Overwatch's Microtransactions Detailed And Priced

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Overwatch's Microtransactions Detailed And Priced

winston

Blizzard did not confirm the game's microtransaction structure until right before its launch.

Overwatch has launched, and we hope you are all having a blast playing it. However, those of you who played the game during the beta may have noticed something new has been added: microtransactions. Yes, Blizzard has waited until the very last minute to pull the curtain on the game's microtransaction model, and now that it has launched we have all the details.

Overwatch's microtransactions will take the form of its in-game "loot boxes" - boxes that are earned every time you "level up" and contain a variety of cosmetic goodies such as skins and sprays. As well as earning a single box every level for free, you can purchase additional boxes at the following price points:

• 2 boxes - $1.99
  • 5 boxes - $4.99
  • 11 boxes - $9.99
  • 24 boxes - $19.99
  • 50 boxes - $39.99

While it is certainly very sneaky that Blizzard didn't say anything about microtransactions right up until the game's launch, they are restricted to purely cosmetic offerings - there is no "pay-to-win" here.

If you're worried about this eventually bleeding over to maps and heroes, Blizzard has stated that all post-launch heroes and maps will be free of charge.

This kind of annoyed me. It was a very sneaky way of putting them in the game. I was very happy that the beta showed hide nor hair of microtransactions, but it appears that even Blizzard can be seduced to the dark side, when it comes to throwing in free 2 play monetisation elements into premium games.

Laggyteabag:
This kind of annoyed me. It was a very sneaky way of putting them in the game. I was very happy that the beta showed hide nor hair of microtransactions, but it appears that even Blizzard can be seduced to the dark side, when it comes to throwing in free 2 play monetisation elements into premium games.

Well, it was known by people who played in the second phase of closed beta. We had a survey during the second half of it asking about the price range at which we would consider buying the lootboxes. While definitely not widespread knowledge (Blizz asked that we do not talk about the content of the survey), I know there were a few topics about it on the subreddit.

Aren't the levels reset every time a new match begins? If so, this seems to be too OK to be true.

I read somewhere that if you get a duplicate item from a loot crate it gets converted into in-game currency that you can use to buy whatever you want. If it's true then I think that helps balance out the RNG factor.

Naldan:
Aren't the levels reset every time a new match begins? If so, this seems to be too OK to be true.

Levels are persistent, like your "rank" in Battlefield games

If I am expected to pay to play the game, then I expect there to be no microtransactions in the game. Purely cosmetic microtransactions that allow fans with extra cash to throw some additional support to the game and its devs is the best way to do microtransactions, but it is a matter of principle. Microtransactions turn playing the game into a psychological war pitting your patience against your wallet. I will only put up with that if the game is free and even then, only if I am unable(for whatever reason) to buy a microtransaction free game. If Overwatch ever becomes free to play, instead of pay to pay, I will give it a shot, but until then I will be giving it a pass. Shame too, because it looks like a real fun game, but microtransactions can be(and usually are) a cancer to otherwise great games and my only option is to vote with my wallet.

This doesn't annoy me. It's purely cosmetic stuff. We are getting all additional heroes and maps for free. If they're going to keep updating this game, they need to make money on it other than on the initial purchase. I honestly would have been more surprised if they didn't do something like this. It isn't at all pay to win so I'm perfectly fine with it.

Meh, still feels a little bit scummy to only NOW reveal the microtransactions just before the launch of the game, but then again as long as they keep to the promise of free updates and they come consistently then its fine, not going to buy the game though, I'll wait to see if they stay true to those "Free updates" they promised

It'd be nice if there was a direct way to pay for a skin, even if the cost was equal to like 10 crates. Pay less for more random stuff or pay more for what you want.

It would be nice, but it won't happen.

The loot boxes always seemed like something they would eventually charge for, I didn't actually know this was a secret or unsuspected.

T-Shirt Turtle:
I read somewhere that if you get a duplicate item from a loot crate it gets converted into in-game currency that you can use to buy whatever you want. If it's true then I think that helps balance out the RNG factor.

This is true, though I have not really figured out a way to redeem the coins. I wasn't paying much attention to it tbh.

Oh look, an Activision-Blizzard game has awful microtransations and in implemented in a scummy way.

Honestly, I don't really get why people are surprised by this kinda stuff, shitty microtransations have been common in Activision-Blizzard shooters for a while now.

Ugh. This annoys me on concept, but I am glad to hear it's purely cosmetic items this time around.

I just don't understand why Blizzard seems to get a free pass on all this crap.

In my opinion they are the absolute worst offenders for bleeding their customers.

Look at WoW, that is now using all 3 MMO payment models:
It is a full-price purchase for the game, as well as separate full price purchases for each expansion,
It has a monthly subscription fee,
And to top it off it has an obscenely over-priced Microtransaction store, which is edging ever closer to P2W territory.

Hearthstone prices are ludicrous - $13 for an alternate hero portrait, $30 for adventures (<1 hour of single player content) which are basically a requirement because essential cards are locked behind that paywall.

HotS isn't much better, and Overwatch will continue the trend.

They are one of, if not the, greediest companies currently in existence.

