The Mini-NES Can't Go Online, Will Never Get New Games

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Mini-NES Can't Go Online, Will Never Get New Games

nes-classic-320

The 30 games that come pre-loaded on Nintendo's "Mini-NES" will be the only games you'll ever be able to play on the system.

Nintendo hit us right in the nostalgia yesterday by announcing the "Mini-NES" stand-alone gaming platform. For just $59.99, you get the console, one controller and thirty games to play. The games were chosen "to provide a wide variety of top-quality, long-lasting game-play experiences," but for fans wondering if they'll ever be able to purchase additional games for the system when they get bored, I'm afraid you won't. Nintendo has confirmed that the Mini-NES won't be able to connect to the internet or any sort of external storage, and as such there will be no way to purchase additional games.

"The console is a standalone device, so it cannot connect to the internet or any external storage devices," Nintendo confirmed to Kotaku. "The game lineup was chosen to provide a diverse mix of popular and recognizable NES games that appeal to a wide variety of players. Everyone should be able to find multiple games to enjoy."

It also confirmed that you won't be able to load old NES cartridges into the system, and the "cartridge slot" is non-functional and purely cosmetic. When asked if the company was planning "mini" versions of its other consoles, such as the SNES and N64, it neglected to comment.

Despite this, I'm sure it won't be long before modders crack open this system and figure out a way to load up more games on it...

Source: Kotaku

Translation: Crack this baby open and make this into the best Old School Nintendo/Sega/Mame console of all time.

It's going to fly off the shelves regardless. The lineup they mentioned is beautiful.
The second the hackers fix the "can't add new games" issue, it's going to be even more scarce.

Impending streams of NES titles being actually being paid attention.

The games are all valued at around $5.00~ ish each, with a couple being a bit lower. Paying $2.3 per game is a good deal, considering you get a mini NES. Would be nice if it came with an SD card slot, and the Wii U/3DS were given software to load VC games onto the SD card, but it's fine without.

AzrealMaximillion:
Translation: Crack this baby open and make this into the best Old School Nintendo/Sega/Mame console of all time.

It's not too difficult to do that with existing older consoles. If you look online, you'll see plenty of videos or whatnot of people gutting their NES's and putting Raspberry pis inside which are loaded with emulators and an assortment of games.

Or, you know, there are ways to play NES games on your computer. And connecting your computer to a monitor. And dongles that let you use an NES or SNES controller on your computer.

The idea is neat, and I've thought about buying a Sega Genesis re-release that does the same thing. Then I remember I already own a Sega Genesis, and an NES, and an SNES, N64, GameCube, PS1 & 2, Xbox360, and it's an ass-ache to connect any of them up (except the 360) without dragging up the 70 pound SDTV from the basement. So I use my computer.

So...where do you get a second controller? What about other classic games such as Duck Hunt which could easily make use of the wii-mote compatibility?

So it's an even worse version of the Neo Geo X Gold as I thought. GG Nintendo.

sylvju48:
So...where do you get a second controller? What about other classic games such as Duck Hunt which could easily make use of the wii-mote compatibility?

Stand alone and shit out of luck, in that order.

Also congrats on your first post.

Long story short, it's a Nintendo version of these.

-Dragmire-:
Long story short, it's a Nintendo version of these.

Except the games are all good (and Castlevania II).

Where did the idea that the mini-NES will be able to play more than the stock 30 games come from?

This is not a money-maker Nintendo. It's not gonna work the way you think it will.

I sure hope they will do something similar with the SNES. Especially with its controller.

I'd rather just have the NES currently available to me.

*coughs*

When the hackers start adding more games to the mix Nintendo are gonna look awful silly for not doing it themselves

No additional games will be avaiable...

I'll stick with my emulators then.

AzrealMaximillion:

seconded

Vern:
Or, you know, there are ways to play NES games on your computer. And connecting your computer to a monitor. And dongles that let you use an NES or SNES controller on your computer.

Hell, if you have a decent smartphone, a good bluetooth controller is like 30 bucks on Amazon and you can play them on the go. I have two Ipega controllers and they work like a charm when playing old games. I'm told MOGA is the gold standard though, probably get one eventually. As an added bonus, most of them will work with your computer's bluetooth and some even work with 360s/Xbox Ones/PS3s/PS4s. They have even made bluetooth controllers in the style of NES and SNES controllers.

