Microsoft Ends its E3 Presser By Announcing Yet Another New Console - Project Scorpio

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Microsoft Ends its E3 Presser By Announcing Yet Another New Console - Project Scorpio

project-scorpio-320

Just when you thought Microsoft's press conference was over, they announced their second console of the day.

As Microsoft's E3 press conference drew to a close, it seemed as though we'd seen all the company had to offer, including the new Xbox One S. But before Phil Spencer walked off the stage, he dropped another new Xbox on the crowd: Project Scorpio.

The console had been rumored in previous weeks, and as was thought, it's a performance-focused console. It features a GPU that offers six teraflops of power, which is slightly better than a GTX 980, but slightly less than the GTX Titan. It's still a whopping 33% less than the new GTX 1080. Scorpio will also feature an eight-core CPU, and Microsoft says it will support 4K gaming at 60 frames per second, as well as VR.

There's no word on what VR headsets Scorpio will support, but with Fallout 4 and DOOM heading to HTC Vive, it wouldn't be a surprise to hear that Scorpio would support it.

Microsoft was quick to say that all games and peripherals that work on Xbox One and Xbox One S would be fully compatible with Project Scorpio. Spencer touted this new machine as "gaming beyond generations," and said it would be the beginning of hardware improvements that don't mean getting rid of your gaming library.

Scorpio looks like it will be a pretty solid piece of hardware, but you have to wonder what its announcement will mean to the sales of the Xbox One S, the other console announced today.

And it will cost $1000 and people are still going to say that consoles are better.

For fuck sake Microsoft! I JUST gave you mad props (kids still say that nowadays, right? I'm cool!) for not going "NEW 3DS" bullshit on us and then you go "NEW 3DS" bullshit on us.

So far I won't be getting an Xbox One for a long time; I rather just save money for the final version.

Scorpio? Is that some comic book character or a band or film or something?

Xsjadoblayde:

I'm pretty certain its a professional wrestler from WWF's Attitude Era.

Those are actually decent specs. Question is how are they going to sell it to people for a reasonable price. If I wanted to spend what I'd spend on a computer, I'd buy a computer. Seeing how poorly every system that's tried to sell for $500+ has done until they drop the price to something people are willing to pay, history says this secondary console is probably going to have the winds taken out of its sails relatively quickly.

ffronw:

It features a GPU that offers six teraflops of power, which is slightly better than a GTX 980, but slightly less than the GTX Titan. It's still a whopping 33% less than the new GTX 1080. Scorpio will also feature an eight-core CPU, and will support 4K gaming at 60 frames per second, as well as VR.

I've got some bad news for Microsoft. Slightly better than a GTX 980 is not going to give you 4k 60fps.

Don't be surprised... It's not even its final form!

That being said I wonder how those new "XboneS exclusive games" thing plays out.

ffronw:
Spencer touted this new machine as "gaming beyond generations," and said it would be the beginning of hardware improvements that don't mean getting rid of your gaming library.

We all know what which machine we are thinking about. *wink wink nudge nudge*

I can see console sales slowing drastically now that the Neo and Scorpio are on the way. Who in hell is going to buy a PS4 or a One when they can wait and get the updated versions.

Microsoft especially seem vulnerable to this, as they already had the least selling console, is the Slim version of the One going to hit wanted sales figures? I might have been interested in changing my current Xbox One to a Slim but don't see the point now, I'll just wait and upgrade to the Scorpio. Save money now to spend it later.

My first thought upon hearing the name...

JUMBO PALACE:

ffronw:

It features a GPU that offers six teraflops of power, which is slightly better than a GTX 980, but slightly less than the GTX Titan. It's still a whopping 33% less than the new GTX 1080. Scorpio will also feature an eight-core CPU, and will support 4K gaming at 60 frames per second, as well as VR.

I've got some bad news for Microsoft. Slightly better than a GTX 980 is not going to give you 4k 60fps.

This is so true that I added a couple of words to make it clear that they claimed it, and not that I was agreeing with it.

So XBone owners are already obsolete? This generation is effectively over after...2ish years, but at least the *new* generation this time *is* backwards compatible.

That along with the fact that basically everything they were showing was also coming to Windows 10, on top of the new system likely being over $600 easy, means there is absolutely zero reason to buy an Xbone unless you hate Windows 10.

Which I do but that's not my point!

KingsGambit:
So XBone owners are already obsolete? This generation is effectively over after...2ish years, but at least the *new* generation this time *is* backwards compatible.

That these consoles would have very short lifespans should have been obvious when they announced and revealed to be based on downgrades of budget GPUs from 2011.

