New Ghostbusters Trailer Introduces Slimer, Shows off Chris Hemsworth

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

...Better...but that joke over lady or black. Just no, besides aren't they forgetting weight? Lord knows If someone that big came diving down at me regardless of race or gender I'd be doing my best to get out of the way.

Something Amyss:
Ooookay...why didn't they lead with this?

It's not a perfect trailer by any means, but it is leaps and bounds better than that first one.

Yeah, if they'd lead with this one, I would have been merely cynical instead of hateful. Still some things that bug me, though.

In light of the way Sony's been handling criticism, the line about "Is this a race thing or a lady thing? Either way, I'm mad as hell!" rings as speaking directly (and insultingly) to the audience. But that was probably there to begin with, so that may not reflect anything in the movie.

They hired Chris Hemsworth to replace Rick Moranis. Does anybody else think that's an odd decision? I mean, there's room for some good humor there; a guy who's physically the embodiment of masculine perfection as perceived by the modern culture having a personality that is exactly the opposite could be funny for its juxtaposition if it's done right, but something tells me they won't just based on what they thought was their best foot forward in the first trailer.

Still don't think a hard reboot was really necessary. And still annoyed by the sleek, high tech look of this versus the original's home-made from spit and duct tape look, but that's something I could get over if the writing was good.

But I'm still bothered by the performances. They keep delivering the lines in that obnoxious verbal-wink tone. You know, the one where they're signifying that they are obviously telling a joke because they don't think you're smart enough to recognize a joke on your own? The kind of tone that no good comedy movie has ever used because if you're ACTUALLY funny, you don't have to tell the audience that you're funny? Yeah, that's all over in this trailer.

Yeah, I'm still not buying it, Sony.

still not funny and the ghosts still look like fake. too much glow effect. seeing new scenes was kind of better but thats pretty much the only good about this crappy trailer. this is going to fail. but then, it may cash in because people want to see how terrible the movie is. then sony will claim its "financially" successful and ignores all the criticism.

RJ Dalton:

In light of the way Sony's been handling criticism, the line about "Is this a race thing or a lady thing? Either way, I'm mad as hell!" rings as speaking directly (and insultingly) to the audience. But that was probably there to begin with, so that may not reflect anything in the movie.

We already saw this clip, though.

It's legitimately upsetting that after two very funny movies, Bridesmaids and Spy, this is the shitty one.

I wanted to like it. I don't think it looks funny. I haven't watched any trailers but one before Batman vs Superman and it was easily the worst thing about that 3 hour ordeal. Not a laugh in the theater, and I swear I heard boos.

Why race jokes and slimy vagina jokes? Winston's race was never a punchline and the only sex joke was Sigourney Weaver's body and that ghost blowing Ray in a wetdream. Where is the relatable aspects of these characters? These goons all legitimately feel like SNL characters and not the realistic snarking every-persons that the original cast felt like.

Worst of all, why are the special effects so BAD! The original came out in 1984 and like Alien, the effects are STILL incredible. Why isn't that the case in 2016? And why does it feel like a sex-comedy with ghosts? The original was a legit horror-thriller with hilarious jokes and relatable dudes in the roles, and Annie Potts.

I'm going back to playing Doom (2016), a game that ACTUALLY got how to reboot a series right.

This trailer is better than the last one, however I'm still not sold on the movie. The characters are not endearing esp. the black one. She's too much of a cliche.

Areloch:
they moved up from an F- to a D+.

That is some damned high optimism...

I'd say it went from F- to F+. Bad... but not atrocious.

I actually felt like I might laugh a couple of times in this one.

I know it's both, but usually I'm able to tell if the fault is more on the director, actors, or writers fault for a movie looking like/being shit.

That said, why the fuck didn't they lead with this trailer? The damage is already done when Paul Fieg had his little tantrum to the reactions to the first trailer but it may have left people with some hope.

Personally, I love this movie; it brought Ecto Cooler back. Anything it does or not do as a story will pale in comparison to this accomplishment.

It's been a while since I felt true indifference to a trailer in question... At least it lead to an awesome skit from Jeremy Jahns... :p

Other than that, did they just spoil the villain in this trailer? Unless there's a "Ghost Master" in this movie, I "might" assume otherwise...

Well, that black lady seems to be the source of all 2 of my laughs from both trailers. The "it's a Cadillac" line and the bit with the ghost on her shoulders made me laugh, but nothing else made any sort of impact. Certainly not worth the dislike avalanche the first trailer got though, I'll give it that.