As for this thing, it will still go over like gangbusters, despite the slightly ridiculous high price because gamers are nothing if not a nostalgic bunch. I have to wonder who the target consumer is. Most hardcore gamers still have their original systems (I know I have all these games and a functioning NES in my parent's basement somewhere) and those that don't know ways to play old games. I'd consider buying this just for the novelty factor but the price would have to come way down first.

It's like when they re-release all these old classics via digitally. Are people legit paying actual money to play Super Mario Bros. in HD? Do we not remember Mario All Stars? How many times have NES games been re-released already? Nintendo just keeps skating along on this nostalgia seems like.

ANY kind of online compatibility and/or possibility of expanding its game library would almost certainly turn this thing from half-assed nostalgia bait to a bigger money maker than the WII.

Yeah, that's a pretty strong lineup of games it comes with, but how much fun is it to buy a console and knowing for a fact that what you have right now is all you're ever gonna get from it?

FalloutJack:
This is not a money-maker Nintendo. It's not gonna work the way you think it will.

I have friends that already want it. When I see they are demanding $5 for 30 year old games I could play on my Wii U, I scoff. When I see I could get this particular 30, including Final Fantasy, for $60? I may open my wallet.

Naldan:
I sure hope they will do something similar with the SNES. Especially with its controller.

Seems likely. The SNES was far superior to the NES but should not be that difficult to put into a box like this. It will happen. Later, maybe N64. Gamecube seems unlikely. That was a particularly odd beast. Even Ben Heck hasn't tried to make a portable version.

sylvju48:

You buy a second controller.

And games like Duckhunt don't use the Wii remote because they'd have to see modifications in order to work with the controller. The light gun is a very different input to the Wii remote/sensor bar.

Gutsripper:

Vern:

I stated a similar thing. Though, emulators are considered piracy. This is an outlet to buy the games legitimately.

Kibeth41:

Gutsripper:

Vern:

I stated a similar thing. Though, emulators are considered piracy. This is an outlet to buy the games legitimately.

I know, and I'd love to buy it (I still might) but out of the 30 games it comes with I only like about 5 or 6 of them.
And with no future additions... well it just kinda sucks because that could have made this an awesome thing.

It seems that this must be emulation-based, considering it has savestate support. In light of that, consider that Nintendo only supported SNES emulation on the New 3DS (with its faster, more powerful CPU) and not only the original revision of the 3DS (which still supported NES games). Perhaps that means that the internal components of a mini-SNES would be too costly to make such a project worthwhile. I guess we'll see.

Kibeth41:
And games like Duckhunt don't use the Wii remote because they'd have to see modifications in order to work with the controller. The light gun is a very different input to the Wii remote/sensor bar.

Very true - except Duck Hunt is already available on the Virtual Console, so the hard work of reprogramming has already been done. Nonetheless, trying to work in sensor bar support for a unit such as this is probably far, far more trouble than it would be worth.
https://www.destructoid.com/duck-hunt-on-the-wii-u-virtual-console-is-too-easy-285390.phtml

Gorfias:
Snip

That's as maybe, but uhh...

<_<

>_>

You know people with computers won't even bother, especially if it doesn't have compatibility with peripherals.

InsanityRequiem:
Where did the idea that the mini-NES will be able to play more than the stock 30 games come from?

The game sizes are incredibly small. Just increase the storage space a bit more if required. I honestly highly doubt these games even take up a gig.

It can't go online and will never get a new game?

So basically it is exactly like a regular NES and all of those this are expected and not actually downsides.

RoBi3.0:

So basically it is exactly like a regular NES and all of those this are expected and not actually downsides.

You do know that there were 713 games put out for the NES, not including the hundred or so that were unlicensed, right? I'd say 30 is a bit on the lean side.

Plus, there are people who can take old carts and reprogram them with new homebrews, fan translations of Japanese games and games made up of unreleased material and the games function like a regular NES cart. It's a bit complicated but it can be done with a bit of technical knowhow.

How is this anything like an original NES? It has way less functionality (aside from saves, which some games on the list had already) and is priced at basically what an NES was back in the 80s. You can buy replica systems that play actual NES, SNES and Sega carts for almost the same price.

