First Trailer for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Debuted at E3

Pages 1 2 NEXT

First Trailer for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Debuted at E3

Nintendo opened its E3 conference today with the new trailer for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

The last E3 press conference is Nintendo's, and they didn't waste any time getting to the meat of their presentation, as they kicked off with a new trailer for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. The company doesn't have a lot of games at the show this year, choosing to instead go with a smaller lineup of title from big franchises.

The new Zelda trailer shows off the huge world, open environments, and gameplay of the upcoming title. Here, just watch.

First shown off at E3 2014, the newest Zelda was delayed out of 2015, and then was delayed again this year. It will now launch in March of 2017 on both the Wii U and the new Nintendo console, currently called the NX.

Thankfully it's still coming out for the Wii U. Thought it may end up being an NX exclusive. Hooray, I can play it!

It's refreshing to see a zelda game selling itself as an adventure, rsather than just flashing the standard iconography. besides link and a brief shot of the master sword it seems to be presenting entirely new material

The first part of that trailer felt very Shadow of the Colossus-y
Not a bad thing though. Also I'm not yet sure yet how I feel about full voice acting, even for characters who aren't Link.

Well I'M looking forward to it.

Eclipse Dragon:

There's a full-on stamina meter for climbing surfaces, so...

Apparently there's also breakable weapons.

Casual Shinji:

Eclipse Dragon:

They already did that in Skyward Sword. It was well after Colossus though (and nobody liked it).

Do I dare think this could be the first vocal Legend of Zelda game??? That would make a certain user on here happy (not me before you asekd, I remember a thread on wanting a speaking LoZ instead of the usual gibberish/ sound effect LoZ game).

I quite find it interesting how it seen you're just playing Link as himself long before be don the "Hero of Time" clothing and wielding the Master sword. Well it look like it would be a while before he become the Hero of Time unless he doesn't want to wear that all the time!

More Cel-Shaded bullshit.

Damn you Wind Waker fans for denying me a main Zelda game that graphically and artistically looks like Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask but next gen graphics.

Now I am gonna probably have stupid silly looking bosses and none of the badass ones from OoT, MM, and TP:

Now I am probably gonna get bosses as dumb and unintimidating looking as these:

Scarim Coral:
Do I dare think this could be the first vocal Legend of Zelda game??? That would make a certain user on here happy (not me before you asekd, I remember a thread on wanting a speaking LoZ instead of the usual gibberish/ sound effect LoZ game).

I quite find it interesting how it seen you're just playing Link as himself long before be don the "Hero of Time" clothing and wielding the Master sword. Well it look like it would be a while before he become the Hero of Time unless he doesn't want to wear that all the time!

Well, there were the CD-I games...but those definitely don't count.

Johnny Novgorod:

Casual Shinji:

Eclipse Dragon:

They already did that in Skyward Sword. It was well after Colossus though (and nobody liked it).

To be fair, it seems they greatly increased the stamina bar which eliminates the biggest problem with Skyward Sword's stamina bar.

Samtemdo8:

Dude, put the pictures in spoilers. It's way too large.

Johnny Novgorod:

Casual Shinji:

Eclipse Dragon:

It's my favourite in the series and the only one i ever bothered to finish

I'm watching the Treehouse stream right now. Damn the game looks awesome. Honestly I thought Nintendo would fuck up something really badly. But everything until now looks great.
Can't wait for it to come out. No wonder they delayed the game.

Samtemdo8:

Damn you Wind Waker fans for denying me a main Zelda game that graphically and artistically looks like Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask but next gen graphics.

Now I am gonna probably have stupid silly looking bosses and none of the badass ones from OoT, MM, and TP:

Now I am probably gonna get bosses as dumb and unintimidating looking as these:

Funny thing, my girlfriend disliked this new game because there's no Toon Link in it. To each their own, I guess.

That said, I hear Dark Souls games have awesome bosses. And the gameplay is kinda like Zelda, too, sans characters, puzzles, cute humour, fairy tale aesthetics and archetypes, and general upbeat feel. But if badass scary bosses are what you're looking for in a game then the Souls series is the one for you.

So Nintendo decided to remind everyone that Daddy is back in town. Seriously, the last two days were coma-inducing boredom aside from the Berserk game announcement.

I may be the odd man out here, but I watched a ton of the extended gameplay stream, and I hope that Nintendo still has lots of things to add to the game, because right now it's a vast open world full of a whole lot of nothing. I'm hoping they didn't make it so big that they couldn't fill it with stuff to do, but judging from today's stream, it kind of looked they might have.

