David Cage and Quantic Dream Return to E3 with Detroit: Become Human

Pages 1 2 NEXT

David Cage and Quantic Dream Return to E3 with Detroit: Become Human

detroit-become-human-320

Head to a near-future Detroit filled with androids in Quantic Dreams Detroit: Become Human.

Way back in 2012, David Cage was showing off a new engine using a short film about an android named Kara. This week at E3, we got to see where that short film led: to the new Quantic Dream game Detroit: Become Human. First announced during Paris Games Week last year and set in a near-future Detroit where androids have replaced humans in many professions, the game centers around a mysterious event that affects the androids in a variety of ways.

The E3 trailer focuses on an android named Connor. He's an advanced version of android designed to help the police investigate cases that involve deviant androids. Connor appears on the scene of a hostage situation where a deviant android i threatening to jump off a rooftop holding a little girl. Whether or not the girl survives is up to you. Your choices and decisions will shape the outcome of the situations you encounter.

Every decision will have consequences, either in the immediate situation or later in the game. Every character in the game can die, and the story will continue without them.

There's no release date for Detroit: Become Human yet, and obviously, it's a PS4 exclusive.

Good concept, but I'm wary that it'll actually be executed properly. As this is Quantic Dream, I'm predicting the story is an incoherent mess, and tries to hide this fact by being hella pretentious.

P.S. Thanks

With that many polygons, this is sure to be the video game with the most emoshuns ever made, in all time, ever.

The Real Sandman:
With that many polygons, this is sure to be the video game with the most emoshuns ever made, in all time, ever.

With soo many polygons it will be the most human game ever, for polygons equal emotions and emotions means peoples.

Silentpony:

The Real Sandman:

With soo many polygons it will be the most human game ever, for polygons equal emotions and emotions means peoples.

The Character you see here has no emoshuns, but with the power of polygons you can truly see the emotions and therefore the personality in his emotionless emotions

Covarr:
Good concept, but I'm wary that it'll actually be executed properly. As this is Quantic Dream, I'm predicting the story is an incoherent mess, and tries to hide this fact by being hella pretentious.

P.S. Thanks

Quantic Dream? Pretentious? Say it isn't so!

They had me at Detroit, but lost me at Become Human.
If I wanted to "become human" I would settle for reality.

So Blade Runner except stupid.

I just hope Cage doesn't go full Tatsuya Ishida with this subject.

But what about Kara?
I'd be sad if the concept was.. well, nothing relevant.

I think people give david cage more shit than he deserves. He says a bunch of stupid stuff and his design philosophy is ultimately flawed in my opinion but i respect that he is
1) Honest if pretentius

2)Passionate if mad

His games aren't good by any stretch of the word but i can't help but feel that it's strange how much hate he attracts while all the big companies often get off relatively easy by comparison. He is just a madman in his own little bubble that doesn't really affect the bigger picture of gaming in any meaningful way

Fuck
Yes

I cannot wait for the Super Best Friends Play Detroit: Become Human. It's gonna blow so good!

It looks interesting, as long as it doesn't devolve into another cutscene fest.

GrumbleGrump:
Fuck
Yes

I cannot wait for the Super Best Friends Play Detroit: Become Human. It's gonna blow so good!

Hell yeah! Get hype!

Wow, another "original" idea by the "genius" David Cage. Why do I have a feeling this will be a rip-off of every movie/book/game about dangers of AI with pretentiousness dialed to 11? Why doesn't he just quit at this point? Small studios like Telltale and Dontnod make better games (and episodic ones at that) than anything this man has ever made. And guess what? They had plenty of "emooshons" despite the sub-par graphics.

Metalix Knightmare:
I just hope Cage doesn't go full Tatsuya Ishida with this subject.

It will either be that, or he goes on another stage bender about theese 'emoshun' things.

Could go either way, could go both ways.

I can't wait for this, not to play it, but to watch the Zaibatsu tear it apart. To hear Pat's giggling laughter when something retarded happens, for Matt to exclaim "WHAT?!" at all the ridiculousness, for Woolie to fuck up and create the best moment of the playthrough by speaking without thinking. Not so much the apologetics from Liam, but 3 outta 4 ain't bad. And normally I like that kid.

CyanCat47:
I think people give david cage more shit than he deserves. He says a bunch of stupid stuff and his design philosophy is ultimately flawed in my opinion but i respect that he is
1) Honest if pretentius

2)Passionate if mad

His games aren't good by any stretch of the word but i can't help but feel that it's strange how much hate he attracts while all the big companies often get off relatively easy by comparison. He is just a madman in his own little bubble that doesn't really affect the bigger picture of gaming in any meaningful way

I feel this sentiment. Not sure why either. Either way, I am excited for the possiblities for this game. I like Telltale games and I liked Heavy Rain. I think David just needs a concept to work with and paranormal ghost powers wasn't it

...why is it always Detroit that's doing the whole 'cyborg' thing?

