Valve Serves Notice on 23 Steam Gambling Sites

Valve Serves Notice on 23 Steam Gambling Sites

cs-go-320

Valve is directing gambling sites tied to Steam to stop using accounts for commercial purposes.

There's been plenty of controversy lately centered around gambling site for Steam games, especially Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. After it came to light that some of the personalities promoting these sites also owned them, Valve spoke out, officially condemning item gambling. Now they've taken the next step, issuing cease and desist letters to 23 gambling sites.

The letter itself was posted to Twitter by the official account of one of the affected sites, CSGOBig.com. The post also indicated that the site would be closing "temporarily." Also named in the letter sent by Valve were 22 other sites, including CSGOLotto.com and CSGOLounge.com. There's even one DOTA 2 site on the list.

The letter directs the sites to "immediately cease and desist further use of your Steam accounts for any commercial purpose." There is also a strict deadline imposed. "If you fail to do this within ten (10) days Valve will pursue all available remedies including without limitation terminating your accounts."

As of now, some of the sites have already closed down. CSGOLOtto.com shut down on July 8 after being named in a lawsuit filed by a user. CSGODouble.com and CSDices.com both said last week that they would no longer be accepting deposits. CSGOWealth, which is not named in the letter, has gone with something less subtle, changing their site to a white page that simply reads, "Rip CSGOWealth. Blame Valve."

The recent revelations in the CS:GO community have been like a large rock dropped into a pond, and the ripples are still spreading. Twitch recently banned streaming these sites as well.

It's interesting to note that Valve isn't calling any of those sites "gambling sites." Instead they're focusing on the violation of the Steam Subscriber Agreement, which is well within their purview. Only time will tell how this one will end, but it's not looking good for the folks who run the sites in question.

You know, I just remember that news weeks ago when two Youtube guys were reveal to self promoting these gambling sites despite not mentioning they owned it to the public (especially in one case one of them was able to get an ultra rare item in one bet). Quick search reveal that the site they own is in the notice so I guess it was karma!

Valve wrapping up the whole "grey area steam market vitalization" thing?

About time.

Why yes, I will blame Valve...for doing the right thing...eventually...mostly to save their own asses...but hey, the outcome is still positive.

EDIT: For the uninformed, H3H3's video explaining everything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8fU2QG-lV0

Saelune:
Why yes, I will blame Valve...for doing the right thing...eventually...mostly to save their own asses...but hey, the outcome is still positive.

Agreed. The motivation probably mostly comes from trying to save face, but if that's what it takes to improve the situation as a whole then I'll take it.
Tmartn and his ilk can fuck off to the dark pit that spawned them and engage in perpetual anal razorwire sodomy.

Saelune:

It may be possible that they had no idea the gambling was going on. I heard only of it just after the controversy hit. I don't think it's unreasonable for someone to sit down and say, "Hold up. What CAN we do, what SHOULD we do?"

I don't think it's unreasonable, the time that they took to finally come out and round up as many as they could to take action. More-so when you consider their previous track record for Quality Control. But on the flip-side... If their QC had of been better, maaaaybe this entire controversy could have been avoided entirely. I can't be the only one who might see that, and think, "That can't be right. Someone should probably know about this."

BeerTent:

Saelune:

It may be possible that they had no idea the gambling was going on. I heard only of it just after the controversy hit. I don't think it's unreasonable for someone to sit down and say, "Hold up. What CAN we do, what SHOULD we do?"

I don't think it's unreasonable, the time that they took to finally come out and round up as many as they could to take action. More-so when you consider their previous track record for Quality Control. But on the flip-side... If their QC had of been better, maaaaybe this entire controversy could have been avoided entirely. I can't be the only one who might see that, and think, "That can't be right. Someone should probably know about this."

There is no way they did not know...and if they did not know, that is also pretty bad on them to be so oblivious.

There is no positive spin for letting this happen in the first place.

Not particularly concerned because I don't gamble, so whatever controversy surrounding this there is, it has little impact on my personally. Ergo, the end result is all that is overall important.

Still never saw anything wrong with them gambling. People choosing what to do with their money is bad? Sure, the scams that brought on all the attention were scams, but what's wrong with gambling itself?

Xeorm:
Still never saw anything wrong with them gambling. People choosing what to do with their money is bad? Sure, the scams that brought on all the attention were scams, but what's wrong with gambling itself?