The 30 games on it are quite good. But why put on Simon's Quest and not Castlevania 3 instead? #Castlevania2DoesNotExist

Naldan:

If they do that I'll get it in a heartbeat. 30 Games for that kind of money is a steal and so far I had to make do with PSP emulation. Which is nice and remarkably easy, but I'd rather have such a swanky console and an actual SNES controller.

Chewster:

RoBi3.0:

You do know that there were 713 games put out for the NES, not including the hundred or so that were unlicensed, right? I'd say 30 is a bit on the lean side.

Plus, there are people who can take old carts and reprogram them with new homebrews, fan translations of Japanese games and games made up of unreleased material and the games function like a regular NES cart. It's a bit complicated but it can be done with a bit of technical knowhow.

How is this anything like an original NES? It has way less functionality (aside from saves, which some games on the list had already) and is priced at basically what an NES was back in the 80s. You can buy replica systems that play actual NES, SNES and Sega carts for almost the same price.

Yes I know there are way more games than what comes on the mini-nes, but NONE of them are less than 2 decades+ old and the original system didn't go online. So what I said was 100% actuate. In other words I was making an IRONIC joke.

also lol that you would think that Nintendo would support fan projects. I mean give me a fraking break bro. Nintendo cant even tolerate people steaming their games. And I think only a complete idiot would expect this to be in anyway comparable to the original NES. Its an inexpensive game bundle wrapped in a cute gimmick. It is not supposed to fill the void left by a crappy childhood.

Micah Weil:
It's going to fly off the shelves regardless. The lineup they mentioned is beautiful.
The second the hackers fix the "can't add new games" issue, it's going to be even more scarce.

Better to wait for someone to crack one open before buying it. Besides by the time it's moddable the price could have dropped.

The Enquirer:

InsanityRequiem:

The game sizes are incredibly small. Just increase the storage space a bit more if required. I honestly highly doubt these games even take up a gig.

I'm pretty sure the entire NES library doesn't even take up a gigabyte of space total. There were over a thousand games released all over the world, not counting hacks, they could have included the entire library... Storage space isn't the issue though, a huge chunk of the NES's library was third party, so licensing fees are the limiting factor. Capcom, Konami, Activision, Square Enix, and so on will all want their chunk of flesh for every game included. That could make a trinket like the Mini-NES too expensive for anyone, except hard core fans, to justify it's existence. This little 30 game plug and play system is the kind of thing grandparents will buy for kids who will never touch the thing, not to mention the nostalgic Nintendo fans who will shell out for it. So it's the cost of the licenses, not the storage space, which is the limiting factor.

For everyone, this isn't a real console, it's just a plug-n-play affair like Radica and every other hack electronics company was doing in the late 90's and early 2000's.

Fhqwhgod:
The 30 games on it are quite good. But why put on Simon's Quest and not Castlevania 3 instead? #Castlevania2DoesNotExist

You are aware that everything most hardcore gamers say they hate about Simon's Quest is exactly what those same people love about the Metroid, post Symphony of the Night, Castlevania, and Dark Souls franchise... Right? Simon's Quest's only flaws are a spotty obtuse translation and a few obtuse actions you need to take to finish the game. Aside from that the game is really good, especially as a sequel to the first Castlevania. It's like why people say they hate Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, it's different from the first game. Although a lot of people who make that complaint didn't get either game when they first came out, back before the franchises really established their lasting patterns. Still Simon's Quest is the same concept that we got with Metroid and that lead to all the most beloved Castlevania entries like Symphony of the Night, Aria of Sorrow, and Dawn of Sorrow.

Oh, uhh, BTW: While we know this is all a quick cash grab on Nintendo's part, retro gaming enthusiasts might try the Retron 5 instead.

FalloutJack:
Oh, uhh, BTW: While we know this is all a quick cash grab on Nintendo's part, retro gaming enthusiasts might try the Retron 5 instead.

You mean the emulator console with some serious shoddy hardware support? I mean even even PC software emulators work better than the freaking Retron consoles... If you have to emulate, go virtual console, official source, or get a cartridge reader and use PC emulators(which is not piracy, because if you use your own cartridges on a USB drive for actual original cartridges, or original CDs/DVDs, you're not stealing software.), because the Retrons are so god awful bad.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime:
Snip

Third party machine. These things happen. Your options, of course, were always on the table.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.