XCOM 2 Announced for Consoles

Pages 1 2 NEXT

XCOM 2 Announced for Consoles

XCOM 2 heads to consoles this September.

Just over one year ago, XCOM 2's Creative Director Jake Solomon explained why XCOM 2 was going to be PC exclusive.

"Our expertise here is PC. That's our home, and that's where we're really comfortable," he said at the time, adding, "When we have our meetings, when we talk about stuff, we only talk about PC. We talk about 'What is the experience like on PC? What does the mouse feel like in this experience?'"

Lucky for console gamers, that didn't last long. 2K announced today that Firaxis' XCOM 2 will be released on Xbox One and PlayStation 4 after all. The game will hit PS4 and Xbox One on September 6 in North America and September 9 in Europe.

XCOM 2 released to rave reviews, earning 4.5 out of 5 stars here at The Escapist, with our review reading, in part: "XCOM 2 improves on its predecessor in almost every way, and proudly stands as one of the most deeply satisfying action-strategy games currently available."

Personally I think it's great that this game will be available for everyone, so don't get me wrong. I snickered when I read the news. Didn't the developers proudly utter something like 'PC only, because we can do things there that don't work on consoles' and 'It feels right on PCs only'?

Dear 2K, you had your chance, but now I already have a copy on PC for free. If you had simply said that a PS4 version would come later, I would have waited and thrown money at you for the console version.

Fuck yeah! This game deserves to be available on as many platforms as possible!

Finally. XCom was one of the very few strategy games to work well on consoles, so this is welcome news indeed.

Good, I was waiting on a console port the moment they announced it would only be on PC. I find the dev's quote all the more funny now.

Yes! My filthy peasant arse can finally lament the timed levels whilst simultaneously enjoying the game! Loved the first and its' expansion. Are Firaxis handling the ports though?

Welcome news. Tippy should be in here wetting himself with excitement soon.

Would have been interested had it been on WiiU since Touch Screen controls would make sense.

Will there be better controller support for the PC release at least?

So much for being PC exclusive, but honestly not surprising. Hope they enjoy it.

Huh, I was a tad bitter about it not appearing on console, then I've more or less forgotten it even existed, and now it's coming to consoles? I mean, I'll buy it, but it feels like a bit of an anti-climax.

Plus, if what I've heard's true about the increased focus on timed missions, I may end up still loving XCOM:EW over 2, given one of the things I most enjoyed about EW was just how much time you could devote to movement and strategy. I don't like being rushed in a turn-based game.

How could they port a game over to a console that I don't use! I mean honestly who wants to allow more people to play this awesome game. They should just keep it a PC exclusive, because in producing a console they actively don't harm me or an PC users and allow others into the community. This cannot stand!

Seriously though good on 2k getting more people to play this is only good. Though I would be interested to see if the console version has all the same features, because Jake Solomon was pretty adamant that they couldn't make the game for consoles.

Have "fun" my console brethren.

Good hunting!

Honestly, I feel this is how ports should be done. The company should focus completely on whatever system they feel most comfortable on, and only after the game is finished should they look at how to port it. Simultaneous ports just ends up with someone getting shafted, whether it be underpowered on the PC so it can work on consoles, or have content hacked out crazily to get it to console.

Edit: Also, yay. My PC can technically handle XCom 2, but not well, and it has FPS dips like crazy. I still had fun despite that (and despite the FUCKING Vipers), but it should be more stable on consoles.

BloatedGuppy:

Luckily I read this news near a bathroom so it's only a little mess.

Yah! Tippy2k2s Army shall rise again! You poor bastards...

tippy2k2:

BloatedGuppy:

Let me know when you start recruitment. I hope they port over some mods. ADVENT armour (which gives you customizable ADVENT armour, not just helmets), Spart's Kitbashes (because it comes with an assault rifle I like, just aesthetically), Cap'n'Bubs Accessory Pack (and excellent hat mod), the Katana Pack (adds some melee weapons) and Long War Studios (mainly the enemies) mods at least.

