Report: Nintendo NX is Portable With Detachable Controllers

Pages PREV 1 2

Is everyone forgetting the Gamecube was totally a portable console. I mean why else would it have a handle...?

I really don't know what to think about the NX, and every time a new rumor appears I get even more confused.

I don't see a problem with cartridges personally. For starters, shorter load times. No need for installation. You can substitute a HDD for simply ever more potent, easily exchangeable, less weighty memory cards (which doesn't cost the Earth if they break (assuming Nintendo fixes its e-purchases systems and have proper accounts). Plus it makes it so not worth the effort trying to pirate games for it.

I think someone said it above. So crazy it could work. As for portable? Ehhh, I can see the appeal. As long as it's powerful enough. Maybe have dual graphics options? Games that can run decently in portable with set display options, and another for a docking station hooked up to a TV. How nice it would be to play Co-op right next to someone, without having to move an entire console?

Or do the whole direct input-wireless contol thing. World is growing more mobile. More people living in temporary residences. Even in family situations, easy mobility is a plus. More people having more flatmates sharing common resources. The demographics of videogaming are changing, makes sense videogaming consoles keep pace if they want to be seen as better options to mobiles.

I rather like the idea. It may turn out to be total crap but I'll give it a look. Having a dockable handheld system that can consolidate my gaming library is a pretty cool idea. I wouldn't need console games and handheld games separately.

Well, that rumour certainly sounds very Nintendo-like. Still, people should wait for the official announcement before making condemnations.

Anyone sensing a repeat of the virtual boy. Let's. Two detachable controllers. Which means either the controllers are bloddy small aor the device will be bloody huge. Someone should tell nintendo that a device the size of an Ipad is not technically a handheld.

Also elephant in the room, the battery life....nuff said.

Thirdly and I think interestingly enough, people forget why the industry moved away from carts. They were expensive to make. Though I suspect what they're calling carts will just be novelty shaped sd cards.

Seriously, what is with all the japanese gaming companies going batshit crazy. First Konami, now Nintendo...and lets not sopeak of Sega and sonic... granted sonic mania looks good.

MonsterCrit:
Anyone sensing a repeat of the virtual boy. Let's. Two detachable controllers. Which means either the controllers are bloddy small aor the device will be bloody huge. Someone should tell nintendo that a device the size of an Ipad is not technically a handheld.

Also elephant in the room, the battery life....nuff said.

Thirdly and I think interestingly enough, people forget why the industry moved away from carts. They were expensive to make. Though I suspect what they're calling carts will just be novelty shaped sd cards.

Seriously, what is with all the japanese gaming companies going batshit crazy. First Konami, now Nintendo...and lets not sopeak of Sega and sonic... granted sonic mania looks good.

Because it's not like the 3DS, Wii U, Wii, DS, and N64 were all trying something different or anything. This is literally the first console where Nintendo has gone off the deep end. /sarc

The gaming industry never got rid of cartridges. Only the home consoles. But there are have always been very clear advantages to using cartridges. And as we move more and more into the digital era, cartridges are less detrimental to developers.

And an iPad IS a handheld. A device used while held in your hands = handheld. 'Handheld' is not a synonimous term with 'small enough to fit into a pocket'.

As for battery life, we'll see. It's clear they're taking steps to make the console run efficiently. But if they're able to give the Pro Controller 80+ hours of battery life, then I'm sure they can give the NX at least 4. Neither of us can cast any logical judgement until the console's shown.

Kibeth41:

Because it's not like the 3DS, Wii U, Wii, DS, and N64 were all trying something different or anything. This is literally the first console where Nintendo has gone off the deep end. /sarc

And look how nicely that worked for the WiiU.

The gaming industry never got rid of cartridges. Only the home consoles. But there are have always been very clear advantages to using cartridges. And as we move more and more into the digital era, cartridges are less detrimental to developers.

Outside the nintendo handhelds, carts were pretty much abandoned. And in this digital era there is even less reason for adeveloper to want to invest in such a money sink as cartidges. Disks were significantly cheaper than carts and that's why the industry as a whole kind ran in that direction.