This looks pretty high budget for a spin-off Zelda game. I can't say I'm too excited about this "Legend of Farcry"

ffronw:
I may be the odd man out here, but I watched a ton of the extended gameplay stream, and I hope that Nintendo still has lots of things to add to the game, because right now it's a vast open world full of a whole lot of nothing. I'm hoping they didn't make it so big that they couldn't fill it with stuff to do, but judging from today's stream, it kind of looked they might have.

I had the same feeling. I didn't watch all of the footage but what I did see was basically Link running around the wilderness beating up mosters and taking their loot. That shouldn't be enough for any modern sandbox game. Obviously there will be dungeons and puzzles and things but I really hope the overworld will be more than just rolling meadows with random monster infested ruins thrown here and there.

ShadowHand25:
This looks pretty high budget for a spin-off Zelda game. I can't say I'm too excited about this "Legend of Farcry"

Who said it's a spinoff?

It's breaking away from traditional Zelda conventions. Considering how fans CONSTANTLY criticize Nintendo over how Zelda is the same game being rereleased every couple of years, you'd think that this is what fans are asking for.

I imagine that the game'll have a lot more direction than what was shown. They said at the beginning that they were hiding the story elements.

This isn't the first Zelda game to do half of the things it's doing either. Skyward Sword had the resource collecting, stamina meter, climbing, non linearity etc. This game seems like it's taking all of those elements, and then refining them based on criticisms from Skyward Sword.

Just a few examples..
-The stamina gauge is noticeably larger. Link is shown to climb, sprint and glide for quite a long time before it depletes
-Motion controls were scrapped. They've been replaced with the Flurry system, which looks really cool. The first game trailer showed it being used to aim the bow. If plenty of similar functions are used with the flurry, it'll make for exciting gameplay.
-Weapons and shields are replacable in the field. It seems to have done away with having to return to Skyloft to repair your shield, and you can instead simply pick up enemy weapons. They also did this in Wind Waker.

It seems like they're really listebing to fans on this game. It'll definitely be fun, especially with how much time is being sunk into it.

ffronw:

Yeah, it all looks a bit sparse. There's a definate Shadow of the Colossus feel to the world, without the intended sense of isolation and loneliness. The climb everywhere mechanic is cool though.

Casual Shinji:

ffronw:

Yeah, it all looks a bit sparse. There's a definate Shadow of the Colossus feel to the world, without the intended sense of isolation and loneliness. The climb everywhere mechanic is cool though.

They mentioned that all of the npc's besides the old man and story elements had been removed for the E3 version.

I'm expecting some of the more faithful Zelda fans to start pitching a fit about some of the changes they're making. The game is turning more into a mishmash of Zelda, Dark Souls, Shadow of the Colossus, and Far Cry. I for one welcome the changes.

kekkres:
They mentioned that all of the npc's besides the old man and story elements had been removed for the E3 version.

That seems very counter-productive for an E3 demo. 'Let's make the game look worse so we can show people why they need to buy it.' Might've been better to show off one of the dungeons, instead of having this awkward let's play where Link is faffing around in the middle of nowhere.

So things to take away from the stream:

Nintendo: BTW, the Plateau is just one part of the map as a whole.

Gamers: Huh?

Nintendo: Oh, and there are over a hundred of these Shrines littered throughout the landscape

Gamers: HUH?

Nintendo: And Dungeons are separate from Shrines

Gamers: HUH!?

Nintendo: And here's a tiny bit of the map outside of the Plateau

Gamers: -Heads explode en masse-

Nintendo: Man, you guys ain't gonna last until release.

Looks pretty amazing. I was hoping for a darker Twilight Princess-style feel. But given that it might've ended up looking like an (even more) high-fantasy Skyrim, I think I'll give a cell-shaded open world adventure a chance. It looks gorgeous as a cell shaded game. While I get the dialogue that the whole twin launch thing might be terrible in the long run ... as I'd imagine the NX version would be more of a 'remaster, with nothing but better graphics...'

Still ... two thumbs up. Zelda sums up gaming for me. Since I was 4 ... it's been my biggest exposure to gaming, perhaps shy of tabletop gaming ... but I can't remember a single time when I've said; "This is shit..." when playing the non-titular character and with a controller in my hands (Barring those Games That Shall Not Be Named) ... I'm sure I'll atleast like it ... so first day purchase for me.

If it gives me a Hyrule half the size of Xenoblade XC then I won't complain. I do wonder how they'll manage monster difficulties (given no levels). I'd imagine some open world monsters can't be defeated without certain weaponry/gadgets .... but if that is the only barrier, it sounds like you're going to spend a lot of the game doing the Xenoblade XC thing of timing movement to coincide with monster movement paths and aggro zones.

