Evolve Pulled From Steam, Gets Mysterious Countdown

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Evolve Pulled From Steam, Gets Mysterious Countdown

evolve wraith screenshot

Could Evolve be going free-to-play?

Evolve was a really cool idea for a game that was unfortunately plagued with terrible business decisions, leading to its quick demise. But, Evolve may not be dead yet! Eurogamer discovered that the game has been removed from sale on Steam, and the official website is counting down to what Turtle Rock Studios co-founder Phil Robb is describing as [the game's] biggest, craziest update yet!"

The most popular theory is that the game is going free-to-play, which would certainly explain why it has been pulled from sale. Given that many users complained that the game had a lot of expensive DLC on top of being a full-priced game, it does make a lot of sense.

So, don't count Evolve out just yet! The countdown expires tomorrow at 12PM ET, so we won't have to wait long to find out what this is all about.

Source: Eurogamer

Going free to play, calling it. Considering how much dlc they had, it would make sense.

I think this is too late to ring in enough people to make it worthwhile, with overwatch, battleborn and tf2's competitive mode releasing, I don't see this roping in many fps style people to it.

Still, at least it's a nice punch in the face to realize their business decisions were horrible.

Nobody cares about you Evolve. Just go away.

Yep, probably free to play.

And yep its probably way, way too late for it. Frankly I played it for a free weekend and within those couple of days I was already bored. I MIGHT play it free to play but with the many, many other pieces of entertainment I've got trying to attract my attention in my backlog at the moment, and the far better games that are distracting me for dip-in and dip-out playing, its a very low priority.

"game has BEE removed!"

No wonder it was such an asshole ;-)

Anyway, I doubt it. That would be too good to be true. The game industry is not a fairy tale.

That's got to be annoying to people who paid full price. Maybe they should get some bonus DLC at least?

I liked Evolved. Wouldn't play it without friends though.

So, it's, er, 'evolving' its business model then?

Worgen:
Going free to play, calling it. Considering how much dlc they had, it would make sense.

I'd actually try playing it, then. It'd depend on the P2W elements of any extra monsters, and how long matchmaking is.

Wow, what a big "Fuck you." to the whole tens of people that purchased the game.

Brian Tams:
Wow, what a big "Fuck you." to the whole tens of people that purchased the game.

I think that happened about two weeks after they bought it already when the game's legs fell off.

Pyrian:
That's got to be annoying to people who paid full price. Maybe they should get some bonus DLC at least?

If you hold your breath for that kind of fairness, you'd pass out and hit your head on the coffee table first :)

OT; Is a game going f2p really worthy of putting a countdown on the store page? Seems... weak.

Eh, I'd give it a shot if it went F2P. The game format would have to change rather substantially in order to hold my attention, though...my understanding is that every game plays out in one of the following ways:

A: The hunters catch the monster in the first 2 minutes and kill the fuck out of it.
B: The hunters spend 10 minutes following footprints until the level 3 monster shows up and utterly destroys them.

From my understanding, its a major (I mean a very major) patch that is coming. I highly doubt it is F2P. It just a huge update that is going to change how the game is going to be played from now on.

Well if it goes F2P, my friend who genuinely loved the game will finally get his wish granted of me playing it with him.

I have seen hints about a big "Stage 2" update already a couple of days ago in the SteamDB.

The F2P theory is in my opinion corroborated by this exchange between Phil Robb and some other dude on Twitter:

alex valenzuela: @FilRobb @EvolveGame update?? Info I loved that game but dropped it due to player base shrinking still have it

Phil Robb: @_AlexTheCreator @EvolveGame well, we think we have a solution for that!

Phil Robb:
biggest, craziest update yet!

If it's going F2P, it's going to make sense from a consumer-friendly perspective. That's so big! And CRRRRRAZY!!!

Maybe I'll try it out. Just recently tryed out Warframe, it's awesome. Thanks to myself moving over 400 kilometres specifically to a flat where I get decent internet.

...it'd be really funny if they announced a subscription service, so you could get access to EVEN MORE DLC.

To be honest though, if they do go free to play, I'm still not going to play it. That '100 pieces of launch day DLC' shit rubbed me the wrong way, I'm not gonna be nice just because they're bringing out the butter.

Hm, I don't think "craziest" is the word they're looking for. Maybe...more like "incredibly predictable and a prelude to death sentence to every game that's ever made poor development decisions".

Pffff, I wouldn't touch this abomination of greed even if they'd pay me to play it XD

Zydrate:

Worgen:

I'd actually try playing it, then. It'd depend on the P2W elements of any extra monsters, and how long matchmaking is.

Didn't stick with it long enough to see the DLC monsters, but the first round of DLC hunters were heading that way, with several of the DLC ones being multi-role fillers with previously exclusive abilities from other classes.

Granted, that could've equally been a loss for ideas as a P2W strategy. Run out of ideas, just start copying existing abilities to different guys with minor cosmetic alterations.

Me and a few friends would probably play it if it were free.

But we'd need a party of 5. The Kraken just made the game un-fun, and lack of communication between teammates/enemy was also a super-massive detractor. I had a chance to play a trial, and really, It's a good idea, but it's just not impressive by any stretch of the imagination.

Hopefully, things have changed considerably.

008Zulu:
If you hold your breath for that kind of fairness, you'd pass out and hit your head on the coffee table first :)

OT; Is a game going f2p really worthy of putting a countdown on the store page? Seems... weak.

Pretty much everything about the marketing and sales of Evolve an be described as weak. Why would the latest announcement be any different? Still, if it's free it might actually be worth picking up and playing again, although it's most fundamental flaw on release was how boring it quickly became,

Pyrian:

At this point, if any of them still care the prospect of having people to pay the game with again would surely outweigh the frustration of them having gotten in for free.

Not sure if it's a timer ticking down, or if it's just their player count dwindling.

A bad game that couldn't make it as a fully priced product because nobody wanted to play it and they think switching to some abysmal f2p model will save them.

Not much of a mysterious countdown now, now that the devs explained it goes F2P.
Although, I have no bloody clue how it'll help the game since you practically get it with a box of cornflakes, if unwanted perhaps.

F2P has been confirmed, hopefully it helps the game out. I find Evolve to be such a sad story, there is so much about that game I love, but stupid greedy decisions killed it.

SirSullymore:
F2P has been confirmed, hopefully it helps the game out. I find Evolve to be such a sad story, there is so much about that game I love, but stupid greedy decisions killed it.

Blame 2K. And currently they are well underway to kill Battleborn the same way.

fix-the-spade:
it's most fundamental flaw on release was how boring it quickly became

I don't think making it free will fix that.

I know, I like BB too! I guess I just like any class/hero based shooter game. Haha

SirSullymore:
I know, I like BB too! I guess I just like any class/hero based shooter game. Haha

Hey. I bought Bb day one, and later on got the seasonpass. Though 2K's meddling made me want to take a long break from the game until all SP content is released. Damn shame though, Orendi and Whisky Foxtrot are my favorite characters in that game.

Wish GBX could go to another publisher for BL3...

lol, i completely forgot about it. i know how many people complained not only about the DLCs, but also that the game isnt anything special. i know angry joe gave it a poor review.

Metalrocks:
i know angry joe gave it a poor review.

Probly because they didn't give him a paid preview deal.

On a more serious note: ogh gosh golly gee, what a HUGE amd CRAZY change! Can't wait maybe try it... For maybe 2 or 3 hours.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here