No Man's Sky Has Gone Gold

Pages 1 2 NEXT

No Man's Sky Has Gone Gold

xbox-one-pc-320

There will be no further delays for No Man's Sky.

No Man's Sky, the ambitious open world explorer from Hello Games, has finally gone gold, meaning that there will be no further delays of its release date, which is currently set at August 9.

"It's happened," Tweeted Hello Games founder Sean Murray. "No Man's Sky just went gold. I'm so incredibly proud of this tiny team. 4 years of emotions." The game had previously been due to arrive last month, but was delayed to polish up some "key moments". Murray later said that he believed delaying the game "was the right decision". Look out for it on PS4 and PC.

Source: Twitter

Good luck to them all, I'm looking forward to the reviews.

What would suck is if say a giant body of water came and somehow the game was lost and then they had to start over.

OT: This is great news im looking forward to the game next month

Let us all see how this will turn out.

In no world this will live out to the hype, though it isn't strictly the fault of the developers.

Cool. I'll make sure I finish paying off my preorder over the coming weeks. This is one of the only games I'm actually excited for. Please don't Mighty Number 9 this, guys.

Level 7 Dragon:

In no world this will live out to the hype, though it isn't strictly the fault of the developers.

yeah the hype on this game was one of the strangest things to watch, people got so whimsoucal about speculating all the things that could be going on in this game, and then felt lied to when things they had come up with themselves arent in the game.

Huh, I've never actually heard the term "going gold" used in reference to video games like that. I associate it with the music industry use of the term, which implies rather something different, apparently.

Anyway, hurrah for them, I guess? I am interested in finally seeing the thing first-hand.

I can't wait to be one of the first to play it and name ALL THE PLANETS after me.

shrekfan246:
Huh, I've never actually heard the term "going gold" used in reference to video games like that. I associate it with the music industry use of the term, which implies rather something different, apparently.

Anyway, hurrah for them, I guess? I am interested in finally seeing the thing first-hand.

Same here. I usually associate Gold with selling good.

Now we just need to see if the game is any good.

Considering that the game was advertised as RNG universe simulator where you travel between billions of planets but it also has space things in it. I'm not confident it'll be a particularly interesting game.

When you're an indie studio who advertises more than what AAA studios usually give out, then it raises flags for suspicion.

How does one even review a game like this? You can't possibly reach the end in any short space of time, you can't even know how much of the content you have observed from the game. Everyone is going to have a different experience of what they find. We need some sort of triangulation to get a better review process. Or...now this may be too ambitious, but...Chiliagonulation? (Try saying that ten times in a row while drunk. Oh and please be a real word!)

shrekfan246:

RaikuFA:

Really? The early i can remember hearing that term was jokes about the release of Daikatana.

RaikuFA:

shrekfan246:

Well considering how long they've been shovelling coal into the hype machine for this and how this will result in a gazillion pre-orders ... I'm sure your understanding of going gold is applicable as well.

Level 7 Dragon:

Eh, I'm not expecting it to cure cancer or change my life; I'm just expecting it to be entertaining on a baseline level.

But yeah, there's a fair few folks clamoring for it to be perceived as the most inventive development in the industry since Spore. The thing is, I remember Spore.

It was fun for a few weeks, then it got samey. There's a game in-between the Cell and Civ stages, but the Space Stage is nothing other than gigantic filler.

Czann:
I can't wait to be one of the first to play it and name ALL THE PLANETS after me.

"Where are we gonna meet?"

"Why not at Planet Czann?"

"Wait, what? I'm in the Czann Cluster B-3-42-7 Where are you?"

"Fuck, I'm on Planet Czann Gold 3 in Czann Cluster C-3-42-7..."

"Jesus Christ, that's like... 800 LY away. Fuck this game. I'm done."

yeah im really curious about that game too.
of what ive seen (not following it closely) it just looks like you fly around and look at different planets/vegetations and mine some stuff.
that by itself sounds nice, but it lacks in gameplay. ive not seen anything else that would make me want to play this game so reviews will be interesting for me

I'd already heard this news but it's still nice to see. Here's hoping the launch goes smoothly. No Man's Sky is one of only three, maybe four, games I'm looking forward to in 2016.

I can't speak on whether the game may or may not live up to the "hype", or to what degree any of the hype is justified, but from what I have seen of the game it should still be a fun romp.

If nothing else, it'll be a nice aesthetic mix-up from playing DOOM.

shrekfan246:

"Gone gold" is a term that's been in use in the video game industry since...ooph, at least the early 90s, I believe, if not the 80s. But, since the contemporary gaming industry has been collectively attempting to 'get closer to the players', many industry terms that were fairly common years ago have given way to more layman terminology.

Xsjadoblayde:
How does one even review a game like this?