Xerosch:
Personally I think it's great that this game will be available for everyone, so don't get me wrong. I snickered when I read the news. Didn't the developers proudly utter something like 'PC only, because we can do things there that don't work on consoles' and 'It feels right on PCs only'?

Ish, it was more a by concentrating on the PC only for now it removes the compromises that come with developing for both PCs and consoles. Now while these are often oversold especially on performance issues that a few PC versions of games have suffered in areas like UI because of multi-platforming is tricky to argue against.

I don't really know why you would want to play this type of game with a controller, but whatever. People better hope that they do a good job on the port, because the PC version chugs even on beefy hardware.

Who is surprised? Hello? Anyone? Ok then.

Xerosch:
Dear 2K, you had your chance, but now I already have a copy on PC for free. If you had simply said that a PS4 version would come later, I would have waited and thrown money at you for the console version.

If you don't mind me asking, how on earth did you manage to snag a copy for free? Isn't it a $60 purchase, not counting DLC?

FillerDmon:

Xerosch:

If you don't mind me asking, how on earth did you manage to snag a copy for free? Isn't it a $60 purchase, not counting DLC?

I was was somewhat lucky. A friend of mine got two Steam codes of which he gave me one. It was not a special promotion or loophole.

Nice! This will save me a few quid on getting an upgrade for my current laptop.
(Yes, I'm one of those terrible people who don't bother getting desktop rigs. I travel a lot, alright? >.<)

Bilious Green:
I don't really know why you would want to play this type of game with a controller, but whatever. People better hope that they do a good job on the port, because the PC version chugs even on beefy hardware.

Yeah, I'm kind of skeptical of it when I couldn't even get through the PC version between glitches and outright impatience with laggy visuals and ridiculous load times. I mean, ideally the standard setup on the console will let them clear up some issues, but the game never seemed like it was high end enough to warrant the chugging it was doing on PC.

Xerosch:
I was was somewhat lucky. A friend of mine got two Steam codes of which he gave me one. It was not a special promotion or loophole.

You are a lucky devil! Hopefully that luck held out in game. :P

Dr. McD:

tippy2k2:

BloatedGuppy:

Let me know when you start recruitment. I hope they port over some mods. ADVENT armour (which gives you customizable ADVENT armour, not just helmets), Spart's Kitbashes (because it comes with an assault rifle I like, just aesthetically), Cap'n'Bubs Accessory Pack (and excellent hat mod), the Katana Pack (adds some melee weapons) and Long War Studios (mainly the enemies) mods at least.

I'm excited for it (even though I know nothing about it because I went into XCOM blind and that made everyone getting murdered so much more fun).

If you are interested, I'd just join the group since I don't really advertise it at all outside the group unless the thread is specifically about XCOM like this one (so likely I won't remember when the time comes to let you know since I don't tell anyone). Generally, I just announce in the group when a new round will be starting.

Its nice when everyone can play your games, but a bit ironic coming from them given that they said they wont be doing that when they launched.

Xerosch:

But why would you wait longer for an inferior version?

Dreph:
How could they port a game over to a console that I don't use! I mean honestly who wants to allow more people to play this awesome game. They should just keep it a PC exclusive, because in producing a console they actively don't harm me or an PC users and allow others into the community. This cannot stand!

except that... noone has said it in this thread.

Strazdas:

Well, personally, I don't care if its an inferior version. My PC is parked in a tight space that's not very confortable to sit in for a long time, whereas my consoles are stationed opposite of a comfy couch. That's why I limit my PC gaming to exclusives.

Xerosch:

Strazdas:

Well, personally, I don't care if its an inferior version. My PC is parked in a tight space that's not very confortable to sit in for a long time, whereas my consoles are stationed opposite of a comfy couch. That's why I limit my PC gaming to exclusives.

I mean... But if they announced it on console, you would have denied the free version? Why? Why would you not just accept the free copy, and then buy it on console later on if you wanted comfort?

I really don't see how their lack of announcement impacts your personal purchase.

Kibeth41:

Xerosch:

Strazdas:

I mean... But if they announced it on console, you would have denied the free version? Why? Why would you not just accept the free copy, and then buy it on console later on if you wanted comfort?

