Six New Pokemon Sun and Moon Creatures Detailed

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Six New Pokemon Sun and Moon Creatures Detailed

A lei, a coward, and a cosplayer walk into a bar...

Six new Pokemon from Pokemon Sun and Moon were shown off in a YouTube video posted today, and they include a coward, a lei, and an adorable cosplayer. You can check out details on them, per an accompanying press release, below:

Wimpod (Bug/Water type) is the Turn Tail Pokemon. This Pokemon is a cowardly scavenger that eats or stores anything that's been dropped in the sea meaning it is highly valued across the Alola region as a cleaner of the sea. Wimpod has the new Ability Wimp Out which causes this Pokemon to run away or swap out for another Pokemon when its HP drops below half in battle.

Bounsweet (Grass type) is the Fruit Pokemon which gives off a delicious aroma. This aroma has a calming effect on humans, so many people across Alola let them live inside their homes as an air freshener.

The Posey Picker Pokemon Comfey (Fairy type) picks flowers which it carries around with it. Comfey uses its soothing aroma to help treat people and Pokemon at Pokemon Centers and hospitals.

Mudslade (Ground type) is the Draft Horse Pokemon with incredible power and stamina. Its legs are coated in a protective mud and its kick can destroy a car in a single blow. Mudslade has the Ability Stamina, a new Ability which raises a Pokemon's Defense by one when hit by an attack.

Bewear (Normal/Fighting type) is the Strong Arm Pokemon that must never be approached carelessly. With its strong and highly developed arms and legs, Bewear loves to give crushing bear hugs that will split anything in two.

As the Disguised Pokemon, Mimikyu (Ghost/Fairy Type) lives its life constantly covered by its cloth. Mimikyu's Disguise Ability allows it to escape danger from an enemy's attack once, then its appearance changes.

Also announced is the Hyper Training function, which allows Pokemon that have hit Lv. 100 to increase individual strengths. From the press release: "Hyper Training is done by Mr. Hyper, a new character who can be found somewhere in the Alola region. By using Bottle Caps, a new item obtainable in Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon, players will be able to carry out Hyper Training on their Pokemon. The Mythical Pokemon Magearna, planned for distribution in Europe later, will be distributed with a Bottle Cap held item."

I'm not very enthused about really any of the new Pokemon designs so far. I wish I could see what the starters evolve into already.

I like the idea of another horse Pokemon, but I wish they'd gone with a kelpie or a hippocampus to act as a true counter to Ponyta, rather than this muddy clydesdale.

As for Mimikyu, talk about easiest cosplay ever. Though I wish they hadn't picked Pikachu because of the existence of pikaclones and now it feels like there's two this generation. There are other very beloved Pokemon. Mew, ditto or zorua would have been cute, because you'd end up with a Pokemon mimicking one known for mimicking.

Eclipse Dragon:
I'm not very enthused about really any of the new Pokemon designs so far. I wish I could see what the starters evolve into already.

Same here. I usually pick the water starters, but I might skip it this time just because it looks like a trained seal that escaped from a circus. I'd like to see if it gets better as it evolves...

goddamnit they actually added a lei pokemon.

I like the bear though. he looks cute enough.

Also, bottlecaps as currency eh? Is this foreshadowing to the greatest videogame crossover?

I'm perfectly fine with Trubbish, Klefki, and most of Gen 4's Pok?mon being the worst. You really don't need to try to upstage them in terribleness.

Alright so we have a wimpy fish, a berry Pokemon I'm fairly sure there is already one of and it looks very similar but I've been out of the loop, a fashion accessory, a horse with a color scheme we've seen so often that I want to punch whoever thought they need to keep using it, Monomi that sat in a bucket of black paint, and... one I actually really like the design of. The shadow helps make it look wrong.

So how long until Gamefreak actually does run out of ideas and we get a paper plate or frisbee?