You should probably ask the states that have extremely strict laws on gambling, especially those that don't look kindly on gambling being marketed to children.

ffronw:
It's interesting to note that Valve isn't calling any of those sites "gambling sites." Instead they're focusing on the violation of the Steam Subscriber Agreement, which is well within their purview.

The letter clearly says "We are aware that you own one of the gambling sites listed below." Or were you talking about in official statements?

Saelune:
There is no way they did not know...and if they did not know, that is also pretty bad on them to be so oblivious.

Uh....how would they have known? How could they have known?

Genuinely asking. Please explain.

But how does one prevent a thing from happening when you are unaware it is taking place?

I ask these things not because I'm trying to 'get Valve off the hook', but rather because I genuinely do not understand why are you making these claims.

You guys realize this is not the "right thing"? By including sites like DOTA2lounge they just killed off a large part of their scene. The part which doesn't have Valve funded million dollar price pools to sustain it.

Fittingly, CSGO will be hit harder than DOTA 2. DOTA at least gets some moderate form of developer attention to keep it alive.

Vigormortis:

Saelune:

Gambling sites made millions of dollars a month. Millions. If you added them all up its probably a billion dollar industry. All of them were using the Steam API, trading through Steam, making use of the Steam marketplace. They were sponsoring every professional player, team or stream out there. All of those have a direct contact inside Valve. Of course they knew it was happening.

Saelune:

BeerTent:

Saelune:

I'm not arguing that there's a positive spin, I'm just trying to think as to why it got to this point. Keep in mind, Valve needs to monitor a massive influx of games, DLC, Website API requests, and greenlight submissions every day. That's a lot. Can it be handled better? You bet your ass it can, but this is the reality of the situation. They're woefully under-equipped for that.

And then we also have Steam groups. Unchecked. I've already found a KKK Steam group that (I take that back, they're probably not serious.) (Apparently they REALLY like basketball.)
We also have new Steam accounts, and Steam Profile pages. If I change my profile page 20 times today, should a Valve employee need to sign off on it?
What about new accounts? Steam itself is free. How many new accounts do you think they go through every day from new users alone? What about Ex-cheaters? How many abuses of the API are they looking for?

Steam isn't a closed service of 5000 people. It's a really open service of hundreds of thousands of concurrent users. If one person were to abuse the loving Christ of the system, you won't see the processing power of the server spike. They have hundreds of servers for all of these users. On top of that, who do you pay to browse the internet? Someone who moderates what other websites do would have to be paid if it's their job. What does that person look for? Is it specifically cheating websites? Or Gambling websites? Do they even have a system in place for tracking every time a website tries to do something on steam? Even then, how difficult would it be to have a 3rd party program access Steam when a user clicks a button on the website? I haven't prodded much at all into this gambling stuff, so I don't know what it's like to log into one.

Even for a company as large as, say, Microsoft, or Apple... Even if they owned Steam... I still think that this would have still happened. Realistically, it's a pretty damn tall order to root something out like this as it's starting up.

Pirate Of PC Master race:
Valve wrapping up the whole "grey area steam market vitalization" thing?

About time.

Let me tell you what's not on time - Half Life 3.

Now if only they can do something about the shovelware bloating Greenlight.

Vigormortis:

Saelune:

But how does one prevent a thing from happening when you are unaware it is taking place?

I ask these things not because I'm trying to 'get Valve off the hook', but rather because I genuinely do not understand why are you making these claims.

If the gambling was a secret, then they wouldn't have been successful. This wasn't a hush hush behind closed doors with secret passwords, nor was it just some friends making personal bets. It was a super profitable business.

The second point is moot since I have no doubt they were aware of it.

BeerTent:

Saelune:

BeerTent:

I'm not arguing that there's a positive spin, I'm just trying to think as to why it got to this point. Keep in mind, Valve needs to monitor a massive influx of games, DLC, Website API requests, and greenlight submissions every day. That's a lot. Can it be handled better? You bet your ass it can, but this is the reality of the situation. They're woefully under-equipped for that.

And then we also have Steam groups. Unchecked. I've already found a KKK Steam group that (I take that back, they're probably not serious.) (Apparently they REALLY like basketball.)
We also have new Steam accounts, and Steam Profile pages. If I change my profile page 20 times today, should a Valve employee need to sign off on it?
What about new accounts? Steam itself is free. How many new accounts do you think they go through every day from new users alone? What about Ex-cheaters? How many abuses of the API are they looking for?

