Prey 2 May Not be Dead After All

Prey 2 May Not be Dead After All

Prey2.com and Prey3.com were recently updated to point to a hidden Facebook page.

Prey 2 was an interesting idea - rather than a straight-up "sequel" to the original game, it simply took place in the same universe, following the exploits of the galaxy's only Human bounty hunter. Unfortunately, it went through some troubled development, and was officially cancelled back in 2014. But that may not be the end of the story, as the Prey2.com and Prey3.com domain names have recently been updated, and Prey fansite Alien Noire claims it spoke with a source who confirmed the game still existed.

Prey2.com and Prey3.com now both point to a Prey 2 Facebook page, which is currently hidden. Alien Noire claimed that the game will be officially revealed on June 14 - the first day of E3 this year, which could be why the domains have been updated. It claims that Dishonored developer Arkane Studios is now working on the game.

So while this is far from a confirmation that the game is alive, well, it may be a sign that it's not quite dead after all. Shortly after its cancellation, a developer said that the game was practically 100% complete when Bethesda pulled the plug, so there is still hope!

Source: PC Gamer

Well, if this is true, sign me up, always looking forward to another Prey.

I still need to try and get the first one. Looked like an interesting game. And the footage of the second one looked awesome.

I wonder if they will continue the cancelled Mirror's Edge (or Assassin's Creed?) crossed with Mass Effect idea, or go on with the Cherokee warrior story.

I loved the original. The things that it did with gravity were amazing. Look around, and you'd see enemies walking on the walls and ceiling, and at a few points, had asteroids where you could almost feel yourself being pulled around it. Not to mention that it was doing portals years before Portal was doing portals!

The Enquirer:
I still need to try and get the first one. Looked like an interesting game. And the footage of the second one looked awesome.

Not on Steam at this time. Surprising. I played it in the early days of the Xbox 360 and it was spectacular. I can't believe part 2 has been in development hell for all these years (9 ?)

There are PC ports too. My advice? Get one. Check some youtube videos for inspiration. You will see so much that is terrific.

Please let this thing come back. Looked like an amazing concept and I'd love to see more of it.

Unless they're going to take the PC from the first Prey and its use of gravity+portal mechanics further instead of what they were gonna do last time we heard about Prey 2, I'd say the game should just be left on the scrapheap heh.

Hell yeah.

Remember absolutely loving the trailer... partly because Prey was a cool game.
But ESPECIALLY because of the Johnny Cash track :)

The Enquirer:

The first one had some interesting gameplay, some horrible writing and strange design decisions, like "let's make the player character a whiny person who nobody wants to be".

I recently played through the first game again. I got to say I loved the gravity stuff, the problem I had with the Prey 2 trailer was it didn't seem to have any of that sort of thing in, that is what made it unique, that and the awesome bio-tech style it had going for it.

First game was cancelled twice and took 11 years to finish. The sequel is still well on track for a Prey title.

praetor_alpha:
I wonder if they will continue the cancelled Mirror's Edge (or Assassin's Creed?) crossed with Mass Effect idea, or go on with the Cherokee warrior story.

I loved the original. The things that it did with gravity were amazing. Look around, and you'd see enemies walking on the walls and ceiling, and at a few points, had asteroids where you could almost feel yourself being pulled around it. Not to mention that it was doing portals years before Portal was doing portals!

What? No, it was doing portals a year before Portal, the idea for them in a video game was first realized in Narbacular Drop. Human Head ripped the concept off, Valve straight up hired Digipen.

Halyah:
Unless they're going to take the PC from the first Prey and its use of gravity+portal mechanics further instead of what they were gonna do last time we heard about Prey 2, I'd say the game should just be left on the scrapheap heh.

Honestly? I agree with this.

Though I hope they rewrite him to be less of a whiner.

The Enquirer:

You're gonna have to find a physical copy, either used or mint. There were some problems with the old publisher when they moved from Triton to Steam, and apparently they never really made a new batch of valid CD-keys. During a Steam sale a few years ago they effectively ran out of CD-keys and never bothered to make more. The game is pretty much unsupported at this point, and you can't buy it through Steam anymore due to the lack of keys. You can still register and download it through Steam given that you can find a valid CD-key.

I really enjoyed the first Prey. But if the game has been in and out of development hell again and again... well perhaps it's best to just stay dead. But if it is gonna happen, I'm hopeful there is some semblance of the first Prey in there somewhere.

This pleases my tingle-glands greatly. But summer is kinda the only time i can start making myself look less pasty-white and half-dead, by holidaying or just scampering off outside to find mating partners.

NLS:

The Enquirer:

You're gonna have to find a physical copy, either used or mint. There were some problems with the old publisher when they moved from Triton to Steam, and apparently they never really made a new batch of valid CD-keys. During a Steam sale a few years ago they effectively ran out of CD-keys and never bothered to make more. The game is pretty much unsupported at this point, and you can't buy it through Steam anymore due to the lack of keys. You can still register and download it through Steam given that you can find a valid CD-key.

Yea, I always saw a few sites that had the keys but I'm always wary of that stuff.

Gorfias:
Not on Steam at this time. Surprising. I played it in the early days of the Xbox 360 and it was spectacular. I can't believe part 2 has been in development hell for all these years (9 ?)

Prey itself was an infamous piece of vapourware that was in development for 11 years (announced in 1995!).

At least Prey 2 keeps that part of the formula.

The bit of Prey that really got me was the big/small rooms. The gravity and portals were weird enough, but chasing an enemy through a door and find yourself on that tiny, tiny globe in the centre of the room was weird, not least because the giant enemy looking down on you.

That and having a gunfight from the ceiling with an enemy on the floor.

Doesn't the IP belong to Human Head Studios? Or rather who was the original owner and how did fall into the hands of Bethesda/ZeniMax?

NLS:

The Enquirer:

Oh really?

I've a copy of it still in the case upstairs.

Wonder what it'd fetch on ebay...

fix-the-spade:

That and having a gunfight from the ceiling with an enemy on the floor.

So much that was fun and different. Puzzle fun, portals, 3rd dimensions, FPS. I have high hopes we'll see part 2.

bladestorm91:
Doesn't the IP belong to Human Head Studios? Or rather who was the original owner and how did fall into the hands of Bethesda/ZeniMax?

I believe the IP was owned by 3D Realms of Duke Nukem fame. At some point after Prey's release they sold the IP to Zenimax who presumably looked at what 3D Realms had done with the sequel up to that point and yelled Aw Hell No.

Given the mess Gearbox inherited with Duke Nukem Forever it's perhaps not surprising that Zenimax decided to just call the project a dead loss and move on.

fix-the-spade:

bladestorm91:

I believe the IP was owned by 3D Realms of Duke Nukem fame. At some point after Prey's release they sold the IP to Zenimax who presumably looked at what 3D Realms had done with the sequel up to that point and yelled Aw Hell No.

Given the mess Gearbox inherited with Duke Nukem Forever it's perhaps not surprising that Zenimax decided to just call the project a dead loss and move on.

Except that's not what happened to Prey 2 at all, the fault lies squarely on Bethesda. They were being massive assholes to Human Head Studios, they were doing everything they could to not give money to them so they could attempt a hostile takeover. The fact that Bethesda were not in control over the IP was not something they liked.

And the award for sequel awaited by less than a thousand people goes to..........

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here