LegendaryGamer0:
Alright so we have a wimpy fish, a berry Pokemon I'm fairly sure there is already one of and it looks very similar but I've been out of the loop, a fashion accessory, a horse with a color scheme we've seen so often that I want to punch whoever thought they need to keep using it, Monomi that sat in a bucket of black paint, and... one I actually really like the design of. The shadow helps make it look wrong.

So how long until Gamefreak actually does run out of ideas and we get a paper plate or frisbee?

It doesn't look like Cherrim, but it does look like Hoppip.

Of course, what it's actually supposed to be is a lychee fruit, which was brought from China and grows in large quantities in Hawaii.

Eh, I like the berry and the little bottomfeeder thing. The mimic looks cool too, it just doesn't look like a pokemon really. It doesn't seem to fit stylistically with the rest. Maybe it'll get an evolution that offsets this.

But the bear and the lei look lazy as hell. The bear's design is just so utterly plain. There's nothing particularly interesting about it. The lei I feel isn't a bad idea, but that execution isn't great. It just feels too... on-the-nose, maybe? Contrived? I don't know.

The horse design isn't awful, but it could use some tweaking. Those dread lock things, for instance, look a little awkward. It also looks like it's up for a bit of jazz-ercise.

Oh for crying out loud, ragdoll Pikachu is a new low.

Shadowsetzer:

Eclipse Dragon:

Same here. I usually pick the water starters, but I might skip it this time just because it looks like a trained seal that escaped from a circus. I'd like to see if it gets better as it evolves...

Well all of the 3 starters are based on circus performers, so at least it looks exactly what it's supposed to look like.

Johnny Novgorod:
Oh for crying out loud, ragdoll Pikachu is a new low.

In what way? There's been a Pikachu clone in every generation. Not to mention, we've seen Icecream, Chandelier, Ball, angrier ball, Eggs, ground dicks, A bunch of gears, keychain with a scrotum, and my personal favorite...

I understand not liking Pokemon designs. But I'd hardly say that decoy Pikachu is a "new low". Pokemon designs have been hitting lows ever since Gen 1.

Besides, Mimikyu is a similar situation to the Wobbuffett theory, in that the actual Pokemon is hidden beneath the decoy, and is never seen. With Wobbuffett, the theory is that the tail is the Pokemon, and the blue body is the decoy.

OT: My favorite Pokemon of this generation has to be Bewear. Partly because of its name, and partly because of the initial description given for it.

People in Alola are scared of Bewear to the point of having warning signs about it. It is really strong and can break anything in two. It likes to hug its trainers but is strong. Raising one puts your life in danger.

LegendaryGamer0:

2 gens tops. Considering thatt here's a pokemon already that's just a set of keys.

Honestly, this will probably the first gen where I hardly will find pokemon designs to like. Which is something since I'm personally not too fond of gen 1.

I actually like all these new designs to varying degrees, there are many varieties. Some are cute, some look cool, and some are ugly, but they're supposed to look that way. Mudsdale is definitely in my top 5 of favorite new Pokemon designs so far, always wanted a Clydesdale in Pokemon. Bewear (haha, love that name) reminds me of that one polar bear character from "We Bare Bears" with that blank expression on its face (as it hugs a tree trunk in two :P). The Pokedex entries for a lot of these Pokemon are also, just amazing. I especially like all the new abilities that have been shown.

As long as we don't get another Pokemon with the same level of creativity as Electrode, I'm fine.

Poetic Nova:

LegendaryGamer0:

2 gens tops. Considering thatt here's a pokemon already that's just a set of keys.

Honestly, this will probably the first gen where I hardly will find pokemon designs to like. Which is something since I'm personally not too fond of gen 1.

Implying that Gen 1 didn't feature a Pokemon that's just a bunch of eggs. Pokemon designs have never really been at the pinnacle of creativity.

Pokemon nowadays are based on the regions that they're from, similar to real life. Look at the various types of birds for example, and how they're all specific to each region (Taillow to Hoenn, Pidgey to Johto/Kanto, Pidove to Unova etc). It stops them from running out of material.