And an iPad IS a handheld. A device used while held in your hands = handheld. 'Handheld' is not a synonimous term with 'small enough to fit into a pocket'.

No one calls a laptop a handheld so please , let's try not to be pedantic. This thing, from what we've hear already is going to be larger than an Ipad, or those controllers will be cripplingly small. Even uusing teh wii mot dpad stick, to mount two of those... you know what. nuff said. I'mm calling it right here. this will be Virtual boy 2.0.

Course so long as Nintendo says there's gonna be a pokemon game on it, people will bank roll the idiotic thing.

As for battery life, we'll see. It's clear they're taking steps to make the console run efficiently. But if they're able to give the Pro Controller 80+ hours of battery life, then I'm sure they can give the NX at least 4. Neither of us can cast any logical judgement until the console's shown.[/quote]

MonsterCrit:

Kibeth41:

And look how nicely that worked for the WiiU.

Stop the presses, nevermind the 4 successful innovations. There was one singular failure. Let's just follow the rules of the internet. Only cherrypick the parts of the facts which support your opinion, right? Even though more evidence contradicts it, overall.

No one calls a laptop a handheld so please , let's try not to be pedantic

Are you for real? iPads are not Laptops. Jesus, at least have the dignity to admit fault and not move your goalposts when you're proven wrong.

Laptops are not handhelds, because they're PCs designed for your lap.

Now, I understand if you're no expert on anatomy, but you surely realize that your hands are on the ends of your wrists, while your lap is a term to describe the top of your legs, right?

Also, the Wii U gamepad is technically bigger than an iPad. They could dump the hardware into that, and it'd still be a handheld.

So, next time you reply, why don't you try addressing some points that you've conveniently ignored?

-The successful innovations of the 3DS, DS, Wii and N64.
-The benefits of cartridges vs disks in a handheld device
-Your extremely weird definition of 'handheld'

I can't see much in your comment aside from baseless statements and assumptions. Honestly, the last part of your post is essentially "I don't need to justify myself! The NX is the Virtual 2.0 BECAUSE I SAY SO!!!"

Am I the only one getting sick of these rumors? Ever since people trolled the internet via those fake controllers, not only I refuse to believe anything from these rumors from anonymous sources, but I am sick of all this talk about the NX. We know Nintendo is up to something, but it's gonna be the same old song and dance: Ubisoft will initially say yes, Activision will say yes with only a handful of titles, Bethesda and EA will say no, because of course they will; Sega sigh.

Can we talk about the stuff that matters like backwards compatibility, Ubisoft gave us a huge hint that it'll be compatible with Wiimote because of Just Dance, so they won't stray too far from the Wii, and such the Wii U, because... they already have a library and the NX only has two games. This is not speculation, I am just piecing together what we know.

Bad Player:
This sounds unlikely to me... Not sure how you can have a console that's small enough to be portable while also being big enough to have two controllers.

A dock with HDMI out. This will finish them in the console market if it fails.

Isn't this what Sony did with the Vita? And wasn't that a colossal failure? The 5th Gen comparison is looking more and more appropriate.

In all seriousness, it sounds like they're trying to combine the handheld and home consoles into one device. In theory, there is a handheld that can play games on its own, but can be connected to the TV for home console users. This sounds like an interesting idea, but it begs some questions like:

-How big are the cartridges (as storage size, not physical size)?
-Will the 'base' have more power than the handheld?
-Will the handheld have its own cartridge slot or will it use Wireless?
-Will the handheld scale down the resolution or will the games have to have lowered graphics settings?
-Are the controllers attached to the handheld or the base?
-Does the handheld actually have a decent battery life?

Nintendo's finally lost it

A little reading between the lines goes a long way. I believe, if this is true, that what will happen is that a single controller will come with a detachable screen. Either that, or the controllers are attached to the base. Because, in all honesty, Nintendo has some bizarre ideas sometimes, but there's bizarre and there's stupid.

Quellist:
If thats true (and i sincerely hope it isn't), Nintendo can eat a dick!

There's just about no possible way (Unless they unearthed some UFO tech) that a handheld with games on cartridges is going to compete side by side with Sony and M$

I would agree.