The same way reviewers review sandbox games, open-world games, or multiplayer titles. It comes down to their opinions on aesthetics, mechanics, core game-play, stability, and their overall experience while playing.

I mean, do you think someone can't review a game unless they experience 100% of the game's content? Does someone have to play a game from start to finish, in its entirety, to decide whether they liked or disliked their time with the game?

One of my cousins has never played through every piece of story content in Fallout 3, yet it remains one of his absolute favorite games.

Gatlank:
Really? The early i can remember hearing that term was jokes about the release of Daikatana.

Well, I was still a child when Daikatana came out, and didn't really start paying any attention to "current" games until about 2010 because I couldn't afford to actually get any until then.

RaikuFA:

shrekfan246:

Well, it goes back a long way. Though usually it meant that the game had been burned into a master disc that was gold colored and then copied from that source again for distribution.
It has even left its mark on the Half Life 1 engine, commonly known as the GoldSource engine. Just prior to the release of HL1, they renamed the "src" folder to "goldsrc", to indicate the version that was going to "gold", later known as GoldSource. The "src" folder that remained in development at Valve eventually became what we now know as the Source Engine.

OT: I'm kind of excited and meh at the same time. It feels like we stilll haven't seen any proper gameplay of this game, only promises of billions of unique star systems and planets, but that has already been done(elite dangerous) and honestly won't matter if there's nothing to do. Past the first 1000 or so systems, none of the billions or gogool or infinite number of systems will feel like they matter at all since you'll never see them anyway. And what I've seen of planets so far just doesn't seem that diverse. The same kind of biomes we've seen in countless of other games and irl, plus alien wildlife that is remarkably the same across all these billions of star systems.

Will we be able to name any of the planets and/or groups of planets we discover and such?
I'm curious because I'm just waiting for the day that yelling "HELP, I'M BEING HELD HOSTAGE IN THE TURTLE DICK NEBULA" becomes a thing.

Vigormortis:

Xsjadoblayde:
How does one even review a game like this?

The same way reviewers review sandbox games, open-world games, or multiplayer titles. It comes down to their opinions on aesthetics, mechanics, core game-play, stability, and their overall experience while playing.

I mean, do you think someone can't review a game unless they experience 100% of the game's content? Does someone have to play a game from start to finish, in its entirety, to decide whether they liked or disliked their time with the game?

One of my cousins has never played through every piece of story content in Fallout 3, yet it remains one of his absolute favorite games.

But I didn't say 100%. Why to the extreme? I notice that direction often come up in various topics. Fallout games (and their ilk) have specific narrative that can easily be followed because they are guidelines the writers and developers created for the observer. An intended streamlined narrative that allow reviewers a spine to climb while experiencing the branches possible to the casual player. This game, however, is not even comparable...there is no way to measure whether what you have played is anywhere near what anyone else will play. You must be aware of the differences, surely?

There's really only one way to react to this. Get ready to climb into your cockpits, strap down into your seats, and remember:

I hope it's good. I've been looking forward to this one for a while, and what I've seen so far has been promising. Whether it all makes it into the actual game is another question, of course... but at least we aren't getting it from a studio with a history of lying and/or ambitious failure.

But, hey, at least they haven't blown millions of dollars in Kickstarter money to get there, right?

Xsjadoblayde:

But I didn't say 100%. Why to the extreme? I notice that direction often come up in various topics. Fallout games (and their ilk) have specific narrative that can easily be followed because they are guidelines the writers and developers created for the observer. An intended streamlined narrative that allow reviewers a spine to climb while experiencing the branches possible to the casual player. This game, however, is not even comparable...there is no way to measure whether what you have played is anywhere near what anyone else will play. You must be aware of the differences, surely?

This is presumptive, though. You're assuming there's literally no story or intended goal(s).

Likewise, using Fallout as an example is disingenuous, especially since you freely admit the two games are "not even comparable". A better example (if we stick to your presumption) would be, say, Garry's Mod, Counter-Strike, or Rocket League. These are games with no meaningful end-state, yet each is easily 'reviewable'.

Vigormortis:

Xsjadoblayde:

This is presumptive, though. You're assuming there's literally no story or intended goal(s).

Likewise, using Fallout as an example is disingenuous, especially since you freely admit the two games are "not even comparable". A better example (if we stick to your presumption) would be, say, Garry's Mod, Counter-Strike, or Rocket League. These are games with no meaningful end-state, yet each is easily 'reviewable'.

Are you serious or joking here? You're the one that brought up Fallout as a comparison, I was merely working off it. The entire universe is RNG. That is pretty much all we know. How can you know how much of an RNG universe you have seen? How can you know if you may have been dealt a rather poor hand to play? I am assuming a lack of knowledge, considering hardly anyone knows much so far, it isn't even much of an assumption. I'm not trying to say it is impossible to review, just that any review isn't much of a garuntee of what another player might experience.