I mean, we always know that each new generation will feature at least:
-A Pikachu clone
-A bug family
-A bird family
-A rodent family
-Common fish

^ That's about 12 or so Pokemon right there, and it seems that we're only seeing about 80 or so new Pokemon in each generation.

It's subjective that you dislike the new Pokemon designs, but I think they've got a good number of years left before they run out of ideas.

Kibeth41:

Poetic Nova:

LegendaryGamer0:

Implying that Gen 1 didn't feature a Pokemon that's just a bunch of eggs. Pokemon designs have never really been at the pinnacle of creativity.

Every gen has its rotten apples, so to speak. So i'm not holding that against the new Pokemon. However, I do think the designs are lacking something, although I cannot put my finger on it.

Kibeth41:

Pokemon nowadays are based on the regions that they're from, similar to real life. Look at the various types of birds for example, and how they're all specific to each region (Taillow to Hoenn, Pidgey to Johto/Kanto, Pidove to Unova etc). It stops them from running out of material.

I mean, we always know that each new generation will feature at least:
-A Pikachu clone
-A bug family
-A bird family
-A rodent family
-Common fish

^ That's about 12 or so Pokemon right there, and it seems that we're only seeing about 80 or so new Pokemon in each generation.

It's subjective that you dislike the new Pokemon designs, but I think they've got a good number of years left before they run out of ideas.

Would be nice if they would cut down on pokemon designs based on common household objects however. (to be fair, this is a point I cant criticise this gen for, atleats not right now)
But as I said, every gen has its designs that make me go 'wtf', Trubbish being a prime example.

Correction: people are telling me it's a mangosteen.

In retrospect, mangosteens are kinda cute.

Poetic Nova:

Every gen has its rotten apples, so to speak. So i'm not holding that against the new Pokemon. However, I do think the designs are lacking something, although I cannot put my finger on it.

They did state that for Gen 7, they were aiming for more 'simplified' Pokemon, as apparently the designs for gen 6 were a bit too complex. Not exactly sure what the specifics of that statement were, but that might be where the "lacking" feeling might be resonating from.

Would be nice if they would cut down on pokemon designs based on common household objects however. (to be fair, this is a point I cant criticise this gen for, atleats not right now)
But as I said, every gen has its designs that make me go 'wtf', Trubbish being a prime example.

I completely agree. I thought Klefki was especially ridiculous. Especially when

Sends out his fucking Klefki keychain as his first Pokemon. Seriously now, this is an Elite Four member. Who is having you battle against his god. damn. car keys.

Though, I can defend/rationalize Trubbish. Gen 5 was an odd generation, and they were trying to base the Unova region on New York, rather than Japan. That's why they tried to redesign literally every original Pokemon. Trubbish was this region's 'Grimer', Woobat and Swoobat were this region's Zubat and Golbat, Timburr was Machop, etc. Gen 5 was a "love it or hate it" generation.

Shadowsetzer:

Eclipse Dragon:

I thought Oshawatt looked derp as fuck but it ended up being a badass samurai walrus thing. There is hope yet!

Wings012:

Shadowsetzer:

Eclipse Dragon:

I thought Oshawatt looked derp as fuck but it ended up being a badass samurai walrus thing. There is hope yet!

The main reason I didn't like Samourott (sp?) is because, it was such a drastic change. Oshawott and Dewott go from otters that stand on 2 legs, to a sea lion on 4 legs. I mean, it's based off a SAMURAI. It being on 2 legs in its final evo would have made that theme come across a lot better.

I'm gonna go against the grain and say I love all of these. I think they are pretty unique while looking like something else in real life.

A horseshoe crab (whimpod), a lychee berry which are grown in Hawaii and are a favorite in Japan (Boundsweet), a lei which is probably too on the nose but whatever (Comfey), a Clidesdale horse and honestly the only other Pokemon aside from one other and its evolve form (Mudsale), a red panda which a penny name (Beware) and a ghost hiding in a cloth which isn't unique anymore but I'll give it credit for trying to look like another Pokemon (Mimikyu).
I love all of the designs so far to be very honest even Bruxish the triggerfish.

weirdee:
Correction: people are telling me it's a mangosteen.

