Summer Games Done Quick Raises $1.2M For Charity

Summer Games Done Quick Raises $1.2M For Charity

The annual charity speedrunning event raised over a million dollars for Doctors Without Borders.

Games Done Quick is a group of insane lads who try to finish games as fast as humanly possible for our enjoyment and donations. Their summer speedrunning festival has raised a record-breaking $1,297,924.44, which will go to the fine folks over at Doctors Without Borders. This is slightly more than the $1.2M brought in by the event last year.

The event featured 177 speedruns, ranging from popular speedrunning titles like The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (which you can see in the video to the right) to random obscure advergames like "Pepsiman".

You can check out the full archive of speedruns over at the Games Done Quick YouTube chanel.

Games Done Quick's next event will be the Awesome Games Done Quick event running in early winter 2017.

Source: Games Done Quick

I was lucky enough to catch the last few hours. They ran Super Mario RPG Seven Stars and then did a 4 way race for Super Mario 64. Both where awesome. Sad I didn't start watching them earlier (I think all of them are available in video format, but it's not the same). I will certainly follow the next one though, great bunch of guys playing for a great cause. Makes me proud to be a gamer.

Just one comment, yet? Almost 1.3M. That's respectable. Good job.

Good on them. Intending to watch some VODs at some point. In particular, I heard the blindfolded Castlevania: SOTN run was a highlight.

Andy Shandy:
Good on them. Intending to watch some VODs at some point. In particular, I heard the blindfolded Castlevania: SOTN run was a highlight.

That one was crazy.

Also, the Pepsiman run was just magical. Glad I could catch that one live.

That's a really decent amount. Congrats.

D2 run was my favorite!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here