Steam isn't a closed service of 5000 people. It's a really open service of hundreds of thousands of concurrent users. If one person were to abuse the loving Christ of the system, you won't see the processing power of the server spike. They have hundreds of servers for all of these users. On top of that, who do you pay to browse the internet? Someone who moderates what other websites do would have to be paid if it's their job. What does that person look for? Is it specifically cheating websites? Or Gambling websites? Do they even have a system in place for tracking every time a website tries to do something on steam? Even then, how difficult would it be to have a 3rd party program access Steam when a user clicks a button on the website? I haven't prodded much at all into this gambling stuff, so I don't know what it's like to log into one.

Even for a company as large as, say, Microsoft, or Apple... Even if they owned Steam... I still think that this would have still happened. Realistically, it's a pretty damn tall order to root something out like this as it's starting up.

Personally I think Valve just doesn't care and lets people do what they want, which is why so many Steam groups are well, messed up. I don't think they don't know, I think Valve has just devolved into a money grubbing whore with no spine until it actually gets to them being potentially sued.

They are small because they choose to be. They are not lacking the money to expand.

Saelune:
If the gambling was a secret, then they wouldn't have been successful. This wasn't a hush hush behind closed doors with secret passwords, nor was it just some friends making personal bets. It was a super profitable business.

Right, but it wasn't an issue until it came to light that the sites were A: making use of certain aspects of the SteamID API, which was a violation of the Terms of Use, and B: many of the sites were owned by the same pro players who were promoting the sites.

Valve's response is in regards to those 2 points, not that the gambling sites existed. The essence of the sites, i.e. item betting, isn't in violation of any of the Terms of Use and therefore isn't an issue. The specifics are the issue.

But again, why? Why are you 'so sure'? There's no evidence they knew before hand, and their response to the issues (which, for those in the know, began before their public statement) started when they came to learn about the two points I mentioned above.

This seems almost like paranoia. Like saying, "This whole thing is questionable, of course Valve knew about it because we can't trust Valve!" It's like when everyone insisted EA was spying on our PCs with Origin because, "They're EA! Of course they are!" There was no rhyme or reason to it, no evidence backing it, just "EA is evil, so it's true!" Are you really impl...

Personally I think Valve just doesn't care and lets people do what they want, which is why so many Steam groups are well, messed up. I don't think they don't know, I think Valve has just devolved into a money grubbing whore with no spine until it actually gets to them being potentially sued.

Ah, right. I see. Never mind, then. I've lost interest in the conversation. Good day.

Saelune:
[...]

BeerTent:

Saelune:
[quote="BeerTent" post="7.940694.23726791"][quote="Saelune" post="7.940694.23726594"]Why yes, I will blame Valve...for doing the right thing...eventually...mostly to save their own asses...but hey, the outcome is still positive.

[...]

They are small because they choose to be. They are not lacking the money to expand.

Okay, there is one thing I want to nit-pick, and I might be digressing a little bit here, but, it needs to be said.

Valve is a business. A business is in it to make money. You ensure the green revenue number is a bigger number than the red expenditures number. You do this by doing everything in your power to make the money flowing in, and everything in your power to not spend things. To say that Valve... devolved is like saying that they didn't start as a business. They didn't start as a studio. That Half-Life was just free before they just decided one day that, "We have no love anymore. Funnel us money." They're a business, they started as a business, and the objective of every single business is to make money. You calling them money-grubbers is no different than the kids in high-school saying like, Linkin Park was cool before they totally sold out.

Onto the important part. Now, we both, know, that there's some strangely janky shit in the steam Community. KKK playing NBA to some odd Russian group revolving around what appears to be S&M. And they like Hotline Miami. But if we look at the main list for Steam Community groups, we get a page of 50 groups, and there's just under 3 million pages. Now, a lot of these groups are game groups, and it's on the developer to moderate those, but Valve, in the end, has, or is supposed to, have authority over these groups. It's Steam. Let's see how many groups that is that they have to moderate.

(The amount of pages.) x (Results per page.) = (Highball result.)
2,923,950 x 50 = 146,197,500
That's a hundred and forty six Million user-groups that a small team has to moderate.

I can't even imagine moderating the 500 at the end of that. I've worked and moderated sites about the half the size of The Escapist. Game servers, what-have you...