In retrospect, mangosteens are kinda cute.

Oh boo. I love Lychees. I'm actually kinda disappointed now to not see my favorite fruit as a Pokemon.

Mimikyu is my friend and I want a hundred of him.

(also that's actually a pretty sweet ability he has there, basically a free one-turn protect? That'll do wonders for switch-ins or being out-sped by a glass cannon, though whether it gets broken by secondary damage will be the important thing.)

*Sees Mimikyu*
They are using fan art for the new game, aren't they? And people thought the past 2 generations had the worst Pokémon designs...

#1 Hey! A black and white Pikachu with doodles for a face!
#2 Hey! A Teddiursa who fell in some pink paint wearing black pajamas!
#3 Hey! A pink Hoppip!
#4 Hey! A wimpier version of Anorinth!
#5 Hey! Another random object they turned into a Pokemon!
#6 Hey! A rasta Rapidash! Or should I say... Rastapidash!

All cynicism aside, this might actually be the generation that gets me to buy a new pokemon game for the first time in 13 years. I haven't played a full pokemon game since Black, and even then I just breezed through the story.

CaitSeith:
*Sees Mimikyu*
They are using fan art for the new game, aren't they? And people thought the past 2 generations had the worst Pokémon designs...

If you read the description of Mimikyu on the official site, you'll understand why it looks the way it looks.

Kibeth41:

Though, I can defend/rationalize Trubbish. Gen 5 was an odd generation, and they were trying to base the Unova region on New York, rather than Japan. That's why they tried to redesign literally every original Pokemon. Trubbish was this region's 'Grimer', Woobat and Swoobat were this region's Zubat and Golbat, Timburr was Machop, etc. Gen 5 was a "love it or hate it" generation.

Well, you are right that a good chunk of the gen 5 Pokemon were made to be successors to gen 1 Pokemon, but I would say 75 percent of the region's Pokedex features ones created to be totally brand new. But yeah, it's the love it or hate it generation sadly. I'm in the love it camp, it being my favorite set. I've put a lot of thought into it as to why, but I don't have any real ideas about why its so divisive.

OT: While this group of new Pokemon aren't the best, I really have enjoyed most of the new Pokemon shown off for this generation so far. Now I just hope they stop showing off Pokemon at this same rate. Say if there are 100 new Pokemon, we have already seen about 25 or so. I want to keep myself surprised, and going media blackout is nearly impossible when it comes to new Pokemon. When shown off, new ones are literally everywhere on the internet.

Something to keep in mind when it comes to Pokemon and their designs, the more you look into them, the better they get. Mimikyu is a good example of that, reading the story behind it is rather interesting, even if I wish it had made a different disguise. But I love that using Pikachu is a way of Pokemon making fun of themselves putting Pikachu on so much merchandise.

A horse
A bear dipped in paint
Another thing that looks like Pikachu
A fashion accessory
Another hard bug
Another vegetable

They really have run out of ideas.

Hero of Lime:

Kibeth41:

Well, you are right that a good chunk of the gen 5 Pokemon were made to be successors to gen 1 Pokemon, but I would say 75 percent of the region's Pokedex features ones created to be totally brand new. But yeah, it's the love it or hate it generation sadly. I'm in the love it camp, it being my favorite set. I've put a lot of thought into it as to why, but I don't have any real ideas about why its so divisive.

OT: While this group of new Pokemon aren't the best, I really have enjoyed most of the new Pokemon shown off for this generation so far. Now I just hope they stop showing off Pokemon at this same rate. Say if there are 100 new Pokemon, we have already seen about 25 or so. I want to keep myself surprised, and going media blackout is nearly impossible when it comes to new Pokemon. When shown off, new ones are literally everywhere on the internet.

Something to keep in mind when it comes to Pokemon and their designs, the more you look into them, the better they get. Mimikyu is a good example of that, reading the story behind it is rather interesting, even if I wish it had made a different disguise. But I love that using Pikachu is a way of Pokemon making fun of themselves putting Pikachu on so much merchandise.