No way they could get PS4 level processing power in a handheld. The PS4's GPU is made by AMD, one of the top GPU vendors in the world. It's pure delusion to think Nintendo can squeeze that much power into a handheld.

And don't get me started on batteries. If you want the most GPU power for battery juice, there is only one company to go to, PowerVR**. They have the mobile GPU market pretty much all to themselves - with nvidia trying but failing to make inroads. But their offerings are a far cry capabilities-wise to the GPUs in home consoles and PCs.

** Guess what GPUs the PSV uses.

Kibeth41:

I agree, Nintendo has long gone off the deep end since the N64.

That's how they lost the home console game market they once dominated.

deadish:

Kibeth41:

The Wii, DS and 3DS are some of the best selling consoles of all time. The N64 also did really well.

You agreed with my point that Nintendo have always made innovative consoles. But you tried using that as an example to state that's why they have poor sales? The innovative consoles are the most profitable consoles they release.

It's arguable that the Gamecube and Wii U only sold poorly because they attempted to keep to the mainstream competition.

Your point is extremely weak. Nice try though.

Kibeth41:

deadish:

Kibeth41:

The Wii, DS and 3DS are three of the best selling consoles of all time.

You agreed with my point that Nintendo have always made innovative consoles. But you tried using that as an example to state that's why they have poor sales? The innovative consoles are the most profitable consoles they release.

It's arguable that the Gamecube and Wii U only sold poorly because they attempted to keep to the mainstream competition.

Your point is extremely weak. Nice try though.

Would the DS and 3DS be as successful without the Gameboys as their predecessors? Would they be as successful if the handheld market wasn't as devoid of competitors?

The Wii was a flash in the pan. Cute gimmick, attracted a big crowd, but in the end was nothing of lasting value.

deadish:

Would the DS and 3DS be as successful without the Gameboys as their predecessors? Would they be as successful if the handheld market wasn't as devoid of competitors?

The Wii was a flash in the pan. Cute gimmick, attracted a big crowd, but in the end was nothing of lasting value.

Are you really trying to argue this corner? You're wrong. Accept it. Honestly now...

The DS and 3DS did have competitors. The Wii wasn't "a flash in the pan". It introduced motion controls to the home consoles, and led to Sony developing Playstation Move, and Microsoft developing Kinect to try and compete with it. Now it's led to us having tech like the Vive.

Yeah, don't try and argue against these points because "I like to pretend Nintendo are doing shit". Facts are facts.

Kibeth41:

deadish:

Are you really trying to argue this corner? You're wrong. Accept it. Honestly now...

The DS and 3DS did have competitors. The Wii wasn't "a flash in the pan". It introduced motion controls to the home consoles, and led to Sony developing Playstation Move, and Microsoft developing Kinect to try and compete with it. Now it's led to us having tech like the Vive.

Yeah, don't try and argue against these points because "I like to pretend Nintendo are doing shit". Facts are facts.

The barely surviving PSP isn't much of a competitor. The PSV was unfortunately DOA.

Look where the Kinect is now?

If VR didn't get the hype it did, motion controls would have faded into obscurity like the Virtual Boy - or are you going to claim that Nintendo invented VR too. /LOL

deadish:

The barely surviving PSP isn't much of a competitor. The PSV was unfortunately DOA.

If VR didn't get the hype it did, motion controls would have faded into obscurity like the Virtual Boy - or are you going to claim that Nintendo invented VR too. /LOL

"The DS and 3DS had no competition. Oh, they did have competition? Well it doesn't count, because I said so". Sorry, you're not allowed to disqualify facts that contradict your point. You're conveying a weak point.

And inventing =/= incorporating into the mainstream home games console market. Incorporating tech is still innovation though.

"The consoles were largely successful but they don't count because I don't want them to!" - The arguments you're making are nothing but exhausting. I don't even get what point you're trying to make? That innovations in tech to aim a console at a different market to the mainstream lump is unprofitable? All evidence indicates that you're factually wrong about that.

I don't get why you take such huge offense to the fact that Nintendo's 'gimmicks' actually do well. Going to drop some knowledge on you here. You ready??

Products sell really well when they have a UNIQUE SELLING POINT.

