Watch Dogs 2 Finally Officially Announced, Surprising No One

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Watch Dogs 2 Finally Officially Announced, Surprising No One

watch-dogs-2-320

Ubisoft has officially announced Watch Dogs 2 with a new trailer and information on the game's various editions.

As scheduled, Ubisoft held an announcement event for Watch Dogs 2 today. There have been a number of leaks of Watch Dogs 2 information this week, so there's very little surprising information in today's announcement. That said, it's nice to finally have everything out in the open.

Watch Dogs 2 casts you as Marcus Holloway a young hacker accused of a crime he didn't commit. As in the first game in the series, you'll hack the ctOS system to your benefit, taking over vehicles, adjusting city systems, and generally wreaking havoc. Set in San Francisco, the game let you explore that city, as well as Oakland and nearby Silicon Valley.

As we learned yesterday, Watch Dogs 2 will release on November 15, 2016 on PC, PS4, and Xbox One.

It will be available in three different editions:

• Standard Edition: Includes the game
  • Deluxe Edition: Includes the game and a deluxe pack of digital items.
  • Gold Edition: Includes the game, a deluxe pack of digital items, and the Season Pass

If the Collector's Edition is your thing, you can get it with any of these editions. Just pre-order on the Uplay shop and you'll get your desired edition plus an exclusive Wrench Junior motorized robot that you can control with a smartphone app.

If you want to watch today's presentation, you can see it all right here.

Hmmm... well, if the first game taught me anything, it's not to trust Ubisoft, and not to buy this game. I feel bad for the friend that gifted me the first game. "Disappointed" is an understatement about how that game made me feel. Probably as much as the first Borderlands, after I got excited about the original, non-cell shaded trailers.
Doubt it would work even if I did buy it anyway, what with the laughably named "Uplay". I've had more games not work because of that than work.
...Yeah, Ubisoft and Uplay are on my shit list. Shame, since they used to release some pretty fun games.

Oh my...that's one very iconic cap. Looks very attractive, surely Ubi have learnt from their previous game's marketing, gained more optimization techniques perhaps.

I'm actually kinda surprised. It thought it was possible that the poor reception of the first game would give Ubisoft second thoughts.

Hades:
I'm actually kinda surprised. It thought it was possible that the poor reception of the first game would give Ubisoft second thoughts.

It still sold like hotcakes.

Honestly, the first game had potential. I'm not gonna pre-order it, but I'll at least give the game a chance to impress me.

Holy crap. They actually kept the fucking hat

Nope.
No.
I'm going to wait one week at least after the game comes out to even consider purchasing it.

The first game burned me pretty badly. As well as many others.

Despite Ubisoft having a track record even at the time, I still had a bit of faith. They were pushing the game pretty hard. I guess that should have been my initial sign that it wouldn't have lived up to expectations.

I want to like the concept, I want to like the games, but you can't just tell me I will like it and don't deliver on anything.

I upgraded my PC when the original came out. Sure, I'd use my computer well after Watch Dogs with the new upgrades, but I spent money I barely had at the time.

Only 3 editions?

Thats not like Ubisoft at all...

I wanted to say I sincerely hope it doesn't have Ubisoft sandbox filler but then I remembered who's developing it..

Ehhhhh I'll give it a chance if it ends up being good, I'm just so over Ubisoft's stuff though, their idea of taking risks are always about sacrificing substance for style and their games just feel so hollow, never like an actual great game experience and more like a product made solely with the intention to make money from. They lack soul for me basically.

But gosh excuse my negativity, I just got Total Warhammer and the game looks absolutely rocking, gonna jump in it now and have a good time. Between that, Doom and Overwatch I'm having an absolute gaming ball lately.

SlumlordThanatos:
Honestly, the first game had potential. I'm not gonna pre-order it, but I'll at least give the game a chance to impress me.

I get the impression those sales were a one time deal though.

Far fewer people are going to fall for the entirely fake gameplay trailers this time around, I hope.

Lol I'll wait till I see some gameplay and story trailers. This was a cool video but yeah... It's all been said.

fix-the-spade:

SlumlordThanatos:

I get the impression those sales were a one time deal though.

Far fewer people are going to fall for the entirely fake gameplay trailers this time around, I hope.

Lets not forget the first game with given away with graphics cards too. I'm sure those were somehow counted as sales.

well, the first game wasnt too terrible but it had its flaws. especially optimization for pc was bad that i had constant freezing during playing and some stutters, even when turning everything to low. but after an upgrade to my rig, the game ran smoothly on max settings without any issues.
will certainly not pre order it and just wait and see how the port is and the game it self. and then, i may wait until its on sale.

I watched the livestream, the gameplay doesn't look too bad and the graphics look... kinda basic really. But I guess that's a good thing.

There's irony in their "tech controlling" game requiring UPlay on PC. Just very ironic.

JUMBO PALACE:

I guess I'm the only one that likes the hat. I like minimalist, simple logos like the Watch Dogs logo. I almost actually bought the hat a couple years back as I just like its design.

Wow, this looks so iconic!

Never played the first one and I doubt I'll be playing this one.

Hang on, in that second screenshot does seriously nobody notice the douchebag protagonist crouched behind that trash can hacking away on that laptop? He's not even that well hidden.

I'll give them this: it looks very nice. A fair amount of it looks straight out of San Francisco stock photos.

As for everything else... well, let's see if they learned their lessons from the first game...

Katherine Kerensky:
...Yeah, Ubisoft and Uplay are on my shit list. Shame, since they used to release some pretty fun games.

Around the time of Far Cry 3 and the first Watch Dogs being shown off using actual gameplay, I had started to think that Ubisoft was genuinely getting better. Then they pulled a Ubisoft, something everyone should have expected, and fucked it all up.