Rather sucks for the early adopters, we'll see what kind of hardware the new update consoles have and see if they're about to repeat this very short cycle.

Jacked Assassin:

Xsjadoblayde:

Ahh, that would be I felt a cold chill of shame run up the spine from the name.

I know Sony is doing something similar to the Xbone S, but jeez, announcing two new home consoles in one day? That's going a bit too far.

fix-the-spade:
Rather sucks for the early adopters, we'll see what kind of hardware the new update consoles have and see if they're about to repeat this very short cycle.

The new GPU will most likely be based on AMD's new RX 480. It's supposed to be slightly ahead of the GTX 980 at a $200 price point. There were some rumors floating around a few months ago that seem to all but confirm it.
And there's definitely no chance in hell that it will be able to play 4k at 60fps unless we're talking about some 2d platformer and maybe, just maybe a fighting game.

Adam Jensen:
The new GPU will most likely be based on AMD's new RX 480. It's supposed to be slightly ahead of the GTX 980 at a $200 price point. There were some rumors floating around a few months ago that seem to all but confirm it.
And there's definitely no chance in hell that it will be able to play 4k at 60fps unless we're talking about some 2d platformer and maybe, just maybe a fighting game.

I wouldn't expect 4k/60 since that takes a $600 graphics card in of itself. There aren't enough people using 4k screens for that to be a big issue, especially not at the console end of the market.

I would expect games to both look equivalent to high PC settings and run at 1080p/60 for the next couple of years. If it sees an end to fuzzy up-scaling and choppy almost 30fps that will be a pretty big jump to a lot of people.

I wonder how this will go down, 4k televisions are not something that are in most peoples homes. I don't know much about the hardware that will be in the machine, but it seems like it won't be powerful enough to run games remotely well at 4k. Current hardware on consoles have trouble getting a smooth 30fps at 1080, if I'm not mistaken, 4k is around 4 times bigger a resolution, so odds of that going well are... Well, not good.

Then there's the price... How expensive are these going to be? Will people gladly replace their current machines with these ones en mass? Who knows. It's going to be interesting.

tippy2k2:
For fuck sake Microsoft! I JUST gave you mad props (kids still say that nowadays, right? I'm cool!) for not going "NEW 3DS" bullshit on us and then you go "NEW 3DS" bullshit on us.

LOL, seriously? Have you not been paying attention to gaming news for the last couple of months? The new Xbox console has been rumored for a while now. Thinking it was not going to happen was just wishful thinking.

tippy2k2:

I've got a feeling that all of these attempts at incremental upgrades have a better-than-evens chance to go "NEW 3DS".

The problem with the "NEW 3DS" was that it appeared largely indistinguishable from the 3DS. It was near-identical except for a slight hardware boost. Which meant nobody saw any real point in buying them. Who was the "NEW 3DS" for? Nintendo never actually worked that out, they just shoved them out of the door with minimal developer support out of the gate. Which meant nobody bought them. Which meant no developers jumped on board because why design something for a console that has a tiny install base when the near-identical but slightly less powerful predecessor has millions of units sold? Which meant nobody bought them, because no games. Etc etc...

It really feels like Sony and Microsoft are blindly walking down the same route here; without noticing that Nintendo, who was forging ahead of them, has fallen off a cliff. Who are these consoles FOR?

They're not substantially different to the current consoles. So they're not really a 'new generation'. They're not even being marketed as a 'new generation', which is something that they might have tried; although doing so would probably have been suicidal as far as customers go (given how relatively new the PS4 and XBOne are).

They're being billed as for 4k gaming. Okay, I can buy that...but surely there can't be THAT many people with 4k TVs? But wait...60FPS 4k potential is good for VR, right?

Okay, lets run with that...about the only thing I can start to understand is if these are intended to be their "VR boxes". But if this is the case then VR on consoles is pretty much DOA unless these new consoles somehow manage to pull their price point way, way down to make it worth people replacing their existing consoles. People who want to do VR properly are going to get a powerful PC rig and a decent VR system. The 'hook' for Sony's Morpheus and Microsoft's Oculus team-up is that its a way to get a relatively cheaper VR experience...which isn't going to work if people are going to have to shell out hundreds upon hundreds of pounds for a new system as well as hundreds for the headset and other hardware (I just read Sony's needs a camera). If the headsets don't work at least reasonably with the base console which everyone already owns then the entire project for both consoles is unlikely to work out. But if they DO work reasonably well on the base consoles...then there goes the reason for wanting to get the upgraded version in the first place.