Definitely looks better than the first trailer. I love everyone in the cast there is still something that doesn't click for me for some reason, but some scenes look quite funny. I'm concerned that a lot of it will be cringe worthy at points. But hell I got a worse feeling from the batman superman trailer honestly. (BvS was actually worse than the first trailer for this in my opinion.)

Frostbyte666:
...Better...but that joke over lady or black. Just no, besides aren't they forgetting weight? Lord knows If someone that big came diving down at me regardless of race or gender I'd be doing my best to get out of the way.

The whole lady part of it though is stupid because we just saw them carry that other woman, so clearly the implication here is the audience is all racist.

The point of a joke should be to set something up and then take it in an unexpected direction. Black lady jumps into a crowd and no one catches her because they're racist isn't funny. A joke where a black lady accuses crowd of being racist but they say "No its because your fat" has the potential to be funny if pulled of well.

My reaction:

Oh a new trailer, well I'll give it a go, hope it's better than the last one.

Hm it's not bad actually, not sure about the neon ghosts still but eh it could be alright.

The action isn't bad, and the CGI looks good too. Maybe I'll go see this at the cinema after all.

"OK I don't know if it was a race thing or a lady thing but I'm mad as hell"

Oh hell no.

I wouldn't judge anyone for going to see this film but for me I think I'll save my money and wait for it to come on Netflix or something.

Bobular:

Frostbyte666:

The whole lady part of it though is stupid because we just saw them carry that other woman, so clearly the implication here is the audience is all racist.

The point of a joke should be to set something up and then take it in an unexpected direction. Black lady jumps into a crowd and no one catches her because they're racist isn't funny. A joke where a black lady accuses crowd of being racist but they say "No its because your fat" has the potential to be funny if pulled of well.

Doesn't work either.

Melissa is surfed, so it's not a lady or weight thing.
Black people in the crowd staring down at her and didn't pick her up, so it's not a race thing.

Mind you, what'd you expect from a movie that has the villain become a stay puft marshmallow man sized Ghost from the ghostbusters logo because he "asks" them what shape they want him to destroy the world in.... hmmm, now where have I seen that before but done 100 million times better?

That was actually decent. A fairly standard trailer, has some fun moments, shows what the film is about, actually makes me want to see the damn thing. Well, I'm still probably not going to see it, but that's got less to do with the film and more to do with the last cinema I liked in my town getting closed down. But I'll probably check it out when it comes out on DVD/Netflix/Amazon/whatever.

This one make me grin once or twice, so it's way better.
Still dissapointed in the CGI. I thought we covered this:
Puppets, Smoke & Mirrors = Scary. CGI = not Scary.
Man in a rubber suit = Scary. CGI monster the actors can't see but have to realistically act as if there = not Scary.

But at least the cast seems to be giving it their all, can't blame a bad movie on the actors.

Beetlebum:
This one make me grin once or twice, so it's way better.
Still dissapointed in the CGI. I thought we covered this:
Puppets, Smoke & Mirrors = Scary. CGI = not Scary.
Man in a rubber suit = Scary. CGI monster the actors can't see but have to realistically act as if there = not Scary.

But at least the cast seems to be giving it their all, can't blame a bad movie on the actors.

In all fairness the subway ghost had potential. Of course, they're batting 1 ghost out of a 100+ it looks like, but they've at least got that one ghost.

ravenshrike:
In all fairness the subway ghost had potential. Of course, they're batting 1 ghost out of a 100+ it looks like, but they've at least got that one ghost.

I blinked and missed that one. But yeah, that one seems more intimidating and mysterious than the others. Like it's a ghost instead of a person with CGI blue smeared over them.

*Watch Watch*

...Nope. Still not going to see it.

The trailer looks better than the first one. Still not interested in seeing it in the cinema, though.

Now, why all the ghosts have that neon aura around them? It makes them look like Scooby Doo ghosts.

ccggenius12:
Personally, I love this movie; it brought Ecto Cooler back. Anything it does or not do as a story will pale in comparison to this accomplishment.

We never got Ecto Cooler up here in Canada. We won't be getting it a second time either. We never got those delicious looking Ninja Turtle pudding pies either. Thanks a bunch, America.

Well, if I've got the time, I'll give it a watch. Haven't seen a comedy in theaters since Wedding Crashers.

ravenshrike:
Also, what sort of idiot jumps onto her back while wearing a Curium-246 reactor connector to a particle accelerator?