And this is user groups alone. How many fucking Greenlight submissions get tossed in per day? How many before a company decided to have automation take over because the workload is too much, and we need to limit ourselves to spot-checks? New game releases from unknown publishers even? Remember, the initial goal of Greenlight was to let the community decide. If the community wants a game where you take a shit on people from a balcony... Who knows? Balcony Shitter 2k16 could be the next Warframe.

I understand where your coming from, and it's not unreasonable to want quality control in an industry where Aliens: Colonial Marines is a passable product. Where customers are paying to be Beta Testers for Early Access games. But we also need to understand that Steam has grown to be this monolith, this super-massive beast of millions of people on at all times. It's just not possible to moderate every little bit at all times. And the ugly side of things is that when you do spot-checks... Well... You'll catch some, but miss a lot. As of 2013, Valve was only 330 employees large. That's not nearly enough, even if every single one was dedicated to the task.

Vigormortis:

Saelune:

Right, but it wasn't an issue until it came to light that the sites were A: making use of certain aspects of the SteamID API, which was a violation of the Terms of Use, and B: many of the sites were owned by the same pro players who were promoting the sites.

Valve's response is in regards to those 2 points, not that the gambling sites existed. The essence of the sites, i.e. item betting, isn't in violation of any of the Terms of Use and therefore isn't an issue. The specifics are the issue.

But again, why? Why are you 'so sure'? There's no evidence they knew before hand, and their response to the issues (which, for those in the know, began before their public statement) started when they came to learn about the two points I mentioned above.

This seems almost like paranoia. Like saying, "This whole thing is questionable, of course Valve knew about it because we can't trust Valve!" It's like when everyone insisted EA was spying on our PCs with Origin because, "They're EA! Of course they are!" There was no rhyme or reason to it, no evidence backing it, just "EA is evil, so it's true!" Are you really impl...

Ah, right. I see. Never mind, then. I've lost interest in the conversation. Good day.

Why do I have to be the spokesperson for this? There are plenty of people more eloquent than I, and more informed who can explain this to you. Don't need to be so high and mighty just because I have opinions.

H3H3, Totalbiscuit, and Jim Sterling are 3 recommendations for more info, as they all have videos explaining this stuff.

BeerTent:

Saelune:
[...]

BeerTent:
[...]

Okay, there is one thing I want to nit-pick, and I might be digressing a little bit here, but, it needs to be said.

Valve is a business. A business is in it to make money. You ensure the green revenue number is a bigger number than the red expenditures number. You do this by doing everything in your power to make the money flowing in, and everything in your power to not spend things. To say that Valve... devolved is like saying that they didn't start as a business. They didn't start as a studio. That Half-Life was just free before they just decided one day that, "We have no love anymore. Funnel us money." They're a business, they started as a business, and the objective of every single business is to make money. You calling them money-grubbers is no different than the kids in high-school saying like, Linkin Park was cool before they totally sold out.

Onto the important part. Now, we both, know, that there's some strangely janky shit in the steam Community. KKK playing NBA to some odd Russian group revolving around what appears to be S&M. And they like Hotline Miami. But if we look at the main list for Steam Community groups, we get a page of 50 groups, and there's just under 3 million pages. Now, a lot of these groups are game groups, and it's on the developer to moderate those, but Valve, in the end, has, or is supposed to, have authority over these groups. It's Steam. Let's see how many groups that is that they have to moderate.

(The amount of pages.) x (Results per page.) = (Highball result.)
2,923,950 x 50 = 146,197,500
That's a hundred and forty six Million user-groups that a small team has to moderate.

I can't even imagine moderating the 500 at the end of that. I've worked and moderated sites about the half the size of The Escapist. Game servers, what-have you...

And this is user groups alone. How many fucking Greenlight submissions get tossed in per day? How many before a company decided to have automation take over because the workload is too much, and we need to limit ourselves to spot-checks? New game releases from unknown publishers even? Remember, the initial goal of Greenlight was to let the community decide. If the community wants a game where you take a shit on people from a balcony... Who knows? Balcony Shitter 2k16 could be the next Warframe.

I understand where your coming from, and it's not unreasonable to want quality control in an industry where Aliens: Colonial Marines is a passable product. Where customers are paying to be Beta Testers for Early Access games. But we also need to understand that Steam has grown to be this monolith, this super-massive beast of millions of people on at all times. It's just not possible to moderate every little bit at all times. And the ugly side of things is that when you do spot-checks... Well... You'll catch some, but miss a lot. As of 2013, Valve was only 330 employees large. That's not nearly enough, even if every single one was dedicated to the task.

