Team Fortress 2 Competitive Matchmaking Finally Arrives

Team Fortress 2 Competitive Matchmaking Finally Arrives

Team Fortress 2's competitive matchmaking patch also brings a "casual" matchmaking mode.

When Team Fortress 2 first began, it was one of the "old guard" shooters - with a server browser that allowed players to pick and choose what ever servers they wanted, and drop-in and out of games at will. These days, matchmaking, and ranked matchmaking are all the rage, and so finally, Valve has implemented the long-requested competitive matchmaking patch.

It'll work much the same way that another class based shooter that rhymes with Smoverwatch's ranked play works. You'll queue up for a match, and the system will place you with a team of similarly ranked players. Winning matches will increase your rank, while losing or abandoning matches in progress with decrease it. There are eighteen ranks to climb through, and at the end of each match players from each team will be awarded gold, silver and bronze medals for score, kills, damage, healing and support (also like "Smoverwatch").

To access competitive matchmaking, you will need to either provide Valve a real-world phone number (for "security reasons") or shell out $9.99 for a lifetime "Competitive Access Pass".

In addition to competitive matchmaking, casual matchmaking will be released alongside it. Now, instead of jumping randomly into an in-progress game, you'll be matched into an unranked 12v12 game with players of similar skill.

You can check out the full F.A.Q. here if you have any more questions.

Competitive mode is something that fans have been asking for for a really long time, and Valve has even tested a few variants of it as they ummed and ahhed. I certainly feel like the release of Overwatch's competitive mode has finally spurred them into action, but is it too little, too late?

Source: Valve

Why is security reasons in sarcasm quotes? Why do you act as though Overwatch adding a competitive mode is the reason Valve added the same to Team Fortress 2, when Valve had announced this new mode last year (and had even set a tentative release date for the summer)?

"Smoverwatch"? Seriously?

Is this what news items have become? Quote, verbatim, things seen elsewhere and make up the rest?

Regardless, this should be a nice addition to the game. In the very least, it's (finally) official support for the competitive scene that's been active for years already.

To add what Bogos left out of the article:

-> 3 community maps added: Sunshine, Metal Works (Both 5CP), and Swiftwater (Payload).

-> the "Perpetual Beta" mode Pass Time has been added as a full game mode.

-> Normal Quickplay will include a slight XP system to help put players into games with players roughly of the same skill level and prevent good players being stuck on a team with 9 Snipers.

-> According to the TF2 Competetive player B4nny who visited Valve recently, tomorrow will be the day where they release the full list of balances and bugfixes.

-> Someone found the banner image for tomorrow's update and it seems to be a Heavy V Pyro WAR update (Similar to Sniper Vs Spy and Demoman Vs Soldier updates of the past)

Alas, my laptop cannot handle TF2 anymore, so I cannot enjoy the Match Making. I played some of the Beta for it and I thought it was pretty decent. Hopefully this help TF2, especially since a lot of the big TF2 people are moving on/have moved on (especially to Overwatch, which I have no interest in).

Vigormortis:
Why is security reasons in sarcasm quotes?

What makes TF2 so special that it requires your phone number? No other online game has this requirement. I feel like it's just Blizzard trying to force people who feel uncomfortable giving their phone number over to pay the $10 "fee". Surely a premium account should suffice?

Steven Bogos:

Vigormortis:

What makes TF2 so special that it requires your phone number? No other online game has this requirement. I feel like it's just Blizzard trying to force people who feel uncomfortable giving their phone number over to pay the $10 "fee". Surely a premium account should suffice?

It's primarily to prevent hacking.

If you are not aware, TF2, CSGO, and other games tend to suffer from a plague of hackers. The phone verification thing is actually STEAM wide. The phone-number requirement is designed to limit the ability of hackers to simply make new accounts to continue playing- CSGO has a similar thing in place.
Adding the Phone Verification requirement, to my (Limited) knowledge has done some things to reduce the ammount of hacking and scams in TF2.

Steam is, in general, pushing the phone verification to prevent theft and scams, as was commonly complained about in various trading communities.

Steven Bogos:

Vigormortis:

Steam Verification has been a big push of Valve to decrease the bad apples in all of Steam. First it was a part of Escrow to avoid scams and hacks. Now it is included in comp to avoid hackers. What is special about TF2? That it is a free to play game in a free client. If you get banned in one account, open a new one and cheat again. And the size of Steam compered to Battle.net makes it a lot harder to track through alternative means. This way it either forces you to have a sinhle comp accoun with verification or fork ten buck every time you create a new account, so banned players are monetarily punished for their ban. That would seem a logical reason to add verification.

