Bethesda Bringing Fallout 4 to HTC Vive VR Next Year, DOOM After That

Bethesda Bringing Fallout 4 to HTC Vive VR Next Year, DOOM After That

During their E3 press conference, Bethesda surprised the crowd by announcing that Fallout 4 and DOOM are heading to VR.

Pete Hines took to the stage at E3 to make a surprising announcement: Fallout 4 will be coming to VR on the HTC Vive in 2017, and DOOM will follow. Although there were a number of leaks prior to show (some of which turned out to be accurate), the VR news felt like it came out of nowhere. Interestingly, Hines took the time to tout the company's work on VR, mentioning the groundbreaking work they had done in recent years, which the company cited during its 2014 lawsuit filed against Oculus.

He then announced that Fallout 4 VR would be coming to HTC Vive in 2017, and that DOOM was coming as well, although it was unclear if the 2017 date applied to both titles. Bethesda also touted the news on Twitter.

Whenever those games make it to VR, you can bet that the folks who own headsets will be quick to give them both a spin. I have to admit that even as a VR skeptic, the idea of DOOM in VR makes me both intrigued, and a little nauseous.

I bid my life a fond farewell.
If FO4 & Doom don't consume me body and soul, my girlfriend will certainly kill me for the use of the Vive so it can claim hers.

Seriously epic news though, look forward to it :D

No Rift support, then? Huh. Wonder if that is due to their lawsuit or because the Rift simply can't do what the Vive does. Maybe both.

Whatever the reason, doesn't really affect me. I have a Vive, so I'm set.

Vinsin:
I bid my life a fond farewell.
If FO4 & Doom don't consume me body and soul, my girlfriend will certainly kill me for the use of the Vive so it can claim hers.

Seriously epic news though, look forward to it :D

Oh man, "rip and tear" will reach a whole new level of catharsis in VR.

Can't wait. I've been in awe since buying my Vive. This news just makes me feel even better.

Vigormortis:
No Rift support, then? Huh. Wonder if that is due to their lawsuit or because the Rift simply can't do what the Vive does. Maybe both.

Can't wait. I've been in awe since buying my Vive. This news just makes me feel even better.

I would guess it was because of the lawsuit, as the Rift will have room-scale and motion controllers (hopefully) by the end of the year making the headsets virtually identical. Not sure how much fallout is going to use those features anyways...

What I'm curious about is how they plan on making this game VR ready. I have yet to try vorpx due to varying reviews, but I keep hearing about how the games aren't as good as "VR specific" games. My worry is that "VR specific" tends to mean fixed camera or teleporting around a map (with a few notable exceptions).

hooblabla6262:

Vigormortis:

I would guess it was because of the lawsuit, as the Rift will have room-scale and motion controllers (hopefully) by the end of the year making the headsets virtually identical. Not sure how much fallout is going to use those features anyways...

What I'm curious about is how they plan on making this game VR ready. I have yet to try vorpx due to varying reviews, but I keep hearing about how the games aren't as good as "VR specific" games. My worry is that "VR specific" tends to mean fixed camera or teleporting around a map (with a few notable exceptions).

To give you a better idea, I've tested VorpX with Dishonored, Dying Light, Alien Isolation, CSGO, Dragon Age: Inquisition and Monstrum (discovered later I could have used revive for that ;3) and Subnautica;

What you end up with is 'a good' VR experience; you set the resolution/fov/hud positioning; sensitivity of headtracking, 3d settings as desired.

The main flaw is sometimes there's just no getting around the fact your going to lose parts of your hud, which is where a shortcut key comes in (MMB by default) to go into a full view of the screen to view inventories, menus, ect. All the more immersive ditching huds anyway, but yes, your losing a small portion of your screen technically for most of your playtime unless you really manage to tweak the mix perfectly; yes - this in some cases can almost be entirely remedied, in others not so much; Dishonored is one it works pretty cleanly from launch, Dragon Age Inquisition on the other hand you'd be needing to MMB often to see your inventory, watch the cinematic portions; it's that .. finishing polish that tends to be lacking.