Just because you're a business, doesn't mean you have to be terrible. The goal of making money doesn't excuse morally unjust methods. Letting children gamble, or even adults without regulations to prevent fraud, aren't excusable because of capitalistic greed. CD Project seems to be doing a good job of making money and not abusing customers with GoG.

Saelune:

BeerTent:
[...]

Just because you're a business, doesn't mean you have to be terrible. The goal of making money doesn't excuse morally unjust methods. Letting children gamble, or even adults without regulations to prevent fraud, aren't excusable because of capitalistic greed. CD Project seems to be doing a good job of making money and not abusing customers with GoG.

Well, keep in mind. CD Projekt Red is a studio. They don't have the publishing power and responsibility that Valve and steam has. They have a partnership with GoG. They don't have a product that has grown so massive as to be THE #1 Software distribution service for Games.

Again, I get where your coming from, but to say that, "It should never have been possible for this to slip through the cracks." or even to assume that, would be insane. Again, it's just not possible to moderate every single facet of who and what uses Steam with 100% accuracy. I feel like I'm parroting at this point.

BeerTent:

Saelune:

BeerTent:
[...]

Well, keep in mind. CD Projekt Red is a studio. They don't have the publishing power and responsibility that Valve and steam has. They have a partnership with GoG. They don't have a product that has grown so massive as to be THE #1 Software distribution service for Games.

Again, I get where your coming from, but to say that, "It should never have been possible for this to slip through the cracks." or even to assume that, would be insane. Again, it's just not possible to moderate every single facet of who and what uses Steam with 100% accuracy. I feel like I'm parroting at this point.

No, CD Projekt owns and runs GoG.

Maybe if it wasn't a Valve game, their newest one, and a big one, I could agree, but it was a Valve game, and their newest one, and a big one. It was home turf. They should atleast know their home turf. Plus the prevalence of keys and chest drops and the marketpalce's role in all this, to me, supports the idea that Valve is a money monster, not just a business trying to earn a profit. Its one thing in a free game like TF2 or Dota 2, but CS:GO is a full priced game.

This makes me happy, though I lament the fact that it took community investigation and whistle blowing to push Valve into action.

Saelune:

BeerTent:

Saelune:
[...]

Maybe if it wasn't a Valve game, their newest one, and a big one, I could agree, but it was a Valve game, and their newest one, and a big one. It was home turf. They should atleast know their home turf. Plus the prevalence of keys and chest drops and the marketpalce's role in all this, to me, supports the idea that Valve is a money monster, not just a business trying to earn a profit. Its one thing in a free game like TF2 or Dota 2, but CS:GO is a full priced game.

I stand corrected.

If the problem is with the micro-transactions, and not with impossible moderation standards, then wouldn't it be fair to say that there's a possibility of bias?

You bring up the point of Free paid content. I'll admit to buying Warframe's Platinum, Robocraft's Premium currency, and E-passes/Crystal in Spiral Knights.

I'll take a second to lump in that TF2's lock-boxes and CS:GO's capsules are really the same thing. But again, this is difficult to compare. I paid for TF2, and all it got me in the end was a doofy fuckin' hat. Furthermore, TF2's boxes produce more depth of choice to the player, whereas CSGO's stickers and skins do not. I feel it would make more sense to state that TF2's paid content, along with GTAO's paid content is a larger problem than that of CSGO's or Overwatch's crates. The latter of which I just don't even bother opening when I level anymore.

Again, it's not a practice I agree with, but on those sides of things, I don't make the decisions. The general collective of customers do. And as long as people continue to buy, which they will and there's nothing either of us can do about it, then the developers and publishers will continue to test the waters until they get bit. And it's not up to me, or you to bite either. EA is sure as hell not feeling the sting from my boycott. I will only pay for the content I deem is worth it, which means no to drills for PayDay 2, no GTA shark cards, no Overwatch loot boxes, and sure as fuck no more Valve game Content.

This is made even worse, now that people have put us, the Videogame Consumer in an even more interesting situation. We have stated in the past that we are NOT okay with something in this industry, and then weeks before launch day, we line up for Evolve Preorders. We have a boycott group all playing the game we're supposedly boycotting. We have proven that we have literally no backbone.

This is the state of the industry now. Should we do something about it...? Yes! Are we going to? Fuck no! That would be work! Let's just sit here and type about how wrong it is and feel good about ourselves while we shut off the analytical part of our brains when we see buzzwords.