Wrex Brogan:

Only Detroit knows, and it ain't trustin' no slackjaw human protein mound to responsibly retain such classified intelligence!
Anyway...who? Is David Cage something I missed out on as a gamer of videos? This looks pretty, but so does every tarted fart we're asked to pre-whiff.

Wrex Brogan:

Because Detroit, in the minds of certain studios, equates to "Apocalyptic wasteland, the city", just waiting to be rescued by new, amazing tech.

Add another one for the tickets to "Super Best Friends play 'Detroit'".

I'm still gonna play this game though, I don't hate Quantic Dream *that* much. Oh, they're bad, I know, but I can turn off my brain enough to enjoy what they are, or at least what they were *going for*.

But how many polygons will there be in this new game? I MUST KNOW!!! o.o

kenu12345:

CyanCat47:
1) Honest if pretentius

2)Passionate if mad

I feel this sentiment. Not sure why either. Either way, I am excited for the possiblities for this game. I like Telltale games and I liked Heavy Rain. I think David just needs a concept to work with and paranormal ghost powers wasn't it

And a more focused plot. Beyond went from paranormal thriller, to modern warfare/espionage, to native american mysticism and ended up feeling unfocused and completely ridiculous. It was also way less extensive than heavy rain. one of the things i admired the most about HR was that the story continued even if main characters died, and the idead of each character getting their own ending was pretty cool too

GrumbleGrump:
Fuck
Yes

But who would play it tho?

Race traitor Wollie would kill all humans.
Pat would kill all the robutts.
Matt would be passive aggressive about every cutscene.
and Liam would be dead.

EHKOS:
I can't wait for this, not to play it, but to watch the Zaibatsu tear it apart. To hear Pat's giggling laughter when something retarded happens, for Matt to exclaim "WHAT?!" at all the ridiculousness, for Woolie to fuck up and create the best moment of the playthrough by speaking without thinking. Not so much the apologetics from Liam, but 3 outta 4 ain't bad. And normally I like that kid.

"Hands up don't shoot."

Man once Woolie realized the context of what he said and covered his mouth wanting to die right there. It was the best.

CyanCat47:

kenu12345:

CyanCat47:
1) Honest if pretentius

2)Passionate if mad

And a more focused plot. Beyond went from paranormal thriller, to modern warfare/espionage, to native american mysticism and ended up feeling unfocused and completely ridiculous. It was also way less extensive than heavy rain. one of the things i admired the most about HR was that the story continued even if main characters died, and the idead of each character getting their own ending was pretty cool too

Same and honestly, this premise doesn't seem over the top and has alot of potential to be more focused. High hopes here man. Kinda reminding me of Heavy Rain from what they shown so far only with a bit of sci fi elements

InflatableHippo:

GrumbleGrump:
Fuck
Yes

But who would play it tho?

Race traitor Wollie would kill all humans.
Pat would kill all the robutts.
Matt would be passive aggressive about every cutscene.
and Liam would be dead.

I think it would be more along the lines "everyone's depressed and dissapointed".

So they solved the problem of protagonist moving like a robot by making it an actual robot? I kid, this actually sounds cool. Now if Cage could make an actual game out of it instead of a QTE movie....

ALso obligatory - this game will have a lot of polygons for all the emoshuns.

Adam Jensen:
Small studios like Telltale and Dontnod make better games (and episodic ones at that) than anything this man has ever made.

You say episodic as if that is a positive. Why?

Extra-Ordinary:

I'm still gonna play this game though, I don't hate Quantic Dream *that* much. Oh, they're bad, I know, but I can turn off my brain enough to enjoy what they are, or at least what they were *going for*.

Quantic Dream games are like crack. They are bad, you know they are bad, but you just cant stop playing them.

Whenever I see games like this, I'm always like - I'd watch this if it was a movie. Or read this if it were a book.

Strazdas:
You say episodic as if that is a positive. Why?

I didn't mean for it to sound like that. Almost the exact opposite, actually. Companies that make episodic games do a far better job than David Cage. That is what I meant.

The last of David Cage's games I played was Indigo Prophecy, which was fun in its own way. My partner and I often play story heavy games together and enjoy them as if they were a movie, which is what Quantic Dream's games seem to be made for.

They're not that great gameplay wise (QTE's just aren't that enjoyable), but the experience (atleast for Indigo Prophecy) was fun. I, as an avid Asimov fan, look forward to Detroit: Become Human (even if it'll be fluff/bad in comparison to other works on the same subject), and will probably get it once I buy a PS4.

Wrex Brogan:

In my mind it's because (state of the art) auto industry + crime rate.

UberPubert:

GrumbleGrump:
Fuck
Yes

Hell yeah! Get hype!

Please get excite.

Man, at this point I just feel kind of bad for Quantic Dream at this point, people are more excited for the LP that tears into it more than the game itself.

Jim Sterling's taint has not left this website it seems.

Can we please stop the whole mocking of this guy for the whole (Polygons = Emotions) thing?

And I geniunenly enjoyed Heavy Rain. And at least that game had mulitple endings and paths.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here