I'm not convinced. I have a copy of Watchdogs on PC, only because it came with the Graphics card. This protagonist looks even more forgettable then Aden Pierce.

Ubi$oft promotional screenshots always look really cool and the graphics look incredibly detailed, but once the game is released everything is incredibly low detail with a very short view distance.
Does anyone remember the FarCry3 thread that had a comparison of Ubi$oft ingame screenshots vs actual screenshots? Probably not, Ubi$oft had it taken down on several occasions.
How about the Watchdogs promo screenshots vs actual? Nah Ubi$soft had it taken down.

I'm genuinely curious to see how this performs considering how rapidly the first game's reputation went down the shitter.

I mean, it went from gullible hordes drooling over the shitty E3 preview to a byword for disappointment within about 20 minutes of launching.

Also, still waiting for a game where the hackers are overweight maladjusted dudes with tragic facial hair instead of fashion model, party animal action heroes.

No Wii U release? Fine... I'll just play the first game on the Wii U, then...

Other than that, near Silicon Valley? Will I run into a Richard-based cameo during a potential sidequest?

I'll wait until after the game has been released for a month or so. Watch Dogs quickly became one of the most overhyped games of recent memory even before the controversy of the clearly scripted show demos, that the graphics had been intentionally gimped at release, and that the game was a boring disappointment. Unless they do an AC1 to AC2 jump in quality (which is doubtful considering current Ubisoft) then I don't see this working.

They are still doing the bandit mask hoodie thing, no one thinks thats cool more people prefer if they dressed normally or wear suits or something.

Huh, neat.
I like the tech-savvy street gang feel goin' on here, as well as dedsec having a more pronounced presence, I know it's just a trailer but like I said, I like the feel.

Either they mixed some live-action footage in the trailer or they really reached the uncanny valley now. Of course it does not help that youtube refused to go above 480p for some reason ( i guess too much traffic).

"Beautiful Lies", the billboard says...I'd say that flawlessly describes Ubisoft's marketing.

Zhukov:

Also, still waiting for a game where the hackers are overweight maladjusted dudes with tragic facial hair instead of fashion model, party animal action heroes.

Yeah but if they do that, all the insecure overweight maladjusted dudes with tragic facial hair will complain of the game's negative stereotyping. The Big bang theory didn't even go that far and they still got shit on for not making them fashion model, party animal action heroes. You damned either way in such a community

dragongit:
This protagonist looks even more forgettable then Aden Pierce.

I thought that Generic White Guy in this game was Aden Pierce. All GWG's seem to look alike these days.

008Zulu:

dragongit:
This protagonist looks even more forgettable then Aden Pierce.

I thought that Generic White Guy in this game was Aden Pierce. All GWG's seem to look alike these days.

You do realize that the protagonist here is decidedly not white, don't you?

SlumlordThanatos:

Hades:

Same boat here, I was kinda hoping they'd up-play the more crazy parts of the setting they made.
One of the main issues I felt the first game had was it was a very somber experience, one I enjoyed but the best part of the game is where you are chasing after Not!Deadmau5 as he tears around town in his own special teamed Villain-mobile with Neon lights on the windows right after he steals something from your Batcave.
Oh, and the whole "Hacker Vs. Gang Banger" thing, I rather like that.

The rest of the game was kinda meh but I did kinda enjoy the story, even the pretty serious part about human trafficking.

Xsjadoblayde:

Zhukov:

Yeah but if they do that, all the insecure overweight maladjusted dudes with tragic facial hair will complain of the game's negative stereotyping. The Big bang theory didn't even go that far and they still got shit on for not making them fashion model, party animal action heroes. You damned either way in such a community

And, Sorry for bringing this up, but that was BEFORE that nonsense with "Gamers Are Dead"...

Phoenixmgs:

JUMBO PALACE:

I guess I'm the only one that likes the hat. I like minimalist, simple logos like the Watch Dogs logo. I almost actually bought the hat a couple years back as I just like its design.

Yeah, I really actually digged Adien's outfit as a whole, it's the whole "Mysterious Stranger" thing (Trenchcoat, hat) but more modern.
Hell, I'd buy that coat. :P

I almost sort of feel that if you have an Escapist account, and you come here daily to see what game Evil Game Dev Corp is putting out soon JUST so you can "Lawl, Im totes not buying it guis" comment, than it sort of makes you seem silly.

The sheer number of people coming into these articles to smug-post about how they're not buying the game is giving me hipster heeby jeebies. Literally no one cares if you plan to "punish" the dev by not buying their game. The people who ARE interested, will find this article interesting. The rest of us are simply increasing the SNR.

Maybe... Don't do that.

I always keep this in mind when you think about ubisoft. As for the game Rainbow six made me think Ubi can make great games if they tried so i'll probably pick up a game of the year edition if turns out good. I'm also hoping that people don't make a big stink out of the MC's race people have gotten too sensitive about race in games even I admit to have fallen to that trap. As long as the mc ends up decent I won't mind.

mythgraven:
I almost sort of feel that if you have an Escapist account, and you come here daily to see what game Evil Game Dev Corp is putting out soon JUST so you can "Lawl, Im totes not buying it guis" comment, than it sort of makes you seem silly.

The sheer number of people coming into these articles to smug-post about how they're not buying the game is giving me hipster heeby jeebies. Literally no one cares if you plan to "punish" the dev by not buying their game. The people who ARE interested, will find this article interesting. The rest of us are simply increasing the SNR.

Maybe... Don't do that.

Considering the controversies surrounding the previous title, Ubisoft have earned such remarks. When you burn people like that you are guilty until proven innocent. Besides, it's Ubisoft, they're a multinational corporation worth billions, they do not need defending.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here