Kibeth41:

deadish:

"The DS and 3DS had no competition. Oh, they did have competition? Well it doesn't count, because I said so". Sorry, you're not allowed to disqualify facts that contradict your point. You're conveying a weak point.

And inventing =/= incorporating into the mainstream home games console market. Incorporating tech is still innovation though.

"The consoles were largely successful but they don't count because I don't want them to!" - The arguments you're making are nothing but exhausting. I don't even get what point you're trying to make? That innovations in tech to aim a console at a different market to the mainstream lump is unprofitable? All evidence indicates that you're factually wrong about that.

I don't get why you take such huge offense to the fact that Nintendo's 'gimmicks' actually do well. Going to drop some knowledge on you here. You ready??

Products sell really well when they have a UNIQUE SELLING POINT.

Nintendo's gimmicks do well in the same way fads do well.

Remember the macarena? Looking back, it was pretty ridiculous.

deadish:

Wrong once more. Nintendo's 'gimmicks' do well enough to a point where people eventually stop thinking of them as gimmicks. The majority of features even get carried through generations to future consoles. Even motion controls.

For example, the dual screens of the DS were initially seen as a gimmick, but then were well received enough that the features were passed to the 3DS, the Wii U, and seemingly the NX as well.

There are examples where features were scrapped, such as the 3D on the 3DS, but that's only a in a few cases, where you're arguing that it's all cases.

Again, Nintendo has always sold really well whenever the consoles have a good unique selling point. You're not able to say "they don't count because boohoo". No idea why you're so distraught about the fact that Nintendo do quite well whenever something new is done with a console, but whatever.

Kibeth41:
The N64 also did really well.

By what metric?

Total sales of the N64 compared to the SNES were down 32% ( 49.10M Snes vs 32.93M N64 ), Nintendo's market share went down 65% ( 64% Snes vs 23% N64 ) all the while the market for home consoles grew by 90% ( 76.74M Snes era vs 146M N64 era ).

Although to be expected to a certain degree due to new hardware, software for the N64 also shrunk by 50% compared to the SNES ( ~783 Snes titles vs ~388 N64 titles ).

Geez, what a lame idea. I was really hopeful that it would end up being something stronger, at this point I give up on waiting for Nintendo to wake the fuck up.

bluegate:

Kibeth41:
The N64 also did really well.

By what metric?

Total sales of the N64 compared to the SNES were down 32% ( 49.10M Snes vs 32.93M N64 ), Nintendo's market share went down 65% ( 64% Snes vs 23% N64 ) all the while the market for home consoles grew by 90% ( 76.74M Snes era vs 146M N64 era ).

Although to be expected to a certain degree due to new hardware, software for the N64 also shrunk by 50% compared to the SNES ( ~783 Snes titles vs ~388 N64 titles ).

You ignore the fact that sales of the console were still pretty high.

Not doing as well as predecessors =/= not doing well.

Kibeth41:

deadish:

Wrong once more. Nintendo's 'gimmicks' do well enough to a point where people eventually stop thinking of them as gimmicks. The majority of features even get carried through generations to future consoles. Even motion controls.

For example, the dual screens of the DS were initially seen as a gimmick, but then were well received enough that the features were passed to the 3DS, the Wii U, and seemingly the NX as well.

There are examples where features were scrapped, such as the 3D on the 3DS, but that's only a in a few cases, where you're arguing that it's all cases.

Again, Nintendo has always sold really well whenever the consoles have a good unique selling point. You're not able to say "they don't count because boohoo". No idea why you're so distraught about the fact that Nintendo do quite well whenever something new is done with a console, but whatever.

LOL. The dual screens were only pass down to later Nintendo handhelds. No one else has bothered - personally I think the whole idea is pretty dumb; you can only look at one screen at a time, 50% of the screens are wasted. (I won't be surprised if Nintendo only went with 2 screens to save money as 1 large screen is probably more expensive 2 smaller ones at the time.)

Motion controls are dead. They are only seeing a limited (at the moment) revival thanks to VR. As a bread and butter control scheme for games, looks schoole dualshock type controllers are still the standard.