OT: It has been a long time and I love this comp mode in the xasual and ranked modes. It is awesome to have more choices and it gives a mixed experience. Hope it increses the player base. I just have to check if nines is a comp mode yet.

kurokotetsu:
I just have to check if nines is a comp mode yet.

Nines hasn't been unlocked yet but we'll see what happens tomorrow. So far it's just 6s which is ok because that's the most popular competitive format. Personally I hope for 9s to be full class-limit Highlander gameplay but I don't hold out much hope for that.

I feel like I'm at a crossroads with TF2. I've been playing it fairly regularly since 2007, and it's hardly even the same game I fell in love with anymore.

I've ranted about the current state of TF2 many times, so I'll spare folks my usual spiel. Suffice to say I've witnessed a game I adore devolve into a twisted mockery of its former self by Valve's own hand.

Yet in spite of all this I still find myself coming back, because there are just enough moment-to-moment experiences that make it seem worthwhile. I feel like a battered housewife at this point. And now Valve comes back to whisper sweet nothings in my ear, promising features that us old-timers were begging to be implemented for NINE. FUCKING. YEARS.

If this doesn't work out, if Valve screws this up or the current TF2 community rejects this, then I think it may be finally time to move on to greener pastures. I hear Overwatch is lovely this time of year...

Vigormortis:
Why is security reasons in sarcasm quotes? Why do you act as though Overwatch adding a competitive mode is the reason Valve added the same to Team Fortress 2, when Valve had announced this new mode last year (and had even set a tentative release date for the summer)?

Is this what news items have become? Quote, verbatim, things seen elsewhere and make up the rest?

Regardless, this should be a nice addition to the game. In the very least, it's (finally) official support for the competitive scene that's been active for years already.

It's the nature of the beast around here, at least with certain Escapist staff. I've given up trying to address it long ago.

Neverhoodian:

I feel like I'm at a crossroads with TF2. I've been playing it fairly regularly since 2007, and it's hardly even the same game I fell in love with anymore.

I've ranted about the current state of TF2 many times, so I'll spare folks my usual spiel. Suffice to say I've witnessed a game I adore devolve into a twisted mockery of its former self by Valve's own hand.

Yet in spite of all this I still find myself coming back, because there are just enough moment-to-moment experiences that make it seem worthwhile. I feel like a battered housewife at this point. And now Valve comes back to whisper sweet nothings in my ear, promising features that us old-timers were begging to be implemented for NINE. FUCKING. YEARS.

If this doesn't work out, if Valve screws this up or the current TF2 community rejects this, then I think it may be finally time to move on to greener pastures. I hear Overwatch is lovely this time of year...

Vigormortis:

It's the nature of the beast around here, at least with certain Escapist staff. I've given up trying to address it long ago.

Wow someone who actually think as I do about Team Fortress 2?!

That the Free-to-play, Hats that give benefits like increased weapon damage, firing speed, etc. actually ruined the game from a competitive and "team-work" element of it?

I miss Team Fortress 2 when it came out in 2007.

Samtemdo8:

That the Free-to-play, Hats that give benefits like increased weapon damage, firing speed, etc. actually ruined the game from a competitive and "team-work" element of it?

... Hats don't give benefits. They never have, and probably never will. Where did you get that information? The only benefit Hats give is that certain hats make people think you're better at the game, when Hats don't actually determine anything at all...

We currently exist in a dark, dystopian world where the only good version of Team Fortress 2 is the version on the Orange box that is completely unpatched, and therefore not twisted in an abomination that calls to me even now from my hard drive, begging for death. I hope that the new mode is good for those people who have stuck around, but as long as the game is in its current form, it won't be enough to draw me back.

Mr.Mattress:

Samtemdo8:

... Hats don't give benefits. They never have, and probably never will. Where did you get that information? The only benefit Hats give is that certain hats make people think you're better at the game, when Hats don't actually determine anything at all...

For a time Valve was putting in "item sets" that gave passive bonuses, the Milkman set for the scout and the Gas Jockey kit for the pyro come to mind. The Gas Jockey set gave you a passive speed boost if you had all three items of the set equipped while the Milkman set gave the scout a flat 25% extra health.

It was a short lived thing and both sets now only have the effect "leave a calling card on your victims" while the passive buffs have been moved to some of the other things in the set (the powerjack got the speed boost for example)

Mr.Mattress:

Samtemdo8:

But I have seen in game items that gave you benefits like faster reload speeds or slightly extra damage one time I did play Team Fortress 2.

