Star Wars' John Boyega to Star in Pacific Rim 2

Star Wars' John Boyega to Star in Pacific Rim 2

Finn

The Force Awakens' Finn is set to be the lead for Guillermo del Toro's upcoming Pacific Rim sequel.

John Boyega, best known for his role as "Finn" in Star Wars: The Force Awakens, has been signed on to star in Guillermo del Toro's upcoming Pacific Rim sequel. According to the report from Deadline, Boyega will play the son of Idris Elba's character, Stacker Pentecost, from the first film.

"The Pacific Rim universe will be reinforced with him as a leading man as it continues to be a multicultural, multi-layered world," del Toro said. "'The World saving the world' was our goal and I couldn't think of a better man [than Boyega] for the job."

Pacific Rim was a pretty awesome movie. It had giant robots fighting monsters and really, that's all I needed. The fact that it was the brainchild of legendary filmmaker Guillermo del Toro simply added to its awesomeness. Unfortunately, for some reason, it wasn't as well received by some terrible people, which led to it being cancelled.

Del Toro then promptly un-cancelled the movie, and now with the casting of Boyega, we can be assured that Pacific Rim 2 is a proper thing that is actually happening.

Steven S. DeKnight is directing the film, which will begin production in the fourth quarter of this year.

Soure: Deadline

You know what? I can dig it. I like Boyega, he needs more work, he's a good actor after all.

A definite downgrade from Idris Elba. Most everything that isn't Idris Elba is.

Does this mean that what's his won't come back? He was so memorable.

MC1980:

He was kind of at ground zero when a nuke went off. Kind of hard to walk that off. Shame. I liked him.

He protected the Block... and then "protected" the pending Jedi... and now, he will lead the protection of Earth itself...

Other than that, I'll add this to my hype pile as prescripted...

Anything is better than whoever was the main in the first one. But Boyega is definitely a plus.

No I meant that other guy. Man character. Protagonist man. The australian(?). Man he was such an amazing character. Shame his name eludes me.

Unfortunately the only characters names I remember properly are Mako, Idris Elba, Hair Gel and Ron Perlman's Glasses.

I'm so happy I remembered Raleigh's name on my first try thinking about him. That makes him more memorable than Godzilla's white-guy protagonist. Or means I just really liked Pacific Rim.

... I did not remember Glasses-and-Spur's name, though. Hannibal Chau... fuck me for not having it down.

Rinko's Mako is still one of the best fucking characters ever, and Rinko should have fucking been The Major in the Live Action Ghost In The Shell that's supposed to be coming up soon. Honestly, it'd probably be easier to adapter her than Scarlet Johanson, and she gets enough play as Black Widow, doesn't she?

And of course, Pentacost. So fucking awesome.

I fucking loved Pacific Rim, so any news on the sequel will always be received with a nice cushion of good-will if bad, and a shout for joy if good. Plus, I can pay for it with the money I was gonna spend on Batman v Superman since that movie sucks ass!

Maybe he will make the sequel not suck as much. He showed pretty solid acting chops in The Force Awakens, so let's hope it carries onto this.

The first movie was all flair and little substance. Don't get me wrong I really enjoyed the movie but the story was pretty bland and the characters were all one dimensional. Everything was just there to set up cool robot fights, which was all I wanted from it anyway. Here's hoping the sequel does better than the original.

Well, assuming that the rest of the film is similar to PR1, then the male main character is just a slot-holder for the rest of the film to build itself around and basically ignore. Seriously, the male protagonist in PR1 is arguably the least important character that gets significant amount of screentime in the movie.

FPLOON:
He protected the Block...

Oh, so that's why he looked so familiar in Force Awakens. Didn't make that connection till now. Fun little movie.

Gotta say his career has made quite the leap, going from roles in small (tv) movies and tv series to one of the leads in friggin Star Wars. Good for him.

erttheking:

He was kind of at ground zero when a nuke went off. Kind of hard to walk that off. Shame. I liked him.

He was in Striker Eureka, an Australian made Jaeger. We Aussies know tough, and how to build things that last. (Besides, given the ahem "story" of Pacific Rim [the story was incoherent, but it was a damn good action movie], Elba surviving wouldn't be that big of a stretch)

008Zulu:

erttheking:

He was in Striker Eureka, an Australian made Jaeger. We Aussies know tough, and how to build things that last. (Besides, given the ahem "story" of Pacific Rim [the story was incoherent, but it was a damn good action movie], Elba surviving wouldn't be that big of a stretch)

Maybe but he also had that "if you pilot a jaeger one more time you die" disease. Pretty arbitrary plot device style illness but whatever. Del Toro clearly intended the character die and the nuke was IN the jaeger they were piloting.

Bah! I like Elba too and he will be missed in the sequel. Pacific Rim was kinda stupid, but it was also freaking awesome. I'm glad that the sequel was finally rammed through.

he did really well in star wars, so he is more then welcome to this sequel. would be great to see another dumbest awesome movie of the year. i know i wont be seeing that with my wife. she actually fell asleep during the movie wile my mind switched to 8 year old and just loved it. ron pearlman and just alone giant things punching other giant things is always awesome :D

damn, now i wrote it like an 8 year old.

jklinders:

Bah! I like Elba too and he will be missed in the sequel. Pacific Rim was kinda stupid, but it was also freaking awesome. I'm glad that the sequel was finally rammed through.

Mako Mori: Marshall Pentecost, I thought you were dead!

Marshall Pentecost: I got better.

Pacific Rim is about giant robots beating up giant aliens. Plot is inconsequential.

MC1980:
No I meant that other guy. Man character. Protagonist man. The australian(?). Man he was such an amazing character. Shame his name eludes me.

