GOG Connect Lets You Import Some Steam Games to GOG

GOG Connect Lets You Import Some Steam Games to GOG

gog-logo-320

The newest feature on GOG.com lets you import some Steam games to your GOG account for free.

If you've ever wished that you had bought a game on GOG instead of Steam, there's a chance you might be able to have both. CD Projekt is rolling out a new feature called GOG Connect that will let you link your Steam account with your GOG account. Once you're linked, you can import some games from your Steam account over to GOG.

Obviously, the list of games that this will work for is limited. There are currently 22 games available for import, and the GOG Connect page notes that "The eligible games are limited-time offers made possible by participating developers and publishers, so stay tuned for more games to come." The 22 games listed on the service right now all expire in 5 days, but once you import the game it will remain in your GOG.com account even after the import window has closed. Another caveat is that you can only connect one Steam account to your GOG account, and that connection is permanent.

There are some notable titles on the list of games you can import, like The Witness, FTL: Faster Than Light, Galactic Civilizations 3, and The Witcher: Enhanced Edition. You can see the full list of available games on the GOG Connect page.

You can get more information about the service by reading the GOG Connect FAQ.

I am very interested on a potential response from Valve, direct or otherwise. Either way, I am definatly going to take advantage of this.

I wonder whose idea this was? It seems like a neat thing, but something feels off...

I'll still use it probably, GOG's offline mode is much less restrictive than Steam. I can see the potential for buying a game when it's cheaper on Steam and when possible transferring it to GOG.

Obviously this isn't an open-ended offer because then we could just buy all the eligible games from Steam, activate them on GOG, and GOG would get no money from us. I'm amazed they're even doing this, but they're probably kind of desperate to get people on board with their service.

GothmogII:
I'll still use it probably, GOG's offline mode is much less restrictive than Steam.

GOG is as unrestricted as possible. Online or off, GOG games are completely free of DRM. They *have* a steam-like client, but it's not required -- you can simply download the game off the website copy it to whatever media and install it at your leisure on whatever machine.

Is it taking a million years for anyone else or just me? I love the idea, I've actually bought games on Gog that I already had on Steam just to get away from the restrictions (for example I can stick the installer for games I bought through Gog on a flashdrive for easy transport to a place with no internet).

That's nice of them. I appreciate when GOG does this kind of thing (it's not the first time.)

Hm hm... nice idea again. Doesn't work for me though. Timed out a few times, Now it's just "processing" for about an hour...

Ah well, i guess it will be fixed soo. I think i've got a few games which can be synched up. (Even though i usually buy them at Gog, if possible... but i think i fell a few times for a sale on steam, hehe)

EDIT:
YOUR ACCOUNTS ARE BEING CONNECTED

Due to exceedingly high demand this may take up to several days, please check back later. Thank you for your patience.

(Lol, ok. It's fun if something high-tech says: "Might take a few days, guy") Still.. free service is always good, so no complaints.)

good to see them expanding the service they did with the witcher to other games like this

ffronw:
You can see the full list of available games on the GOG Connect page.

Maybe we could before, but they're not showing now, presumably due to the same high demand that's making the connect process so backlogged. Does anyone have a full list?

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. Edit: Nevermind, I just had to be logged out to see it. I don't know why that is, but oh well.

Covarr:
Edit: Nevermind, I just had to be logged out to see it. I don't know why that is, but oh well.

I think that if you are logged in and connected, you only see the games that you can bring over.

The Witness?

YES THANK YOU THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED. I literally bought The Witness about a month before it came to GOG and I was a little bit irritated!

Saelune:
I am very interested on a potential response from Valve, direct or otherwise. Either way, I am definatly going to take advantage of this.

I don't see why Valve would need to make any response to this. GoG is just basically gifting people games. Hell, it actually encourages people to not buy those games from GoG, because the GoG buy only gets them the GoG version. The Steam-buy gives them the steam and the GoG version.

Cool idea, though when I tried the link it told me that it could take "days", so it likely won't be viable for a little while. I'm interested in this though, I prefer to use GOG over Steam when given the choice.

Steve the Pocket:
Obviously this isn't an open-ended offer because then we could just buy all the eligible games from Steam, activate them on GOG, and GOG would get no money from us. I'm amazed they're even doing this, but they're probably kind of desperate to get people on board with their service.

I suspect the sales that they're getting from the games in question have dwindled to such a degree that they've carefully calculated that they have very little to lose. And besides, if someone starts playing Broken Sword: Shadows of the Templar because of this, maybe they'll tell people about it and encourage them to buy the game themselves. I suspect all those Humble Bundles work in much the same way.

Oh, that's cool! I'm no longer mad at them for buying that "fixed" Saints Row 2 which was actually still a piece of shit.

Edit: It works. It took less than a day.

Steve the Pocket:

Or maybe they're just incredibly generous people and this is their latest effort in spreading the good will. The fine folks at GoG seem the type.

There we go, I've been connected.

And BOOM THE WITNESS IS IN MY GOG LIBRARY AHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!

11 games added o.o Must love GoG. I have a fair library on their now, maybe 50+ titles.

It's been so long since I had to put in my Steam password that I actually have no idea what it is.

I just gave it a try, more out of curiosity then anything else. 5 seconds later, 5 games added to GoG.

Shadow Runs Returns and FTL are the only two I really play anymore, but still, neat. Those GOG guys really are a cool bunch. Even if this is just a ploy to get people ordering other stuff on GOG, it's pretty good, as far as ploys go.

While a cool move of GOG's part, it's not that useful for me since I almost exclusively buy from them on PC. Also, the only game that I have on Steam that isn't on GOG is Skullgirls.

I actually prefer to use GoG, I only use Steam out of necessity. As much as I like this, I don't think many of my Steam games will be transferable.

While I understand why the NUMBER of titles you can validate is limited, I'm not sure why the TIME PERIOD in which you can do so is. Is this just a case of them wanting to do something cool without potentially losing too much money down the line? After all, many people have pointed out that it's probably a PR move (even if it's a pretty cool and generous one).

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here