One thing I will give Nintendo credit for those is shoulder buttons introduced in the SNES ... but since then ...

deadish:

LOL. The dual screens were only pass down to later Nintendo handhelds. No one else has bothered - personally I think the whole idea is pretty dumb; you can only look at one screen at a time, 50% of the screens are wasted. (I won't be surprised if Nintendo only went with 2 screens to save money as 1 large screen is probably more expensive 2 smaller ones at the time.)

Well fuck. This is useless. I can only look at one screen at a time, 50% of the screens are wasted. Fucking gimmick.

I feel that I need to repeat... The dual screen feature has been used on the DS, 3DS, Wii U, and from this report, the NX as well. The Wii U isn't a handheld, and it seems the NX will be a hybrid.

Motion controls aren't as invasive now, but games still use them (just not games that you play). It's also remained in conventional controllers in the form as gyro controls.

I'm still curious what Nintendo did to offend you, for you to be so vehemently negative about their success. All facts indicate that your arguments are wrong. Just because you dislike something does not mean it's bad. Your opinion doesn't hold THAT much weight. The second screen feature was largely accepted. Regardless of whether or not you personally like it.

Kibeth41:

deadish:

Well fuck. This is useless. I can only look at one screen at a time, 50% of the screens are wasted. Fucking gimmick.

I feel that I need to repeat... The dual screen feature has been used on the DS, 3DS, Wii U, and from this report, the NX as well. The Wii U isn't a handheld, and it seems the NX will be a hybrid.

Motion controls aren't as invasive now, but games still use them (just not games that you play). It's also remained in conventional controllers in the form as gyro controls.

I'm still curious what Nintendo did to offend you, for you to be so vehemently negative about their success. All facts indicate that your arguments are wrong. Just because you dislike something does not mean it's bad. Your opinion doesn't hold THAT much weight. The second screen feature was largely accepted. Regardless of whether or not you personally like it.

Frankly, it's better to have 1 large screen rather than 2 smaller ones. There is nothing you can do with 2 smaller screens that you can't do with one larger one.

People have dual monitors because they want more screen real estate as they run multiple programs at a time. Existing monitors already take up most of your visual range hence a 2nd monitor at an angle to the first is really the only way to go about it.

This doesn't apply to handheld consoles. The DS screen is so tiny, it definitely doesn't take up your entire visual range. Secondly, you don't run multiple programs on a handheld console. You run one program, the game - and it should be having your full attention.

Apple and oranges.

Would you want to watch a movie on a single wide screen TV or 2 4:3 TVs stack on top of each other - with the lower screen being nigh useless 90% of the time displaying trivial stuff like the credits.

Face it. Most games don't use the lower screen / don't have a good use for the lower screen. Most of the time it's used as an always open menu. It's better to have one large screen so I can have a wider view of the game world while I'm playing and do menus the old way via to pop up dialogs.

deadish:

Face it. Most games don't use the lower screen / don't have a good use for the lower screen.

Yes they do.

The reason people use dual monitor setups on PCs is so they can run multiple functions at the same time. E.g. Using Photoshop while having imagery open, playing games with some kind of strategy guide, or doing anything while having Podcasts, videos or streams open.

The reason the second screen on the DS/3DS/Wii U is used is so they can run multiple functions at the same time. E.g. Having maps open, easy access to menus, touch screen controls, alternate camera view, or splitscreen multiplayer.

Apples and apples.

Again, just because YOU PERSONALLY don't like a feature doesn't mean that NO ONE liked it. Your opinion really doesn't matter that much. All evidence from sales to the inclusiveness into future consoles points to the fact that the feature was well received. Your opinion doesn't change that fact.

Kibeth41:

deadish:

Face it. Most games don't use the lower screen / don't have a good use for the lower screen.

Yes they do.

The reason people use dual monitor setups on PCs is so they can run multiple functions at the same time. E.g. Using Photoshop while having imagery open, playing games with some kind of strategy guide, or doing anything while having Podcasts, videos or streams open.

The reason the second screen on the DS/3DS/Wii U is used is so they can run multiple functions at the same time. E.g. Having maps open, easy access to menus, touch screen controls, alternate camera view, or splitscreen multiplayer.

Apples and apples.