I've gone a smidgeon off topic. Thank you for making me look up that dealeo with CD Projekt. I honestly had no idea they ran GoG.

BeerTent:

Saelune:

BeerTent:

I stand corrected.

If the problem is with the micro-transactions, and not with impossible moderation standards, then wouldn't it be fair to say that there's a possibility of bias?

You bring up the point of Free paid content. I'll admit to buying Warframe's Platinum, Robocraft's Premium currency, and E-passes/Crystal in Spiral Knights.

I'll take a second to lump in that TF2's lock-boxes and CS:GO's capsules are really the same thing. But again, this is difficult to compare. I paid for TF2, and all it got me in the end was a doofy fuckin' hat. Furthermore, TF2's boxes produce more depth of choice to the player, whereas CSGO's stickers and skins do not. I feel it would make more sense to state that TF2's paid content, along with GTAO's paid content is a larger problem than that of CSGO's or Overwatch's crates. The latter of which I just don't even bother opening when I level anymore.

Again, it's not a practice I agree with, but on those sides of things, I don't make the decisions. The general collective of customers do. And as long as people continue to buy, which they will and there's nothing either of us can do about it, then the developers and publishers will continue to test the waters until they get bit. And it's not up to me, or you to bite either. EA is sure as hell not feeling the sting from my boycott. I will only pay for the content I deem is worth it, which means no to drills for PayDay 2, no GTA shark cards, no Overwatch loot boxes, and sure as fuck no more Valve game Content.

This is made even worse, now that people have put us, the Videogame Consumer in an even more interesting situation. We have stated in the past that we are NOT okay with something in this industry, and then weeks before launch day, we line up for Evolve Preorders. We have a boycott group all playing the game we're supposedly boycotting. We have proven that we have literally no backbone.

This is the state of the industry now. Should we do something about it...? Yes! Are we going to? Fuck no! That would be work! Let's just sit here and type about how wrong it is and feel good about ourselves while we shut off the analytical part of our brains when we see buzzwords.

I've gone a smidgeon off topic. Thank you for making me look up that dealeo with CD Projekt. I honestly had no idea they ran GoG.

I got a whole lot of Valve crates that sit unopened cause well, I hate microtransactions, so it seems we definatly agree there.

CD Projekt doesn't seem to push their name and GoG together like Valve does with Steam. I am fairly new to the GoG > Steam group though, and if not for Steam holding my PC gaming collection hostage, Id probably just use GoG. I mostly just want GoG's competition to motivate Valve to do a better job. I don't want to hate them, but apparently it takes a potential lawsuit to get them going. I suppose I should insert a joke about suing them to make HL3.

As for Valve, CS:GO, and gambling, while Id definatly prefer to not have it at all, if it must happen, it needs to be regulated. Children shouldn't be able to partake, and people like those who are the center of this whole thing, ProSyndicate, and TmarTn, who basically tried to scam people. They own a popular CG:GO betting site, yet on their popular youtube channels, acted like they just happened upon it. That's like if the guys running the casino pretended to be high rollers to attract people when they just had the games rigged.

This isn't just Valve allowing gambling, which I think is what most people defending them think it is. I'm going to add a link to my original post to H3H3's video on the subject, since I think its important to watch, as it goes into detail about all this.

Saelune:
Why do I have to be the spokesperson for this? There are plenty of people more eloquent than I, and more informed who can explain this to you. Don't need to be so high and mighty just because I have opinions.

H3H3, Totalbiscuit, and Jim Sterling are 3 recommendations for more info, as they all have videos explaining this stuff.

When did I ask you to be a spokesperson for anything? I asked why you feel Valve must have known about the seedy, shady underbelly of some of the Steam item gambling sites well before anyone else, even though there's no meaningful evidence indicating they had. I asked why you felt that way. If you can't answer a simple question like that without resorting to saying, "Well, just look up some random video from some random jerko on Youtube", then why should I take you at your word? Why do you even hold so firmly to your claim? It's baffling, Saelune. It's why I asked for evidence that wasn't pure, unsupported speculation.[1] I'm not looking for you to explain the entirety of the situation (something I'm already up-to-date on, by the way). I'm asking you why you believe what you're saying. That's all.

If this is how this conversation is genuinely going to go, with you essentially avoiding my questions, then I really am done. I hope it's not, but if it is, then...again...good day.

[1] See: my previous EA / Origin example.