Samtemdo8:

Mr.Mattress:

Samtemdo8:

But I have seen in game items that gave you benefits like faster reload speeds or slightly extra damage one time I did play Team Fortress 2.

In TF2 you can obtain unlocks that you can equip that have different properties than the stock weapons you start with, usually a +/- relationship.

Once upon a time they're was set bonuses for wearing a set of items together, like one for the scout where he got +25 health, but all of them have been removed from the game and replaced with a cosmetic bonus.

In general, any unlock you can equip is generally a side grade from the stock weapons you start with, so it's a pretty level field when you start for the first time (except melee weapons, but even then it's fine to a degree)

Wackymon:

Steven Bogos:

Vigormortis:

It's primarily to prevent hacking.

If you are not aware, TF2, CSGO, and other games tend to suffer from a plague of hackers.

Then that begs the question, why have competitive TF2 at all? If hacking is so much of a problem that it deters the game and the devs themselves can't keep hackers out, why have the mode?

Valve isn't all that secure either, Steam being hacked isn't all that uncommon. Putting a phone number into Valve's databases isn't the smartest idea.

Charging 10 bucks for competitive is a pretty garbage move though, even if TF2 is F2P, as Bogos pointed out, its the only game that does this as a requirement for a mode. Steam is known for pulling anti-consumer moves and because 80% of PC gamers use it they can get away with it here and there.

This doesn't help grow a TF2 competitive scene either. Until I see vanilla loadouts only the games will go on favour of whoever spent money in TF2 stomping out those who didn't.

I had a go through the full changelog in the other thread so I figured sharing it in here would be handy. Just... Dear sweet god some of these changes...

vallorn:
I had a go through the full changelog in the other thread so I figured sharing it in here would be handy. Just... Dear sweet god some of these changes...
[spoiler]THE UPDATE HAS GONE LIVE! Let's break down the changelog!
Snip

Just one little nit-pick: the only time you're gonna be running away from a Spy is when you have next to no HP, even if you're playing one of the more fragile, indirect classes, and even then he's gonna be using his revolver: his butter-knife is definitely sub-par if you know where he is. So, I dunno... I guess you're right that he's gonna be more annoying if you're trying to sprint to a health kit, but still: his extra speed gets reduced whenever he disguises as a slower class.

Infernal Lawyer:

vallorn:
Snip

Just one little nit-pick: the only time you're gonna be running away from a Spy is when you have next to no HP, even if you're playing one of the more fragile, indirect classes, and even then he's gonna be using his revolver: his butter-knife is definitely sub-par if you know where he is. So, I dunno... I guess you're right that he's gonna be more annoying if you're trying to sprint to a health kit, but still: his extra speed gets reduced whenever he disguises as a slower class.

It also helps with certain kinds of "trickstabs" though since the extra speed lets you move around people for the 'matador' or 'corner' stabs with them being even less able to track you.

Steven Bogos:

Vigormortis:

It's a steam account security thing. Having your account bound to your phone number makes it nigh impossible to break into your steam account, even if they have your username and password. They'd need to have your phone or the SIM card, too. It's also a preventative measure against hackers, because it's harder to just make a new account if you get banned when you need a new phone number too.

vallorn:

Infernal Lawyer:

vallorn:
Snip

It also helps with certain kinds of "trickstabs" though since the extra speed lets you move around people for the 'matador' or 'corner' stabs with them being even less able to track you.

Not convinced that 20 extra speed is going to make that much of a difference in a split second, but you're technically correct, and I guess there's already people who are testing the actual math of it.

That being said, I find that trick-stabbers are easier to deal with when you anticipate their intentions, rather than attempting to twitch-react to their movements. But that's just a relic of my preferred "planning over reflexes" gameplay.

Vigormortis:

That's kind of the point though. They'd been "promising" competitive for years, but didn't actually get off their ass and do it until now. I'm willing to bet that if Overwatch hadn't come along they'd still be "promising" it today.

Aeshi:
That's kind of the point though. They'd been "promising" competitive for years, but didn't actually get off their ass and do it until now. I'm willing to bet that if Overwatch hadn't come along they'd still be "promising" it today.

Except, they announced a launch date for the competitive mode before Overwatch was released. Hell, they've even been running it in beta before Overwatch launched.

I get that there are some on this forum who like to make up reasons to criticize and hate Valve over. Some are legitimate. Some are funny. But this one is just dumb. Jesus...

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.