Unfortunately the only characters names I remember properly are Mako, Idris Elba, Hair Gel and Ron Perlman's Glasses.

The main character was Raleigh Beckett, played by Englishman Charlie Hunnam. The Australian was the pilot of Striker Eureka, a father and son team Hercules and Charles Hanson respectively.

The only thing about this tidbit is that I could have sworn that Stacker had no children which is why the relationship between him and Mako was so well regarded. Then again, they could perhaps be estranged.

MC1980:

...because obviously the new black guy is there to replace the last black guy. I agree that it's a shame that Elba is unlikely to come back (unless there was a helpful buried fridge nearby to save him for the nuclear blast).

I'm glad that Raleigh wouldn't be the main character again, he wasn't very interesting and the place he took in the plot would have a better fit a grouchy jaded veteran type character than a blank hunky everyman hero.

I didn't realise that Pacific Rim 2 had been un-cancelled so yeah!

The sequal better have more robot fights, more reconizable Kaijus, and less corny and cringy moments like this:

Why does everyone use this one picture of Boyega where he looks like he's desperately waiting for an open bathroom stall at a Taco Bell?

I can get behind this. I loved Pacific Rim. And I love John Boyega in Episode VII. So this is like chocolate meets peanut butter.

Man, I really didn't mean that to come across as racist, but it kinda does due to context.

Still never seen the first one, but I'm glad there's more of 'em. I may not be the biggest fan of Del Toro, but he seems like a great bloke and I can respect his passion.

As for Boyega: I hope he keeps an English accent this time...

The Rogue Wolf:
Why does everyone use this one picture of Boyega where he looks like he's desperately waiting for an open bathroom stall at a Taco Bell?

Heh, good point. Boyega looks pretty sharp in a suit, and yet that pic's still seemingly the go-to.

I can dig this, I like John, thought he was great in TFA. My only issue is the whole Stacker Pentecost's son thing is kind of coming out of nowhere. Hope they come up with a good reason for why him having a son was never brought up in the first one.

This sounded perfectly fine until I read the multi-cultural part. Now I'm wondering if it's just pandering to the SJ crowd...

K12:

MC1980:

...because obviously the new black guy is there to replace the last black guy. I agree that it's a shame that Elba is unlikely to come back (unless there was a helpful buried fridge nearby to save him for the nuclear blast).

I'm glad that Raleigh wouldn't be the main character again, he wasn't very interesting and the place he took in the plot would have a better fit a grouchy jaded veteran type character than a blank hunky everyman hero.

I didn't realise that Pacific Rim 2 had been un-cancelled so yeah!

He's going to play the guys son, that's about as straight forward a replacement as you can get! Hell, they probably should have gotten Idris Elba to play his own son, anything else is just a prime example of genetics not carrying over the cool parts.

Gordon_4:

MC1980:

The main character was Raleigh Beckett, played by Englishman Charlie Hunnam. The Australian was the pilot of Striker Eureka, a father and son team Hercules and Charles Hanson respectively.

The only thing about this tidbit is that I could have sworn that Stacker had no children which is why the relationship between him and Mako was so well regarded. Then again, they could perhaps be estranged.

Wait, the aussie and Guyman aren't the same person? Oh, I thought it was the same guy talking to himself with a funny accent for some reason. Bummer.

008Zulu:

jklinders:

Mako Mori: Marshall Pentecost, I thought you were dead!

Marshall Pentecost: I got better.

Pacific Rim is about giant robots beating up giant aliens. Plot is inconsequential.

Well if Shepard could do it, why not Pentecost?

On one hand, John Boyega is great.

On the other, it doesn't make any sense that he's his son, since I think that would have came up since Mako was his not-quite adopted daughter.

if we gotta do kids, why not Mako and white guy's kid? I mean if it's gonna be a proper sequel, it's going to take time for the alien dudes to set back up their monster operation. Better there be a larger timeskip than just immediate child (who would already be an adult by the time of the first movie, given pentecost's age)

Great.

John was great as Finn in Star Wars, he'll doubtlessly be great in Pacific Rim 2.

erttheking:

MC1980:

Actually he could easily come back in flashbacks in the Drift, just like we had with Mako. In fact, I would be surprised if they don't do that, considering John Boyega is playing his son.

OT: Cool. I'm all for another Pacific Rim no matter who is playing the lead (or maybe he's not the lead, I don't know). The fact that it happens to be an actor that I like a lot, and find to be a genuinely funny guy, just makes it that much cooler.

undeadsuitor:
On one hand, John Boyega is great.

On the other, it doesn't make any sense that he's his son, since I think that would have came up since Mako was his not-quite adopted daughter.

if we gotta do kids, why not Mako and white guy's kid? I mean if it's gonna be a proper sequel, it's going to take time for the alien dudes to set back up their monster operation. Better there be a larger timeskip than just immediate child (who would already be an adult by the time of the first movie, given pentecost's age)

Because we don't actually know that they end up as a couple. In fact, given how the first one ends, it seems they stay in the "just friends" department. And honestly, after having melded their minds, to the point where they have lived every moment with the other person, the idea that they might be too close to start a relationship seems reasonable.

Sure there was that russian couple, but I got the feeling they were already married when they became pilots, so they were already comfortable with each other. I mean they could hook up, it's possible, but the ending definitely suggested otherwise. Which I'm fine with personally. Besides, if you make it their kid, you have to fast forward the timeline 20ish years to let the kid grow up. And this would mean you'd have to age out the other actors if they return, making them look like they too are 20 years older, which rarely works well in makeup.

Easier to just fast forward things a few years, and say "this is Ilba's already existing kid, who is now old enough to join the ranks of the pilots." That way, you can have any actors reprise their roles, and not have to worry about aging them.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here