Vigormortis:

Saelune:

When did I ask you to be a spokesperson for anything? I asked why you feel Valve must have known about the seedy, shady underbelly of some of the Steam item gambling sites well before anyone else, even though there's no meaningful evidence indicating they had. I asked why you felt that way. If you can't answer a simple question like that without resorting to saying, "Well, just look up some random video from some random jerko on Youtube", then why should I take you at your word? Why do you even hold so firmly to your claim? It's baffling, Saelune. It's why I asked for evidence that wasn't pure, unsupported speculation.[1] I'm not looking for you to explain the entirety of the situation (something I'm already up-to-date on, by the way). I'm asking you why you believe what you're saying. That's all.

If this is how this conversation is genuinely going to go, with you essentially avoiding my questions, then I really am done. I hope it's not, but if it is, then...again...good day.

You did not like my answer, so I directed you to some videos that might give you an answer you can better swallow, since you first seem to criticize me for having an opinion about it, and now apparently want it again. But unlike you, I don't like to just write people off, so I will try again to better answer you.

Companies should be responsible for their products. It would be one thing if it was most games, cause Steam is big, and it is not completely up to Valve to deal with every game's issues. But this was as I said to the other person, the newest game made by Valve, and a big one at that.

As for why I feel as I do, well, Valve has shown a massive decline in being a commendable company. They neglect their consumers, and do a piss poor job of running Steam and Valve itself. As such, I am not surprised they took so long to do anything, and even if they did not know, it still paints a bad picture of their lack of attention to their own products.

If they knew what was happening and allowed it, that is shady. If they did not know, its because they are irresponsible, which again is a bad thing.

[1] See: my previous EA / Origin example.

Saelune:
You did not like my answer,

What answer? You made a claim about Valve, I asked you why you thought that was true, you avoided the question by saying, "Just watch some Youtube videos about it."

so I directed you to some videos

No you didn't. You mentioned some Youtubers. You never provided, nor even specified, any particular videos.

that might give you an answer you can better swallow,

How dismissive of you. Classy.

since you first seem to criticize me for having an opinion about it,

I didn't criticize you for having an opinion. I asked you to clarify that opinion and provide me with evidence that supported the basis of that opinion. You have done neither.

and now apparently want it again.

No. I want clarity on why you believe what you're claiming is true. I'm not interested in hearing what you believe, again and again. I only wanted to know why you believe it and what proof you have that it's true.

But unlike you, I don't like to just write people off,

Wow. That was certainly uncalled for. What's with the insults?

And since when is asking someone to provide proof of a claim 'writing them off'?

so I will try again to better answer you.

Or answer for the first time, technically. But sure. Go for it.

Companies should be responsible for their products.

Agreed, within reason.

It would be one thing if it was most games, cause Steam is big, and it is not completely up to Valve to deal with every game's issues. But this was as I said to the other person, the newest game made by Valve, and a big one at that.

Dota 2 is their latest game (if we discount The Lab).

As for why I feel as I do, well, Valve has shown a massive decline in being a commendable company.

How so? Care to elaborate?

They neglect their consumers,

and do a piss poor job of running Steam and Valve itself.

How so? Care to clarify?

As such, I am not surprised they took so long to do anything,

Took too long to respond to a situation they had no way of knowing was in play until evidence presented itself?

Oh yes. How dare they not preemptively respond to a situation they were unaware of being present or even possible. The bastards.

and even if they did not know,

They probably didn't.

it still paints a bad picture of their lack of attention to their own products.

It paints a bad picture of them for not knowing about something they couldn't have known about?

That paints a bad picture of us all, does it not?

If they knew what was happening and allowed it, that is shady. If they did not know, its because they are irresponsible, which again is a bad thing.

Again: If they couldn't have known, why is it their fault for not responding until evidence came to light?

Should I personally hold you responsible if someone comes along, breaks into your car, and steals it? Is it your fault for not expecting that person to come along at that moment to steal your vehicle? Or, more to the point, should I blame you if, despite your best efforts, someone figured out a way to steal your bandwidth through your wifi network? Is it your fault for not knowing that specific person would figure out how to circumvent your security?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: There are plenty of things to criticize Valve over. Missteps and mistakes. But this? This thing you're doing here? It's absurd.

Oh, and I'm still waiting for an answer as to why you think your claims are true. Evidence would be a nice start.

