

It should be pretty easy to make a decent film out of this since the Assassin's Creed formula is so loose:
Running around rooftops of a historical city + historical conflict rejigged into Assassins vs. Templars + weird future stuff + stabbing people in the throat.

I'll be interested to see if they can make the Abstergo "present day" stuff both interesting and seem genuinely relevant to the main historical bit because none of the games have managed that.

Hm, whilst Yeezus is no My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, it's good... but I'm not sure anything from it quite suits an Assassin's Creed game-film/film-game-thing. As has been pointed out, the games have some pretty great music, so they could've taken inspiration from that for a mood setting trailer.

And seeing Ubisoft's name at the start of films is rather terrifying... it feels more ominous and threatening than anything in the trailer.

Aside from fearing the spread of Ubisoft - I'm not a fan of the games (bar AC2 and some of Brotherhood), but that looked kinda fun, I guess? Fassbender's always watchable, and I think he has a hidden dagger hand in its production, so hopefully he'll try to at least make a decent film-from-game for once.

Great trailer, except for the music. I knew it was Kanye West just from the amount of BPM (Boasts Per Minute)

I'm now mildly intrigued to go so it.

When I heard Assassin's Creed was taking a break this year, I thought it was a good choice.

But no. We will never escape Assassin's Creed. Never.

Good lord, that music was atrocious.

Other than that, looks pretty cool, but what is up with the new Animus crane? Did they discover that they could literally shake the DNA secrets out of subjects?

Dragonlayer:

Other than that, looks pretty cool, but what is up with the new Animus crane? Did they discover that they could literally shake the DNA secrets out of subjects?

Other than the music, that was my second nitpick. Wondering if it serves an actual purpose or they just went with some kind of "Cool factor" that just looks silly.

Dragonlayer:

I figure it acts like a VR type apparatus.

It looks like the templars are trying to create an assassin army, due to the present day people gaining the skills of their ancestors.

It looks promising. I wonder if they will add some levity, or go straight serious business.

Fuckers. They had a great opportunity to say "Fuck off, you cunt" to the whole Animus bollocks and they didn't. I'm convinced that it's only there because they think people won't play (or watch, in this case) something set in a historical setting so they can go, "Honest, Guv, it's set in the present."

The present day story in the Creed games is shit, dull, and ill thought out and I wouldn't have given a shit if they abandoned it straight away and we never found out what the fuck happened to Desmond. Or whatever the man was called in the first game. Unless that was Des too. See? I can't even remember the fucker's who were there.

Ah, fuck it. I haven't even played one since whatever the last one with Ezio was, so they might have done away with it since. I hope they have, for the sake of other players if not me.

Darth_Payn:

BloodRed Pixel:

ffronw:

Or, more likely, they faked his death but made it look convincing enough for them to take the "corpse" away, no questions asked. What's not clear is how Lynch makes contact with the modern day Assassins.

That's either the end of the movie or the teaser after the credits. See, because he's actually moving and building muscle memory instead of sittin on his ass in a chair, he uses his newfound assassin abilities at the end of the film to escape from Abstergo and contact the assassins. Bonus points if Abstergo has implanted tracking and recording devices in him because it was all part of their dastardly plan.

Calling it now: this won't be any better than Prince of Persia. And video game movies will still retain their reputation of being dogshit on toast after the release of this.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here