Not to mention anyone with a PC and with any involvement in PC gaming is subsequently more likely to just go 'screw it' and look into upgrading their PC for VR rather than faffing about buying an expensive new console.

So who else might it be for? Devs? Then you're back to the NEW 3DS discussion. Why would developers back a console that's only an incremental upgrade to an existing one when the existing one has a huge install base already? But for the sake of argument lets say they do get on board...if lots of devs get on board making exclusives for these new consoles then its basically a new generation...and we cycle back to customers getting annoyed because they literally just bought a new console a couple years ago.

None of it appears to make any sense.

Pointed out in this parody video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwHY_MgHwNU

The Memory Bandwidth they tout is lower than the Wii U's.

The whole thing is stupid.

They announce a console and then the conference goes on so long that they announce another console to replace that console they just announced. Who is going to buy an Xbox One S now when next year there is going to be a significantly better one? Do they really think we actually believe the bullshit that the original Xbox One won't be left behind?

Stupid. Moronic. If they think this is going to turn out good for them they are just as deluded as they were when they first announced the Xbox One.

Xbox: "THIS ISN'T EVEN MY FINAL FORM"

Well, I won't say this is the death of consoles, but goddamn are they ever making themselves irrelevant. Been said before, but at this point they're just holding IPs hostage on specialized PCs.

Not only will it still fall short of the most powerful gaming rig by a mile, but it will also cost you your first born child and both kidneys.

New 3DS, PS4k, XboneS... I have a really bad feeling about this generation.

So both Sony and Xbox are pulling a "SegaCD/Sega32X" and Nintendo seems on its way to pulling a Sega Saturn.

Jacked Assassin:

Xsjadoblayde:

Nah, it's the S/M gimp villain from Farscape

So microsoft really is turning Xbox into a PC? upgrades every 3 years and all?

fix-the-spade:

I would expect games to both look equivalent to high PC settings and run at 1080p/60 for the next couple of years. If it sees an end to fuzzy up-scaling and choppy almost 30fps that will be a pretty big jump to a lot of people.

Oh dont worry, im sure the developers will find a way to bring that cinematic framerate back!

Damian Porter:

LOL, seriously? Have you not been paying attention to gaming news for the last couple of months? The new Xbox console has been rumored for a while now. Thinking it was not going to happen was just wishful thinking.

The rumors were mostly bullshit though. The actual thing is the GPU form factor change that forces console makers to replace their APUs with a different ones because factories are re-gearing for different form factor manufacturing and console market alone is not big enough to have factories dedicated to them, so it would be paying more for weaker hardware if they did that..... then again that wouldnt be surprising for consoles.

Console gamers no longer have an excuse to not buy a gaming PC now. Stop wasting money on inferior hardware and save that money for a righteous gaming PC.

Strazdas:
The rumors were mostly bullshit though. The actual thing is the GPU form factor change that forces console makers to replace their APUs with a different ones because factories are re-gearing for different form factor manufacturing and console market alone is not big enough to have factories dedicated to them, so it would be paying more for weaker hardware if they did that..... then again that wouldnt be surprising for consoles.

Actually, the rumors turned out to be pretty accurate.

Jute88:

Jacked Assassin:

Xsjadoblayde:

Also a gynoid companion for the imperial agent in SWTOR. Though the farscape villains name was written/spoken as "Scorpius".

So has VR become the feature that killed off all talk of THE CLOUD™ eliminating the need for hardware upgrades?

You would have to say that this proves the Xbone was a terrible move for MS. They banked on the wrong gimmick (Kinect) as the future peripheral and put out such weak hardware that it never really had 60 fps 1080p titles, even at launch. No wonder they're ushering in its replacement already.

Jute88:

Jacked Assassin:

Xsjadoblayde:

2 things, firstly as noted above, his name was Scorpius. Secondly both the fictional character and the actor, Wayne Pygrim, would be too high class to have their name attached to this bullshit.

Damian Porter:

Strazdas:

Actually, the rumors turned out to be pretty accurate.

Except the rumors only saw one console incoming. They completely missed the XboneS. Seriously, whoever didn't order that idea dropped like a a hot potato immediately after the Roboscorpion was dreamt up internally, even if they were going to eat hardware and contract penalties, was a fucking idiot. While generally complacent, console buyers can be stubborn bastards.

If Sony was smart, when they announce further information about 4.5 they will explain, in detail, the reasoning behind it, both the VR and hardware aspects. Doing so would put them in a much more secure position from a PR standpoint. Might not help much against Nintendo's new offering if that's good enough, but it would, just like the PSMove decision, put them light years ahead of MS.

This move by MS and Sony is so weird. This is the 32X all over again.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here