I too am in the love it camp for Gen 5. I used to dislike it, but it grew on me.

My friend was the one who pointed this out to me, but I really like how it's the one region who has Pokemon who has its native Pokemon. When you think about it, it doesn't make too much sense to have the same breed of bat across the entire Pokemon planet. It makes way more sense that the bats would be different based on the country that they come from. Same with things like bears, horses, etc.

You'd think that when a certain Pokemon is catchable in every game, then it'd have differences in how it looks depending on the region it's caught in. Similar to how Arbok has a different face on its belly depending on the game generation, or how Vivilion has different wing patterns depending on the country you live in.

RedDeadFred:
A horse
A bear dipped in paint
A fashion accessory
Another hard bug
Another vegetable

a bunch of eggs
tree
Slightly racist ho
a ball
upside down ball
a dragon worm
Jackie Chan
generic pink blob

I get really confused when people pretend newer gens are doing something different to Gen 1.

RedDeadFred:
A horse
A bear dipped in paint
A fashion accessory
Another hard bug
Another vegetable

A pile of sludge
A magnet
A duck with a leek
A seal
A ball of gas
A rock
A clam
A cat
A rat
A horse
A fox
A dog
A turtle

...See, pretty much any Pokemon can sound mundane when you deliberately try to make it sound mundane, and completely ignore the theme or lore behind the Pokemon. Also, there is a good reason for the "thing that looks like Pikachu" to look like Pikachu (although I doubt you bothered to check), and Bounsweet is not a vegetable. It's based on the Mangosteen, which is a fruit. Nice try though.

Verrik:

RedDeadFred:
A horse
A bear dipped in paint
A fashion accessory
Another hard bug
Another vegetable

A pile of sludge
A magnet
A duck with a leek
A seal
A ball of gas
A rock
A clam
A cat
A rat
A horse
A fox
A dog
A turtle

...See, pretty much any Pokemon can sound mundane when you deliberately try to make it sound mundane, and completely ignore the theme or lore behind the Pokemon. Also, there is a good reason for the "thing that looks like Pikachu" to look like Pikachu (although I doubt you bothered to check), and Bounsweet is not a vegetable. It's based on the Mangosteen, which is a fruit. Nice try though.

You're right, I suppose I don't really care. It's just that they've also done these before.... They've done bears, they've done horses, they've done hardshell bug things, and they've done so many Pikachus (ya ya lore, whatever, you can make lore about anything, that doesn't mean it's not lazy design). The only one that's actually original in the universe (at least to my rather limited knowledge on the subject) is the fashion accessory.

Point is, I don't really care for the designs. It's fine if you do though.

RedDeadFred:

Verrik:

RedDeadFred:
A horse
A bear dipped in paint
A fashion accessory
Another hard bug
Another vegetable

A pile of sludge
A magnet
A duck with a leek
A seal
A ball of gas
A rock
A clam
A cat
A rat
A horse
A fox
A dog
A turtle

You're right, I suppose I don't really care. It's just that they've also done these before.... They've done bears, they've done horses, they've done hardshell bug things, and they've done so many Pikachus (ya ya lore, whatever, you can make lore about anything, that doesn't mean it's not lazy design). The only one that's actually original in the universe (at least to my rather limited knowledge on the subject) is the fashion accessory.

So, they can't make more than one horse or bear Pokemon? Haha, I don't get that. There are many different varieties and breeds of horses, bugs, and bears in the real world. Is it really such a surprise that there'd also be many types of animals that the majority of people are familiar with in the Pokemon world? It's not like their designs are so similar that you can't tell the difference between them... unless you're brain dead. Not to mention, a lot of these Pokemon that you say "have been done before" each play very different roles from each other in combat.

Also, just because YOU personally don't like a design, doesn't make it lazy. Mimikyu's back story is interesting, and it's a nice reference to the Pokemon 20th year anniversary.

Bewear is the best thing ever, and I want my kung-fu Pabu now.