Alright, so establishing the visuals can still be good though not quite as polished as a meant for VR title (like having to MMB to see the 'movie segments of a game' --- and there is the delay of having to setup the resolution/fov/hud manually); what else is there?

Primarily, the headtracking, most games having it so that whichever way you turn your head is the way you'll be facing in the game, I *have* done twitch scout-shots in CSGO with my headset alone, quite amusing really o.o and it's really easy to get accustomed to; with some practice at least. It's particularly.. immersive standing on a vent above someone in dishonored and looking down on them, a sense of really being there.

But while all this described in words almost sounds dull, it really ends up being an epic journey. I can't describe it, I wont' try it, the most I can really say.. is..

Dishonored, originally, for me despite me liking the style & type of game it was, played originally to the last level and quit - literally out of disinterest and boredom, fast forward a .. year or two later since my original playthrough, my time re-playing it on the Vive has truly breathed life into gaming for me, I love it, I feel like I'm more involved, more there, it's astounding and can't be put into words in an effective way. At least I can't do it justice, all I can honestly say is every game I play in VR I find myself more interested in than I was originally; more immersed, but that's subjective, I may love it, you may not. I love using VR as a full-time monitor, not everyone else will agree and complain about resolution and demand better, something that hasn't phased me at all; but is sure to improve in a couple years for those that have that demand.

NOW; with that said, what makes a made for VR title better? Well, look at Vivecraft (or the oculus version) as a modded example; you can download it right now and launch it, there is no need to scale fov, resolution, or configuring your hud and the visuals and response just seem better for having been 'made for it'; you have that full range of motion and in the Vive's case full room movement, frankly, with a big enough room you could likely traverse a good portion of your Minecraft home without ever using any form of ingame movement but rather just walking around my 'real life' play space. (Even though, obviously, Minecraft never originally was a 'made for VR' game, it has been 'crafted' into a beautiful and smooth VR experience) or look at a literal 'made for VR' experience and you see the same ease and beauty to it. So does 'made for VR' have to mean teleporting from location to location or fixed camera views or anything of the sort? Absolutely not.

TLDR:
Yeah I can't.. sorry, I tried but it ends up paragraphs ;p
VorpX is in my opinion, yes, worth it
Teleporting = no not required for VR by any stretch, I use full 'normal' gaming movement and those prone to motion sickness are finding other alternatives and are still learning, one being waypoint movement seems to help ease into it. I can't 'say' much since I don't have the problem
VR = open to any genre or gaming type without restriction
The biggest difference between VorpX & a made for VR title, is polish. The images are crisper, it's likely to run better, the hud is made to fit and cinematic tend prepped to be seen in VR on a title made for it; sensitivity from the get go is usually more natural; no manual user effort required to get started and in made for VR cases you typically get full range of head movement separate from character movement, which is typically not the case for VorpX but it's easy to shift from one to the other in my experience. So yes, I still say VorpX is amazing.

Question: If these games do in fact come "to VR on the HTC Vive in 2017", will they specifically ONLY work on the HTC Vive, or ALL VR headsets? Will owners of the Oculus Rift be able to play it? Will owners of another VR headset be able to play it, or will it be Vive only? Is Vive only for PC or would it work on consoles? IIRC MS are adding support for one or another to the XB1 and Sony are developing their own VR...how "interchangeable" will these headsets be between different platforms and games?

KingsGambit:
Question: If these games do in fact come "to VR on the HTC Vive in 2017", will they specifically ONLY work on the HTC Vive, or ALL VR headsets? Will owners of the Oculus Rift be able to play it? Will owners of another VR headset be able to play it, or will it be Vive only? Is Vive only for PC or would it work on consoles? IIRC MS are adding support for one or another to the XB1 and Sony are developing their own VR...how "interchangeable" will these headsets be between different platforms and games?