I really don't see how their lack of announcement impacts your personal purchase.

No, no... Having a free copy is perfectly fine and I wouldn't have denied the chance for sure. But if I had a choice if I'd get the game for PC or PS4, I would choose the console version. I just mentioned the free version because instead of getting my money for the PS4 version 2K doesn't get anything because I got the free copy for PC and won't be buying XCOM 2 again. Sorry, this wasn't clear enough because I'm not a native speaker.

Oh, well nifty. I've never gotten into Xcom but from what I've heard it is both a really fun game and incredibly frustrating and stressful. Have Fun.

About it's supposed exclusivity though, no one in this thread has expressed any issue with it, and I don't really understand why anyone would. I play on PC but a good game deserves to be played. I've always felt like there should be no exclusivity and people should just choose the platform they like. In our current climate though, I do appreciate a developer who commits to focusing on the PC version first and foremost.

JUMBO PALACE:
Oh, well nifty. I've never gotten into Xcom but from what I've heard it is both a really fun game and incredibly frustrating and stressful. [i]Have Fun{/i}.

It depends what difficulty you play it on. The game is actually pretty easy on normal mode. But if you play it on Ironman (which a lot of us feel the game should be played on), it creates permadeath, which ends up creating sentimental attachment to your characters when combined with the fact that it has pretty decent character customization.

Xerosch:

No, no... Having a free copy is perfectly fine and I wouldn't have denied the chance for sure. But if I had a choice if I'd get the game for PC or PS4, I would choose the console version. I just mentioned the free version because instead of getting my money for the PS4 version 2K doesn't get anything because I got the free copy for PC and won't be buying XCOM 2 again. Sorry, this wasn't clear enough because I'm not a native speaker.

Makes more sense now. Thanks for clarifying.

Xerosch:

Strazdas:

Sound like a problem that could be solved simply by getting a comfortable PC chair then. Ever since i got mine i vastly prefer it to a couch.

Strazdas:
Sound like a problem that could be solved simply by getting a comfortable PC chair then. Ever since i got mine i vastly prefer it to a couch.

Nah, unfortunately not. My flat isn't very big, so I decided for a couch/TV combo for social stuff and had to cram the PC and the desk it's on into a tight space between two shelves. They are room dividers, so they are not standing against the wall.

Long story short: It's not the chair, but the whole PC-desk-complex. Hmm... perhaps the Steam Link could help me with this?

Xerosch:

Strazdas:

Nah, unfortunately not. My flat isn't very big, so I decided for a couch/TV combo for social stuff and had to cram the PC and the desk it's on into a tight space between two shelves. They are room dividers, so they are not standing against the wall.

Long story short: It's not the chair, but the whole PC-desk-complex. Hmm... perhaps the Steam Link could help me with this?

You could just run a HDMI cable from PC to your TV and use a wireless controller/mouse and play on your PC while sitting on your couch then :) Of course that does have the downside of requiring the cable to be connected. Steam Link and similar streaming should work as well, but they are streaming and therefore input lag will invevitably exists (though if you are using wireless controllers you have input lag already anyway).

Xerosch:

Strazdas:

Depending on how far away you could probably use a long HDMI cable and then use a controller from the couch, but that can be a hassle. Use your console if that's what's most comfortable and just ignore those who refuse to reason with preferences. I generally prefer PC myself, but I don't see a reason to argue with anyone over it. Consoles are neat too.

JUMBO PALACE:
Oh, well nifty. I've never gotten into Xcom but from what I've heard it is both a really fun game and incredibly frustrating and stressful. Have Fun.

About it's supposed exclusivity though, no one in this thread has expressed any issue with it, and I don't really understand why anyone would. I play on PC but a good game deserves to be played.

Yeah no gamer worth their salt should bemoan non exclusivity. I know people want to defend their purchase, but seriously don't get it when people get pissy about something being ported later on. I think the worst example has to be people who think FF13 ended up bad because it wasn't a PS3 exclusive.....oh dear.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here