At a glance? Someone who doesn't know what any of that means. :P

President Bagel:

ccggenius12:

We never got Ecto Cooler up here in Canada. We won't be getting it a second time either. We never got those delicious looking Ninja Turtle pudding pies either. Thanks a bunch, America.

Trust me, you didn't miss much with the pies.

President Bagel:

Silly Canadian, everyone knows hats don't need food or drink!

But seriously, that sucks. At least you can console yourself with a superior candy selection and universal healthcare?

Something Amyss:

It's not a perfect trailer by any means, but it is leaps and bounds better than that first one.

What I don't get is why they are saying it's "introducing slimer". He was clearly visible in the first trailer. Is it "introduced" because the characters interacted with him? I mean it's not like he said anything. He just floated around like he always does.

Yeah this is awful. The effects look okay but I would scrap it completely or start over with a new cast and story. If they had gotten better female comedians maybe I would be more optimistic. But this looks like basically Pixels level of awfulness. I really am not sure what people are talking about. It was actually better when we didn't see much of it but now that I have it's even worse. Also I am pretty sure Winston was not such a black cliche as this woman obviously is and if he was they were much more subtle about it.

Happyninja42:

Something Amyss:

What I don't get is why they are saying it's "introducing slimer". He was clearly visible in the first trailer. Is it "introduced" because the characters interacted with him? I mean it's not like he said anything. He just floated around like he always does.

That seems to be wholly the author's doing, so I really can't answer.

ccggenius12:

President Bagel:

But seriously, that sucks. At least you can console yourself with a superior candy selection and universal healthcare?

Do we really have better candies in Canada?

And also, do you have the regular-flavoured Crispers? they don't seem to sell them here, at least in the Maritimes anymore.

the December King:

ccggenius12:

President Bagel:

And also, do you have the regular-flavoured Crispers? they don't seem to sell them here, at least in the Maritimes anymore.

Coffee Crisp, Crispy Crunch, Caramilk, Aero, Sweet Marie, Wunderbar, Crunchie, and Mackintosh Toffee bars just to name a few. On the other hand, America completely dominates us when it comes to breakfast cereals. Canada's breakfast aisle is a complete ghetto when you compare it to the stuff America has on offer.

KaraFang:

Bobular:

Frostbyte666:

Doesn't work either.

Melissa is surfed, so it's not a lady or weight thing.
Black people in the crowd staring down at her and didn't pick her up, so it's not a race thing.

Mind you, what'd you expect from a movie that has the villain become a stay puft marshmallow man sized Ghost from the ghostbusters logo because he "asks" them what shape they want him to destroy the world in.... hmmm, now where have I seen that before but done 100 million times better?

I think the line is supposed to be "I don't know whether writing a joke about people being racist or being sexist is funnier, so I'll just middle-ground it and hope it ends up funny". Breaks the fourth wall a bit, but I guess that's fine since Deadpool did so well.

the December King:

I'd just assumed, because every *insert favorite candy* thread that pops up here is inundated with a deluge of people naming candies that don't exist in America. Fortuitously, Presidential Bagel appears to have corroborated my anecdotal evidence. Of course, he now also has me wondering what's lacking in your breakfast isle...

I'm not watching this trailer, I have no interest in doing so

Where's my controversy over being MRA?

PsychicTaco115:
I'm not watching this trailer, I have no interest in doing so

Where's my controversy over being MRA?

Meat-Relish Activist? We already knew about your savory politics.

Yes, this trailer is marginally better than the first, but so is being covered in ten gallons of liquefied shit rather than twenty gallons. Doesn't really make it more appealing.

Yeah, I just...can't find the will to go see this movie, even out of some morbid curiosity to see how good or bad it turns out. Nothing about it, beyond the initial premise of 'gender-bending Ghostbusters for a reboot', interests me. Which is a shame. The cast, individually, are fine but none of the clips demonstrate any sort of charm or charisma between them. I'm not fond of the directors catalog of work, for the most part. The jokes presented in the trailers are flat at best and cringe-inducing at worst, and the effects look cheap and antiquated (and not in a good way). Even this 'good' trailer still makes the film look like some unholy cross between a modern day Sandler comedy and one of those god-awful live-action Scooby Doo movies.

Still, despite all of that, it has given me a few things to enjoy. It's lead to Ecto Coolers returning, and the shitstorms of petty bickering it's spawned online (and Sony's abysmal attempts at damage control) have been quite entertaining to watch. Which is quite convenient as I'll have something to drink while watching the world destroy itself over the dumbest shit.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here