Scorpio will be Vive and Oculus compatible. Current Gen console do not have the power to support those two VR systems.

the fallout 4 news for the first time ever has tempted me to get it.. but not tempted enough to spend $2500

Doesn't VR require ~90FPS minimums? And doesn't Fallout 4/Any Bethesda game go wonky above 60FPS? I wonder how they will overcome this.

Monk5127:
Doesn't VR require ~90FPS minimums? And doesn't Fallout 4/Any Bethesda game go wonky above 60FPS? I wonder how they will overcome this.

It doesn't require 90+ fps, it's just that more people are prone to the nausea and immersion issues when the framerate drops below that level. Some people I've talked to haven't experienced any nausea wearing it for hours at 60, and some have nausea even under the most perfect of conditions and performance. It frustrates me, I really want to try it somehow without blowing hundreds of dollars and finding out that it makes me puke. The experience can't be explained in words or 2D videos, which makes it a tough sale. This BS with games being exclusive to 1 of 3 different headsets now also makes any of them a tough sale, unless you're getting a Neo and don't have a PC and know you'll only be playing Morpheus, but even then people don't know what the experience is really like or if they have the stomach for it. I can only imagine the new Doom being a nightmare (no pun intended) at any framerate.

pookie101:
the fallout 4 news for the first time ever has tempted me to get it.. but not tempted enough to spend $2500

$2500? Where'd you get that number from?

Vigormortis:

pookie101:

$2500? Where'd you get that number from?

im australian, apart from the stupid price of VR itself, im spendig a good chunk of cash for a new video card.. all up it worked out to be around $2500 for me to get VR on this pc

pookie101:

im australian, apart from the stupid price of VR itself, im spendig a good chunk of cash for a new video card.. all up it worked out to be around $2500 for me to get VR on this pc

Ooph. You should just hold off on getting a new GPU until the full line of RX series from AMD and the new GTX1000 series from nVidia come. The RX 480 is promising above-required-spec VR performance for a $199USD price tag. You could shave hundreds off your initial cost.

Though, I'm curious, what GPU were you looking at and how much is it to import a Vive or Rift? $2500 still seems fairly high for an HMD and a GPU.

I haven't tested it yet, and it's still alpha phases so sure to be rough around the edges, but the free alternative to VorpX - VireIO has a working ROOMSCALE version of Fallout 4 apparently for those that really want that fix ASAP. I'm still too wrapped up in other games but it sounds promising, keep an eye on it at least? http://www.mtbs3d.com/new-vireio-site

Also, in regards to Aus & PC building; they do have some terrible price gouging; it would end up being between $1500-1800 to pick up the Vive and a GTX 970 right now :/ Despite the fact you could build a long-term wicked PC from *scratch* AND buy the Vive for that price in the US. Hell, for less than that price by far really if you know what your doing.

Vigormortis:

pookie101:

Ooph. You should just hold off on getting a new GPU until the full line of RX series from AMD and the new GTX1000 series from nVidia come. The RX 480 is promising above-required-spec VR performance for a $199USD price tag. You could shave hundreds off your initial cost.

Though, I'm curious, what GPU were you looking at and how much is it to import a Vive or Rift? $2500 still seems fairly high for an HMD and a GPU.

looking at around $1400 AUD to import the damn thing and around $1000 AUD for a graphics card to run it..

pookie101:

looking at around $1400 AUD to import the damn thing and around $1000 AUD for a graphics card to run it..

Eesh. That's brutal.

Still might be worth waiting on those new GPUs, regardless. If the benchmarks are true, the RX480 gets much better performance than, say, a R9 390, but costs less than half as much.

'Course, with import rates in AUS, I'm not sure how true that'll hold.

Please stop forcing this gimmick.
When Bethesda did Kinect support for Skyrim, it was only the voice-stuff, not the motion stuff nobody cared about.
Why would you support this gimmick?

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.