Again, just because YOU PERSONALLY don't like a feature doesn't mean that NO ONE liked it. Your opinion really doesn't matter that much. All evidence from sales to the inclusiveness into future consoles points to the fact that the feature was well received. Your opinion doesn't change that fact.

Again. A larger screen would have been better. Unlike on desktop where a single screen pretty much fills your field of view, the DS/3DS screens are relatively small and do not.

There is nothing you can do with 2 screens on a handheld that you can't do with 1 large one - you can even multitask just by sacrificing part of the larger screen.

Back when the DS first came out, LCD screen were probably hella expensive. But thanks to the iPhone kick starting the "smartphone revolution", small form LCD screens are now hella cheap due to economies of scale.

As such, having 2 screens now is actually more expensive than having one large one due to the need for extra control circuitry for the 2nd screen.

I take it you have heard of the 2DS. Did you know it really only has one screen? Yupe, it's one screen split in 2, the middle and bottom corners are wasted.

In summary, 1 large screen > 2 smaller ones and no desktops aren't a good comparison due to difference in screen size.

deadish:

Again. A larger screen would have been better. Unlike on desktop where a single screen pretty much fills your field of view, the DS/3DS screens are relatively small and do not.

There is nothing you can do with 2 screens on a handheld that you can't do with 1 large one - you can even multitask just by sacrificing part of the larger screen.

Back when the DS first came out, LCD screen were probably hella expensive. But thanks to the iPhone kick starting the "smartphone revolution", small form LCD screens are now hella cheap due to economies of scale.

As such, having 2 screens now is actually more expensive than having one large one due to the need for extra control circuitry for the 2nd screen.

I take it you have heard of the 2DS. Did you know it really only has one screen? Yupe, it's one screen split in 2, the middle and bottom corners are wasted.

In summary, 1 large screen > 2 smaller ones and no desktops aren't a good comparison due to difference in screen size.

You've gone off on a tangent. Screen size is completely irrelevant. I listed the uses of a second screen, and your point did nothing to refute that. Your post just gave me a sigh of exhaustion, because I can't be arsed to explain the reasoning for shapes and sizes of handheld consoles to you, in addition to the concept of aspect ratio.

Kibeth41:
You've gone off on a tangent. Screen size is completely irrelevant. I listed the uses of a second screen, and your point did nothing to refute that.

No. You are missing the point.

What is important is screen real estate - not the number of screens.

On PC, the only practical way to have more screen real estate is to have a second monitor as monitors are already as big as they can get.

On handhelds, a single bigger screen would have been a far better way to increase screen real estate than multiple screens - it advantageous that screen space isn't wasted on a freaking menu or map 24/7; i.e. on a singular large screen, if the map/menu isn't needed, it can be hidden and the screen space can be use to display the game world, something you can't do on the DS/3DS.

Sounds like Nintendo is just going to say, "fuck it!" and capitalize on their domination of the handheld market. Release a beefy 3DS NX with a docking station and direct most game development for it. Not a bad idea, but I would recommend making it wireless/BT gamepads instead of wired, otherwise its not really going to work well as a console for most living rooms without hauling 12ft (6ft x2) of cable around.

Cartridges, eh...?

Well, "cartridges" have come a long way since the N64. They're still more expensive than optical media, but not prohibitively so, especially with mass-manufacturing capabilities. A quick glance online suggests an 8 GB SD card can be yours these days for around $4-5, a 16GB one for about $6. As long as you aren't dependent on a ton of HD video or the like, that's a decent amount of space for many a game.

And, heaven knows it would be nice to have shorter load times.

I think the bigger question is whether they'll use the (presumably) somewhat smaller sizes of cartridge-sized games to bolster their online and independent developer support, one of the biggest areas where big N has fallen behind. If they could take the "connect on the road" features enjoyed by the 3DS and extend them to welcoming your new friends to play with you at home, they might just be on to something. If could keep playing games with people you met in the style of "Pokemon GO", for example... That could be a significant market base.

But, as always, the devil is in the details, and the developers. First they would need to create a network as open, understandable, and welcoming as games like Mario and Kirby have been, and agreements that would make developers want to take advantage of them.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here