I'm glad that Blizzard is going the cosmetic-only route; in as much as this can be said to be done "right", they're doing it right.

That said, for #$%&'s sake. So damn tired of this idea that microtransactions are somehow mandatory in full-priced commercial games! It's like the worst combination of "if there's a nickel to be squeezed out of this, we've got to do it" and "keep proving your loyalty to our franchise, and maybe we'll keep putting out new content and/or keep the servers running."

Yup, now I am absolutely sure I was right about not buying this game =)

Callate:
I'm glad that Blizzard is going the cosmetic-only route; in as much as this can be said to be done "right", they're doing it right.

That said, for #$%&'s sake. So damn tired of this idea that microtransactions are somehow mandatory in full-priced commercial games! It's like the worst combination of "if there's a nickel to be squeezed out of this, we've got to do it" and "keep proving your loyalty to our franchise, and maybe we'll keep putting out new content and/or keep the servers running."

People are too lenient with microtransactions. "Its only cosmetic" "Its not that much" "They need the money".

I remember when Oblivion had one of the first microtransactions, and everyone flipped. Atleast Bethesda has avoided microtransactions since. (Anyone who says ESO, that wasn't made by Bethesda)

Whatislove:
I just don't understand why Blizzard seems to get a free pass on all this crap... (snip)

Those are all valid concerns, but I think it's fairly obvious why Blizzard gets a pass- it's because they're stuff is fairly consistently good. I've never played a Blizzard game before Overwatch, so I can hardly be called a trufan, but the general consensus is they make good shit and support it pretty well. EA and Ubisoft get the shit that they do because not only do they pull scummy stuff, but the games they do it in are increasingly bland and less fun than the last. They may have high production values and are competently developed, but miss the mark in many other ways. People can take all the absolutist stances they want on how people should pay for games, but people will also be willing to pay more and tolerate more for actual quality.

Wow, a lot of people sure seem upset that in a game they don't play, some people are able to waste their money buying cosmetic items they can earn fairly easily through play.
Anyone who played the beta pretty much knew for sure they were gonna sell those loot boxes at some point, the only question was price. This comes as zero surprise to me.

Naldan:

Levels don't actually mean anything.
Unlike saaaay Battlefield where you unlock weapons.
Every time you gain a level you get a loot box and the number by your portrait goes up by one.
Other than that nothing happens.

Whatislove:

In my opinion they are the absolute worst offenders for bleeding their customers.

It is a full-price purchase for the game, as well as separate full price purchases for each expansion,
And to top it off it has an obscenely over-priced Microtransaction store, which is edging ever closer to P2W territory.

Hearthstone prices are ludicrous - $13 for an alternate hero portrait, $30 for adventures (<1 hour of single player content) which are basically a requirement because essential cards are locked behind that paywall.

The WoW in game items you can buy off the shop are mounts, pets, cosmetic items, character boosts, and a game time token. You can't buy gear, currency, profession skill upgrades or reputation: all the parts of the game that actually influence your ability to play in the endgame.

Also, the Blizzard Battlechest is now $25 and contains all the expacs up to Mists of Pandaria, with Warlords of Draenor the only one requiring a separate purchase: so the full game costs (as of this writing) maybe 50-60 bucks. And I expect when Legion is released they will then roll WoD into the base game.

And actually, thanks to the store's aforementioned game token, it is possible - though very grindy - to stop paying cash money to play the game.

Blizzard $outh and Activi$ion strike again, they love that extra sauce. We'll just see if they really stick to cosmetics only.

Spoiler: They fucking won't!

Are people actually surprised by this? Cosmetic items that you can unlock in game or buy with real money seem to be the norm now. It's unfortunate, but it's not surprising.

Nazulu:
Blizzard $outh and Activi$ion strike again, they love that extra sauce. We'll just see if they really stick to cosmetics only.

Wait so only the south branch? The rest of blizzard is fine?

Cosmetic items in a game where you cant see your toon. I just dont get it.

Pretty much all Blizzard games have some form of micro transactions - usually cosmetic - available, and it seems like their player base is generally expecting that. The people I know who are major Blizzard fans that basically live on Battle.net's offerings for their daily / weekly gaming staple-fix are completely fine with that being the case. I am also fine with it personally. The only thing I've ever bought was a skin for Lili in Heroes of the Storm when I hit 40 or something with her, just to celebrate "yay me." No big deal.

As for micro transactions being available in a game when they offer nothing that is mandatory to make the game function properly or real content... yeah, y'know some people want that stuff there and want to have access to a new hat if they feel like it and have a little disposable income to burn on something frivolous for themselves. Strange concept I know, but there is a market for it. Again, myself personally, it's a rare moment I'd spend the cash, but having the option is not a horrible evil thing.

As long as it's optional content, I don't think anyone is going to have any real problem with it.

Gordon_4:

Whatislove:

The WoW in game items you can buy off the shop are mounts, pets, cosmetic items, character boosts, and a game time token. You can't buy gear, currency, profession skill upgrades or reputation: all the parts of the game that actually influence your ability to play in the endgame.