Vigormortis:

Saelune:
You did not like my answer,

What answer? You made a claim about Valve, I asked you why you thought that was true, you avoided the question by saying, "Just watch some Youtube videos about it."

so I directed you to some videos

No you didn't. You mentioned some Youtubers. You never provided, nor even specified, any particular videos.

that might give you an answer you can better swallow,

How dismissive of you. Classy.

since you first seem to criticize me for having an opinion about it,

I didn't criticize you for having an opinion. I asked you to clarify that opinion and provide me with evidence that supported the basis of that opinion. You have done neither.

and now apparently want it again.

No. I want clarity on why you believe what you're claiming is true. I'm not interested in hearing what you believe, again and again. I only wanted to know why you believe it and what proof you have that it's true.

But unlike you, I don't like to just write people off,

Wow. That was certainly uncalled for. What's with the insults?

And since when is asking someone to provide proof of a claim 'writing them off'?

so I will try again to better answer you.

Or answer for the first time, technically. But sure. Go for it.

Companies should be responsible for their products.

Agreed, within reason.

It would be one thing if it was most games, cause Steam is big, and it is not completely up to Valve to deal with every game's issues. But this was as I said to the other person, the newest game made by Valve, and a big one at that.

Dota 2 is their latest game (if we discount The Lab).

As for why I feel as I do, well, Valve has shown a massive decline in being a commendable company.

They neglect their consumers,

and do a piss poor job of running Steam and Valve itself.

How so? Care to clarify?

As such, I am not surprised they took so long to do anything,

Took too long to respond to a situation they had no way of knowing was in play until evidence presented itself?

Oh yes. How dare they not preemptively respond to a situation they were unaware of being present or even possible. The bastards.

and even if they did not know,

They probably didn't.

it still paints a bad picture of their lack of attention to their own products.

It paints a bad picture of them for not knowing about something they couldn't have known about?

That paints a bad picture of us all, does it not?

Again: If they couldn't have known, why is it their fault for not responding until evidence came to light?

Should I personally hold you responsible if someone comes along, breaks into your car, and steals it? Is it your fault for not expecting that person to come along at that moment to steal your vehicle? Or, more to the point, should I blame you if, despite your best efforts, someone figured out a way to steal your bandwidth through your wifi network? Is it your fault for not knowing that specific person would figure out how to circumvent your security?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: There are plenty of things to criticize Valve over. Missteps and mistakes. But this? This thing you're doing here? It's absurd.

Oh, and I'm still waiting for an answer as to why you think your claims are true. Evidence would be a nice start.

Most of this stuff I might as well copy/paste my last post. Id directly link you to videos, but you don't seem to want to watch them anyways. Here are the video links anyways, to cover my bases.
H3H3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8fU2QG-lV0
Totalbiscuit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z_VY8KZpMU
Jim Sterling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng_SbSdUkc8

As for dismissiveness, you ended your last few posts literally with "good day" because you seem to know everything already. Not exactly good form. You can dislike me, my opinions, or even arguing with me, but you don't have to be an ass.

Dota 2 is infact their latest game. I could have swore Dota 2 was older than CS:GO though. Guess I was wrong on that part atleast.

As for Valve doing a bad job. Well, on the game developer side, they well...don't seem to do that anymore. Hell, I thought CS:GO was a much more recent game, perhaps 2014 maybe, but nope, 2012, so the fact Dota 2 is their most recent game at 2013, with no clear signs of making anything else that considering them a game developer seems hard to do. Ofcourse they could be hard at work at something, but they are being way to secretive about it if they are.

I will give them the hardware side of things though, but its early still and we will see.

As for Steam, there is a SEVERE lack of quality control. So much shovelware garbage on Steam, and shitty publishers who literally just publish garbage game after garbage game run free. I would hope they would have more dignity and pride in Steam to not let just anyone poop in their yard.

And there is a difference between someone stealing your car, and someone running a gambling racket in your basement. If people were doing that in my basement, Id have to be pretty dense not to know it. That is certainly a more equivalent metaphor.

As for proof, I use Steam. I know that likely wont satisfy you, and you'd prefer I link some news reports or something, but I say this as someone who uses Steam, who sees the ways it lacks and the garbage that drowns the store page all too often. And as someone who uses GoG who sees what quality control is.

EDIT: http://store.steampowered.com/app/495300/ Even as someone who has a very negative opinion on him, I really don't need this on something like Steam. I didn't even look for this, but it was there on my store page. Steam shouldn't become a cesspit like those free internet game sites.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here