Xsjadoblayde:
How does one even review a game like this? You can't possibly reach the end in any short space of time

You realize that the game has a few set mechanics and some randomly generated planets, right? You can write a review after a few hours in the sandbox.

Xsjadoblayde:

Are you serious or joking here? You're the one that brought up Fallout as a comparison, I was merely working off it.

By using it in an entirely different context. I mentioned Fallout 3 because I was citing it as an example of someone considering a game to be one of their favorites despite never actually completing it. You tried using it as an example of an open-ended game having structure. These are vastly different contexts.

The entire universe is RNG.

No, it's not. They've designed specific aspects of the universe and its lore. You can find videos of Murray talking about that all over the 'net.

That is pretty much all we know.

It might be all you know, but I've been following HelloGames talks and demonstrations on the game. They've written some amalgam of lore and narrative within the game, and constructed specific species, civilizations, tech, events, etc. Hell, one of the reasons for the delay into August was because they wanted to add some more polish to "key moments", implying there are specific events that take place during a play-through.

How can you know how much of an RNG universe you have seen?

Well, I could be pedantic about it and say you could work it out based on the criteria and seed algorithms the devs utilized to make that RNG universe, but I'll capitulate and just say, "You probably can't know how much you've seen."

How can you know if you may have been dealt a rather poor hand to play?

See above.

I am assuming a lack of knowledge, considering hardly anyone knows much so far, it isn't even much of an assumption.

It..kind of is, by definition. Stating something is, without knowledge one way or the other, is an assumption.

just that any review isn't much of a garuntee of what another player might experience

This is true of literally every game that is non-linear (and even some that are linear) or built around some sort of procedural or randomly generated content. Why is it suddenly an issue with No Man's Sky?

I'm not trying to say it is impossible to review,

Mmmm, you kind of did, though. If I may?

How does one even review a game like this? You can't possibly reach the end in any short space of time, you can't even know how much of the content you have observed from the game

Awful lot of can'ts in that comment.

But that doesn't matter. You asked how someone could review a game like this, I offered a method. You apparently don't accept that method. Therefore, we seem to be at an impasse.

It is a bit over-hyped but I still think it could be good game. I just hope that there are enough varied things to do.

They've said that you can play it offline and in singleplayer, so that's one less thing to worry about.
The only thing that would stop me from buying this game is if you can only pilot your ship in first person mode.
I get that they don't want you to see yourself until you meet another player but that one is easily solved by either tinting/reflecting the windscreens or by removing the player from the ship and "become" the ship.
Unless they lock the camera from behind, which would be fine by me but I would prefer that several options are enabled so that as many players can enjoy it as possible.

shrekfan246:

Gatlank:

Well, I was still a child when Daikatana came out, and didn't really start paying any attention to "current" games until about 2010 because I couldn't afford to actually get any until then.

Jesus Christ! If we wanted your life story we would make a thread for it! :P

OT: Good. I can finally prepare my journey to the Golden Planet. Go Gold myself, that is.

McElroy:

shrekfan246:

Gatlank:

Jesus Christ! If we wanted your life story we would make a thread for it! :P

OT: Good. I can finally prepare my journey to the Golden Planet. Go Gold myself, that is.

I could give the long story, if you'd prefer.

BeerTent:

Czann:

"Where are we gonna meet?"

"Why not at Planet Czann?"

"Wait, what? I'm in the Czann Cluster B-3-42-7 Where are you?"

"Fuck, I'm on Planet Czann Gold 3 in Czann Cluster C-3-42-7..."

"Jesus Christ, that's like... 800 LY away. Fuck this game. I'm done."

This, basically that's the aim.

Saltyk:
Please don't Mighty Number 9 this, guys.

At least NMS doesn't have a very shady crowdfunding history and a megalomaniacal marketing honcho at its head.

Cowabungaa:

Saltyk:
Please don't Mighty Number 9 this, guys.

At least NMS doesn't have a very shady crowdfunding history and a megalomaniacal marketing honcho at its head.

Besides, there's another heavily anticipated Crowdfunded game that's got that part covered, coincidentally also set in space.

Vigormortis:
Holy snip

Ok, I had no idea that I would be expected to have to argue for what was originally intended as a light-hearted comment. To be honest, I shouldn't have even replied in the first case with any attempt at seriousness. Look, I like the sound of the game too and have been trying to follow what I can, but I don't have the time to get all the information available when it comes out. Now my original comment was supposed to a positive opinion towards the potential variety of the game, not something I arbitrarily decided as fact in my mind. This seriousness is really confusing from this website. But I will try harder to make future posts more clear to avoid this sort of thing happening and wasting yet more precious time.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here