There seems to be a stealth element in there at least

Thing is, without levels and just having monster/attack specific set damage rates that might be kind of better as a world. Rather than the Skyrim thing of world levelling or XCX's set area monster levels ... but rather, the cooler idea of; "You can take on any monster ... but if you fuck up once or twice you die." Feels more heroic that way ... like you were always born with the ability to become that person who you were always meant to be ... just with experience and the right gear you get better at being that person.

It's kind of odd, but I was thinking of early '17 games I might like and both this and Horizon are coming up on my radar, with little in competition. Both open world. Both have people riding mounts, running around with bows, arrows, and spears ... fighting gigantic beasts. Coincidence, maybe.

ffronw:

Eh, I definitely see your point, but I do think towards the end when we explored some of the other areas it does diversify a lot more. What with the two overworld bosses and whatnot. Plus they are avoiding the towns as well as any story so it could be better. With that being said I can see what you're saying but in my opinion the emptiness of the world kind of emphasizes the isolation and decay of Hyrule.

Wow. I've never been a big Zelda fan (I just dislike the formula and puzzle style at times) but this looks pretty incredible. Ghibli-SoTC-Zelda. Fuck me. Definitely interested, maybe enough to buy a WiiU.

Although I am a fan of exploration games. Just give me a world like this and I'll comb every inch of it. I understand that's not enough for some people though, and this is definitely a shakeup for the formula.

Was that Link wearing a full suit of armor that didn't make him look like a pansy?
Give me a fully covering Helmet to slap on to his head and I can get my Dark Souls jollies on (I REALLY hope they do give us a face covering helmet though)

PaulH:
If it gives me a Hyrule half the size of Xenoblade XC then I won't complain. I do wonder how they'll manage monster difficulties (given no levels). I'd imagine some open world monsters can't be defeated without certain weaponry/gadgets .... but if that is the only barrier, it sounds like you're going to spend a lot of the game doing the Xenoblade XC thing of timing movement to coincide with monster movement paths and aggro zones.

There seems to be a stealth element in there at least

Thing is, without levels and just having monster/attack specific set damage rates that might be kind of better as a world. Rather than the Skyrim thing of world levelling or XCX's set area monster levels ... but rather, the cooler idea of; "You can take on any monster ... but if you fuck up once or twice you die." Feels more heroic that way ... like you were always born with the ability to become that person who you were always meant to be ... just with experience and the right gear you get better at being that person.

Judging by the Treehouse videos, I think there will be things that can one shot you regardless. In a few of the videos they tried taking on an awakened, but stuck, guardian which was doing about 5.5 hearts worth of damage a shot, albeit with a long delay. It was built like a tank with 500 HP and the highest strength bow we saw was Attack 14 and there were at least 10 fire arrows. Can't find the damage on those but it took 2-3 to drop a 72HP mob. Even without the arrow upgrades the Treehouse guy managed to knock off 50-60HP before he died or ran off (can't remember.) The random rock monster can probably do similar damage but took 25-33% of damage from just climbing on it and beating it with a sword.

I kind of like the idea that they go more XCX with it, there are things out there that can quickly kill you unless you avoid them, gather stronger gear, or just have a good amount of skill. Both of the guardians and the rock monster could be conceivably killed without needing that much gear beyond what's already available on the plateau and I'm sure someone will get kills on them during the floor demo.

Legend of Zelder Scrolls looks great, pretty stoked for it. Glad to see a new direction for LoZ.

oh dear, voiceovers.
Prepare for cringe.

Looks interesting. Did anyone else felt that the level of technology felt a bit more primitive than usual? Meaning that it seemed something like the Iron Age instead of a more sophisticated era like in previous Zelda games?

Also, I wonder who the villain is going to be, I remember them talking something about having a break from Ganondorf.

Definitely looks different from the standard Zelda fare, but I like the look of it. As others have said, it's got a Ghibli-Zelda-SotC feel going on. So long as it still has other characters, towns and plot then it should be good. Heck, if they can make lightning strike twice and include a character as adored as Midna, then this one could be amazing.

It appears to be playing in the future of Windwaker, seeing how you could see a Korok in the gameplay demo on the floor. Exciting. Windwaker is the best Zelda we ever had.

Jute88:
Looks interesting. Did anyone else felt that the level of technology felt a bit more primitive than usual? Meaning that it seemed something like the Iron Age instead of a more sophisticated era like in previous Zelda games?

Also, I wonder who the villain is going to be, I remember them talking something about having a break from Ganondorf.

They have been having a break from Ganon since TP. He's name dropped a couple of times in the demo so he's definitely back, apparently as ''Calamity Ganon''

Jute88:

Actually kinda felt like the opposite. With the Sheikah Slablet Link has it felt kinda like it was highly advanced but had regressedva bit.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.