Verrik:

RedDeadFred:

Verrik:

A pile of sludge
A magnet
A duck with a leek
A seal
A ball of gas
A rock
A clam
A cat
A rat
A horse
A fox
A dog
A turtle

So, they can't make more than one horse or bear Pokemon? Haha, I don't get that. There are many different varieties and breeds of horses, bugs, and bears in the real world. Is it really such a surprise that there'd also be many types of animals that the majority of people are familiar with in the Pokemon world? It's not like their designs are so similar that you can't tell the difference between them... unless you're brain dead. Not to mention, a lot of these Pokemon that you say "have been done before" each play very different roles from each other in combat.

Also, just because YOU personally don't like a design, doesn't make it lazy. Mimikyu's back story is interesting, and it's a nice reference to the Pokemon 20th year anniversary.

Again, you can like them and their backstories if you want. I really don't mind. To me, Mimikyu is just another Pikachu lookalike because they have to do those every so often since it's the mascot of the series. And of course there are multiple types of animals in the real world, but that doesn't mean it isn't kind of boring in a video game that for me, is all about creatures with unique and interesting designs. It's probably why I haven't really cared about the series since Emerald. I just got bored of the designs. These are no different.

Anyway, from your aggressive tone, I can only assume I somehow offended you. That was not my intention, so I apologize if I somehow did. You are free to like their designs if you like, I will not judge you for it. I'm honestly surprised you even bothered to respond to my opinion since it's clear that I've lost interest in the series for quite some time. I suppose your next question is "why respond to the thread in the first place then?" Well, probably a mixture of boredom and mild curiosity. My curiosity. My curiosity was met with disappointment and for whatever reason, I felt compelled to share that disappointment. Dreadfully sorry about that. Know that I am not however disappointed in you or anyone else who do like the designs.

Thats... thats pedo bear in disguise...

Honestly thought.. i somehow cant get myselfe excited for pokemon games anymore... i mean every game is allmost exactly the same kept for one or two gimmicks that usually arent even part of the coregame.. wich has been the very same thing... get the arena badges... beat team rocket clone XYZ... get the increasingly absurd token legendary... beat the top 4... and your rival... a winrar is you!

Thats it... you do this every single game. The story is allways the same after 20+ years... everything else is just window dressing and key climpering features that get tossed away come the next game for even more unnecesary minigames and gimmicks...

But hey! SHE HAS A NEW HAT! *girly screams ensue*

Kibeth41:
/

Verrik:
/

Is it sad that I know most if not all the Pokemon you two referring to

tf2godz:

Kibeth41:
/

Verrik:
/

Is it sad that I know most if not all the Pokemon you two referring to

Round 2:

Bear
Polar Bear
Panda Bear
Care Bear
Lava duck
Dreidel
God
Coral
Pinecone
Keys
Icecream
Chandelier
Rocksnake
Giraffe
Tadpole

And for a bonus point:
Pink Floyd Album

Karadalis:

Honestly thought.. i somehow cant get myselfe excited for pokemon games anymore... i mean every game is allmost exactly the same kept for one or two gimmicks that usually arent even part of the coregame.. wich has been the very same thing... get the arena badges... beat team rocket clone XYZ... get the increasingly absurd token legendary... beat the top 4... and your rival... a winrar is you!

Thats it... you do this every single game. The story is allways the same after 20+ years... everything else is just window dressing and key climpering features that get tossed away come the next game for even more unnecesary minigames and gimmicks...

But hey! SHE HAS A NEW HAT! *girly screams ensue*

The reason the games never change is because they're trying to keep the games relevant to kids. They want the next generation of kids to grow up with the same Pokemon games that a lot of us grew up with. So it never changes. It's also the reason why the Pokemon cartoon never changes formula.

Of course, there are the occasional games which break away from the formula to try something new with the IP. Pokemon Go, Detective Pikachu, Pokemon Ranger, Mystery Dungeon, and Conquest are a few examples.

This isn't something to say "here are reasons why you SHOULD like it". It's merely an explanation to why the core Pokemon formula hasn't changed in 20 years.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here