Sponsored PokeStops Will Be Coming to Pokemon Go

Sponsored PokeStops Will Be Coming to Pokemon Go

pokemon go

Niantic will announce sponsored Pokemon Go locations "in the future."

While Pokemon Go is technically a free-to-play game, the included microtransactions have proven to be quite lucrative for the game, with reports indicating that Nintendo shares surged 25% since the game's launch, adding around $7.5 billion to the company's market value. One equity analyst said that the estimated turnover for the game on day one was around 400 million to 500 million yen ($3.9 million to $4.9 million). However, Niantic is now exploring new ways that the game can bring in money, hopefully sparing everyone unwanted ads - and the first is, unsurprisingly, sponsored PokeStops.

Speaking with The New York Times, Niantic CEO John Hanke said that the developer will announce sponsored locations for the game in the future.

This is unsurprising, considering a number of different establishments are already using the game to draw in customers. For example, Brewer's Pizza in Orange Park, Florida is a PokeStop, and a Facbook post was made inviting players out for nonstop lures on Monday (lures are devices added to PokeStops which attrack Pokemon to the location, but unlike incense, other players are able to benefit from it). Atlanta coffee shop Huge, which sits between two PokeStops, is also using lures, but took it a step further - they added 25 phone charging stations after learning that the game drains battery quickly, and offered a free appetizer to anyone who shows that they caught a Pokemon in the shop. My favorite, however, is the Muncie Animal Shelter in Muncie, IN, which is encouraging players to stop in the shelter and take one of its "Pokemon dogs" for a walk while Pokemon-ing.

In other Pokemon Go news, Niantic recently confirmed that trading will be making its way to the game in the coming months, since it is "kind of a core element" of Pokemon.

They don't need to consider it. They have the API already in place to do it, as their previous game already does this.

I hope that if anyone sponsors a political rally, the only pokemon that show up would be Grimers.

All that data from their demanded permissions they're collecting is no doubt a lucrative asset for marketing partnerships. I honestly wouldn't mind trying the app if it wasn't for that specific issue.

I very much like this idea. Build traffic for a business, gets more pokestops for players and the shops may offer promotions/incentives for players. Win/win/win for N, the user and the business.

We all knew this was gonna happen; I just hope Nintendo chuck charities, such as that animal shelter, a bone (HA, PUN!) and give them Pok'e'Stops for free.

Xsjadoblayde:
All that data from their demanded permissions they're collecting is no doubt a lucrative asset for marketing partnerships. I honestly wouldn't mind trying the app if it wasn't for that specific issue.

According to the patch notes the issue was fixed in yesterday's patch... And there's always the option of registering through a Pokemon club account instead. It's a bit hard to register right now though.

Pokestops and constant lures may pull in people, but do they actually buy stuff?

Although if I were the owner of an ice cream shop in Florida right now, I'd be all over this.
It's 91 outside right now with 61% humidity.

>Animal Shelter uses Cubone on it's ad.
>Cubone wears the skull of its dead mother as a helmet.
>Cubone will often weep at night in mourning of its mother.
>Cubone seems to recognize its mother in the moon, and so it howls with a particular sadness.
>Fuckin' aye!

If Niantec play their cards right this will be a gold mine for them, this has already become a cultural phenomenon in 1 week!

Assuming this game doesn't burn out in a few weeks, this could be the future of advertising right here.

If anything all the publicity is making it spread even faster, to rediculous levels.

I know someone who just upgraded to a iphone (from a cell phone that didn't have internet access) just because of this game.

I have 7 teacher friends, all women over 40, who are all over this game right now, along with my best friends daughter in law, and a bunch of people from our areobics class.

Seriously even if people have not tried it yet, they have heard about it...and know people who are playing it. I don't even think it's possible to NOT know at least a few people playing this game unless your a hermit with no friends living in a cave, with no internet....and even then you might get some random people stopping by trying to catch pokemon!!

I live on the water in Olympia and at first I thought it was awesome how many people where walking along trying to catch them, but at this point it's a bit dangerous. It's not a huge road/sidewalk and too many people are walking along the water staring at their phones. Someone is going to get hurt. Down town there are literally 2-3 people every block playing this game, and when I went out the other night after midnight people where STILL playing the game, and groups of them where congregating at a few intersections. This is in Washington, so I'm not sure if it's like this everywhere (Pot is legal here..that may have something to do with it), but it's really getting kinda insane.

Eclipse Dragon:
Pokestops and constant lures may pull in people, but do they actually buy stuff?

That's irrelevant. The traffic through your location is enough to improve business.

For example, let's say 100 people come by a coffee shop purely for Pokemon Go, and only one of those people actually stays to have a coffee. That's one extra client that wouldn't have come by.

Now let's say that 50 of the people tell their friends about this place which is using lures, then they'd also come by, and a couple of those will also buy coffees.

Of course, my numbers are entirely made up, and not reflective of actual ratios, but you get the idea.

OT: A nightclub near my house is abusing their spot for business. They're advertising a Pokemon Go night on Friday.

The next step is for corporate partnerships to grow even more intertwined: start giving pokemon or rewards that can only be obtained if you buy products from a particular corporation. Or a pokemon go rewards program that gave you a small amount of in-game currency to those that spend a certain amount at participating venues.

Shamanic Rhythm:
Assuming this game doesn't burn out in a few weeks, this could be the future of advertising right here.

Augmented Reality will indeed be a prominent feature of advertising in the future but I must point out it was predicted or inspired by sci-fi writers decades ago. Soon we will be able to see ads and get "exclusive coupons" just by scanning the walls of buildings with our phones.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.