Also, the Blizzard Battlechest is now $25 and contains all the expacs up to Mists of Pandaria, with Warlords of Draenor the only one requiring a separate purchase: so the full game costs (as of this writing) maybe 50-60 bucks. And I expect when Legion is released they will then roll WoD into the base game.

And actually, thanks to the store's aforementioned game token, it is possible - though very grindy - to stop paying cash money to play the game.

Not only is that not a defense, but it's still a great example of how scummy they are. All this extra shit for real money, including over-priced mounts (which used to be something you had to save for), and character boosts to skip to the end, which is still fucking ridiculous, especially when other MMO's gave an option to get more than one class on your characters. And now there are game tokens to make it less grindy! WTF!!!

Not to mention the original game was first sold at full price with monthly payments, and each expansion wasn't exactly cheap when they first launched, and it was possibly the most popular game in the whole world at some point! Blizzard South and Cashtivision are fucking cancer.

Eric the Orange:

Nazulu:

Wait so only the south branch? The rest of blizzard is fine?

The original Blizzard was called Blizzard North for some reason. One of the main (if not the main) developers left after the 1st expansion of World Of Warcraft (I think) over some argument, and with new developers there they're now referred to as Blizzard South.

I fail to see the issue with this, at all. I mean, yes, we can all whine about the very concept of microtransactions daring to exist in the world because some other company in some other instance implemented them in a stupid, invasive way, but that ignores the reality of the situation for the sake of your cathartic whining.

It's purely cosmetic things that you can get; all future content of actual import will be free; you unlock these things through leveling up normally; and duplicate items seem to be converted into in-game currency to avoid drowning you in the same thing over and over again. At this point, there's nothing wrong with this other than that they're microtransactions and are therefore inherently bad and must be destroyed.

Nazulu:

Gordon_4:

Whatislove:

Not only is that not a defense, but it's still a great example of how scummy they are. All this extra shit for real money, including over-priced mounts (which used to be something you had to save for), and character boosts to skip to the end, which is still fucking ridiculous, especially when other MMO's gave an option to get more than one class on your characters. And now there there are game tokens to make it less grindy! WTF!!!

Not to mention the original game was first sold at full price with monthly payments, and each expansion wasn't exactly cheap when they first launched, and it was possibly the most popular game in the whole world at some point! Blizzard South and Cashtivision are fucking cancer.

No, the game tokens represent game time you can pay for with in-game gold, currently they go for about 46k on the AH so getting enough dosh together is where the grind comes in.

As for the mounts, honestly they're really boring compared to the ones you still have to grind for in game or rely on the RNG to drop.

And how is scummy to no longer charge for the old expansions and instead roll them into the base game?

Gordon_4:

Nazulu:

Gordon_4:

Not only is that not a defense, but it's still a great example of how scummy they are. All this extra shit for real money, including over-priced mounts (which used to be something you had to save for), and character boosts to skip to the end, which is still fucking ridiculous, especially when other MMO's gave an option to get more than one class on your characters. And now there there are game tokens to make it less grindy! WTF!!!

No, the game tokens represent game time you can pay for with in-game gold, currently they go for about 46k on the AH so getting enough dosh together is where the grind comes in.

As for the mounts, honestly they're really boring compared to the ones you still have to grind for in game or rely on the RNG to drop.

And how is scummy to no longer charge for the old expansions and instead roll them into the base game?

Oh good. I was I hoping I was wrong about those tokens, because that would've been insane.

As for the mounts, that's your opinion! Back in the day it was a big deal to finally get one, but that challenge no longer exists now, so it shits on the experience while also bleeding those certain people.

In your last sentence you missed the point. I said they 'first' sold at full (or nearly full) price, the first 5 or whatever expansions, but I haven't been keeping track of the last couple. And besides, it's not 'good' they rolled them into the base game, it's that they had to so people can afford to get it all. I don't think it would look great to any new player if they found out they had to pay for each expansion separately to get the new additions. That would be absurd.

The Lunatic:
Oh look, an Activision-Blizzard game has awful microtransations and in implemented in a scummy way.

Two crates with like 4 (100% cosmetic) items each for less than the price of one TF2\CS:GO crate key is "awful and scummy" now. mmmmmmm'k.

OT: We are calling this a surprise now? I was under the impression that it was common knowledge that crates would be buyable with real money and the only reason you couldn't in the beta was because the servers were getting reset repeatedly. What comes as a surprise to me is how good those prices are. I'll never use them because you get stuff at a good pace just by playing well, but if someone has more money than time that $40 pack would get you a massive chunk of the unlockables and enough ingame currency to pick up a good bit of whats left.

I really don't mind as it's purely cosmetic and still random drop. Nothing in the boxes affects gameplay other then Swag factor...and...oh. *gets a headache* I just used 'Swag' didn't I? I apologize to languages everywhere for that.

But back on Topic as you only get one set of Randoms every time you level I really don't see the problem in letting anyone who wants to get a little ahead of how many vanity items they have.

I don't really care that much. It's a game that's going to need some continuous support, so I can't really begrudge them another revenue stream that doesn't effect game play. If the crates had anything other than cosmetic items, that would be a problem.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here